Xp X64 And Mwox64.exe

17 replies to this topic

#1 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

Is XP x64 not supported? Have the C++ and DX 9c, game launches, get "loading mechlab" for 5-8 seconds before the program closes, no errors.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

Good god, why run XP x64? Yikes. It wasn't even good and stable during it's actively supported life.

#3 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

Yep I'm afraid you need to switch to something newer like Vista or Windows 7/8. The XP X64 was ok for an OS at the time, (I did have installed befor my switch to Vista and then to Windows 7), but I think you bet on the losing horse, or even a dead horse because the Support ended in April 8 of this year. This even includes the X64 version of XP.

#4 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

I'm fully aware, this tower was built in 2006, dual socket 940 board for the last 2 years of college for rendering and simulation work (back when quad core's weren't supported, but multi dual cores were great, look up the Apexx 8 by Boxx technologies). Also XP x64 was and still is completely stable if you had any idea what you were doing, as far as upgrading I don't want to try Vista and no real 7 support for the board. Just wondered if it was more of a case they didn't add support much like iTunes x64 won't "let" you install it though it will function properly (given how few people likely use the OS)

Edited by Fooby, 19 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 December 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Good god, why run XP x64? Yikes. It wasn't even good and stable during it's actively supported life.

I never had a problem with it. It ran perfectly stable in the time I used it, before I switched to Win 7 64 bit. This must have been from early 2006 till the end of 2009. Oh my... Am I running with 7 for five years now? Not much more and I will have surpassed the time I used Win98 Second Edition.

But XP64 is dated, no longer supported and should be replaced by a more modern and secure OS. If your hardware doesn't support a more modern OS, maybe it is time to replace it as well?

#6 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Oh It's been time, had to push it back a year (financial reasons) and was hoping to do it with gen 1 Skylake, but that's a bit further off than I was hoping.

#7 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

For security reasons, they should block you from playing on XP.

it's out of date for that and a hazard.

#8 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Fooby... time for an OS upgrade buddy... maybe even buying a new PC... hell, build a new PC for cheaper than buying one outright... that way you can upgrade as newer tech comes out. What's your FPS like playing MWO anyways?

#9 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Yes, fully aware as I said I had planned to this year but unexpected $2.5k expendature pushed it to sometime in 2015 most likely. Never bought a computer since 2004 (laptop) and don't plan to agian, only build as I did with this tower in 2006. FPS lowest around 15, max 31 in matches, 45-60 in training grounds given the ancient hardware (2x Opteron 285, 8gb PC3200, GTX 260 55nm) I can't complain. Was only asking if there was something specifically left out for "acceptable" OS for this to be listed which would cause the program to crash, or shutdown without error as some other programs/installers have (and could be modified).

Rebel I can't tell if you are attempting to troll or are just horribly ignorant.

Edited by Fooby, 19 December 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#10 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Well... XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and given they are not doing security patches anymore for it... it's a very vulnerable system to use online despite any AV software you might have installed.

I've got a buddy in my unit who's been using an ancient laptop since Closed Beta... financial troubles and all he couldn't afford to build a new PC up until recently and was stuck playing MWO in 5-10 FPS... 20 on a good day lol. It's Xmas season... start coercing your friends and family to buy you components to build a PC lol :D

#11 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I stubbornly held on to XP 64 for years, skipping Vista and didn't upgrade until Win 7 Ultimate, about a year after its release.

XP64 IS a stable OS if you know what you are doing, the problem with it is that nothing is really written specifically for it. It is technically a server based OS, as such, requires some fiddling to make certain things work.

In general it is good, but only for the technically proficient, just move on man, install Win 7 on your box and move on, it is very worth it!

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

On a machine that old, you will see no improvements running 64 bit anyways

Don't bother upgrading that machine, OS or otherwise. Just save your $$ for a new one when the time comes

Now that XP is officially dead there is no requirement for any company's software to support it either

and, IMHO, XP should have been cut off long before 2015

Edited by cSand, 19 December 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#13 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

Not true, on a machine that old you will see MORE of an improvement with 64. It is certainly CPU limited and needs all the help it can get.

#14 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

What Claviger said is quite true which was the reason I figured I'd post on the support board to see if I could get a "Dev" response. Either a "It should run fine, and no idea what could be an issue" or "no it cannot run on XP x64 specifically because some System function or CPU (I don't know SSE 4?) .... something is required".

As I've stated many times...
  • Yes I need a new rig, HW is outdated (but still kicking) and plan to build a new one sometime next year (this years build nixed due to $ vanishing).
  • Cannot upgrade OS as no official board support for 7, only for Vista (and I won't use Vista) I have heard some success using Vista drivers on 7 but no spare HD to test and though it's a full size tower it's sorta full with the three 1.5TB's atm) so going to 7 anytime real soon is unlikely (I do have a legal copy/licence for 7 Professional and installer for x64 version).
  • I'm not expecting a massive performance boost but increasing my min FPS by 5 would actually make a difference and be quite nice until I build a new rig.
It is a server/workstation board (Tyan K8WE S2895) and used it as a workstation for Maya/3DS/XSI/Houdini/Realflow and even Lightwave back in the old days a bit, almost all of which supported only dual cores but multi CPU's and almost had x64 versions of their programs (I know realflow 3 didn't sadly).

I only was checking to see if it was an oversight since Ive never had an issue with any specific 64 bit program or "game" that offers DX9 support (and as I've stated some programs or installers will function FINE under XP x64 but since that OS was never added to the "acceptable OS" list the program will not run or will crash).

As an aside, I don't know why ANY game at this point is not developed and designed for DX11, 64bit only and multi-core/multi-threading (SC2 I'm staring you dead in the face you horribly CPU bound thing).

Edited by Fooby, 19 December 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#15 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 December 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Well, it was - it was the first time the consumer Windows used a decent kernel (that of NT), so it indeed was more stable, secure etc.

...but that was some time ago.

#16 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Not a bump as much for a dev reply as a bit of confusion. I ran the repair tool just in case there something else could be off but it found no errors or issues. Looking at the omicron.log I noticed where the error occurred (I think) during the mechlab loading (around 50% bar loaded)
<15:26:13> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
<15:26:13> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
<15:26:13> WER: Running CryEngine Exception Handler
<15:26:13> WER: Running CryEngine Exception Handler
<15:26:13> WER: Creating Crash Dump
<15:26:13> WER: Attempting to load DBGHELP.DLL

So... do I have file corruption that the repair tool is failing to find? Still trying to wrap my head around why a DX9c based x64 program could have a specific issues with XP x64, and this is my only lead currently.

#17 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Maybe you are better of, contacting support directly?

While they do skim through the patch feedback forums from time to time, with a support ticket it will in most cases reach them sooner. Not to mention that on the weekend they are usually not in the office anyway.

I wish you good luck in getting this sorted, Fooby. When the time comes, when you will build your new system, feel free to drop by in the hardware sub-forum, if you need some help or advice. :)

#18 Fooby

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

I plan to get a few sources of info for hardware choices since given my uses I'm still leaning server/workstation hardware. Sadly I trashed the textures.pak and ran the repair agian to DL a clean with the same issue so could be odd OS extention compatibility or just missing features or something else entirely. Figured that kind of error might have been a "common" x is corrupted bug so asking here was worth the time. Going to try emailing support, again not expecting much but it's just bugging me more that I can't figure out WHY it doesn't work, rather than upset that it doesn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users