• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostScratx, on 17 December 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Okay, I have to say I am amused.

Only the Lords can cause this much drama. :D

Seriously, just scratch the match off and carry on. They're among the best of the best but that doesn't mean they won't die with skillful (or very liberal) application of firepower.

Pretty small time compared to the drama the Goons in EVE cause on a daily basis.

http://www.themittan...lod-go-back-wow

And yes, that really happened. ;)

Edited by ShadowWolf Kell, 17 December 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#42 HBizzle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 522 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 17 December 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Is [Lord] the no-profanity merc company or the one that quotes christian rock lyrics during the match?

This is the greatest post in the history of this forum.

They lost 2 planets today.

#43 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

I think their team play overshadows the fact they are actually normal pilots. 1v1 I have no problem out brawling and beating any Lord player I have come into contact with (not tooting my horn here), but this game is not a 1v1, especially invasion mode. It is a hardcore team cooperative mode; And Lord has clearly been practicing their team strategies and mechanics long before invasion mode. They are a very solid group in this respect, you wont beat them with solo efforts or with poorly coordinated units.

I am more than sure that now that CW is out, there are units out their that are just starting working on their unit strategies, and in time Lord will be the run of the mill competitive unit. Currently, as mentioned earlier, they are really the only competitive unit out there that has practiced unit tactics as hard as they did.

Edited by SovietArmada, 17 December 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#44 Star Colonel Silver Surat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Seems to me that Lords are doing a perfect job at replicating the shock and awe factor of the fictional Clan they represent. And their sheer arrogance engenders the same sort of hatred among those they beat as they Jade Falcons did when they steamrolled the Inner Sphere at first. So Lords are doing a better job at being authentic to their chosen faction than pretty much anyone else, except for the fact they spam dishonourable artillery like mad and focus fire rather than do single combat.

The secret to beating them of course, is the same that the Inner Sphere used to beat the Clans in the fiction (and the Allies used to beat Napoleon in 1815 and Germany in WW2): ceasefires between the outmatched Great Houses followed by Alliances and unified counter-attacks that overwhelm them with sheer numbers. And then let Wolf finish them off :)

Alternatively, you could keep losing and hope Comstar (PGI) intervenes and puts up a 15 year truce line.

#45 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

How it feels to be a solo dropper facing a Lords team summed up in one image:

Posted Image

:)

The guys are good, and I'd much rather leave those fights to the units at their level.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 17 December 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#46 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

Ok. Lords can be scary, very very scary.

But I have seen them **** up bad. All it takes is for one to do something stupid. Best case is to be in a big group and focus. And try not to get pinned down.

Also, without a team? They might as well be any other PUGer. I've minced a few in Solo with a Locust...

#47 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

I've been needing extra CBillls lately so have been solo dropping in Assault/Skirmish. I get faster games, earn more money and everyone seems to be much friendlier and relaxed now. I doubt I will come across these types of people on this side of the fence too often now :)

Cheers
Eboli

#48 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 December 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

The insults should make you get mad, aspire to become better so you can toss the "ggclose" back in their faces, then come back as better players and give them a real fight.

At least, that's how it is for me. I've dropped against them in group queue a few times. It was a rout, but that just makes me want to get better so I can return the favor at some point in the future.

It's odd. I've run into solo Lord pilots in the PuG queue and I've fought with and against Lord in the group queue. I can't seem to recall them ever being very chatty on the general channel. Maybe they talk more trash when they're playing for stakes.

And I don't know about anyone else, but being a **** doesn't inspire me to get better so I can be a **** back. It just inspires me to ignore you.

#49 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostBleary, on 18 December 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

It's odd. I've run into solo Lord pilots in the PuG queue and I've fought with and against Lord in the group queue. I can't seem to recall them ever being very chatty on the general channel. Maybe they talk more trash when they're playing for stakes.

And I don't know about anyone else, but being a **** doesn't inspire me to get better so I can be a **** back. It just inspires me to ignore you.

As a rule, most of them don't act like tools until you get them in a group..........that doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but it does tend to lead one to the conclusion that they feed off of each other........something along the lines of say your average street punk.......catch him alone and he's subdued, some might even say meek, but when he's got a few buddies to back him up he suddenly becomes seven feet tall and bullet proof. (in his mind anyway)

#50 WhoopieMonster

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

I have fought along side a LORD lance a few times in CW, and whilst very good at stompy robots they were a bunch of caps lock using jerks that made the game unfun for the rest of us despite the win.

Being told to constantly move to a location only to see the lord lance **** off somewhere else with no explanation leads to confusion amongst pugs. I know they knew what they were doing but only telling people half the plan and then caps lock RAGE and insults when people appear confused and dare to question the self appointent overlords is not a fun experiance.

"GO B4"

"Alright, omw"

"Where are you going?"

"I SAID GO F**CKING B4"

fun times...

Edited by WhoopieMonster, 18 December 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#51 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostBleary, on 18 December 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

It's not necessarily a desire to get good so you can counter-jerk as much as it is a desire to get good so they look like imbeciles when they lose after smack talk. However, you should know that the Lords want a good fight. It's more fun for them that way, and it would be more fun for you, too, if you were capable of standing toe to toe with them. It's in everybody's best interest that we all become better team players.

Of course, another way to troll them back would be to take their House of Lords coat of arms, stick it to your forum signature, and trololol your way around the MWO boards without them being able to do diddly squat about it.

#52 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 December 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

However, you should know that the Lords want a good fight.

This; i have trouble believing. In most units/clans competing in online games; there's a certain atmosphere building up; and those seem the kind of guys who really get off on a good roflstomp.

This doesn't say anything about their playing style; they obviously know how to pilot extremely skillfully; but the attitude is deplorable. I've never been anywhere near their level except in an obscure game back in 2004; but even then i tried to talk my clanmates out of trainings on public servers; it was the equivalent of a bunch of 16 year olds ganging up on primary school kids. The fun diminished quickly; but the tendency to high-five each other afterwards while talking smugly was downright appaling. The interesting thing is; they were otherwise really cool and approachable guys; but this triggers something very basic in the human brain i guess.

On the positive side: i've barely fought in CW so far; but the atmosphere in group/solo seems to have improved considerably :)

Edited by Latorque, 18 December 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#53 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostCavale, on 17 December 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Ok. Lords can be scary, very very scary.

But I have seen them **** up bad. All it takes is for one to do something stupid. Best case is to be in a big group and focus. And try not to get pinned down.

Also, without a team? They might as well be any other PUGer. I've minced a few in Solo with a Locust...

Well, some of them have really good aim, so there's that. But then again, they're hardly the only ones with good aim. It really is the teamplay that makes them so good.

#54 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostLatorque, on 18 December 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

This; i have trouble believing. In most units/clans competing in online games; there's a certain atmosphere building up; and those seem the kind of guys who really get off on a good roflstomp.

This doesn't say anything about their playing style; they obviously know how to pilot extremely skillfully; but the attitude is deplorable. I've never been anywhere near their level except in an obscure game back in 2004; but even then i tried to talk my clanmates out of trainings on public servers; it was the equivalent of a bunch of 16 year olds ganging up on primary school kids. The fun diminished quickly; but the tendency to high-five each other afterwards while talking smugly was downright appaling. The interesting thing is; they were otherwise really cool and approachable guys; but this triggers something very basic in the human brain i guess.

On the positive side: i've barely fought in CW so far; but the atmosphere there seems to have improved considerably :)

Did you see the Lords hate thread? In there, they said it themselves: they want players to get better so they have a reason to actually try. That's why they lay the crap-talk on when they stomp uncoordinated players: they want the bad groups to either quit playing so they will only drop against good groups or those bad groups to become good groups themselves.

#55 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:29 AM

Yea I agree the Lords in team formation are good. But its there nature and little comments which give them the hated rep through out the game but I agree in a 1 on 1 battle most can be put down with a decent player if the player knows what he is doing. I crushed some with IS mechs mainly my Atlas. Also Ping is another major factor. I have trouble with Lasers mostly clan ones due too long burn times. My Ping of 290 makes it hard too engage fast moving targets as most times even if its a Mad cat the weapons vanish inside the mech and even go right through them judging now is top if you want too hit the target with more then 200 ping, Trying too keep a clan ER large laser does not work cause on your screen the laser is on target on the sever side it is not.

#56 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:30 AM

Dropdeck and team synergy is what generates your aggregate force multiplier.
You can't put just anybody into metabuilds and expect immediate results. Likewise, you can't put good pilots into special snowflake builds and expect not to handicap yourself.

Sometimes it is also good to go back and review the basics like proper mouse sensitivity.

Anyways, I see complaints about "cheese", "meta", "tryhards", etc etc etc, a lot more often then you guys get ggclose'd.

I also see people bringing stock mechs which basically means they are in handicap mode.

Speaking about CW of course.

#57 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 18 December 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

Dropdeck and team synergy is what generates your aggregate force multiplier.
You can't put just anybody into metabuilds and expect immediate results. Likewise, you can't put good pilots into special snowflake builds and expect not to handicap yourself.

Sometimes it is also good to go back and review the basics like proper mouse sensitivity.

Anyways, I see complaints about "cheese", "meta", "tryhards", etc etc etc, a lot more often then you guys get ggclose'd.

I also see people bringing stock mechs which basically means they are in handicap mode.

Speaking about CW of course.

but meta builds do assist in fighting but in comp its what you do because the enemy team will field just the same.

I remember when I used a poptart victor it only took 2 days too get the hang of it and it was doing insane damage and kills. How ever due too my OCD disorder I prefer too pilot mechs more in a cannon line but yea at the end of the day its the pilot behind the controls which decide the fate..oh and the ping doesn't hurt either lol.

#58 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostR Razor, on 17 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Or..........play a game the way you want to play it, you know, for fun........instead of letting some webwarrior use pathetic insults in an effort to shame you into playing the way they think you should play.

Best thing that could happen to this game is that some folks get bored and quit altogether, and Push isn't one of them.

competitive games allow no fun, and thats the reaosn why many onlinegames not having millions of gamers die, they cater their games to the elite gamers and then die off by population. MWO isn't LoL, or WoW.

#59 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:57 AM

After playing badminton at league and county level for many years, the one thing I have learned that the only way to get better is regular practice and playing against people better than you.

Nothing is learned by playing people who you have already eclipsed, only by playing those who you can learn something from.

It isn't about manning up and growing a pair as some have put it, it's about learning from your mistakes and learning from people who can teach you something.

So in conclusion, do not stop playing against people because you are losing as it's the best way to improve.

#60 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 December 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

Did you see the Lords hate thread? In there, they said it themselves: they want players to get better so they have a reason to actually try. That's why they lay the crap-talk on when they stomp uncoordinated players: they want the bad groups to either quit playing so they will only drop against good groups or those bad groups to become good groups themselves.

Based on my experiences; i have serious trouble believing this. Even the the most unrepentant evil normally has a completely believable explanation for itself that justifies its action, and this idea of being horrible so others may work themselves up to your skill level through bad example just to get back at you is just twisted; in addition to manipulative and unlikely to work; at least in the way it's intended.

Bad groups leaving or using the same mechanics? That's basically ****ting the nest. My idea of fun is very different from theirs. Of course playing to win is more fun - if you don't take a game seriously to a certain extent; playing is indeed wasted time. If you take it too seriously; you can rather quick open a nasty can of worms. Add to this the anonymity of this environment; and you only justify the worst kind of action taken against you (in this regard, the "wolves burning out the clock" - thread is a quite interesting read, it's not even just combat mechanics in use after such a short amount of time since CW is even implemented).

Getting my ass handed to me by a superior player? I've never got a problem with this. Him being a smug ******* afterwards? It may be only me; but again based on former experiences; this empties the playing field faster than you can say "Maybe we shouldn't have engaged in pseudomachiavellistic schemes to enforce our way of playing and our idea of fun."

One group of players won't be able to do this; but if this behaviour spreads as intended... oh yes. CW will be for the hardcore crowd; but i fear it may be a "crowd" you can count with the use of of your fingers and toes.

Edited by Latorque, 18 December 2014 - 04:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users