- - - - -

Oh Yea, I'm Terrible

144 replies to this topic

#1 Clawgore

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

Oh yea, I'm terrible and I offer heartfelt apologies to everyone. I've played for 4 days and I'm still working on all of the things I can do wrong. The only good news I have for you is that I am beginning to understand where I am going wrong.
  • I finally figured out that I can hurt my team mates when I am shooting at a bad guy and they walk in front of me. After watching videos I realized that I can stop doing that by yanking my fire into the ground.
  • Thanks to all of the forum posts I've read I now understand that I should not be in front. Oh Lord, thank you for revealing that piece of wisdom. Yea, I'm the guy that used to die in less than 1 minute 20 seconds. Now I can last over 2 minutes, and sometimes until the end of the battle.
  • "That tactic is not going to get you very far. You need to stick with your lance." My dead team mates words still ring in my head because I guess he was in spectator mode and saw me all by myself. You know that little map at the bottom of your screen that shows your lance mates? Well, I cannot see that thing when I'm looking for bad guys. Not all of the time. I'm learning to watch it more because when everyone moves off without saying anything, well, that's how mechs get left behind!
  • Simplify your loadout to match your skills. I'm an old man and my reflexes are horrible. I don't need to take a mech out that requires me to use five different weapons systems because I usually end up only using one or two of them. So I saved up enough money to buy my own mech and I put one weapon system in it and that's giving me a chance to get used to moving, watching, firing and ducking.
  • Following the wrong people when starting out a map. Yep, that was me. I've finally figured out that my medium mech cannot follow those little mechs. They end up outdistancing me and I end up alone. What I do now is look at the map for all of the slow movers and head toward them.
So, let me repeat my apology. Sorry!! But don't worry, I'll get better. Not as good as you, but I'll get better!

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostClawgore, on 18 December 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Oh yea, I'm terrible and I offer heartfelt apologies to everyone. I've played for 4 days and I'm still working on all of the things I can do wrong. The only good news I have for you is that I am beginning to understand where I am going wrong.
  • I finally figured out that I can hurt my team mates when I am shooting at a bad guy and they walk in front of me. After watching videos I realized that I can stop doing that by yanking my fire into the ground.
  • Thanks to all of the forum posts I've read I now understand that I should not be in front. Oh Lord, thank you for revealing that piece of wisdom. Yea, I'm the guy that used to die in less than 1 minute 20 seconds. Now I can last over 2 minutes, and sometimes until the end of the battle.
  • "That tactic is not going to get you very far. You need to stick with your lance." My dead team mates words still ring in my head because I guess he was in spectator mode and saw me all by myself. You know that little map at the bottom of your screen that shows your lance mates? Well, I cannot see that thing when I'm looking for bad guys. Not all of the time. I'm learning to watch it more because when everyone moves off without saying anything, well, that's how mechs get left behind!
  • Simplify your loadout to match your skills. I'm an old man and my reflexes are horrible. I don't need to take a mech out that requires me to use five different weapons systems because I usually end up only using one or two of them. So I saved up enough money to buy my own mech and I put one weapon system in it and that's giving me a chance to get used to moving, watching, firing and ducking.
  • Following the wrong people when starting out a map. Yep, that was me. I've finally figured out that my medium mech cannot follow those little mechs. They end up outdistancing me and I end up alone. What I do now is look at the map for all of the slow movers and head toward them.
So, let me repeat my apology. Sorry!! But don't worry, I'll get better. Not as good as you, but I'll get better!

Hey, Old Man(Don't like saying that, if you can play a game like this, you're still young!!!! ;) ), It's okay that you aren't as good as some of us here. At least you don't go off in a rant when you get killed XD. Anyhow, you sound like a nice person, so, I salute you and your climb to excellency!!! ~ Scout Derek

#3 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

Heh great stuff.

Friendly fire is a pain. It's also common if you're zoomed out, so watch that too.

The ability to absorb info from other places (chat, minimap, etc.) is rough - but that awareness will come with time.

YES - don't be too aggressive unless you KNOW you can be. For 90% of us, patience and opportunitstic play is better. There's nearly always someone on the other side (ahem, like you) who's not really aware and willing to get shot early and give a team a manpower advantage.

Start simple with your weapon systems ... totally don't start with the hard ones right away. Once you feel comfortable with one set, add another on.

Also, check out the recruiting threads - plenty of groups out there can help you with advice, tactics, etc.

#4 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

No worries man, this game's got a steep learning curve. It sounds like you're making good progress, though, so keep it up. And if you have any questions, or need any advice, that's what these New Player Help forums are for - we're a resource. Use us :)

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 December 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

No worries man, this game's got a steep learning curve. It sounds like you're making good progress, though, so keep it up. And if you have any questions, or need any advice, that's what these New Player Help forums are for - we're a resource. Use us :)

What he said. :)

#6 M X Striker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts
  • LocationAwesome, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hang in there my friend and stick with it! You can manage more than one weapon system, even with a simple 2 button + scroll wheel mouse. Some of those even have a "pushable" scroll wheel that can act as a third button. I recommend at least a 3 button + scroll wheel button gaming mouse. I use the Logitech G500. Solid, reliable, wired gaming mouse. GL and HF, as you grow in skill and ability. Also, if you are looking for a solid unit to join, please click on my signature to check out the Templar Mercenary Company home page. We're mature gamers, with a solid training program, well mannered, and organized.

Enjoy!

#7 Dleroq

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hehehe, I've been playing for a year and half now and I still make a lot of the mistakes you were able to identify yourself making after only 4 days. Impatience and a failed notice check to see your teammates moving are my two biggest banes. That and playing the meatshield for both teams. 8P

derpa uh derp uh durrrrr! charge! 8P 8)

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

First: Welcome to MWO!

Second: if you're willing to learn, you'll get there. It's the guys who are sure they're smarter than the vets who never improve.

Third: It's a bit of an open secret that most of the best builds are simple. Don't think that's a beginner thing.

Fourth: Welcome to MWO.

#9 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

I too am old, and I too love this game.

All good, sound advice.

Thanks for sharing :D

#10 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

Im nearly 44 and have been playing for two weeks so I know where you're coming from.

Stick with it though - If im anything to go by then you'll still be cack after two weeks like me but learn as you play and on the words of D'Ream "Things can only get better"

#11 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

"old man" in this game is someone in their 90's ;)
Lots of original MW/II/III/IV/LL veterans playing!

Even us vets are learning all the time.
Be it a new weight class, new style of play (scout vs brawler), or optimising an old mech with the recently introduced "quirk" systems this game will keep you on your toes!

I'm a lonewolf dropping on my own in public matches (P.ick U.p G.ame-r) supporting the team however I can which is frankly the hard way but a great learning experience! (Especially grinding EVERY IS mech!).
As others have offered, there are some great teams out there who play casually that'll have you trained up as a force to be reckoned with in no time.

Above all, may all your battles be FUN.
Welcome to the war :)

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

to echo what others have said, there is no need to apologize for poor performance, everyone has been there (I have been playing for more than 2 years and still occasionally get 0 damage games).

It will take you a while to figure things out, there are a huge variety of Mechs, with a variety of handling characteristics and maximum speeds. Some can be setup with just multiples of a single weapon system, others need a variety of weapons or can be setup with complementary weapons (e.g. PPCs + autocanons).

I agree that a better mouse may help, and also that joining a team will help, my unit has training for all members aimed at helping new players as well as more advanced training if wanted. but just finding a public teamspeek channel would help, you will be amazed how much of a difference just knowing a few teammates are on the same page as regards to the fight will make.

Welcome to MechWarrior Online, and if you have questions please ask,
I recommend you keep using this thread, if you ask a question you will often get an answer within the hour. New Player Help has some really helpful people hanging around who really want to help you get better at this game.
please remember the only silly question is the one you struggle with for weeks before asking

#13 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

This should be a mandatory read for all new players. Welcome, Good Hunting.

#14 Destro1000

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpace... The Final Frontier

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

Great Post Clawgore we were all brand new at the game at some point. Hang in there the time will come where you will find those mech/loadout combinations that will work really well for you and increase your enjoyment of the game. I too still lead with my hunchback far too often... just hard to resist being in the thick of things. Good Hunting and see you on the battlefield!

#15 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on some of the most common mistakes. One other thing to remember, always, always, ALWAYS lock your current target. (Default is the 'R' key). This is especially true if the enemy you're facing has a hollow red triangle over their head. This indicates no one else on your team has them locked, and may even mean that no one else on your team is even aware of them. Once you lock them there is an increased chance that 1) friendly lrms will start hitting them and/or 2) friendly mechs will join in and help you take the target out. Also, by locking the target you will be able to tell where to aim to take out vital components. No matter what, it's a win-win when your lock your target.

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

I wouldn't be afraid to say the average age is near 35 or 40 for this game, so you're in the right place. I'm 46, so no spring chicken here either.

Sounds like you're figuring things out pretty well.

Medium mechs are great 1st mechs. They have enough speed to get you out of trouble, and enough firepower to do some real damage.

Welcome aboard!

#17 Flu-Epidemic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Agreed with every post here, like playing with ppl u just dropped? Add em up, get on the TS channel, voip and you'll have double the fun! Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

#18 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

• Simplify your loadout to match your skills. I'm an old man and my reflexes are horrible. I don't need to take a mech out that requires me to use five different weapons systems because I usually end up only using one or two of them. So I saved up enough money to buy my own mech and I put one weapon system in it and that's giving me a chance to get used to moving, watching, firing and ducking

Might I recommend Hunchbacks? They were my first mechs in this game and I love them (Although I am a Ghost Bear at heart)

My hunchies usually only have 2-3 weapon groups.

#19 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Great post. Welcome to MWO!

One tip I will give you...learn from your mistakes (friendly fire on teammates...been there, done that.) One time a teammate killed me for accidentally hitting him. Shake it off because you will make more mistakes. Do NOT let people cause you to give up, or become a jaded feminine hygiene product that one might use on a summer's eve.

I hope the best for you.

#20 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

Simplify your loadout to match your skills. I'm an old man and my reflexes are horrible...

"Old man" is relative, but I can relate. I've been at this a little while, and I'm better than when I started out, but I can tell the difference between my skills, and all these young'ns that have played a mouse-aiming shooter game before.

Until a year ago, my idea of a video game was what I learned in the '80s, before everybody had a mouse.
My first exposure to a mouse was in Star Trek IV. "Computer... Hellooo, computer."

I played Doom, and nobody used a mouse. I played MechWarrior 2, and nobody used a mouse.
Then I quit PC games for about 15 years.

In 2013 I realized there was a MechWarrior game where you aim guns with a mouse.
So, not the quickest learning curve ever.
But, I still made friends, got better, and have a good time.

Feel free to look for Koniving. He's good at the game and loves to help new people.
And, he says I count as two players.

...One on each side. :lol:

Mechs I wish I had tried sooner: Cataphract, Stalker, and Blackjack.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 19 December 2014 - 12:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users