Finally Got A Chance To Play Cw, Will Be Joining With You All Along With A Few Pals Too

12 replies to this topic

#1 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

Will be joining the FRR till I get to level 20. My pals agreed to group up with this group, and I also finally got my internet/harddrive a bit better. My playing capability is still quite poor, but I will try to stick with you guys for a good while.

So how are border wars and all that? How is the game going for the FRR? How are the space vikings? What are our nemesis' and treaties/part-time alliances?

Also, how is the game itself? Good? Bad? (CW I mean). Strategies besides Zerging? What about these recent updates? Have not been able to try CW out.

I'll also credit the Iron Serpent on giving me a good reason to join you guys, otherwise it would've been going towards Davion or Steiner (which gets a bit boring due to older MW's playing as them). I also know for sure one friend is joining, though some of my others in my very small casual group (like at max it would be give or take 5-10, closer to 5 and I know one guy will join for sure in FRR).

#2 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

First CW match in, to say the least we got like one gate down before everyone died. Though this is pug que so hopefully it gets better.

Disappointing to say the least. How do I tell Clan vs IS, IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan? In all situations I don't want to even try playing against Clans in an offense.

Edit: Second match was a very strong one. IS vs IS is good, and Clan vs Clan also seems to be good even though it's just reports from friends.

Clans and IS are in a very different league, which is the issue.

Edited by luxebo, 20 December 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#3 Sgt C

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

Real coordination is necessary except against the very most dis-organized resistance. There is a TS server for FRR posted in this sub-forum. Come on in.

Sidenote: my first couple of days of CW were also a bit infuriating. You get the hang of it though. You really have to be talking though, IMHO.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

Just under 2,000 posts and you ask questions like you just downloaded the game last week? I guess CW will do that to people. :lol:

FRR is doing pretty alright so far. We have a ceasefire with Draconis Combine and the Lyrans, so right now our only concerns are the clans. The Wolf threat isn't great, we're capable of pushing them back, but most of our resources have been concentrated on the war against Ghost Bear, where we're taking heavy losses.

Check here for all your Space Viking news: http://mwomercs.com/...e-daily-report/

The CW gameplay is definitely not for the faint of heart. Matches of pugs vs. pugs are sometimes reasonable, but not incredibly common. Playing in a group of 9+ on voice comms is a must in order to find the enjoyment in this game mode. If you're joining the Iron Serpent, I wish you the best of luck! I've dropped with a few of them occasionally, they seem like a great group. The FRR hub is always open to all FRR players, so if you log in and see a large group that looks just shy of 12, don't be afraid to poke in and see what's going on, especially if I'm there!

Also, you're invited! -> http://mwomercs.com/...re-frr-faction/

Attacking tactics against clans is basically pick a flavour of zerg rush or fail. It's possible to kill clan pugs, but organised clan units are impossible to fight against. You need to formulate very specific tactics and enact them perfectly to get the generators down when facing organised clan units. 80+kph deathballs, light-only rushes, assault-only pushes, split pushes, ... they are many valid tactics, but they all center around one thing - finding the easiest way to take the primary objective while dealing with the least enemy mechs as possible.

IS vs IS is much easier, but FRR has no active borders with IS factions at the moment. At least unless the Steiner or Kurita truces are abandoned. With the way politics are playing out, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Even the clans are fighting among themselves from time to time.

Edited by Tarogato, 21 December 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#5 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

FRR be like:

#6 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

I actually defended against Kurita for one single match. Then I spent like five matches getting annihilated by Smoke Jaguars trying to attempt an offense. I have a question, how do we tell if were attacking or not since every time I push "Defend" I get sent on a counter-attack? How do we tell it's Clan vs IS or IS vs IS (before getting into that specific match)?

Overall I think Clan vs IS, if Clanners are defending then it's insanely difficult to win, especially against a 12 man (ahem Lords for my first match wasn't good.)

On the topic of actual factions, I think I see Smoke Jaguar and Jade Falcon as issues. I haven't quite encountered a Wolf/GB squad just yet, but I saw the Lords eating into our territory, and at least one if not more than one Smoke Jaguar 12 man. We better watch for all Clanners.

Actual mechs and all that I do have enough to fight properly (and even trials would suffice to some extent as fillers). I do need to learn to survive a lot longer than I should though since I keep entering into brawls and dying near first. I also haven't actually won a match just yet. (I often do die quick but also input a lot of damage in a short period of time.)

Edited by luxebo, 21 December 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

View Postluxebo, on 21 December 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I have a question, how do we tell if were attacking or not since every time I push "Defend" I get sent on a counter-attack? How do we tell it's Clan vs IS or IS vs IS (before getting into that specific match)?
If the planet you chose to drop on is on a border with a Clan, then you'll be fighting clan mechs. If it's on the border of another IS faction, you'll be fighting IS mechs. Right now the FRR has borders with CW, CJF, LC, and DC, and we have a truce pact with the later of the two, so you shouldn't be in matches against any IS mechs at the moment.

Once you get a 12-man team together in the lobby and everybody's name shows up, it will tell you whether you are Defending/Holding Territory, or Attacking/Counter-attacking. When you click to defend a planet, it's possible that you might need to launch a strike to reclaim territory/zone that was lost to the clans, so this is why you find yourself on the attacking side when you're defending a planet.

On the topic of actual factions, I think I see Smoke Jaguar and Jade Falcon as issues. I haven't quite encountered a Wolf/GB squad just yet, but I saw the Lords eating into our territory, and at least one if not more than one Smoke Jaguar 12 man. We better watch for all Clanners.
All clanners are dangerous, yes. However, Jade Falcon is weak without the Lords, and Smoke Jaguar is severely undermanned at the moment. Either of them would not be hard to attack, but the FRR does not share a border with them at the moment. (you can defend any IS faction border against the clans, but you can only attack along your own faction's border.)

Edited by Tarogato, 21 December 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#8 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

There is no official truce with Steiner. The Steiner border is merely not active at the moment. Only a single known Steiner unit voted for a ceasefire with the FRR, all the rest voted against it.

Steiner has a cease fire in place with Clan wolf however, so Steiner is currently busy attacking IS Marik, Kurtian and Liao spaces. Meanwhile Clan wolf appears to have started fighting CJF(LORDS) and the FRR rather exclusively.

#9 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostTarogato, on 21 December 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

All clanners are dangerous, yes. However, Jade Falcon is weak without the Lords, and Smoke Jaguar is severely undermanned at the moment. Either of them would not be hard to attack, but the FRR does not share a border with them at the moment. (you can defend any IS faction border against the clans, but you can only attack along your own faction's border.)

We do have a CJF world we can attack, it is called Maxie's planet, The CSJ world we can attack is called Idlewind.
We are able to attack all clan factions.

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

^ ty, I didn't realise that. =]

#11 Sydney Sender

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSegmentum Ultima, Imperium of Man.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

View Postluxebo, on 20 December 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Clans and IS are in a very different league, which is the issue.

This is the point, this is how it has always been in battletech, Clanners have better mechs and pilots, but fewer numbers and so much in-fighting and fighting for individual glory that the group as a whole is brought down, the IS have numbers and a group oriented combat mentality. the IS got completely wrecked for much of the clan invasion.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostSolathon, on 21 December 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

This is the point, this is how it has always been in battletech, Clanners have better mechs and pilots, but fewer numbers and so much in-fighting and fighting for individual glory that the group as a whole is brought down, the IS have numbers and a group oriented combat mentality. the IS got completely wrecked for much of the clan invasion.

I do realize that, though it doesn't make much fun in a video game we all know and love. I personally like balance, but it is true that Clanners are directly better in equipment. Sadly they weren't able to code in 2 stars vs 3 lances, which would've been quite balanced.

The thing about the Clanners that are so OP is that they have united players, range on maps, and more experienced guys on their side, while generally IS are still fighting each other (though Clanners prob are also fighting each other, just less).

The range is what gets me the most, you can't move in before you don't have armor to brawl anymore. This is practically the one thing that I excel in battles and I can't get to it, which is frustrating. (Plus most of my mechs are good with brawling, except maybe my two LRM boats and my RVN-3L when I use it with ER LL.

Edited by luxebo, 21 December 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Had more Clan vs IS. I've never experienced an actual defense, it's just been offense and offense against Clanners. Which I hop onto that CW server and like 5 people are on only. 6 cannot pull the pugs weight (including me).

Had two consecutive defenses against Clanners. To say the least they were hard fought matches, but in the second we basically grouped into a 12 man and crushed them. IS vs Clan when IS are defending in my opinion is fine and works. I think the biggest thing is that the maps need more cover, otherwise we will see a lot of guys quickly dying/losing.

Edited by luxebo, 22 December 2014 - 12:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users