Grinding ... It Is Time To Update The Xp System Please

70 replies to this topic

#41 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

If you see this game as 'grinding' and not 'dropping in the mech' then you're not playing the right game. XP and CBills come in the more I play, and since I play to (suprise!) play the game it naturally flows in and helps improve the mech I'm enjoying. Unlike all this META bullcrap that has taken a hold of everyone, I don't look toward the end result of a mech and complain how ****** it is now without any skills or equipment changed out. I run it, learn it, enjoy it, play it.

The better you are at playing stock builds, the better a pilot you'll become. Those fast lights you relied on speed and crappy hitreg to keep you in the fight? Mastering their stock variants will give you a whole new take on the battlefield.

#42 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostMawai, on 20 December 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Lol ... I think the topic is drifting. Making a more interesting XP and skills system does not make anything "easy" ... it makes it more interesting ... it means you have to make decisions and choices over what abilities you want with which variant. It actually gives some meaning to having 3 almost identical variants of the same mech since each could be focused on using different weapons or playing different roles.

To me ... when I start earning xp for my 30th, 40th or 50th mech ... and each xp tree is exactly the same ... there is just little or no motivation to keep on playing. Bored with my mastered mechs and bored with getting the same xp skills with the new ones. I'm probably not the only one in that boat. So .. my suggestion to PGI was to revise the XP system and skills to make it harder, have people make choices in what they want each mech to do ... maybe charge MC if you want to respec the XP on a mech.

It has nothing to do with easy :)

Don't like the time investment for free game?

Put hand in wallet, buy your way o past the "grind"

Single dad here, work, kids etc as well

I guess my advantage may be no wife to suck up what's left of my time :lol:

View PostCreovex, on 20 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Though he is FRR... he is right. Don't like leveling out other variants? Convert xp from a mech you like to GXP and bam... quick maxed unantes variant. Or as some suggest... premium time makes things go by a lot faster.

Lone wolf at heart my friend :D

Had to choose one to try out CW

#43 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostcSand, on 20 December 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Don't like the time investment for free game?

Put hand in wallet, buy your way o past the "grind"

Single dad here, work, kids etc as well

I guess my advantage may be no wife to suck up what's left of my time :lol:

Lone wolf at heart my friend :D

Had to choose one to try out CW

I don't know whether folks are intentionally not understanding me, are not reading what is written or whether I am just expressing my point of view poorly.

I would like a better XP and skills system to make playing the game more interesting. Period.

That is all that I am saying and that I have said. Nothing about "buying my way past the grind" ... I didn't complain once about the cbills or xp earned. ALL I was suggesting was that PGI make things more interesting so that the game would be more fun.

Maybe it is just me that would enjoy having choice in how to spend XP. Maybe you would prefer to drop the XP system altogether ... I don't know. My personal opinion is that dropping in match after match ... although each match may or may not be fun in and of itself ... is not sufficient for long term player retention. CW is one approach to adding meaning and interest to the game ... I think XP and skills could be a second feature to help with player retention ... the third leg would be competitive leagues and Solaris.

Finally, from a financial investment point of view ... I have Founders, Phoenix, DW clan pack, a couple of hero mechs and premium time. There is NOTHING more that I can do at this point in time to increase earnings in matches or make things more interesting (other than playing the game ... which I have been doing for more than 2 1/2 years now ... gets a bit stale for me but maybe not you). An updated XP and skills system would certainly make MY game play more interesting ... even if you could apparently care less.

#44 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

On the very first day of beta I wrote a post on this.

BTW after taking a 2 year break precipitated by the broken promises, I came back because I heard CW was finally in. After playing for about a week, I am already sick and tired of the grinding and how much I have to play just so I can a single mech to expert. Never mind the fact that I still don;'t have a single module because I have to put everything into making 3 variants of every mech viable (I've been having great fun running several mechs without the double heat sinks thi builds need to not shut down because the price of things is so far out of sync with the earnings and I have to get so much). Having to outfit all these almost identical variants of the same mech and then grind over and over for everything is not fun. I give it about another week before the grinding drives me to leave for another couple years and I go back to LoL.

When a game is more grindy than LoL's ranked mode, there is something very wrong.

Edited by Void2258, 20 December 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#45 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostMawai, on 20 December 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

I don't know whether folks are intentionally not understanding me, are not reading what is written or whether I am just expressing my point of view poorly.

I would like a better XP and skills system to make playing the game more interesting. Period.

That is all that I am saying and that I have said. Nothing about "buying my way past the grind" ... I didn't complain once about the cbills or xp earned. ALL I was suggesting was that PGI make things more interesting so that the game would be more fun.

Maybe it is just me that would enjoy having choice in how to spend XP. Maybe you would prefer to drop the XP system altogether ... I don't know. My personal opinion is that dropping in match after match ... although each match may or may not be fun in and of itself ... is not sufficient for long term player retention. CW is one approach to adding meaning and interest to the game ... I think XP and skills could be a second feature to help with player retention ... the third leg would be competitive leagues and Solaris.

Finally, from a financial investment point of view ... I have Founders, Phoenix, DW clan pack, a couple of hero mechs and premium time. There is NOTHING more that I can do at this point in time to increase earnings in matches or make things more interesting (other than playing the game ... which I have been doing for more than 2 1/2 years now ... gets a bit stale for me but maybe not you). An updated XP and skills system would certainly make MY game play more interesting ..

fair nuff

we agree about many a thing

#46 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 20 December 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'd complain about the grind but I got 4 Tier Xs and several Tier IXs in WoT. That is a grind.

View PostDarian DelFord, on 20 December 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

I have everything that I want from this game. I am wanting more The OP is staing there is a grind. Now granted I have been in since closed beta, but still I am averaging close to 150k per match with NO Premium Time and NO Hero bonus. I do not see what grind for C-Bills or XP he is referring to. There is no grind in MWO as compared to other F2P titles out there.

I don't understand why people bring up other games and point out how they have worse grind to justify the grind in MWO.

"This pile of crap is smaller than the other pile of crap so it's fine."

Neither of them are fine.

View PostAEgg, on 20 December 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

Nobody cares how long it takes to master a mech. It takes probably 10 times as long to acquire the cbills to BUY said mech in the first place than it does to master the thing.

Considering how long it takes to fully elite 3 mech variants and then get more MXP on top of that, I do actually care about the time it takes to actually master a mech because it's annoying.

The c-bill cost of doing so is definitely a big issue though.

View PostDaZur, on 20 December 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

I am so done with players grousing over the time commitment necessary to grind out the FREE content in a F2P game... <_<

​Its F2P... so you have two equivalencies to decide: What is more important to me... "Time" or "money".

Literally everything in MW:O is a available to you if you have the time. If you don't, you have the option to open you wallet and buy the damn thing... problem solved.

Feigning indignation because you can neither justify the time nor the monetary investment should be a moment of pause for you to consider if MW:O is "for you"... In F2P you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Let's just increase the cost of everything bought with in-game currency by 10,000% then, it would be fine because it's still free that way.

View PostMauttyKoray, on 20 December 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

If you see this game as 'grinding' and not 'dropping in the mech' then you're not playing the right game. XP and CBills come in the more I play, and since I play to (suprise!) play the game it naturally flows in and helps improve the mech I'm enjoying. Unlike all this META bullcrap that has taken a hold of everyone, I don't look toward the end result of a mech and complain how ****** it is now without any skills or equipment changed out. I run it, learn it, enjoy it, play it.

The better you are at playing stock builds, the better a pilot you'll become. Those fast lights you relied on speed and crappy hitreg to keep you in the fight? Mastering their stock variants will give you a whole new take on the battlefield.

Intentionally gimping yourself does not make you improve, it only limits your potential.

Click to see end of match screenshots said:

Spoiler

This sort of match would not be possible in a stock mech and I've never piloted stock mechs because they are garbage, so when I see this sort of nonsense in order to justify the stupid amounts of grind it just pisses me off.

View PostMawai, on 20 December 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Finally, from a financial investment point of view ... I have Founders, Phoenix, DW clan pack, a couple of hero mechs and premium time. There is NOTHING more that I can do at this point in time to increase earnings in matches or make things more interesting (other than playing the game ... which I have been doing for more than 2 1/2 years now ... gets a bit stale for me but maybe not you). An updated XP and skills system would certainly make MY game play more interesting ... even if you could apparently care less.

I can agree with that mostly, but the thing is that wanting an EXP system that's actually interesting is a much more complex solution, and even if it was somehow made more interesting it still takes too long as it is now.

If the mech tree was just not a factor then it would address both the issues of the grind being too boring and the grind being too long, so when I bring up my dislike with the mech tree that's pretty much where I'm coming from personally. It doesn't help that I don't really trust PGI to overhaul the XP system in any worthwhile way (see: the awful attempt at a new mech lab UI that is in many ways worse) and they also have their hands full with plenty of other things to add & fix, so to me simply removing the mech tree makes the most sense instead of screwing around trying to make it better.

#47 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostPjwned, on 20 December 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yep let's just see how fresh stock mechs perform in pug matches without needing to grind--

Oh, right.

Depending on the Stock Mech(right now that would be Champions) and the reflexes of the Player... They do pretty good.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 21 December 2014 - 04:15 AM.

#48 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 December 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Depending on the Stock Mech(right now that would be Champions) and the reflexes of the Player... They do pretty good.

I could be misunderstanding what you're saying, but the whole point of a champion mech is buying something that doesn't have completely awful equipment to start with (because it's actually customized well) so I don't see how that's defined as stock.

You can either buy a mech from the mech lab and deal with its awful stock build, or you can buy a pre-packaged champion mech that's actually decent and bypass some of that hassle.

Edited by Pjwned, 21 December 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#49 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostPjwned, on 21 December 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

I could be misunderstanding what you're saying, but the whole point of a champion mech is buying something that doesn't have completely awful equipment to start with (because it's actually customized well) so I don't see how that's defined as stock.

You can either buy a mech from the mech lab and deal with its awful stock build, or you can buy a pre-packaged champion mech that's actually decent and bypass some of that hassle.

Right Its early and I didn't get a whole lot of sleep since its pre Christmas and I am an a parent. I read stock and and understood Trial. Get my age and be on your 32nd day straight of work... see how it affects comprehension. :unsure:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 21 December 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#50 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:58 AM

The grind is horrible. But hey, it's really not that bad when you convert the spare XP from your favourite mastered mech to GXP so you can level up new mechs.

Oh, but... C-Bills... you have to grind that, too. But hey, it's not that bad, you can buy mechs with MC or do preorders if that floats your boat.

Oh, but cosmetics... you have to ... PAY for that. No money left after paying away the grindfest.

US 15$ gets you 3-4 colours...
... or two light or medium mechs... but...
... but not enough for a heavy...
... and definitely not enough for most Hero/Champion mechs...

This game has no microtransactions. It's either go big or go home, and that needs to change if PGI wants to keep new players following a Steam release in the coming months.

At least the one-shot camos are pretty cheap, and mechbays are reasonable... but that's about where it ends.

Lower the MC price on standard variants and reduce camo colours by at least half. I haven't spent any money on this game yet because I don't feel like I'm going to get any value for my dollar. If I didn't have the patience to grind out the free mechbays and the C-Bills to fill them, I would have quit the game long ago. Not many people share my extraordinary patience.

Edited by Tarogato, 21 December 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#51 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

Granted the New User Expereince sucks and I will back that argument all day long. However I have no problems with getting C-bills or XP or anything I need. I routinely earn close to 200K+ C Bills Per match and usually 1500-2000 XP per match.

But then again I have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of the game and know how to get what is needed.

Hell 1 Hero mech and a little bit of premium time and you will be swimming in XP and C-Bills.

The skill tree is going to be revamped after CW is stable. That much has been said. However C-Bills and XP are alright for the moment.

#52 kueilong

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 21 December 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Granted the New User Expereince sucks and I will back that argument all day long. However I have no problems with getting C-bills or XP or anything I need. I routinely earn close to 200K+ C Bills Per match and usually 1500-2000 XP per match.

But then again I have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of the game and know how to get what is needed.

Hell 1 Hero mech and a little bit of premium time and you will be swimming in XP and C-Bills.

The skill tree is going to be revamped after CW is stable. That much has been said. However C-Bills and XP are alright for the moment.

So you and anyone like you are saying that those that can't get on your level can go get Rekt. Yeah thanks a whole lot mate.

#53 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 20 December 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'd complain about the grind but I got 4 Tier Xs and several Tier IXs in WoT. That is a grind.

What makes the grind in WoT terrible is the playerbase....you as a player might do well, but lose...and lose and lose and lose and even if you can manage to control ur rage and not wanna punch the players through the screen.....you will eventually blow ur top....that much stupid can only be contained for so long. For me, I could only tolerate it for 4506 games.....I have since sold all my tanks, deleted all my crews and just dont play that game. I did have a T9 M103.....but yeah..WoT....how I hate and despise the game and hte players in it.

#54 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:58 AM

The biggest problem is the fact that u need 3 variants of a mech that u want to master. That's imo all of it.

#55 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostMawai, on 20 December 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Hi All,

Grinding in MWO is something near and dear to everyone's heart ... at least if they have played this game for any length of time.

Grinding is boring and slow but required to obtain the c-bills needed for modules, modifications, and mechs.

Slow grinding encourages folks to spend money on premium time and hero mechs to reduce the grind a bit.

HOWEVER, if the grind is overwhelmingly boring (as it can be in MWO) then what happens? Folks don't spend money ... they quit ... maybe playing the occasional match for old times sake but not spending any money ... thus no revenue to PGI. This is because the grind is not interesting. There is no thinking required, nothing to look forward to except a few more XP and cbills at the end of the match ... aiming to unlock the same old abilities that are available on every single mech.

I am playing at the moment for the stocking stuffers ... I have lots of mastered mechs that I pull out from time to time for the fun of it ... Jenner-D, Catapult-J and Jager 6-S are amoung my favourites. But for the grind of the tournament and to pull in cbills ... I find that earning extra meaningless xp on one of mastered mechs is pretty useless ... at the moment I have pulled out my Thunderbolts and am working on mastering them as something to do while grinding.

BUT ... it is boring ... same old skills ... the only challenge is trying to find a build that works for me.

So ... for player retention and to likely increase revenues ... I think it is time that PGI looks at updating the closed beta place holder skills and xp system with something that is:

1) Interesting ... requires some thought and some optimization
2) Create general sets of skill trees and limit the number of skills that can be selected by a player for each mech variant at each level
3) Allow different skill selections for each mech variant so that the player can specialize the skills to the role they want a variant to use (this actually justifies and motivates the requirement of 3 variants since they can all be skilled differently).

4) Make sure every skill does something ... the 2nd tier "convergence" skill hasn't done ANYTHING since closed beta or shortly after ... it is just an xp sink.

Anyway, folks have been dis-satisfied with the skills system since closed beta ... maybe it is finally time to look at scheduling some resources for an update.

Preach to the choir. Right now progression is tied to earning C-bills since progression is solely based on being able to collect mech and outfit them, especially with modules which cost obscene amounts. This is why I have been strongly pushing from an increase in rewards.

However your right, part of the issue is that XP does nothing past the initial unlocks which only take about 40-50 matches to complete. After that you end up with hundreds of thousands if not millions of unused XP with nothing to spend it on. Sure you can convert it but like I said it only takes 50 matches to reach master on a mech so why would you?

What I would like to see is something like old school Everquest's "Alternate Advancement" system where you have about 20-30 attributes you can buy with experience. For example lets call one "Heat Management Expertise". This one gives you very small increases to cooling efficiency as you skill up the mech. You get 0.1% for 10k experience and eventually tops out at like a 5% increase when you spend 1 million XP on the skill. Other options might included agility enhancements, hill climbing ability, a 5% increase in speed, etc. Basically it give you an incentive to really focus on truly "mastering" a mech and honestly makes it so each and every mech has an almost never ending advancement potential. I guess another, prehaps more familiar example of this would be the tanker skills in WoT. There your tankers slow increase in skill over time so the more you play with that crew, the better the tank they are driving gets, incrementally and slowly, but still always improving and getting slightly better over time.

Also it might give people more reason to covert XP. For example, once you reach the current master status, you can chose to either apply that XP toward the alternate advancement on that particular mech or transfer that, for MC, to another mech of your choice and then use that XP toward its Alternate Advancement.

#56 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:30 AM

Okay, here is the deal...and I have been saying this for a long time....

Mech quirks: Should be attributed to XP unlocks (get rid of all the current basic, elite, master junk and just start people off with those already maxed and make each mech quirked based...)

Example: TDR-9SE

Tier 1: Basics (Armor, Twist, etc. Basic Mechanics) -> (3k xp each)
  • Additional Structure (LT&RT) +10
Tier 2: Skilled (Non-Weapon Specific Cooldowns, Improvements, Reductions) -> (4k xp each)
  • Energy Weapon Range +10%
  • Energy Weapon Heat Generation -10%
  • Energy Weapon Colldown +12.5%
  • Missile Weapon Colldown +12.5%
Tier 3: Elite (Specific Weapon Perks) -> (5k xp each)
  • Large Pulse Heat Generation -10%
  • Large Pulse Range +10%
The concept is that as you get better, you become better at pushing the limits of your equipment. You tweak it... ou figure out initial the basic tweaks then learn how to elite out and get (as in example) an extra 10% out of a Large Pulse while generating 10% less heat....

Want to go Super Crazy? ? ?
Remove the whole "pre-determined" tier system and do a simple "Module Unlock Progression" and make XP cummulative.
  • Unlock Tier 1 @ 5k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 2 @ 10k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 3 @ 15k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 4 @ 20k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 5 @ 25k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 6 @ 30k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 7 @ 35k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 8 @ 40k cummulative xp
  • Unlock Tier 9 @ 45k cummulative xp
Make every quirk a module and allow users a certian number of slots per a chassis that they can unlock, buy and slot.... Say a CPLT-C4 has unlock potential to Tier 9 while a CPLT-K2 has unlock potential to Tier 5. That way better off the shelf mechs get less customization while those deemed inferior can be really customized and tweaked to a play style...

Oh and in this system, reduce module costs to:
  • General Modifications (ie.Additional Structure (LT&RT) +10) - 1 Million
  • General Weapon Modifications (ie. Missile Weapon Cooldown) - 2 Million
  • Specific Weapon Modifications (ie. Large Pulse Range +10%) - 3 Million

Edited by Creovex, 22 December 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#57 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Double Heat sinks, which you have to have only every mech, cost more than some light mechs. Usually by the time I have enough to put Double Heat Sinks on a mech, I have the basic XP tree finished. This is with me using premium time left over from my founder pack.

#58 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

My major gripe with the xp system is that once you've mastered a chassis, moving to the next one resets all of your progress. A mastered mech and a fresh one control VERY differently and as such it's hard to get a feel for how a chassis can perform without putting significant time investment into it.

I'd like to see pilot based skills based around things like target retention, reduced screen shake from incoming fire, and hill climbing. The kind of stuff that a pilot would get better at doing as his/her personal skill increased. Then your mastery bonuses would come into play, giving you increased effectiveness with a given chassis for taking the time to play them more often. The difference being that your mech's combat effectiveness isn't hampered for the first 10 hours you own in.

#59 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

Grinding= Playing MW:O

If playing the game is not fun its time to take a break.

#60 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostCreovex, on 22 December 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

Okay, here is the deal...and I have been saying this for a long time....

Mech quirks: Should be attributed to XP unlocks (get rid of all the current basic, elite, master junk and just start people off with those already maxed and make each mech quirked based...)

Spoiler

This would be a good start.

Something I've thought about was to make the Mech Tree Efficiencies into module unlocks exclusive to the Mech. Add another Module Category or two and then allow players to pick their modules of choice.

It could create instances where a decision would have to be made say between mounting Radar Derp or Speed Tweak, or choosing between Cool Run or a Weapon Range mod for example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users