Mercenary Clansmen A Bug Quiaff?

81 replies to this topic

#21 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostNoesis, on 17 December 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Of course the Clans "never" fought one another:

Posted Image

You made your wolf den now lie in it, you are fractured by previous disagreements with your units, attacking Clansmen left and right, showing your hand openely it seems on the forums with intentions, breaking any agreements with others. Then saying that you were/are gifting planets to Clans then complaining they have been taken, sending out all sorts of mixed messages and poor diplomacy with others and still running around the forums posturing like you own the place.

it is the same for other Clans who seem to be handling the situation better so why is it only the wolves who seem to be whining about their lot? Even the Jags recgonised as a smaller Clan group seems to be handling their own and at least not complaining to the point of wanting the system changed but doing their best with what they are given, my hats off to them.

And from a lore perspective of believing that relations are supposed to be all rosey between the various Clans and that there is no infighting is a poor reflection on how they were from lore, that even assuming that we have or should follow the lore to the letter. Also the Dark Caste from Lore would have clandestine representatives within the Clans themselves who would be capable of influencing the kinds of events described even without any posturing or clandestine events within the Clans themselves. Admittedly it would not be honourable to the council of this kind of behaviour but then I guess history shows that betrayel and other missgivings in the Clans meant this wasn't always followed to the letter.

I think the prize that Clan Wolf from the books has clouded your visions somewhat and thinking that you are entitiled to what Clan Wolf did achieve from this perspective rather than playing what is MWO and making it interesting for everyone else by not having to follow how you think things should turn out.

This pride in your pack might be your undoing. It's warfare, deal with it and respect the alliances and relationships if you want to succeed with your aims, continue to waltz around thinking you own the place and expect things to work a certain way cause the books said so, won't actually help. But I guess you might simply ignore this advice continuing to implode from within and not forming good relations with others and continue to point the finger of blame elsewhere.

Clan Wolf is not fighting itself...we are not attacking our own worlds.

Some galaxies want to counter every planet taken, while I respect their right to hold that opinion, I do not share it. The ghost bears have at least attempted to be accommodating and have admitted they have rogue units beyond the main unit's ability to control.

Jade Falcon, on the other hand is only instigating trouble. I also feel were it not for the sentiments of certain known instigators, that the focus would be on the proper objective. Instead it is not the case, and it benefits no one aside from those who feel their purpose is to create strife among others.

The internet keyboard assassins and forum warriors will always persist, however, it is the actions that now speak more loudly than words.

In this instance, I have a feeling that there will be a situation play out that sees a clan turned against for the better of the community. When that does happen, it will be numbers that win. Not egos, or words, or any other sentiment, once again...actions will speak louder than words.

I regret that there are so many who would attempt to sow discord among their allies, but it seems such is life in an online game. To that end, groups will only take so much being pushed around before the actions incite a reaction. We are seeing these actions come to a head. A problem that did not need to exist will soon be solved, and hopefully the actions of the inciting faction will come to their attention, and a lesson will be learned.

Only time will tell.

Edited by Gyrok, 17 December 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#22 xfirestorm

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 17 December 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

The problem is the potential for sabotage. A merc starvag can easily fight for house Steiner then switch to clan jade falcon, lose a couple of matches on purpose in order to allow house Steiner to regain territory. This basically makes the mercs the most powerful faction in game. We don't need mercs we already have clan loyalist , please make them IS only .

Sweet Kerensky. I actually agree with a Falcon. :)

All jokes aside. I propose a rather simple solution. Diplomacy.

How will this help, you ask?
Well for one, we could keep away surats from inter-clan fighting, which have mostly be stired up by "elite-non-lore-non-RP-players".

Who will manage it?
Each faction has a few well known units, who are loyal to their faction. Make those units, the shot callers for the faction.

But this will result in jelousy etc.
Of course it will, so these first units in charge may also decide which further unit will they include for the decissions, so other units will have a chance of joining the "honchos" of a faction.

But how will this take care of dezgras who jump ship, just to lose for the other faction?
It wont. Because here I propose a history of warriors performance. If someone was always among the better players drop after drop, with occasional bad drops/days, and then all of a sudden the same person switches faction and starts playing like a total noob, there is something smelly about him. Remember the faction "honchos" from a few lines above? Well, those then have an option to kick such dezgras out, and thus they can never join the same faction again.

@hybrid black:
I will more than gladly accept your batchall, and test your non-RP > RP theory.

#23 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostPoptimus Rhyme, on 17 December 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

So alot of poisonous topics and posts in the last few days.

The majority of these "issues" threads have spawned because Mercenaries are pretending to be clanners and F'n up inter-clan relations, with their behavior.

This is a Clan Wolf example.
Well after Merc Corps contributing HEAVILY in the taking of several planets you might want to rethink that position.

As it stands Clan Wolf doesn't have enough Big Units to cover it's holdings, it needs Mercs BADLY, and that is the simple truth that YOU do NOT want to hear.

EXAMPLE: If ALL of the current Merc Units that went with a Clan Wolf contract were gone, then Clan Wolf would have to SPLIT all of it's big units to operate..

Why you ask...??? Because instead of having 4, 8 and 12 man Merc Corps helping out here and there, YOU would be reduced to relying EXCLUSIVELY on PUGS to fill YOUR gaps in anything under a 12 man group dropping.

I think the argument should end right there, I have seen Mercs contribute heavily, and even give updates on what's going on with Clan Wolf fronts/Planets.

Clan Wolf is fighting on FOUR fronts, FRR, Steiner, Ghost Bear and Jade Falcon, caught right in the middle.

Are YOU sure you want to BURN your bridges and rely ONLY on Pugs..??

I'm more then certain some Merc Corps are completely willing to accomodate your request WITHOUT PGI having to implement this ingame.

Most of the 7 day contracts will be over by tomorrow, you may just get your wish.
Then take a wild guess what will happen IF you get your wish.

Since this is Beta and the map is going to reset it doesn't really matter right now.
But in the future, who knows...?? We don't know EXACTLY what PGI will do.

Edited by Odins Fist, 17 December 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

Well, let me just say that I'm in a Merc Corp, and I do think it's kinda weird due to lore considerations and jumping around. However, we're dedicated to the cause, in whatever faction we choose to go. Sabotage is not a consideration here.

The actual problem at the moment is the reward system in terms of "what the planets will give us". Right now, there's no value outside of plastering your units name on the history of a planet... which is a cool thing, but useless in rewards.

If you have actual fear of sabotage, contract values should be affected by the success or failure of the matches. Right now, we're all essentially given a flat rate of winning, but that doesn't mean much. If we pledge our loyalty to win at all costs, more should be given. The same goes for losing often to a certain extent.

The thing Mercs care about is the money... and so if rewarded properly, there is no problem for staying in a particular faction until the situation changes. It is always about the highest bidder after all.

What would also help is improving the value of a contract of a struggling faction. I know PGI has kinda addressed it, but it's not sufficient because planets don't contribute to "other gains" at all. While people are doing their jobs, others aren't.. so it makes the see-saw nature of things more difficult than they should be.

Anyways, there are still going to be factions that need more help than others... so an incentive for Mercs to help them out is for the best interests of the game and the faction to have it work that way. I mean, it is "easier" to stack on some factions "for easy wins", but you don't want any particular faction to shrink to nothing because it ultimately wouldn't be good for the game.

#25 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Dear Clanners,

You're funny... can't say I blame you for all the worth it is to love lore and have love for the Inner Sphere. You left it to preserve it, go back to your little cluster of worlds if you truly wish to protect the I.S. Wardens can understand... too bad you Crusaders are ignorant of your Founder's philosophy.

Lastly... we love contractions... you'll never get us to stop using them... can't, won't, ain't happening.

Sincerely,
The Inner Sphere :P

#26 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 17 December 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Dear Clanners,

You're funny... can't say I blame you for all the worth it is to love lore and have love for the Inner Sphere. You left it to preserve it, go back to your little cluster of worlds if you truly wish to protect the I.S. Wardens can understand... too bad you Crusaders are ignorant of your Founder's philosophy.

Lastly... we love contractions... you'll never get us to stop using them... can't, won't, ain't happening.

Sincerely,

inb4 the Kuritas Wipe you

look little davion thinks hes the whole innersphere.

#27 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 17 December 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Dear Clanners,

Sincerely,

Theses contractions... My eyes! They are burning!!!

Uaaaarrrrrgggg!!!!

#28 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 December 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

inb4 the Kuritas Wipe you

look little davion thinks he's the whole innersphere.

I fixed that contraction for you buddy :D You're welcome.

#29 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostGrendel408, on 17 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

How dare you put our sentences into contractions! That is not the clan way. This means war!!!

#30 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostGrendel408, on 17 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I am officialy Blind. Thank you stravag!

#31 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostGyrok, on 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Jade Falcon, on the other hand is only instigating trouble.

Because you know, the Wolves and the Falcons have always been best buddies. They'd never have a dispute that resulted in a trial of possession over a disputed world.

#32 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

I've recommended elsewhere that you Clansmen should ask the Moderators to lock your Clan threads to admit only Clan faction players so the non-clan cannot bother you.

#33 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 17 December 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

We will hear a lot of hate sir, but i agree with your post.

I mean, a Clan Wolf banner does not make you a Wolf, your action and behaviour do.

You are absolutely right. As per lore, shouldn't you be betraying the rest of the Clans to the IS soon? :P

#34 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostDavers, on 18 December 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

You are absolutely right. As per lore, shouldn't you be betraying the rest of the Clans to the IS soon? :P

Well, our hand were kinda forced.... You know... Little stuff, trial of annihilation and all that [Hahoooouuuuuuuu]...

But we did take out the Jade Falcons with us, get rid of a good portion of our Crusaders Elements AND take place in the Inner Sphere following our Leader Phelan Wolf/Ward/Kell.

Beside, we are only in 3049 so we've got a few years before that. ^^

Edited by KuroNyra, 18 December 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#35 jarien13

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 18 December 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

How dare you put our sentences into contractions! That is not the clan way. This means war!!!

Just 'cause y'all left the apostrophes out don't mean it wasn't a contraction.

#36 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 17 December 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

The problem is the potential for sabotage. A merc starvag can easily fight for house Steiner then switch to clan jade falcon, lose a couple of matches on purpose in order to allow house Steiner to regain territory. This basically makes the mercs the most powerful faction in game. We don't need mercs we already have clan loyalist , please make them IS only .

Indeed, but mercs are payed for wining, not losing.

I agree mercenaries should not work for the Clans (lore-wise this is absurd), but you guys are a little paranoid.
If someone is sabotaging you, it is the PUGs, who attack the first planet they see. For your information, they do the same with the IS factions (see Davion PUGs attacking Steiner, despite the efforts of the big units).

#37 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 December 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

Indeed, but mercs are payed for wining, not losing.

I agree mercenaries should not work for the Clans (lore-wise this is absurd), but you guys are a little paranoid.
If someone is sabotaging you, it is the PUGs, who attack the first planet they see. For your information, they do the same with the IS factions (see Davion PUGs attacking Steiner, despite the efforts of the big units).

No one gets paid for losing, because being dead is being dead xD

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 December 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#38 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 December 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

No one gets paid for losing, because being dead is being dead xD

I'm talking about how the game works.
In CW, you get rewards for winning, not losing. It would not be productive for players to lose on purpose.

#39 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:43 AM

if mercs joined IS only, pgi would need to reset the map every 10 days because mercstar and units like it would push the clans back to their captials immediately. thats not to say i dont respect the permanent CGB teams because they are by far the best, better then most of the permanent IS house units, and without them MS wouldnt have the luxury of getting to play IS mechs and still keep our alliances in clan space.

but quite simply with everyone from SJR to Lords to 228th to Mercstar pressing back at clans, even the hordes of RP nerds couldnt stop us. especially the clan wolf guys who can barely handle lords, much less the entire MRBC. and with only 10 planets to lose you guys would get bored really quickly.

and lets be honest. people want to be able to play IS and clans. everyones ability to enjoy the game isnt overruled by your lore hardon.

Edited by LegoPirate, 19 December 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#40 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 December 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

Neg. We are only working to make real the true and too often forgotten Alexander Kerensky's dream - but hey, that is what every single Clansman will say about his Clan.. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users