68 replies to this topic

#41 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello and welcome to MWO!

having played both (more MechWarrior Online then Hawken) you will probably want to start from mediums to get some transferable skills and still get used to the slower pace of MWO. (though brawls get pretty furious!) the largest difference you will find is more tempo then speed, battles have loose "phases" things flow into, and you need to pay attention to them happening as they will give a more intuitive reaction to an enemy push or base captures.

first things first, get used to first person view (F4 to switch) so you can start to watch your mini-map and learn your maps quicker, also you can react when players call out map grids for help or focus.

most of the other posts here all have at least some good information to learn and it may seem overwhelming but eventually your piloting will really see leaps and bounds as you start to figure out these particular pieces to the whole task of piloting your Battlemechs.

Smurfy's mechlab

this is a tool that every mechwarrior should know and use regularly, this site has invaluable details and information about most specific's on a particular items or components, including modules and weapons! there are even VERY detailed maps are available.

bookmark this site!
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Edited by zudukai, 21 December 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#42 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Fortunatly, ever sense PGI dumped the shackles that were IGP, their old publisher, PGI has been for the most part on the ball on communicating, fixes, content, etc. Hopefully PGI can keep up the good work they have been doing recently.

HBK's (Hunchback for short) are very good mechs for beginners and can be used for competitive play as well.
They teach you a lot about torso twisting and how to play defensively which is very important regardless of what you are running around in.
I have been playing ever sense Closed Beta and I still mostly run my HBK-4G and 4H. That isant to say the other variants arnt good, in fact, they all are very good, especially if you load them up to take advantage of their quirks (You can see the quicks of a mech when you hover your mouse over mechs in the mech lab.) its just that these two I like the most. But for now you just need to focus on getting the hang of piloting, shooting, heat management, and defensive torso twisting. Once you can do that then you can think about mech load outs and Quirks...

I'd also advise to continue using HBK's, which ever variant you pick to buy, as they are VERY cheap and inexpensive to buy and configure.

I would also suggest to stay away from Clan mechs for a while as they are very expensive (Hell, even I don't have one, waiting for the Mad Dog to be out for C-Bills) and also to stay away from the Storm Crow and Timberwolfs in particular.
You will have people touting that they are the best mechs in game, and they are, but what they don't tell you is that some of the reason why they are so good is because they have broken hit boxes currently which makes them more durable then they should be, (they are not invincible but they are stupidly tough) which will teach you very bad habits. On top of that, because they are top tier mechs, they are always primary targets, and if you are newbie, the last thing you want is a bullseye attached to you forehead.

Edited by Coralld, 21 December 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#43 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hawken and MWO are indeed very different. I do suggest to stay away from CW/faction tab (even I am struggling in it!)

I will say the closest type of jumping in and out mech is the spider/firestarter/jenner. Those three are quite similar to the jumping ability and whatnot of Hawken (and yes indeed it sadly is pretty close to death). Give a try to every single trial (multiple times too) and see which is your best bet. BTW pick up the free 2 hrs of premium (go back to the front, click on download, cancel download, scroll down a bit and it hopefully should be there.)

Although @mailin does have a point, firstly a Hunchie (in fact pretty much all except 4H and GI) are well to do and can make or break games. Stormcrows are indeed strong, but need hideous amounts of cash to suffice with them. You can still use the trial Stormcrow and it is the best Clan trial, with Summoner maybe second in my books (though many might argue). Therefore it's your choice but Stormcrows will be insanely different from Hawken's experience (Hunchies will be a bit similar, like HBK-4J to the Rocketeer, HBK-4G to the Brawler, HBK-4SP to the Assault/CR-T/Brawler, etc), while Spiders, Firestarters, Ravens, and Jenners are all nicely workable and similar to Hawken due to their movement speed and capabilities (basically all A-class mechs in Hawken). Also these all listed can be used along with trials, which in fact most of the time I have to use one or two trials as fillers in CW due to 240 tons.

Unlike his last part, JJs should be very familiar, yet not quite mobile as Hawken. ECM is a whole different piece of equipment that unlike in Hawken is not a one button push to complete stealth. It shrouds teammates in a stealth on radar, though it can be countered by the following equipments:

Tag, Narc (esp narc) can counter for a long while, so someone needs to tell you of a narc/tag (though incoming missiles are enough to warn you.)
PPC is very niche against ECM but can stop for short amounts of time.
BAP and ECM are key opponents to ECM. Remember J is stock for giving ECM and you can switch it on and off. However, someone might push J first to counter your ECM with their's. Also, BAP is very potent nowadays against ECM and 100% useful for non-ecm mechs.

Therefore overall JJs should be 100% useful and utilized in any mech with capabilities. ECM also should be used but you need some training on it (play a few matches with it if you plan to buy any mech with it).

And SMURFY 100% recommended. Perhaps one of the best layout pages for loadouts, and everything on MWO.

BTW: trial guide in my sig so I don't have to link again. Bit lazy. :P

Hope I helped! :)

Edited by luxebo, 21 December 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#44 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Also LRM's is not a coward or skilless weapon.

People who claim so just stand under an enemy UAV and rage that LRM's are OP while they do nothing to avoid it.

LRM's just seem to be a common / dominant weapon because it's the most noticeable. You get a warning saying "incoming missiles" and a visual que for it as well as the fact you can see LRM's go up into the air and strike at there foe. (reguardlesss if it's hitting you, your team mate, or the enemy.) Thus making it a lot more noticeable and the screenshake does mask the other weapon fire so you could be being hit by a few LRM's but a lot of other weapons are firing on you which you didn't notice.

Other weapons are not as noticeable but are often more effective.

Just saying this before you develop a strong hate for LRM's like some members in the community.
Also the weapon does require skill to use but I will not go into that now.

Also go here http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

There is like a challange that was happening from friday to monday. Get a match score of 30+ and you get a free random item.

Rather that be premium currency, lots of normal currency, gxp, cockpit items, or other stuff.

Edited by Nightshade24, 22 December 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#45 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hijinks, day before yesterday I had a great match in CW (Faction tab) and thought I'd share it with you. So last night it got uploaded.

This is a long video, I won't be offended if you skip some of it.

Good Mechwarrior music, remixes of old MW2 soundtracks (one of the best OSTs of its time) to provide a fair bit of atmosphere. I only get to use 2 of my 4 mechs, but that's because I only died once.

It is a battle of 48 mechs versus 48 mechs, (24 mechs total moving around at any one instant) with 3 dropships on each team delivering reinforcements as needed. One side has a clear offensive objective. The other has a defensive position.

Unlike the regular matches, this is what MWO was trying to do at its core as the original advertisement went "The Thinking Person's' Shooter", though that had been lost in the regular matches. I hope it returns there one day.

I wanted to share this to show that there is quite a bit more than the Hawken-esque combat with single lives that MWO seems to have in its standard public queues. :)

#46 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 December 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Hijinks, day before yesterday I had a great match in CW (Faction tab) and thought I'd share it with you. So last night it got uploaded.

This is a long video, I won't be offended if you skip some of it.

Good Mechwarrior music, remixes of old MW2 soundtracks (one of the best OSTs of its time) to provide a fair bit of atmosphere. I only get to use 2 of my 4 mechs, but that's because I only died once.

It is a battle of 48 mechs versus 48 mechs, (24 mechs total moving around at any one instant) with 3 dropships on each team delivering reinforcements as needed. One side has a clear offensive objective. The other has a defensive position.

Unlike the regular matches, this is what MWO was trying to do at its core as the original advertisement went "The Thinking Person's' Shooter", though that had been lost in the regular matches. I hope it returns there one day.

I wanted to share this to show that there is quite a bit more than the Hawken-esque combat with single lives that MWO seems to have in its standard public queues. :)

Good Vid. I'll answer you question of why they have a generator for a ballistic cannon, and that is most likely because its a big ars rail gun. :P

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostCoralld, on 22 December 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Good Vid. I'll answer you question of why they have a generator for a ballistic cannon, and that is most likely because its a big ars rail gun. :P

Another vid I saw, they were referring to it as a "Gauss Cannon." Which would also explain it. Like lasers and PPCs, Gauss Rifles can't be used without a fusion engine, so ICE (internal combustion engines) and Fuel Cell engines can't run them.

So there is that, too.

#48 hijinks the turtle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 December 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Awww....How sweet, I'm being thought of. :D Thanks for the vid, it's helpful. Though, Hawken does have it's fair share of tactical fights. Just like MWO, Hawken's pub matches don't have much thought into them. Going up against organized teams is scary due to how fast Hawken mechs are. XD

I'm also trying to think more on the lines of World of Tanks (despite how much I dislike that game), I try to keep as close to cover as possible. In Hawken, I played the Predator (a stealth mech), and it was the closest thing to a tactical mech in Hawken you could get. It had an outrageous skill curve to even use since the weapons and ability required thoughtful placement and timing. I hope that helps me out a little.

I'm also wondering about these certain things in your weapon slots:

What the heck is AMS and NARC? o.O

Edited by hijinks the turtle, 22 December 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

View Posthijinks the turtle, on 22 December 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

AMS is an Anti-Missile System, it'll try to automatically shoot down missiles at a rate of 1.5 missiles per second, per AMS. Most mechs can only carry one.

Point blank AMS by B33F.

NARC is short for NARC Missile Beacon. It's a pod that, when it successfully attaches to the enemy, transmits its position to all allied units. This in turn allows said allies to rain LRM (Long Range Missile) death upon it for 30 seconds or until the NARC is dealt with.

(To deal with a NARC, find a friendly ECM mech and run within 180 meters of him, it will short-circuit the NARC beacon).

I didn't have much success in hitting people with it, however in that match.
This is what it's like on the receiving end on this very short video.

When another Raven (looks like a jet on legs) peeks over and looks at me, I get NARC'd.

#50 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

View Posthijinks the turtle, on 22 December 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Awww....How sweet, I'm being thought of. :D Thanks for the vid, it's helpful. Though, Hawken does have it's fair share of tactical fights. Just like MWO, Hawken's pub matches don't have much thought into them. Going up against organized teams is scary due to how fast Hawken mechs are. XD

I'm also trying to think more on the lines of World of Tanks (despite how much I dislike that game), I try to keep as close to cover as possible. In Hawken, I played the Predator (a stealth mech), and it was the closest thing to a tactical mech in Hawken you could get. It had an outrageous skill curve to even use since the weapons and ability required thoughtful placement and timing. I hope that helps me out a little.

I'm also wondering about these certain things in your weapon slots:

I already told you what NARC is.

View PostNightshade24, on 20 December 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

4) yes... ish.

"ECM" and the module "Radar deprivation"

ECM makes it harder for you to be detected and you can't be detected beyond like 270 meters and you can't get locked on by guided weapons (which atm is only missile weapons). this ECM has like a bubble, and friendlies inside it get the similar abilities while people outside it don't. simular to enemies but in a negative way, enemies inside the bubble can detect you but can't lock on you or send your position info to other friendless.

ECM can only go on certain mechs though.

Radar dep is a module that means when you get out of line of sight with an enemy they lose lock and your location virtually instantly.

BAP can counter ECM, BAP increases the max sensor range of a mech and counters ECM within a similar distance.

Narc is a projectile (missile) that is fired and latches to a mech, it can counter an enemy ECM but doesn't detect mechs withen a friendly ECM bubble. it helps lock on speed as well for missile mechs. it stays on the mech for awhile.

TAG is similar but it's a constant beam, however it doesn't counter the ecm mech, it just detects them and slowly gets you the ability to lock on. it doesn't work when your inside the enemy ecm bubble.

UAV is a consumable module that goes above an area and detects all mechs there and give target info and stuff and gives locks. mechs in ECM and such take longer to lock on but they still can be. see missiles raining while no one see's you? look up, there may be a UAV. You can shoot down a UAV, they are fragile but very small.

in lore there is 'Stealth armour" that is combined with ECM and other stuff that practically makes you undetectable however in game timeline it isn't here yet and we do not know if it'll ever come.

Narc (not all in caps) is a projectile missile based weapon with (I think) the longest travel time but when it hits it does 0 damage and latches onto an enemy mech. This sends target info to all friendly team mates (who are not in enemy ECM bubble) and accelerates the missile lock on time. This sticks to your mech for quite some time.
Powering down can not save you from it sending info. The only way to save yourself once Narc'ed is to get in a friendly ecm bubble however if you have ECM yourself do not feel so safe because if a narc hits an ECM mech it's ECM is disrupted.

AMS stands for Anti Missile System, it is as rapid fire ballistic weapon that you do not control and is automatic but it doesn't shoot at mechs. It shoots at missiles only. (Including Narc but it isn't reliable). It consumes ammo like any other ballistic weapon.

Might as well say what the other words means....

TAG stands for Target Acquisition Gear.

UAV is unmanned aerial vehicle

CASE is
Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment
(this is put in a location and prevents ammo explosions from damaging other areas)

BAP is Beagle Active Probe
(CAP is the same but instead of Beagle it's Clan)

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

Narc. And yeah it's not all caps.

That site is super handy, too. Anything, anything at all Battletech-related (and thus Mechwarrior-related), type it into that search and it'll come up.

Mech name, planet name, weapon name, engines, manufacturers, anything and you'll find it. Or at least a stub if nothing else.

#52 hijinks the turtle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

Had about 3 matches today. :D I did bad for the first one as I got bombarded by missiles, and when I headed to cover, two heavy mechs were waiting for me with weapons ready and I got killed. My team lost that one. :c

For the second, I lasted the whole match and I got about 8 assists! I had fun pouring lasers into enemies with my teammates. Last enemy surviving was a Jenner, and it was funny to see the entire team run ragged just to catch him.

As for my last match, I decided to go as one of the light trial mechs. I captured a base thingy(?) with my team and then decided to see where the enemy team was. Then we ran into an enemy light dude and he got mauled to bits. Little did we know that most of the enemy mechs were holed up in a valley right next to us. When I edged my mech forward to see from the corner, the entire enemy team bombarded me with everything they had. (Obviously I died.) I was so surprised that I jumped out of my seat. XD Then all hell raged loose, but my team won that one battle only by a couple points. That was just barely a win, I saw the enemy team had tons of those scary looking crab mechs. That was a close match.

I hope I'm getting better, but I'm just trying to have fun for now. :P

Edited by hijinks the turtle, 22 December 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#53 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

View Posthijinks the turtle, on 22 December 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

I hope I'm getting better, but I'm just trying to have fun for now. :P

A thought for ya.

There was an email sent out by PGI with a code for a week of free premium time.
(A Merry Christmas present)

You can use that to get some private training in if you can find some people to help with it.
(Something I have done in the past -and would be willing to do again :P)

Edit:
By which I mean, having someone show some of the "fancier" basic maneuvers like torso twisting and damage spreading.
(Which is pretty necessary for some chassis - such as the Centurion, Atlas, or Banshee)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 22 December 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Looks like I'll be checking my email.

#55 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 December 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Looks like I'll be checking my email.

There is an extra surprise in there for ya as well :ph34r:

#56 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for that info Shar! Went to a different folders inbox but I found it!

#57 Sanlucif3r

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

just here to answer the playstyle by class thing.

LIGHTMECHS:
for lights it is all about speed, if you are a speed demon you will like to pilot a spider, or a locust.
the firestarter is one of the most solid mechs in the field right now, very good firepower with 8 small laser, it can cut legs off easy or focus any part of an enemy mech.
other lights focus on different things like the jenner is a light mech fighter, usually it is the best for taking out other light mechs.
around one half of all light mechs can fly, and you will need to, believe me!
finally there is 3 light mechs (spider, raven and kit fox) that can equip ECM and be invisible, these are good for scouting, getting recon on the enemy forces, surprise attacks, flanking unseen, sniping on the move, and stealthy kills.
(edit: does the commando also pack ecm? i forgot)
usually you don't want to backpedal with light mechs, just keep driving full speed and do mobster driveby shootings on targets of opportunity.

MEDIUMMECHS:
the mediums have a different playstyle, some are almost as fast as a light, such as the cicada, which is also ecm capable so it can avoid radar detection.
other mediums are further up in the tonnage division and they can take almost as much punishment as a heavy mech as is the case with centurion and hunchback. both are great brawlers too.
mostly gameplay with mediums is about getting in and out, more like guerilla warfare, popping in and out of cover and less hit and run at full speed like a prohibition-era mafia driveby, which you kinda do with light mechs. you have to be very careful of where you get yourself into. because you can get hurt badly early on in the match

HEAVYMECHS:
the heavy mechs are what i would recommend for a noob, they are the most balanced class in the game.
using a heavy mech is almost like playing call of duty, you don't need to have many special considerations besides teamwork, mostly, your armor and firepower are good and your speed is acceptable-
you can expose yourself to enemies without getting blown up immediately, some are fast, some not so much but all have a tough chin and can bring a whole lot of weapons to the battle, it is around this class that you can really start boating weapons such as packing double gauss and get a very strong but gimmicky sniper, or put hundreds of missiles into a catapult for example.
there is one ecm capable heavy as far as i know, the clan hellbringer which is a really powerful mech.

ASSAULTMECHS:
piloting the assault mech is in some ways similar to the medium mech, you have to be very aware of where you are in the map and where the allies and enemies are, because even though you can take a mean punch with your ludicrous armor, and your guns can blow up a planet, you will be very slow, and it pays to think of escape routes and to stay right smack in the middle of your team so you are supported. if you want to play a weaponized space station assault mechs are for you, there is one ecm capable assault, the ultra massive atlas ddc.
when piloting an assault mech, you should have nerves of steel not to panic when under heavy fire and be able to carefully aim and trade blows with other mechs under stress, and knowing when to charge in and trade all your armor so you can get the kill(s)

even within weight classes there is mechs that play totally different
for example, even though the awesome and gargoyle are 80 ton assault mechs, they can probably kill light mechs just fine with their speed and degree of torso rotation.
but the stalker for example is also an assault but it will have trouble turning around to get rid of a light mech on it's tail.

and even mechs of the same exact weight/tonnage will often play completely different.
for example the awesome vs the victor are both 80 tons but the victor is a slow flying tank with very poor torso rotation but good arm weapons.
the awesome is a slow walking but ironically highly maneuverable mech that can twist like the best and can bring a lot of firepower, but no flying and can mount smaller engines. and even bigger difference would be gargoyle vs victor, the gargoyle is super fast and can mount few weapons, but the victor trades that speed for the ability of flight and can pack a few more weapons even though it walks like it's submerged up to it's knees.

edit: there is one more thing i forgot to mention, if you are piloting a jenner or victor you need to learn how to turn around 180 with jumpjets in the air so you can land and take off in a different direction with the jenner, or simply turn around 180 degrees with the victor in less than 365 days.

hope that helps out a little bit, i had to help a friend get into the game lately so i had time to think about how to explain the weight classes to him at first

Edited by Sanlucif3r, 22 December 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#58 Sanlucif3r

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

by the way, the game is very badly setup at the beginning when you do a fresh install,
go to the settings panel and:

disable arm lock,
disable throttle decay,
disable 'start in third person'.

then carefully set up your mouse sensitivity in the game and in windows control panel so you can draw a smiley face with your arm lasers,

finally, go to the MWO folder and make a config file changing your field of view to a larger number, this will give you more awareness of the field.

it's like pgi is setting up noobs to fail, but oh well! what can u do :rolleyes:

#59 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 19 December 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Learning how to survive and protect your weapons systems is a very important skill, OP, and one you should focus on above all else.

I second this. Increasing your survivability in combat is one of the most valuable skills you'll learn in this game, and I can attest to the fact that the Hunchback is one of the best 'Mechs in which to learn that skill. Learn this first, and you'll end up doing things like getting both the "Seriously!?", and "Seriously, I'm Dead This Time" achievements in the same match, running a 'Mech with an XL engine.

#60 Sanlucif3r

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostThroet, on 22 December 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

I second this. Increasing your survivability in combat is one of the most valuable skills you'll learn in this game, and I can attest to the fact that the Hunchback is one of the best 'Mechs in which to learn that skill. Learn this first, and you'll end up doing things like getting both the "Seriously!?", and "Seriously, I'm Dead This Time" achievements in the same match, running a 'Mech with an XL engine.

agreed, even just practicing with a XL engine builds up skills that will come in handy down the line

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users