Question About Heat Sinks

6 replies to this topic

#1 Talien

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

I've heard that putting heat sinks in the legs is the best way to do it because they perform better when you're standing in water or snow, I'm just wondering if this is true or not.

Also, what are the advantages to putting a heat sink inside an engine as opposed to anywhere else? Is there really a "best" spot to put them or does it matter? I've also been told if you can only fit one heat sink switch to double and cram it in the engine even if it's an inefficient IS double heat sink, and this at least makes sense even to someone like me who knows next to nothing about the MW/Battletech universe.

#2 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

The leg bonus is pretty much a non-factor in MWO. The bonus is proportional to the degree the legs are submerged (50% submerged gives a 50% bonus). However, 99% of the time you want to upgrade to double heat sinks. On IS mechs this means no heat sinks in the legs. Clan mechs tend to run hot so any heat sinks in the legs are a small part of your total heat capacity. Also, there isn't a lot of deep water on maps.

You always should use the extra heat sink slots in the engine first. It leaves more space in the mech and protects those heat sinks until the engine is destroyed, which destroys the mech anyway. Also, IS and Clan heat sinks are equally efficient, it's just that the Clan versions take fewer critical slots.

I've written a guide with more information if you would like to dig in to the heat mechanics.

#3 Talien

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

So switching to double also switches the internal heat sinks to double and not just extras.....I didn't know that, but that definitely makes it an easy choice in what to do. Great guide.

#4 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Thank you. The 'free' heatsinks that come with the engine are actually better than standard double heat sinks. The engine's intrinsic double heat sinks cool at 2.0 heat per second, the ones you add in critical slots (or the bonus slots in the engine) cool by 1.4.

#5 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

Clan double heatsinks are supposed to be more efficient... Are they actually though?

I've noticed that IS dbl heatsinks affect my mech's heat rating more than clan versions do when making a new build. I've gotten to wondering if this is another part of clan tech that has taken a hit in the name of game balance. I know that generally though, if it is showing in the heat rating, it is the case. Like when they accidently had the modules redone to not cause heat, but it still showed in the heat rating, and were still causing their original heat mods for the bonuses.

#6 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:15 AM

Double Heatsink should be your stock upgrade as it increases the base level heat efficiency of the mech before you start adding on extra bits. Always worth the money, especially in anything above a light.

As for legs: can help a bit but not enough to be essential. It's basically a question of "what do you think is going to get shot off first"

#7 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostGhoja, on 22 December 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

Clan double heatsinks are supposed to be more efficient... Are they actually though?

Clan heat sinks are more "efficient" in that they're smaller and take up fewer crit slots on your mech. They're not more efficient in actual heat dissipation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users