Free Look For Immersion

6 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

I've spent some time looking about the cockpit of my mech at the start of the match, and realized, it feels more like I'm in the cockpit of something when parts of it swing into view as I survey the surroundings.

So why not unlock first person camera in combat? We already have two reticles that display the arm and torso aims, and if we extend our veiw beyond it, it really isn't important to us to aim, I say.

I think it would increase immersion if we had the option to mouse look, with the arms and torso following along as fast as the mech permits.

#2 Circles End

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSol III, Northern hemisphere, Denmark

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

You get a lot of free immersion if you set your FoV to around 80º
The downside with this is that you end up with a default zoom of around 0.8 instead of the normal 1.0

Edited by Circles End, 22 December 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#3 Illuzian Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 213 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like you need TrackIR to maximize your cockpit immersion. Unfortunately you cannot have the reticule follow but it is fantastic for situational awareness and just general awesomeness and immersion.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostFoxfire kadrpg, on 21 December 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

I think it would increase immersion if we had the option to mouse look, with the arms and torso following along as fast as the mech permits.

Hold CTRL, move mouse. Free look. Beyond that just use a mouse with "Armlock" turned off. There's your free look doing exactly what you're stating. You can look left and right beyond where you can aim. With an FOV of 75 (closer to natural vision than 60), you'll be able to see quite liberally.

There is a step further you can go, using TrackIR or Oculus which can disconnect the 'head' from the mouse altogether to look wherever you want. You can also lean and kiss your feet.

With support, this would be a lot better than it is in this video.

#5 Ineffigy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, I really hope they get in OR support before the commerical version is released.

#6 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

Um... you know take a unmastered DW and move your mouse, your head moves faster than the torso or arms and the rest take time to catch up. its already there just on lighter mechs its not really noticable

#7 Event Horizon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Buy TrackIR, problem solved. It works for MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users