224 replies to this topic

#21 Maver0ick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 228 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

I googled her. She doesn't seem that scary.
Posted Image

#22 EGL

• PipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGRF-3M Cockpit

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

Use organzation. Use comms to call and shoot targets. Use the best mechs in the game in premade stars\lances against pugs while defending. Not impressed with individual skill. Get a 12 man on comms and they won't seem so daunting.

#23 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostDavers, on 17 December 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

No, I am pretty sure their advantage is that they are some of the most skilled players in the game. They routinely beat people back to their drop ship and farm them there. They turn the game into a rout. This is not a dig at them either. I imagine fighting them would be very demoralizing.

WHat!! You have never fought against them? Or just in CW? They decimate Pugs like a slaughter house.... I know for a Fact your ELO is way higher than mine so I find it interesting to note that Davers has not fought them yet (I"m assuming CW only).

I know there is no ELO in CW.

LORD is also in multiple houses.... FYI...

I played 2 games against them.... they are all clans and will destroy almost any mech instantly trying to open a gate with their long range weapons...

I actually thanked them for not immediately drop ship camping once we did get the gate open... although they did go through the gate (Snow map ..we were attacking with PUGS)... they responded with " Die First Birth Inner Sphere Scum" or something to that effect

#24 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostLORD TSARKON, on 17 December 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

WHat!! You have never fought against them? Or just in CW? They decimate Pugs like a slaughter house.... I know for a Fact your ELO is way higher than mine so I find it interesting to note that Davers has not fought them yet (I"m assuming CW only).

I know there is no ELO in CW.

LORD is also in multiple houses.... FYI...

I played 2 games against them.... they are all clans and will destroy almost any mech instantly trying to open a gate with their long range weapons...

I actually thanked them for not immediately drop ship camping once we did get the gate open... although they did go through the gate (Snow map ..we were attacking with PUGS)... they responded with " Die First Birth Inner Sphere Scum" or something to that effect

I have faced them in the group queue, and in solo matches. I would like to say I held my own, but no. My fun builds (like Blackjacks) that do really well and got me into high Elo were literally no match vs their accuracy. In several matches I was downed in pretty much seconds by 2 of them focus firing on my XL sides from near max range. In two of my matches I scored a whopping zero damage. There is a reason many comp builds use standard engines. If you are not used to playing in the comp scene, you don't realize how fast and aggressive play can be- no ten minutes of firing lines or LRM exchanges there.

That said, I do enjoy playing against them. Much like I would like to fence against an Olympian medalist. It's a learning experience. But knowing that you lost the game in your first wave of mechs, and have to sit through 3 more would suck. At least the attacker's dropshjps are getting 7 ERLL in the upcoming patch.

#25 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

We've played against them before, yes they are good but they are not good sports about it. We take great pleasure when we do beat them. They are human and they can be beaten.

#26 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostDiablobo, on 17 December 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Really!!?? Have you lost all self respect, or are you just born to grovel at others' feet?

They bleed and die just like the rest of us, only they hit back just a little harder.

Deal with it, and grow a pair.

They may bleed and die like the rest, but they certainly don't hit detect like the me.

Watch Sean lang play. His hit detection is so could he could perform laser eye surgery on a flying spider even with the games hit detection being its worst right now than it has ever been.

This video is a few days old

https://www.youtube....?v=1biR0LUV5Lc.

One thing in common all high end players seem to have it a good stable connection to mwo. Ping is only half the story.

Combine high ping with a unstable connection and it will change your "skill" level more than playing with a mech that is only using half its available tonnage.

Edited by l33tworks, 17 December 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#27 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

The Lords are good, I'll freely give them that. The dealings I've had with them... Most of them seem to be jackasses. (Though Sun Cobra's cool, he's popped into my Twitch a couple times and was pretty laid back.) And my big thing is that life is too short to game with a-holes.

#28 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

Funny thing is...people theorized they wouldn't have much of an impact on CW. They pretty much won it on the first week. They will dominate the whole thing. I don't see anyone being able to match them in the current system.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 17 December 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#29 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostDavers, on 17 December 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

No, I am pretty sure their advantage is that they are some of the most skilled players in the game. They routinely beat people back to their drop ship and farm them there. They turn the game into a rout. This is not a dig at them either. I imagine fighting them would be very demoralizing.

Meh, save your arty for when you respawn. :lol:

Morale? FRR gots plenty. We are gonna need it. But hey, death is just a test to get to Valhalla. Pass and you get free beer till Ragnarok. Not too shabby.

There are ways to beat them. Very unconventional, but ways. I have an idea that calls for some Spider V. But it would take lots of coordination. Lots.

#30 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

The insults should make you get mad, aspire to become better so you can toss the "ggclose" back in their faces, then come back as better players and give them a real fight.

At least, that's how it is for me. I've dropped against them in group queue a few times. It was a rout, but that just makes me want to get better so I can return the favor at some point in the future.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 December 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

The insults should make you get mad, aspire to become better so you can toss the "ggclose" back in their faces, then come back as better players and give them a real fight.

At least, that's how it is for me. I've dropped against them in group queue a few times. It was a rout, but that just makes me want to get better so I can return the favor at some point in the future.

Meh. Unless you embrace gaming the mechanics, it really doesn't matter. (And hey, they don't cheat, so I ain't complaining, they just play for a different reason, a different type of entertainment, than me).

If minmax broke mechanic mongering is what it takes to beat them, well, that's not what I log on to do.

#32 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Meh. Unless you embrace gaming the mechanics, it really doesn't matter. (And hey, they don't cheat, so I ain't complaining, they just play for a different reason, a different type of entertainment, than me).

If minmax broke mechanic mongering is what it takes to beat them, well, that's not what I log on to do.

How many Lords are there?

Thats how you beat them. Not min/maxing mechanics. You will lose the match against them. Play the board.

#33 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

I did a little intarweb research and these guys aren't christian rock band enthusiasts all.

but seriously, all this gushing is embarrassing, it is like you are building a monument to failure. Even if you don't think you can compete directly, then stop and think about it; how many wins does it require to take a planet from someone, 11. How many teams of 12 can they defend a planet with? As Sir Isaac Newton once said, "Math is the deadliest sonabitch in space"

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 17 December 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#34 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 17 December 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Funny thing is...people theorized they wouldn't have much of an impact on CW. They pretty much won it on the first week. They will dominate the whole thing. I don't see anyone being able to match them in the current system.

I personally theorized the opposite, that certain super units (including Lordes) would dominate. Not much can be done about it other than hoping that more people manage to git gud and get on their level.

#35 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I don't generally min-max, either. Shoot, you shot me in the face last night while I hobbled around in a legged Locust, that's hardly min-maxing it.

But in CW, I want to win. I want to take territory and expand that yellow section of the board. Sometimes, that requires more...optimal...'Mechs. If I could get even three other people to run twin ERPPC TDR-9S builds and we all co-ordinated fire, the opposition would be getting pretty well beat-up. If six of us ran that same build, the opposition would get decimated. That is, assuming the opposition isn't doing the same, which is not a safe assumption because some of them are.

I get fun playing my favorite machines and brawling it out or whatever, but I also get fun out of winning by any means necessary. I get fun from a lot of places.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 December 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I don't generally min-max, either. Shoot, you shot me in the face last night while I hobbled around in a legged Locust,

you're not still holding that against me are you......

#37 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

I thought it was funny. I thought you were the other Hunch with the exposed torso sections and I was going to try and perform laser surgery. :P

I was, however, frustrated at my team, on comms, not shooting down the two UAVs you guys had up after I called it out three times. That's why I got legged: LRMs over the hill. :(

#38 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 December 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I personally theorized the opposite, that certain super units (including Lordes) would dominate. Not much can be done about it other than hoping that more people manage to git gud and get on their level.

I think most reasonable people figured that the game's self-appointed aristocracy would **** all over the rest of us space-plebs in rather alarming fashion.

Many of us also said that this would be a pretty terrible thing for the game's health, especially since this same aristocracy does so in such a degrading manner. This is a game after all. Most of us aren't so masochistic that we would chose to have our asses handed to us because we somehow find it fun. What kind of lunatic actually wants to be cannon fodder? Hell, EVE Online, which has a far more developed metagame, has shown that, for the majority of people, it only takes one really demoralizing defeat to cause people to just go inactive (Unless you're Goons, ofc. They're like cockroaches blessed with absurdly high morale).

I know a lot of people like to play pretend space-soldier and say "this is WAR!!!" in forum posts, but cut the melodrama and get some perspective. This is a silly free-to-play game with internet robots. As people get fed up with being curbstomped, they'll just flee to the PUG queue to play for an hour or two a day before quitting to play a different game altogether. There goes the majority of your footsoldiers. If people think queue times are bad now, they have no idea.

Anyone saying that it's just a matter of getting on comms or being organized is severely underestimating the opponents that we're talking about here. While I may find most of them to be rather deplorable examples of human beings, shamelessly representing the worst stereotypes of our chosen hobby, there's no denying the fact that they pertain to a completely different class of players. People do not get egos that inflated by being mediocre. They are damn good and they know that you are not.

Bottom line, if players are already just downing tools instead of fighting these überunits after less than a week of play . . . well, that really cannot be good.

#39 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

Okay, I have to say I am amused.

Only the Lords can cause this much drama. :D

Seriously, just scratch the match off and carry on. They're among the best of the best but that doesn't mean they won't die with skillful (or very liberal) application of firepower.

#40 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostInRev, on 17 December 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I think most reasonable people figured that the game's self-appointed aristocracy would **** all over the rest of us space-plebs in rather alarming fashion.

Many of us also said that this would be a pretty terrible thing for the game's health, especially since this same aristocracy does so in such a degrading manner. This is a game after all. Most of us aren't so masochistic that we would chose to have our asses handed to us because we somehow find it fun. What kind of lunatic actually wants to be cannon fodder? Hell, EVE Online, which has a far more developed metagame, has shown that, for the majority of people, it only takes one really demoralizing defeat to cause people to just go inactive (Unless you're Goons, ofc. They're like cockroaches blessed with absurdly high morale).

I know a lot of people like to play pretend space-soldier and say "this is WAR!!!" in forum posts, but cut the melodrama and get some perspective. This is a silly free-to-play game with internet robots. As people get fed up with being curbstomped, they'll just flee to the PUG queue to play for an hour or two a day before quitting to play a different game altogether. There goes the majority of your footsoldiers. If people think queue times are bad now, they have no idea.

Anyone saying that it's just a matter of getting on comms or being organized is severely underestimating the opponents that we're talking about here. While I may find most of them to be rather deplorable examples of human beings, shamelessly representing the worst stereotypes of our chosen hobby, there's no denying the fact that they pertain to a completely different class of players. People do not get egos that inflated by being mediocre. They are damn good and they know that you are not.

Bottom line, if players are already just downing tools instead of fighting these überunits after less than a week of play . . . well, that really cannot be good.

What can be done about it? Tell the Lords and similar units that they are just too good to play with the rest of us? Maybe PGI will be able to set up a map where different objectives had different rewards, so the more competitive units would voluntarily segregate themselves fighting for those worlds. But I think that would require a much larger player base. Fingers crossed for Steam I guess?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users