- - - - -

What Does Radar Deprivation

9 replies to this topic

#1 AUssenseiter

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:21 AM

hi, i m from Germany and got 2 questions. The RADAR-DEPrivation(?) ist the only modul i miss which seems to be useful. So as soon as i step out the line of sight, im off the enemys radar?

1. As a Firestarter without ecm, wouldnt that be very useful, to slowly approach fat victims? i see on radar where they look to, i run and approach until i reach a stone to hide behind, the dont have me on radar? or does this make no difference?

2. I bought an advanced target Decay for my LRM-Orion which was i think 7500GXP+15.000GXP for both levels and 6mio c-bills. It asures me to keep enemy on my radar for 3,5 more seconds AFTER they leave the direct sight. Is this modul useless now? I dont think so an asume when i have target decay in slot, no one is gonna escape me so easy with this radar-deprivation (sorry if its written wrong). Is this right?

#2 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

Radar Deprivation breaks lock the instant you are out of sight. You still have the standard decay, and your Advance Target Decay will help extend that, but it has saved me many a time from LRMs screaming in and losing lock at the last second before they impact only scant meters away not htting me.

Keep the Adv. Target Decay. It is an essential tool for any LRM heavy mech. Also consider advanced sensors to extend your range, the LRM range extenders AND cooldown modules. They ARE worth it when you're working to maximize your capabilities.

It's too bad PGI missed the boat on making the ON1-VA a serious LRM boat with the quirks since that is what I primarily saw it being incredible at.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

From what I gather....

Radar Deprivation makes it so enemies lose target lock on you instantly when you leave their LoS, unless they have a Target Decay module, which counters this effect depending on its level (I believe ATD completely counters Radar Dep. making it so you lose target lock at the normal speed as if neither of you had the modules equipped).

I could be wrong, but I believe that is what I have learned from reading the forums.

They are both useful modules to have, if you can afford to give up something else (I usually use Radar Deprivation and Seismic Sensors, plus Advanced Sensor Range if using a 'Mech with an extra module slot). But one does not invalidate the other imo.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

Advanced Target Decay is much less useful doe to the prevalence of Radar Deprivation, but not very target will have Radar Dep. installed. If you have LRMs, keep the Target Decay module.

#5 AUssenseiter

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

ok, one more question, for a Firestarter with 8 small pulse laser, and only 1 modul slot (still basic , both weapon slots filled with SP Range + 12% cooldown), what would be the best Modul? Seismic Sensor oder Radar Deprivation? Just couldnt figure out the benfits yet from radar deprivation.

#6 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 17 December 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

(I believe ATD completely counters Radar Dep. making it so you lose target lock at the normal speed as if neither of you had the modules equipped).

I could be wrong, but I believe that is what I have learned from reading the forums.

I've never NOT broken lock instantly with Radar Deprivation and I've never read anything like that in the forums, so I'm assuming you're wrong.

Also, it gives you a cockpit flash and sound effect when lock is broken, which is very useful.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

It breaks locks as quickly as the standard decay against 'advanced target decay', which is to say almost instant (as fast or slow as your ping delay is in milliseconds).

#8 AUssenseiter

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

but that would make target decay wortless, thats not fair, it was 6 mio and lots of gxp. I dont think they create moduls that destroys others function even without mentioning it (not in th TC and not in RD explenation, no word of it)

so what about my quesiton now?

Radar Depr. oder Seismic Sensor in my Firestarter, which one is more usefull? I need to get real close to fat enemys cause my lasers have vey short range, so which modul ist best for it? ECM would be perfect, but ecm FS with 8 small Pulse ist not available, i think this mech would fuq up the whole game :P

#9 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostAUssenseiter, on 21 December 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

but that would make target decay wortless, thats not fair, it was 6 mio and lots of gxp. I dont think they create moduls that destroys others function even without mentioning it (not in th TC and not in RD explenation, no word of it)

so what about my quesiton now?

Radar Depr. oder Seismic Sensor in my Firestarter, which one is more usefull? I need to get real close to fat enemys cause my lasers have vey short range, so which modul ist best for it? ECM would be perfect, but ecm FS with 8 small Pulse ist not available, i think this mech would fuq up the whole game :P

Yes. It may seem strange and unfair, but that's how they decided to design the game.

Very little of the game mechanics is well-explained, almost as if PGI doesn't want new players to learn the game. For instance, did you know that UAV's can be destroyed from any distance? It took me a year to realize that!

Try both and see which one suits you better. They're the best modules in the game, so you'll want to unlock both anyway.
I think you should go with Seismic Sensor first. Not having Radar Dep is a better teacher for using cover properly, and having Seismic Sensor gives you an extra strategic aspect.

#10 AUssenseiter

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

i already hve all good modules.but just 1 slot, this FS im upgrading right now, has still only 1 bay. But i think seismic 250m is better, until i can install both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users