Worthwhile Hero Mechs?

51 replies to this topic

#1 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

I have some MC to burn and I'm looking at possibly adding another hero mech to my stable, preferably something in the medium-heavy range. Problem is, after reading through the different ones, I've come to the conclusion that most are inferior to standard variants in that same chassis.

I already own the following:

Pirates' Bane
Ember
Oxide
Yen Lo Wang
Grid Iron
Sparky
Jester
Firebrand
Ilya Muromets
Dragon Slayer
Misery
Hellslinger
Heavy Metal

As I mentioned, I'm looking for something in the medium/heavy weight class range, but the problem is that according to everything I've read and everything I can see, I already own all of the only hero mechs worth buying (which apparently there aren't many of), and the others appear to be actually inferior to many of their standard variant counterparts, especially since the quirks were implemented. Am I missing anything here? Are the IV-Four, X-5, Protector, Arrow, St. Ives Blue, Loup De Guerre, and Gray Death even worth looking at? Or should I just spend my MC on camo patterns and warhorns?

Edited by ContingencyPlan, 22 December 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#2 JJ Dark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Loves the Orion Protector. Build it to quirk specs and is a powerful brawler.

#3 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

IV-4 : Jagermech A with jumpjets,go with 2 AC5:s and 2 SRM6:s,XL255 or 265.Is very good support for assault mechs,steady DPS and almost zero heat issues.You can go for Gauss + 2 SRM6:s if you are fine with the charge in brawls,think it as a bit squishier version of Victor. It works also as a LRM-boat with 2 LRM20:s.

St. Ives: Is the best Vindicator,great SRM-brawler,mini-Griffin.

Loup De Guerre: decent bucket,shadowed by 5J,3C and 7K which are better.

X-5: Good light hunter,the 2-tube missile launchers are just bad.

#4 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 22 December 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

IV-4 : Jagermech A with jumpjets,go with 2 AC5:s and 2 SRM6:s,XL255 or 265.Is very good support for assault mechs,steady DPS and almost zero heat issues.You can go for Gauss + 2 SRM6:s if you are fine with the charge in brawls,think it as a bit squishier version of Victor. It works also as a LRM-boat with 2 LRM20:s.

St. Ives: Is the best Vindicator,great SRM-brawler,mini-Griffin.

Loup De Guerre: decent bucket,shadowed by 5J,3C and 7K which are better.

X-5: Good light hunter,the 2-tube missile launchers are just bad.

If the SIB is the best Vind, I'd hate to see the worst..

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

I see no one commented on the Arrow yet.

The Arrow can do the popular 1-AC/20, 3ML, loadout. The AC/20 loadout also benefits from the quirks for this chassis.
I've had some of my best matches ever in that configuration, although in the BJ-1 Variant.
The 6 MG loadout is more of a troll build, but late in the match once the enemy's armor is stripped, it's a crit seeking monster.

I have to agree with Cookie on the IV4 and Loup de' Guerre. I don't own the others.

Jody

#6 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have to admit I've never really given BJs and QKDs a chance. The extremely low (for a heavy) armor of QKDs turned me off from ever buying one to give them a chance, plus I'm not sure what role they really fill. BJs look like they would basically play the same as Jagermechs but with less tonnage to devote to filling your hardpoints. Are they that good?

Edited by ContingencyPlan, 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#7 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostContingencyPlan, on 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

The extremely low (for a heavy) armor of QKDs turned me off from ever buying one to give them a chance, plus I'm not sure what role they really fill.

QKD-5K is the best heavy IS laserboat currently,that is going to change tho when Grasshopper drops.Quirked ThudSS comes close at firepower,but is slow and lacks range.

you can put 4 of these setups in CW dropdeck QKD-5K

also note that QKD-5K has DHS as standard so the upgrades wont cost so much.

#8 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

Damn that's alot of Hero Mechs. Loup de Guerre? Cool Treb, big Brother of the Huginn, albeit tends more too overheat. Only Variant I prefer, sometimes, is the 5J because it's Quirks are pretty awesome, Medium Laser Duration+it's Speed+JJ's=nasty.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 22 December 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#9 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

The X-5 is good if you are a super light pilot (locusts, commandos) who wants a bit more armor and weapons without too much of a speed reduction. The 2 tube launchers are good for Streaks or LRM5s, as you prefer.

#10 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostContingencyPlan, on 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I have to admit I've never really given BJs and QKDs a chance. The extremely low (for a heavy) armor of QKDs turned me off from ever buying one to give them a chance, plus I'm not sure what role they really fill. BJs look like they would basically play the same as Jagermechs but with less tonnage to devote to filling your hardpoints. Are they that good?

To be honest I was a little hesitant on getting any of the BJ chassis myself. But they actually play really good in a support role, with a big engine they can twist and duck out well. I've had my Arrow survive without its arms and cherry front to back because I spread the damage well. Just don't face tank. You need to strike and fade.
With the Quirk build on my Arrow, I tend to stick in with the heavy lance, let them take the focus while I give them the hammer.
The BJ with the AC5 Quirks is just insane. I have yet to have a Sub 600 damage game now.

If you enjoy lights, the X-5 is actually really good. I downgraded my engine a little, maxed the armor. It runs 4 ML's and 2 x Streaks. Its fast enough, and if you hang around the big guys you can keep the little ones off them.
Nothing is more fearful than when a light meets you head on. Your weight advantage , combined with a BAP on mine means even the ECM ones will feel my streaks. The Other Cicada chassis are good. Best ones in class for me are the 2C and 3M.

My thoughts at least.

-ST

#11 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

You seem to already have most of the truly great Heros. I'm very partial to the LDG--it feels really really nimble to me. While it's lighter than what you said you were in the market for, the Huggin is very strong right now. It's like a tougher Oxide with JJs and MGs.

The Arrow I'm grumpy about, due to the quirks. I have the X-5 but it's not a favorite, mostly due to my not being a big Cicada fan. I don't have the Vindicator, QKD, or SHD Hero so I can't comment. The Golden Boy is pretty similar to what you can get from other Kintaros for C-Bills but like the other LRM5 Kintaro builds it's very handy for tournament weekend farming.

Edit: Also, you may want to check the Announcements sub-forum from last year to see if they had a Hero sale over the holidays. You might save yourself some MC by holding off for a week or two.

Edited by Gauvan, 22 December 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#12 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

Here's my Loup De Guerre which I love to play. It's fast and jumps and turns great for aerial 4srm4 blasts. LOUP DE GUERRE 4SRM4 2ML

I also really like the stock BJ-A. I don't really know what a troll mech is, but it's one hell of a finisher for me if I can avoid direct fire. The mg pitch is so useful when someone is humping a wall that you JJ'd on top of. I think the quirks suck for sure though. I don't think AC20 is the way to go; there are other mechs that do that above 45 tons. 6 mgs is where the fun times roll with this one, IMO.

#13 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostGantry, on 22 December 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Here's my Loup De Guerre which I love to play. It's fast and jumps and turns great for aerial 4srm4 blasts. LOUP DE GUERRE 4SRM4 2ML

I also really like the stock BJ-A. I don't really know what a troll mech is, but it's one hell of a finisher for me if I can avoid direct fire. The mg pitch is so useful when someone is humping a wall that you JJ'd on top of. I think the quirks suck for sure though. I don't think AC20 is the way to go; there are other mechs that do that above 45 tons. 6 mgs is where the fun times roll with this one, IMO.

A troll mech/troll build is a term used to describe mechs whose viability is extremely situational in nature and people primarily run them more for the "WTF" factor than anything else.

#14 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

Ahh, gotcha, thanks for the insight.

#15 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

X5 and Protector are both good Mechs, although they are not as good as most of the ones you listed as owned. I have friends that own both Mechs and swear by them. That being said, I have no personal experience with those two, so I can't vouch for them personally. All I do know, is that when I see BerserX backing me in up his Protector, I have a measure of comfort; and when I see it on the enemy team, I am apprehensive. :)

#16 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 22 December 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

X5 and Protector are both good Mechs, although they are not as good as most of the ones you listed as owned. I have friends that own both Mechs and swear by them. That being said, I have no personal experience with those two, so I can't vouch for them personally. All I do know, is that when I see BerserX backing me in up his Protector, I have a measure of comfort; and when I see it on the enemy team, I am apprehensive. :)

I feel the same way when I see Jodi in a BJ.
That fear. its real.

-ST

#17 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

Huggin. I love it to bits.

however if you want to abuse it's quirks... you can make it spew SRM 4's with modules in less then a second I believe...

#18 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

I enjoy my Anansi very much... 2 AMS, 2 ML, 1 SRM4, all the weaponry needed. 6 Jumpjets and constant use of them to fly across the field and be the most annoying light mech to everything that tries to sit back and spam Lurms. Jumping on top of Catapults or Stalkers is just too much fun... eat their LRMs and cut through their CT from above! :ph34r:

My favourite victims now are King Crabs however... they so large and flat. :lol:

Edited by Marcel Bekker, 22 December 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#19 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostMarcel Bekker, on 22 December 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

My favourite victims now are King Crabs however... they so large and flat. :lol:

Posted Image

#20 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostM4NTiC0R3X, on 22 December 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

That reminds me, I want a Benny Hill Theme Warhorn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users