Goodbye, World Of Warplanes. I'll Miss You.

16 replies to this topic

#1 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Welp, today I logged into WoWP for the first time in a few weeks to see how the game was doing. I had desperately clung to the hope that this game would get better over the past few months as the server population was quite literally abysmal.

So, I logged on this morning, queued for the matchmaker... And 66 people were online. 66. In the entire game. The last time I tried a few weeks ago, it had been 70-90.

Yeah, I think it's pretty official that this game is dead. Which sucks, because I liked WoWP a lot.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 21 December 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Greetings,

I'll think you'll find they (players) have moved to War Thunder,

- more dynamic flight models and available aircraft, as well as separated countries and world location.
- Also I'll assume that the different world servers allow for much faster and balanced games, but that's could just be me.
- With nearly weekly updates and now mixed ground and air being able to 'fight the same map' at the same time, could have been the last straw for it.

Just some impressions when I look at the two from posted video's,
9erRed

#3 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

So have I, I love War Thunder. I'm just going to miss WoWP.

#4 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Why don't you guys play a real sim like Rise of Flight or il2 Cliffs of Dover or Stalingrad?
Why do things by halves?

What has more annoyed me about the games you mention is that they discourage people from making an effort and getting into a real sim by giving them a carrot and stick and an easy mode. Realistic mode in these games is not usually as good as simulator games AND nobody plays them... forcing you to go arcade. Also results in ridiculous match ups.

Edited by AUSSIETROOPER4, 21 December 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#5 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 21 December 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Why don't you guys play a real sim like Rise of Flight or il2 Cliffs of Dover or Stalingrad?
Why do things by halves?

What has more annoyed me about the games you mention is that they discourage people from making an effort and getting into a real sim by giving them a carrot and stick and an easy mode. Realistic mode in these games is not usually as good as simulator games AND nobody plays them... forcing you to go arcade. Also results in ridiculous match ups.

I generally don't enjoy hardcore sims as I don't have the energy to get into them. Plus, my PC doesn't run new ones that well. I do enjoy Combat Flight Simulator 3 on occasion.

#6 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, hardcore games or game modes are for people who don't have lives. For me, games shall always remain fun diversions and nothing more.

Who has time to devote to a hardcore game when there is school, work, and living to be had? ;)

#7 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 21 December 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Yeah, hardcore games or game modes are for people who don't have lives. For me, games shall always remain fun diversions and nothing more.

Who has time to devote to a hardcore game when there is school, work, and living to be had? ;)

I wouldn't say they don't have lives... But I'd say they feel much more passionate about their games than most do.

#8 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:05 AM

IL-2 1946, a classic hardcore flight sim, oh how I love that game, I've also played IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, also a fantastic hardcore flight sim. While I agree WarThunder isn't THAT accurate on the flight models and dynamics of the planes, it is somewhat close, it feels very realistic, and does have a "Simulator" mode, which I enjoy playing.

#9 Sizzles

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

Warthunder: Simulator mode, I-153s against Jets, hilarity ensues.

#10 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Strange, I heard when War Thunder moved into tank battle, it attracted quite a few players but WoWP didn't work out by doing it the other way around.

#11 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

Wargaming now has World Of Warships in Alpha test. They hope this will, with their implementation of a clan system, complete the holy trinity of battle. Ships now has the majority of management attention, and resources devoted to it now. Planes will keep sputtering, and the whole model is being carried by Tanks.

#12 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

I tried to like WoWP, but the flight model was weird. Doesn't hurt my feelings it's gone.

Now if only Red Baron 3D would be updated! That was more my speed of flight sim, i.e. SLOW.

View PostRalphVargr, on 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Wargaming now has World Of Warships in Alpha test. They hope this will, with their implementation of a clan system, complete the holy trinity of battle. Ships now has the majority of management attention, and resources devoted to it now. Planes will keep sputtering, and the whole model is being carried by Tanks.

I played "Fighting Steel" until it wouldn't run on my computer anymore. Loved that game.

#13 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostSizzles, on 22 December 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Warthunder: Simulator mode, I-153s against Jets, hilarity ensues.

Planes' old MM had a three-tier spread, so if you entered a battle as a Tier-7 piston fighter, Tier-10 jets would rip you to pieces (to fill a full 15 v 15, three tiers would be raided due to low population).

Now, there is a one-tier spread for the reviled MM, and you wait a loooong time to get a 1 v 1, or 3 v 3 (Wargaming is big on threes).

#14 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

I really like it too, one of those 66 online. I guess we will be keeping our fingers crossed for its future existence.

#15 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

We are seeing 70 to 80k players near peak time in War Thunder now. Its been up and down throughout the year but after the 1.45 patch, its up.

Despite the annoying plane attacks, Ground Forces population is up, especially in the US server. I don't have to suffer the high pings of playing in the EU servers where the GF population tends to be even higher. I can find full 16v16 games in the US server even in GF Tier V.

Should note that the last few IL2 games are using the Dagor game engine used by War Thunder and developed by Gaijin Entertainment.

Would love to see MWO get rid of the Crytek engine, which now seems increasingly like a straight jacket, and go to using the Dagor engine.

#16 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostAnjian, on 22 December 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

We are seeing 70 to 80k players near peak time in War Thunder now. Its been up and down throughout the year but after the 1.45 patch, its up.

Despite the annoying plane attacks, Ground Forces population is up, especially in the US server. I don't have to suffer the high pings of playing in the EU servers where the GF population tends to be even higher. I can find full 16v16 games in the US server even in GF Tier V.

Should note that the last few IL2 games are using the Dagor game engine used by War Thunder and developed by Gaijin Entertainment.

Would love to see MWO get rid of the Crytek engine, which now seems increasingly like a straight jacket, and go to using the Dagor engine.

Can games just switch engines like that? o-O

#17 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

Greetings all,

You are correct that NO, games can't just change engines.

- Everything was designed, built, and constructed around this CryEngine. From network code to the physical elements within the game.

Asking for an engine change would mean completely re-building a new game from scratch. Dollar wise, not going to happen with what has been invested to get where we are now.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 23 December 2014 - 02:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users