#141 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

Lords, wow.

Normally when we would drop against them it is so how many can we try to kill this time. A few months ago for us it was a wish to kill just one, now it is how many.

#142 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

I saw this today...

Posted Image

#143 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostJames Montana, on 18 December 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

I haven't had the chance to fight these guys yet, but geez, I don't think I want to waste my time with them.

Oh, I beg to differ. I kind of want to play against these guys after having read this.
Well... I would... if I could drop in and out of matches for training faster.

#144 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostDjPush, on 17 December 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'm just paying those guys a compliment and choosing not play them again in the future. I am not in their league. Nobody was complaining.

If human nature is any indication, after a few weeks or months CW will have lost its novelty and shininess and it'll be mostly the big, well-trained competitive Units left playing it so you might not have to fight them again if you stick to the other 2 queues. By then PGI will have (hopefully) ironed out all the problems they find in the meantime with Invasion mode and make it available for the solo and group queues where most of the players will be.

If things continue as is, the big competitive Units who claim they want a challenge will fight each other almost exclusively (a few others will join them); the small casual groups can fight each other (and not be farmed by the big competitive groups) and the soloists will fight soloists (unless unscrupulous Units sync-drop, which is unreliable).

#145 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Why do people freak out about the Lords and SJR?

I guess all the people **** talking them never actually played them til now. GGclose.

Anyways, for SJR and the Lords, in the seas of CW they are more akin to a Special Forces unit; in that woe be to he who faces them, but they are so few in number that they hardly make a difference in the outcome of it all.

The uber-elite SF units win battles, but the lowly groundpounder win wars.

Quantity has it's own quality (which scares me if SA ever decides to turn its hordes upon the Inner Sphere with ghost drops).

#146 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

If you cannot beat them, slow them down. Make the match take a full 30 minutes by being very difficult to kill. LORDS cannot be everywhere at once. Therefore, you should focus on destorying the CJF other groups to force their retreat. Well it is a possiblity anyway.

Tyman

#147 Kampfer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 17 December 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Really!!?? Have you lost all self respect, or are you just born to grovel at others' feet?

They bleed and die just like the rest of us, only they hit back just a little harder.

Deal with it, and grow a pair.

Lord insults people who don't give them a challenge as they steam roll everything in sight, why should people play against them only to be insulted when they have little chance of defeating them on Boreal?

View PostTyman4, on 22 December 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

If you cannot beat them, slow them down. Make the match take a full 30 minutes by being very difficult to kill. LORDS cannot be everywhere at once. Therefore, you should focus on destorying the CJF other groups to force their retreat. Well it is a possiblity anyway.

Tyman

Doesn't happen, Lord hops the wall and starts spawn camping you, the Drop Ships are the only thing that does any damage to them at that point.

#148 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 21 December 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

I guess all the people **** talking them never actually played them til now. GGclose.

Anyways, for SJR and the Lords, in the seas of CW they are more akin to a Special Forces unit; in that woe be to he who faces them, but they are so few in number that they hardly make a difference in the outcome of it all.

Quantity has it's own quality (which scares me if SA ever decides to turn its hordes upon the Inner Sphere with ghost drops).

agreed in principle.....though the amount of time I see them in group drops...sometimes I swear they're stalking me! :unsure:

#149 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

Individual skill isn't very important in MWO - it is one of the great things about the game.

Any company in game - Clan or IS who is doing well is generally doing so because of ritual of teamwork practice in the group queue prior.

Want to be Lords?
Know the maps.
Be efficient on coms.
Standardize your drop-decks/mech order throughout your group before entering the group/faction queue.
Organize your drop-decks/mechs via synergies.
Practice teamwork.

You know how you get left out of a 'competitive' group?
Ignore drop commands.
Whine.
Fall behind.
Regularly get out of position.
Fail to communicate.

Notice how individual aim/skill isn't on this list?

There's a reason you'll see an old schooler clans drop in 6 Timberwolves, 2 Hellbringers and who knows what else - or 6 Thunderbolts, a couple Atlas etc.

When you have mechs with the same speed and effective engagement distance in a cluster it makes it -very- easy for a drop commander to make quick and effective decisions.

#150 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 21 December 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

Which SA are you referring to? Certainly not us, we rarely if ever see an autowin, and I personally never have.

#151 Kiryuin Ragyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationNorth Korea

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Adjust drop weigh to 400 tons I'll show thos [Nerd's] who is the Dady of the Galaxy.

Posted Image

#152 Tsig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostKiryuin Ragyo, on 22 December 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Adjust drop weigh to 400 tons I'll show thos [Nerd's] who is the Dady of the Galaxy.

Posted Image

Yes, please drop in your 4 Dire Wolves...watch the Lords not give a single **** and core you out in seconds before moving on to farm the rest of your team.

#153 Killaxis

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostFather Dougal, on 17 December 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

We've played against them before, yes they are good but they are not good sports about it. We take great pleasure when we do beat them. They are human and they can be beaten.

I take great pleasure in killing a LORD even if its just one...and I die soon after....

#154 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 22 December 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Which SA are you referring to? Certainly not us, we rarely if ever see an autowin, and I personally never have.

Nah, Something Aweful, home base of the Goons.

#155 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Just two cents worth of advice.

There are a lot of "Good" Teams out there and every one of them can be beaten. Team Tactics usually comes down to one or two mechs and the decision can go either way.

Any guild/clan/team/group who practices know this.... not to knock the lords but they bleed just like anyone else.

#156 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Don't forget guys, if PGI so wishes, they can increase the difficulty in taking planets from the planets near CJF space, in the future. They could also increase the number of planets up for contention on their side of the boundary. Due to their selection criteria (Eglar mentioned to me that you need to be nominated by a large number of other unit members before you're accepted), meaning there are very few of them all up, so if too many of their planets were up for contention they would lose planets no matter how much they win. This would be the most straightforward solution to dampen their current advantage.

Edited by Flying Fox 333, 22 December 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#157 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostRhaegor, on 21 December 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I saw this today...

Posted Image

I was in that round, Proton killed the 7 first mechs in the first 2 minutes of the match before a single gate was open. His aim was uncanny, no matter how much I twisted he would core my CT in 2 hits using medium and large clan lasers.

#158 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 22 December 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

I was in that round, Proton killed the 7 first mechs in the first 2 minutes of the match before a single gate was open. His aim was uncanny, no matter how much I twisted he would core my CT in 2 hits using medium and large clan lasers.

What range are you trading at that you can get cored in 2 hits? Before the gates are open, most people are trading at 700-800m range where C-ERML have significant damage fall off. It sounds more likely that the 3 HOL pilots were focusing down targets so it feels like 2 hits even outside damage fall off range.

3k damage matches shouldn't be that uncommon especially if the rest of your team isn't putting up big numbers. I'm counting a lance and a half of sub-500 damage players...

Proton, Coburn, and Trev are all exceptional pilots though and it's always fun to play with them :)

#159 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

View Postpwnface, on 22 December 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

What range are you trading at that you can get cored in 2 hits? Before the gates are open, most people are trading at 700-800m range where C-ERML have significant damage fall off. It sounds more likely that the 3 HOL pilots were focusing down targets so it feels like 2 hits even outside damage fall off range.

3k damage matches shouldn't be that uncommon especially if the rest of your team isn't putting up big numbers. I'm counting a lance and a half of sub-500 damage players...

Proton, Coburn, and Trev are all exceptional pilots though and it's always fun to play with them :)

He was about 500m from me way up the left side of the hill on the other side of the Beta gate. I was down in front of the gate. He was in a Hellbringer and popping off mechs one after another and he was the only one that had line of sight on us. I didn't even know mechs could get that high on the hill.

#160 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

There really isn't a reason to be trading against clan mechs at 500m before the gate opens. IS mechs have ERPPCs / ERLL / Gauss which all work great at longer ranges, fighting clan mechs at 500m is asking to get hurt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users