Why Do You Test Fire Weapons?

77 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonKF

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:24 AM

I have to ask. I see it, all the time, even with Koniving and other veterans.

Why?

#2 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

Too see how much heat they generate.It's easy to forget those numbers.

#3 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

Testing heat for a weapon group is usually the answer, but there are a few other reasons people do it:

Switching back into MWO from another application - people sometimes surf the web or use other apps while waiting for matches, and when coming back into MWO clicking on the MWO app to get back to the game will fire weapon group one.

Also, similar to the above - it's sometimes done to get someones attention who is standing at spawn and may not realize the match has started. weapon sounds are hoped to get their attention and get them back in game.

#4 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

They are just nervouse. There is testing grounds for heat testing. And this is bag sign of MW - if many shoots put in ground and air at start then your team lose the match. It's predictable by 80%.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 21 December 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#5 Yziel

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:46 AM

Because the light and sound effects are pretty? >.<'

#6 Angels Bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:19 AM

because there are lots of peeps dumb enough to fire their weapons at spawn. nothing like having the rear armor removed from your jenner 5 secs into the game cause some yahoo wants to test his heat. O.o

#7 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:20 AM

People are testing heat(groups and alpha).
If I change up mechs, I test my heat since I have a lot of mechs and cannot remember every one of their heat scales.
Just make sure you are not pointing your weapons at a team mate when you test your weapons, we do not like being shot in the rear torso.

Edited by Reverend Poison, 21 December 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

if weapon groups get messed up I will occasionally test fire arm mounted weapons to ensure I have them mapped to the correct mouse button (unfortunately if you have more than 3 weapons in an arm they are not always in a predictable order on the weapon groups screen).

#9 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

I've never hit a friendly while testing my weapons. I've accidentally fired my primary group while torso twisting before (easy to do with a trackpoint) but it's usually just a scrape of lasers. Anybody's whose ever taken a reasonable chunk out of me at spawn gets a stern warning in chat and if they're not nice and apologetic about it, I consider shooting back. =P

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:54 AM

I still occasionally need to test-fire some weapon groups, and launching into the training grounds to test-fire my weapons once is a bit of a waste of time, especially if you're playing in a group!

If you made any weapon changes (or just fire group changes) you may need to test-fire ,not to mention if you added a new heat-related mech skill, your chassis got new heat quirks, or you're dropping on a map with unusual heat and your mech/weapon groups may need some different fire discipline.

#11 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:56 AM

If you have to test your weapons for heat, then TURN around. Generally everyone is facing the same way. If you turn around the space directly in front of you will clear out shortly, if it isn't already. Also, just in case, fire as low into the ground as you can.

I don't believe PGI fixed it, but there was a known issue with the testing grounds that mech efficiencies weren't working in the testing grounds, so to get a true sense of heat dissipation, you had to test fire in a drop.

Edited by mailin, 21 December 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#12 Prc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires - Argentina

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:09 AM

To warmup i guess

#13 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

Sometimes I test fire groups on my mechs when I need to redo the weapon groups due to that wierd glitch where everything goes back to group one (I think the twelve er small nova that I have is the worst to fix the weapon groups on). I think they fixed it recently but when you have a lot of mechs there are still times that you find them that way.

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

Like others have said: Heat testjng. It's important to know the "magic numbers" (what heat you can fire at without shutting down). If I'm taking a mech into a comp drop and don't already know it, I'll go into TG and map it precisely, but for test builds/levleing, I don't want to spend the time or, more importantly, waste my lancemates' time.

#15 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

To get a kickass rave beat going when I break out the 9 SPL Partyback.

#16 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

After rebuilding the mech it is a faff to drop into testing grounds just try how much an alpha will heat the mech up, especially with the variety of temperatures there are on the maps.

#17 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

Heat.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostBrandonKF, on 21 December 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

I have to ask. I see it, all the time, even with Koniving and other veterans.

Why?

Heat checks (especially since quirks have made things 'different' from the stat sheets), making sure weapons are manageable. Gauging whether or not a certain weapon combination can be done and how far the heat can be stressed without causing a shutdown.

Sometimes just for the satisfaction of shooting something and imagining it blowing up (like the gas station in Crimson Strait or the cars on various city maps).

#19 BrandonKF

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Doggone positive vote quotas... I'll get ya'll back, I promise.

#20 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

Makeing sure my groups are set correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users