Re-Think Of Who Is Awarded The Kill

12 replies to this topic

#1 FlakScourge

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'm not sure whether this question has been asked and answered before, so apologies if it has:

Is there any scope for assigning the kill for a mech to the player who dealt the majority of the damage to it in those cases where one player has dealt significantly more damage to that mech than any other?

The reason I ask this is, since the revised rewarding of killing blows and solo kills and so on has come in, there seems to me to be quite a bit more kill-steal rage than there ever was before, mainly (and legitimately I feel) from those who have done 90% of the work to take down a mech only to see someone else swoop in at the last second and steal the kill.

Personally, if I do kill-steal from someone else, I would rather they get awarded that kill than feel grief toward me for an action which had no malicious intent but was just an 'oh, there's an enemy mech in front of me, i will shoot it' moment.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

I strongly support this proposition, but I have specific tweaks:

Suggestion 1: If you did 75% or more of the damage to a mech (number can be tuned), you get credit for the kill if it dies. After a 15-second cooldown, your credit wears off and whoever deals the blow gets the kill. But if the mech dies within that 15-second window, you get credit for the kill no matter who snipes it.

Suggestion 2: Instead, if you did 75% or more (number can be tuned) to the specific component that led to the enemies death (i.e., if you did 75% collectively to the legs, or 75% to the specific side-torso of an XL mech that got destroyed) you get credit for that kill.

#3 RazarG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGrandside, Sydney

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Suck it up. Screw your personal pride, this is a team game. Enemies need to die asap, i will never ever want my team to hang back saying "you got this". Instead of raging at them for kill stealing, i'd blast them for being ******* if they did not assist me in taking down targets..

ANYONE who rages over kill stealing is a moron who only cares about how others perceive his score.

id rather 1000+ damage and have everyone steal my kills, than not have assistance from my team cause im worried about kill stealing.

Edited by RazarG, 18 December 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

View PostRazarG, on 18 December 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

ANYONE who rages over kill stealing is a moron who only cares about how others perceive his score.

Your would be right in this. But afaik - Killing get better rewards and prestige- and we will have this discussion again and again and again -until the killing, damage and assists are removed as a basis for C-Bill and XP reward after the game.

I know what I'm talking about - i still have the bad habbit from Closed Beta were there was something like a "gentlemans" agreement.
I didn't kill an enemy back then when he was without weapons (not when he did run dry with no backup weapons) - because i like to run big guns, i have seldom a "low yield" weapon to deliver the coup the grace on a wounded enemy - with open torso and deep red C - i leave it for others to make the kill.

So based on this bad habbit - i usually end a game with zero kills. Even in CW - with 4 mechs dropping i hardly do kill anything. I blew them open, i cripple them - but seldom deliver the killing blow. (a lot of guys eject - making it even more complicated to kill something)

#5 QuimMorius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:21 AM

RazarG ^^^^

This is all about team effort, go support your team taking down those mechs, Winning the match is what counts here.

#6 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

I fully agree with RazarG (though possibly I'm a little less radgey about it :P ).

It is a team game. Assist your team mates wherever possible.

#7 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

There is already a 'most damaged' award.

To be fair the only time i ever raged over kill stealing was a 6mg awesome who kept backing off and letting me a cicada take all the hits then rushed in when i had stripped their armour. Heavys should nor be piloted like that an it cost me all my armour because of the cowardness

#8 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:53 AM

An alternate take.

Suppose you removed kill as a stat altogether, and just went with most damage?

#9 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Slight tweak, kill should go to who did the most damage to the body part that was destroyed that caused the kill. No need to add more rewards to LRMs or those that cant aim

#10 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

Mwo is a team game. KDR is for halo/cod. As it is if you do most damage you get like a 4k(???) bonus for that anyways. To need the kill just smacks of pride. Yes there are min maxers out there who sit back the whole match and wait for their chance at clean up, and yes these people are annoying.

Ps: If I am in a light and I notice a cherry red mech retreat behind cover, yes I will chase him and kill him because not to do so allows that mech to get into a better firing position and still hurt your team.

Edited by Basskicker, 21 December 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#11 FlakScourge

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

View PostEonai, on 21 December 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

An alternate take.

Suppose you removed kill as a stat altogether, and just went with most damage?

I like it! Or maybe have some sort of MVP award? Some sort of weighted composite of damage dealt, flanking, most damage dealt to mechs, scouting activities (scouting, narcing, tagging etc), lance in formation, damage dealt to rear armour, defensive kills, saviour kills, solo kills, contesting / capturing bases, and whatever other team-valuable activites a mech can carry out that people can think of...

I would love to see something like that take off, and replace # kills and KDR as a metric of how good a pilot is

#12 Fubbit

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

I think it's fine as is. Sometimes you get the kill shot, sometimes you don't.
Over enough engagements these things average out.

Taking the stats too seriously and/or out of context is maybe the problem.

I do like the addition of "kill most damage" or whatever they call it now though.

#13 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

They need to remove K/D stat entirely.

Killing blow still earns more c-bills, but the stat is meaningless. You earn moneys for helping too, all this is fine.

Do not allow players to see their K/D.

W/L ratio <-- this stat matters. That's the only kill related stat you should be worried about. If you even think "Kill steal" in this game, you need to really evaluate how you're playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users