#1 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hullo!

After a long break I learned that the Storm Crow was released in MWO, and seeing as it's one of my favorite mechs I just had to come back!

As a die-hard tabletop BattleTech gamer, I personally love the Stormcrow Beta configuration with the U-AC/20, would it be possible to configure the Stormcrow in MWO to have a U-AC/20 or is it currently not feasible?

Are there problems with the Stormcrow (such as hitboxes or locations being too big/small) that I should be aware of, or even attempting to use clan tech in general? I'm patching as we speak so I can't test anything at the moment, something went terribly wrong with my first install :/

Now I just need to wait for the Panther, Wraith, Emperor, Yu Huang, Jinggau or Cauldron Born to be released and I'll be one super happy camper.

If anyone remembers MBT Online, the PNT-9R Panther was my baby <3 Kinda disappointing that it wasn't released with MWO but ah well *shrugs* Maybe I can somehow convince the Devs to release it or the Jinggau sometime in the future.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, is there also some stupid button I need to know to active double-bursting with the U-AC/20 or will that be automatic?

Edited by Xozoyol Zaraoul, 20 December 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#2 mechsnstuffyo

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

You're in luck! the stormcrow is widely considered the best medium in the game right now, hitboxes are solid, and the hardpoint layout is pretty intuitive, and it's also possible to throw a UAC/20 on it if you purchase the correct omnipod for the left arm. One thing to consider is how clan AC's work, they fire a stream of shells as apposed to one round like the IS AC's, the Clan UAC/20 fires 5 shells dealing 4 damage a peice for the full 20 damage, so clan AC's tend to spread damage, imagine lasers that you have to lead with. I had great sucess running my crows with a UAC/20 and 4 medium lasers. and can be swapped to a gauss if you feel like a bit of sniping.

#3 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

Stormcrow is just about God right now. Only downside is lack of jump jets.

AC20 may be ok, but Clan laser and SRM are where its at.

It prolly has the best hitboxes in the game.

Ultra ACs have no special button, just fire again before the cooldown and hope it doesnt jam.

Panther is coming next release. Inner Sphere resistance pack. But no one expects it to be any good. 1 ERPPC isnt enough.

TimberWolf is also greta.

Dire Wolf is good as well.

Clan lights suck aside from the Kitfox...they are too slow. IS lights max the engines.

#4 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

Fantastic!

Would you mind sharing your fit? So I can purchase the Prime Stormcrow frame, and then have an option under mechlab to buy just the right arm omnipod? Or do I have to buy multiple mechs and kitbash this thing?

Also, I'm happy to hear the Panther is coming out, I'll still enjoy screwing around with it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Warhawk? Always liked it more then the Direwolf, personally.

Edited by Xozoyol Zaraoul, 20 December 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#5 mechsnstuffyo

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostXozoyol Zaraoul, on 20 December 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Fantastic!

Would you mind sharing your fit? So I can purchase the Prime Stormcrow frame, and then have an option under mechlab to buy just the right arm omnipod? Or do I have to buy multiple mechs and kitbash this thing?

Also, I'm happy to hear the Panther is coming out, I'll still enjoy screwing around with it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Warhawk? Always liked it more then the Direwolf, personally.

you just buy it and swap the arm, doesn't matter if you have the other variants, as far as warhawk vs direwolf, the warhawk is pretty limited by it's static equipment, you don't have as much tonnage to play with than you would think, they make pretty good lrm boats, and can boat ppcs fairly well.

my stormcrow build was:
Max armor
1xGauss left arm w/ 4tons ammo
4x er-medium laser, 2 in the right arm, 1 in head, 1 in right torso.
double heat sinks, armor and structure upgrades come standard in clan mechs, and the engines are fixed so you don't have to worry about buying a new one, another note: clan engines are xl, and differ from IS xl's as you have to lose both side torso's to die, instead of just one.

#6 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'd say the warhawk is limited more by it's lack of internal space than the direwolf, even though it has 15 tons less weight. You could give the direwolf a try, the prime has been added as a trial mech.

As for the stormcrow there has been mixed builds. The prime is usually in its original config, while i have seen the C with gauss/uac20/uac10. The D is usually with srm6/streak6 and occasionally with llas+srm or llas+lrm. The omnimechs have swappable parts.

#7 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

The stormcrow is a top tier medium. The UAC-20 is not a top tier weapon though unfortunately.

Some good fits for the Stormcrow:
Laserboat
Gausscrow
Brawlcrow
Streakcrow

The first runs hot, but is an excellent fire support build. There are a number of combinations of medium, large, and large pulse lasers that work. That one is just my personal favorite at the moment.

The Gauss Crow is very popular at the moment. Personally not a huge fan, but it works.

The Brawl Crow is one of my favorite builds. It pumps out some staggering DPS for a medium. A lot of people like 5 ASRM-6's for their brawler stormcrows, but I can say with some confidence that my build is better. 5 SRM-6's have lower dps and less pinpoint, and only marginally better heat efficiency.

The Streak Crow is scary good. Yeah the streaks have a long cooldown, but with modules they can be fired at almost 400 meters. Add in the cooldown module and the slow rate of fire isn't so bad. It will shred lights, usually tearing a component off of a 35 tonner with one alpha and killing it with the second. SRM brawler mediums can be ranged with your streaks, and torn apart before they can use the bulk of their firepower. It is however less effective the bigger the target. The only downside to this build is it's kind of boring since you don't have to aim.

#8 ReKLiS

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hey welcome back to mwo! I've also taken a break for almost the same amount of time you did. Last I remember playing was back when you still had to pay for repairs. I've been back ever since the cw update. I've been waiting for the clan mechs

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostXozoyol Zaraoul, on 20 December 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, is there also some stupid button I need to know to active double-bursting with the U-AC/20 or will that be automatic?

Hold to "burst fire" (single use)
Tap rapidly to auto fire. A 'double tap' does not actually get '2' uses out of the Clan UACs. Gotta tap it out one bullet at a time (each doing 4 damage).

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostXozoyol Zaraoul, on 20 December 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

Are there problems with the Stormcrow (such as hitboxes or locations being too big/small) that I should be aware of, or even attempting to use clan tech in general? I'm patching as we speak so I can't test anything at the moment, something went terribly wrong with my first install :/

Stormcrows have some of the best hitboxes in the game. Potentially too good, as you can get away with 2 armor on the back, get surrounded by 6 enemies, and still have all your armor on the back provided you don't stand still. This is because the "rear torso" is a flat panel. A huge flat panel but one nonetheless. The way the Stormcrow runs after speed tweak makes you almost impervious to laser fire (because a single shot aimed for your cockpit [adjusting for your horizontal movement but not adjusting for your vertical bounce] will hit 5 different body parts (head, ST, CT, Arm, and leg) with every 'bounce' in your step.

They are not able to spread the damage of missiles or ballistic weapons, however. And a stationary Stormcrow is a dead one (it's a big head that is impossible to really hit while moving but when stationary, heh, even the LRMs could hit it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users