14 replies to this topic

#1 Malk2651

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

Question for the community: Does anyone have a workaround solution for random frame rate drops? Could this be a hardware problem on my end?(nothing in my system diagnostics show anything wrong.)

Problem: Frame rates will drop to single digits for 8-15 seconds then correct it's self and return to normal frame rates(45-60fps). Occurs in all maps. Occurs most frequently in CW maps.

Changing graphical settings from Max to low has little to no effect. Changing resolution has no effect. Changing DX versions has no effect. Changing from 32 bit client to 64 bit client has no effect.

This does not occur in other games.

Attempted fixes.

updated video card drivers using a clean install.
Re-installed MWO.
Disabled non essential programs.
Deleted shader folder before launching each game session.(This seems to help the first 1-3 matches, then the problem becomes pronounced again.

System specs:

AMD FX 8350
Geforce GTX 760
8 gig ram
Win 7 64 bit

Youtube video of problem.

#2 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

I too am having the same issues and I have a higher spec'ed rig. This is the first time I've experienced anything like this in a year and half. Incredibly bad with the 64 bit interface. I used to never dip below 40 fps, even in brawls. In CW last night I hit 7 fps at one point.

Win 8 Pro 64bit
I7-3770k oc'ed 4.3ghz
32G 1600 Ballistic Tracer ram
MSI GTX 970 4g
MSI Z77 MPower MB
Running in 1080p.
Everything current driver wise.

Further:
40ms average ping

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 22 December 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#3 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

For AMD CPUs: there are some threads about getting performance benefits from disabling cores.

For Intel CPUs: there can be an issue with power management settings. Go into your advanced power settings and set the minimum processor state at 5% and the max at 99%.

#4 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

My system specs are in my sig and are very similar to the OP's. I do not have this problem at all. I stay 40-60 90% of the time with lows around 30 when the brawling starts.

I run everything on very high with the exception of AA which I have turned off through the client and enabled through nvidia control panel. Vsync enabled and running at 1920 x 1080.

What is your 8350 clocked at? I am only running a very mild OC at 4.5ghz and dont have this problem.

Edited by Basskicker, 22 December 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#5 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostBasskicker, on 22 December 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

My system specs are in my sig and are very similar to the OP's. I do not have this problem at all. I stay 40-60 90% of the time with lows around 30 when the brawling starts.

I run everything on very high with the exception of AA which I have turned off through the client and enabled through nvidia control panel. Vsync enabled and running at 1920 x 1080.

What is your 8350 clocked at? I am only running a very mild OC at 4.5ghz and dont have this problem.

As soon as you pass 4.4ghz with 8 threads this problem goes away....... There are tonnes of performance options for fx users located in the hardware section of the forums look this up.......I wont go into details here because there is much for you to read.http://mwomercs.com/...te-please-help/
This is one of 100's relating to :User.cfg files, OC guides and programs like core parking-to unpark all cores 100% of the time.

#6 Malk2651

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

Found the error.

Error Code: User is an idiot.

Did not have a sufficient power supply for the installed hardware. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

#7 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:17 AM

I have a similar issue, with a similar setup (albeit with a R9 290 OC), and I'm also wondering if my power supply is being wonky. Has upgrading your power supply really fixed the issue?

I don't know how extensive your testing of the issue was, but for me I notice my GPU underclocking and stating low load during the most intense scenes, when the FPS was also low. FPS can drop into the 40s for me and there's "stutter" during gameplay. In the (poorly made but not demanding) menu screens, my GPU load and clock max out. CPU, an AMD 8350, never gets to 100% utilization on any single core.

Overclocking my CPU (it's cool that the 8350 goes to 4.4GHz effortlessly) or changing the resolution also has no effect on my issue. Dumbing my 8350 down into a 4 core processor also has no effect.

I was chalking this up to the Cryengine being unoptomized (which it truly is) and having a rocky history with AMD hardware but I was suspecting the PS and now I'm suspecting it moreso since you were having the same issues with a Nvidia GPU.

#8 Malk2651

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

I was using a 430 watt power supply, when I really needed a 500+ watt. I upgraded to a 600 watt. Had no issues in 3 drops. I'll be dropping a lot more tonight to give a more thorough shake down.

#9 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostMalk2651, on 23 December 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

I was using a 430 watt power supply, when I really needed a 500+ watt. I upgraded to a 600 watt. Had no issues in 3 drops. I'll be dropping a lot more tonight to give a more thorough shake down.

^ Like when I got my zotac amp 760 and my old 600W PSU didnt cut the mustard even though the 760 is more efficient than a GTX460 DCU2 and requires less power......go figure, With old PSU I could only run 6 threads @ 4.6 or brownout my PSU/

#10 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 23 December 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

^ Like when I got my zotac amp 760 and my old 600W PSU didnt cut the mustard even though the 760 is more efficient than a GTX460 DCU2 and requires less power......go figure, With old PSU I could only run 6 threads @ 4.6 or brownout my PSU/

Thats the main reason I havent OCd my cpu any more than I have. Using a 600w PSU at the moment and dont feel it is sufficient for overclocking. About to upgrade after the holidays.

#11 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostBasskicker, on 23 December 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Thats the main reason I havent OCd my cpu any more than I have. Using a 600w PSU at the moment and dont feel it is sufficient for overclocking. About to upgrade after the holidays.

You just need to peel a fan from a factory CPU heatsync and have it blast your VRM's on the ASUS M5A97 or 99 boards.... to keep those capacitors healthy while they pump out 360W + @ 4.7ghz//Posted ImageNo more BSOD or any funny business as long as I keep that fan wedged under my Radiator and held in with rubber sticky pads and a screw in the Blue heat sync.
If I lower fan speed all the way I will overheat VRMS and BSOD @ 4.860ghz............. Max speed the fan allows me to hit 5.2 ghz for 3-6minutes LOLZ 400W+

#12 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

I will try that when I get home from work in about an hour. Dont think a regular stock fan will fit between my Rad and Mobo. But the fan on the heatsink that came with the 8350 is tiny and I think it will fit. Plus Ive got some velcro strips ive been wanting to use for something :D

#13 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Somewhere in the 80x10 range? http://www.frozencpu...tml?id=7htWXNR8

#14 Chimperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

The answer for all post is: It's PGI dude...

PGI has to optimize there codes, servers and nearly all for better performance!
Set particels to low and give your System full power (100% clock speed, no powersaving things)

And then hope that PGI notice that the game runs bad and more bad from patch to patch to point when nobody can play it anymore and then they have to increase the performance or stop the project MWO.

Otherwise fill the Forum with we wan`t better performance Topics.

Yeah we all like and want new content butt who can enjoy it without FPS drops, mirco stutters , HSR/Hitreg issues , gamecrashes and so on?
I'm sure absolut nobody can play MWO without a problem... or with that performance it should run...

#15 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostGoose, on 23 December 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Somewhere in the 80x10 range? http://www.frozencpu...tml?id=7htWXNR8

More like 60x10 I think, but I could be wrong. I would post a pic but Ive already installed it and it's behind the rad and not visible in my 750D Case. Stress testing now @ 4.7ghz and 1.4125 been 20 mins and so far go good. Temps hovering around 50 @ core and 68 @ socket but they have plateaued there.

Edit: Sitting at 4.8 now @ 1.46. Primed for close to an hour and the temps are about as high as I want them to be. 53 Core... 71 Socket.

Edited by Basskicker, 23 December 2014 - 05:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users