Cw Thunderbolts For Days!

229 replies to this topic

#1 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm just curious as to how many more games I need to drop in and see 4-5 Thunderbolts all sitting on the boreal vault hill with triple ERPPCs before I go crazy.

Thunderbolt quirks... 50% less heat generated with ERPPC 25% faster firing rate. 12.5% faster speed.

They can fire these things for days on cold maps. And then when they finally die, welp, here comes the 7xMPLAS Thunderwub!.

That's only 130 tons on a drop deck. You still have room for an assault and a light. Or a heavy and a firestarter.

Maybe because I'm I clanner, I don't see all the frustrating builds you IS people deal with, but I'm getting really tired of all your over quirked mechs. Its one thing to 'balance' a mech for a single drop. But in CW you can spam these 'bad' mechs with disgusting quirks for days on end.

Am I the only one that feels this way? if so tell me to man up and get on with my life. If not, tell me how to deal with this stress.

Edited by Cer6erus, 20 December 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#2 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

bro before the quirks the Thunderwunder was a pill of steam ****.
Dont hate bro

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

Maybe once i stop seeing clan teams with at least 50% timbers ALL GAME.

#4 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

They are ALMOST as good as the Timber-Crow combo.

They are just better at their respective niche.

Im sure Clans will get some quirk love.

#5 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think it would be better if they reduced the heat reduction a bit, maybe 30-40%. then make it for PPCs not ERPPCs.

Then it will run decent but will suffer in brawling range.

#6 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

i do notice that its only clanners who want the nerf, soz IS have a mech that works,

It is a fairly large surface area to hit so its not like the thunderbird has all the advantage, plus most if not all are XL engines meaning missing a side torso is a kill.

Edited by G SE7EN7, 20 December 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#7 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 20 December 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

i do notice that its only clanners who want the nerf, soz IS have a mech that works,

It is a fairly large surface area to hit so its not like the thunderbird has all the advantage, plus most if not all are XL engines meaning missing a side torso is a kill.

Lostech

Rather, i say give the Summoner Thud-like quirks. With omnipods that have high E points.

Arent the chassis related?

All in all i bet the quirks will be toned down. :(

#8 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

I've never considered clans "op"

With that said, you're going to see TONS of stuff like this over the next few weeks. You'll see groups of mechs and loadouts for a while, then someone will figure out a counter, than it will move on to something else. That's a natural progression. Some players ahve found a way for them to compete at longer ranges with clan tech, no biggy.

#9 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Kinda hard to compete when the person you are facing has 50% less heat generated...
I love the quirk system, I just think its implemented poorly. Anything that *forces* people to use certain weapon systems on a mech with 25-50% buffs is just an easy and poor way out.

#10 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

That was the whole point of the quirk system, bring some mechs back to life with semi dictated loadouts.

#11 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 20 December 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Maybe once i stop seeing clan teams with at least 50% timbers ALL GAME.

Maybe there'd be less Timbers if most of the clan Mechs weren't mediocre or down right terrible.

Well, maybe. The Timber Wolf will probably be a very popular Mech regardless of anything done to the others, but still.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

Nerf TimberCrow and then we'll talk. Excuse me, I need to go buy Thunderbolts >_>

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thunderbolts used to be Thunderbads before quirks. They were horrible robots that very few people bothered to use, and for good reason. I used to get a sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I saw a Thunderbad on my team, prior to the Quirkening. Quirks were absolutely necessary and justified to make them not terrible.

You can argue over what the specific quirks should have been (i.e. I would have preferred extreme durability and a bit more agility), but it's hard to argue that they did need hefty quirks in some form.

#14 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostCer6erus, on 20 December 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

I'm just curious as to how many more games I need to drop in and see 4-5 Thunderbolts all sitting on the boreal vault hill with triple ERPPCs before I go crazy.

Thunderbolt quirks... 50% less heat generated with ERPPC 25% faster firing rate. 12.5% faster speed.

They can fire these things for days on cold maps. And then when they finally die, welp, here comes the 7xMPLAS Thunderwub!.

That's only 130 tons on a drop deck. You still have room for an assault and a light. Or a heavy and a firestarter.

Maybe because I'm I clanner, I don't see all the frustrating builds you IS people deal with, but I'm getting really tired of all your over quirked mechs. Its one thing to 'balance' a mech for a single drop. But in CW you can spam these 'bad' mechs with disgusting quirks for days on end.

Am I the only one that feels this way? if so tell me to man up and get on with my life. If not, tell me how to deal with this stress.

Right up until you drop on Sulfur, then suddenly it's a burden. Nothing like dropping your 9S on Sulfur and coming face to face with an AC boat that just eats you up while you're waiting for enough heat loss to get a 2nd or 3rd shot. Easy to overwhelm.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Maybe there'd be less Timbers if most of the clan Mechs weren't mediocre or down right terrible.

Well, maybe. The Timber Wolf will probably be a very popular Mech regardless of anything done to the others, but still.

Lights withstanding, the only reason the other clan mechs are mediocre or terrible is because the Timber Wolf and Storm Crow are so amazing.

Clan Lights are bad because theyre slow though.

Edited by Khobai, 20 December 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#16 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostCer6erus, on 20 December 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Put away the non-stop Stormcrows and Timbercrutches and we'll stop running the only IS Heavy that can meet them on close to even terms.........until then...........suck it up butter cup.

#17 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostKhobai, on 20 December 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Lights withstanding, the only reason the other clan mechs are mediocre or terrible is because the Timber Wolf and Storm Crow are so amazing.

Even if the Timber Wolf and Stormcrow were nerfed I still wouldn't think much of the NopeVa, Suckonner, Ice Ferret, or Gargoyle.

The Hellbringer seems pretty good and I want one, just haven't decided if I should buy it A La Carte or get the Man O' War pack. Granted, the main reason the Man O' War pack is even under consideration is because I'd also get the Mad Dog. I'm not terribly interested in having the Mist Lynx, Ice Ferret or Gargoyle.

#18 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostKhobai, on 20 December 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Clan Lights are bad because theyre slow though.

I dunno. Every so often I see a Ice Ferret that's like the Flying Wallendas. Guy comes sailing over the gate at an angle, dropping PPC shots in. I watched one guy vault the gate and end up half way to Omega on Sulfur. They look like Garden Gnomes launched from a catapult. Comedy gold.

Admittedly though the occasional Dire Wolf or Warhawk doesn't seem to be worth taking a light vs a Stormcrow or Timber Wolf. You end up with a Ice Ferret with an ERPPC or an Adder with 2xERLLs on Sulfur and the other team rushes with lights you may as well just eject and hope your dropship puts out some damage when it delivers your 2nd mech because you're going to get 1, maybe 2 shots if you're lucky before they are gone and destroying stuff and you're watching your heat tick slowly down.

#19 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

As many have said we here in the IS tend to see nothing but Stormcrows and Timberwolves that tend to take more punishment than they deserve.

When finally an IS mech chassis is shown to be of value/danger there is a complaint. Quirks were put in to help IS mechs be more competitive against the Clan mech lineup.

Give me a couple of more days and I'll be in possession of 3 Thunderbolts as well. :)

Cheers and see you in my sights ;)
Eboli

#20 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well, choosing Timberwolfs and Stormcrows over Novas and Summoners is a no brainer :D
But I'm really pissed the Clan has no decent lights. I get so frustrated with all your missile spewing huggins and SPL firestarters, it also makes me want to cry...
I need to invest in streaks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users