First, let me give you my PCs current specs:

i7 3930k
ASUS Sabertooth x79
Corsair H100i
32 GB RAM
2 x Gigabyte AMD 7970s
2 x 512 GB SSD
Win 7 64 bit ultimate

I used to have 64 GB of RAM but it was suggested I take some of it out as that may have been causing some of my MWO FPS woes but I'm still seeing the occasional dips into the 20s, typically when using advanced zoom with a lot of ballistics and LRMs around.

I've gone into BIOS and disabled hyperthreading like many have suggested, no real changes. I've run the CPU at the stock speed (I am currently) and also at a 4ghz OC (mild I know) with no real change either.

I have no issues in any ohter games (except SWTOR, another game notorious for terrible optimization) or when benchmarking (high scores and also amazing FPS in games like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider) so a lot of things that were suggested to me didn't seem likely but I tried them anyway, like reducing the RAM. I've checked for CPU throttling, low voltage, and every other damn thing that has been suggested. I've never tried a serious overclock in the 4.6-4.8 range because like a lot of H100i mine isn't recognized by its own software so I can't play with the fan speeds and am basically stuck with the stock settings/profile.

Well now I've seen it suggested that I ditch AMD and crossfire as it is just too much of a headache and the problems could be with that setup. The 980 looks nice, specifically this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487068

I'm wondering if abandoning my dual card setup in favor of 1 badass card might do the trick. It is tempting to not just go for two 980s (if anything ever went below 100fps, I would fuckign break something) but then that is 1/2 of the point of ditching my crossfireX cards.

What would serve me better to stop this sorry ass performance, a cooling system upgrade and a large overclock to my CPU or getting out of my aging AMD cards and into a 980 or two?

Or is this just a case of software so bad no amount of hardware can make up for it?

Edited by Kain Thul, 22 December 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

Can you make some log files, to figure out where the bottleneck it?

And what's your settings?

#3 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Take out one of your video cards and give it a shot.

You can SLI 2 980s or w/e you want, you will not get 100FPS on this game at max settings with SLI either.

AMD cards have no issues with this game, it seems like on some people's machines AMD processors can have problems though.

#4 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostGoose, on 22 December 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Whether I put them on Very High or Low the dramatic FPS drops can still happen. It is just more frequent at the higher settings when you get lots of projectiles coming your way.

View PostGoose, on 22 December 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

My CPU always shows incredibly low usage for this game. What is a good program to log both at the same time?

#5 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

One would think that That CPU cooled by that cooler despite missing custom profiles......would not see dips into 20's for FPS......There is an issue for sure.......

**EDIT** but at the same time unless you plan on running a 5960X @ 4+ ghz under custom liquid loop you couldn't expect better than to Vsync @ 60FPS and not dip below. MWO is special.....

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 22 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#6 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 22 December 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Whether I put them on Very High or Low the dramatic FPS drops can still happen. It is just more frequent at the higher settings when you get lots of projectiles coming your way.

My CPU always shows incredibly low usage for this game. What is a good program to log both at the same time?

Well there;s no way MWO will utilize that whole processor.... so showing lower usage is probably OK.

Do this for me, go into control panel, check your power settings, and make sure it's on "high performance"

#7 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostcSand, on 22 December 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Well there;s no way MWO will utilize that whole processor.... so showing lower usage is probably OK.

Do this for me, go into control panel, check your power settings, and make sure it's on "high performance"

That was one of the first things suggested to me for finding sources of CPU throttling. I have them on high performance.

#8 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Kain... I feel for you. You have a very nice setup, and as it would seem, it simply doesn't matter within reason how much you throw $$ wise at this game on hardware. Everyone is feeling the effects of this games engine and what seems to be lack of optimization.

I would ditch one of the 7970's and try running just one, sometimes Crossfire has had issues and a second card can cause issues. Not saying this is it, but its worth a shot. I believe many would recommend going with one bad a$$ card over two any day, and I would have to agree until any real attempt is made by this game to take advantage of SLI, or crossfire. You should be seeing some really nice fps with just a single 7970 and mild OC on that card, it's not the best out there, but it is a beast of a card and should have no issues with handling this game or low fps, or stutters.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

Got a framerate limit in your user.cfg?

Got the latest Intel .inf files, installed with Admin rights and the -overall command line switch? This is a trick question, as Intel are jerks about what package supports what …

Got your ATI drivers installed with DDU?

Got your OS's power plan set to High Performance? Within that, do you have the two "processor states" set to 100%?

#10 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 22 December 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

6 core with hyperthreading, you could be cpu limited on a single tread and taskmanager will show 9% cpu use.

Try totally disabling crossfire, and see if you can temporarily force max gpu clocks with msi afterburner or something.

#11 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 22 December 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Kain... I feel for you. You have a very nice setup, and as it would seem, it simply doesn't matter within reason how much you throw $$ wise at this game on hardware. Everyone is feeling the effects of this games engine and what seems to be lack of optimization.

I would ditch one of the 7970's and try running just one, sometimes Crossfire has had issues and a second card can cause issues. Not saying this is it, but its worth a shot. I believe many would recommend going with one bad a$$ card over two any day, and I would have to agree until any real attempt is made by this game to take advantage of SLI, or crossfire. You should be seeing some really nice fps with just a single 7970 and mild OC on that card, it's not the best out there, but it is a beast of a card and should have no issues with handling this game or low fps, or stutters.

I built this at the end of last summer--the 7970s were pretty top of the line back then. Can't remember why I didn't go 7990, I think newegg just had a badass deal on the 7970s and I thought either would be overkill anyway.

I guess I was naive--I hadn't built a PC in YEARS and even then I didn't have an unlimited budget like I do now and thought I would never see issues like this if I just got top of the line hardware. I think next time I'll just get a custom PC from one of the builders that specialize in high-end gaming rigs next time and maybe even tone it down a bit since cross platform releases (consoles) are really limiting PC games now.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

yea I would definitely just pull one of those video cards and see how it runs

edit:

FTR, the 7990 is just 2 7970's crossfired on 1 PCB. So, same boat you're in now really in a different package. And you'd have the same issues if games didn't support crossfire well (like MWO)

Edited by cSand, 22 December 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#13 Jabakahn

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Have you tried the 64 bit MWO client that came out with the last patch?

My setup is good but not extreme, running an I7 at 3.5 GHz 16 GB ram and a single GTX 770. Your setup should be screaming.

I have the resolution set at 1920 x 1080 and game on very high detail and have no issues with frame rate usually 40 - 60 fps.

Edited by Jabakahn, 22 December 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#14 sspfunk

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Did you try turning off virtual memory?
With that much RAM you definitely do not need it.

#15 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Let's try the 64-bit client with a 4.2GhZ or better OC, particles at medium and everything else at high after running the repair tool and setting the option to clear the shader cache. Post results. Also, check out my performance tests thread. That's with a 5820K at 4.1GhZ and a GTX 980.

#16 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

I haven't seen a difference with the 64 b it client y et and I have cleared the shader cache a few times in the past.

I always think I've found the answer since the extreme dips are so infrequent only to encounter one hours later or the next day.

#17 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

MWO runs poorly, and doesn't do the engine justice graphically.

That's just how it is. No matter how much money you throw at your machine, it's not gonna run any better.

#18 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 22 December 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

I built this at the end of last summer--the 7970s were pretty top of the line back then. Can't remember why I didn't go 7990, I think newegg just had a badass deal on the 7970s and I thought either would be overkill anyway.

I guess I was naive--I hadn't built a PC in YEARS and even then I didn't have an unlimited budget like I do now and thought I would never see issues like this if I just got top of the line hardware. I think next time I'll just get a custom PC from one of the builders that specialize in high-end gaming rigs next time and maybe even tone it down a bit since cross platform releases (consoles) are really limiting PC games now.

I think you was wise to pick up those 7970's and I don't believe they are not your problem. Those cards still are beast, I don't care what anyone says. Have you tried just running one of them yet? It might help, which is pretty sad given that you should see some big gains by crossfire or SLI in this game. What a shame. :(

View PostcSand, on 22 December 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

yea I would definitely just pull one of those video cards and see how it runs

edit:

FTR, the 7990 is just 2 7970's crossfired on 1 PCB. So, same boat you're in now really in a different package. And you'd have the same issues if games didn't support crossfire well (like MWO)

yep.... this would be the case for sure. What a shame. :(

#19 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

pretty sure no machine short of a highly overclocked (5ghz+ I5 or better) with a single gtx titan OC'd under liquid nitro can run this game max settings without hicups

my rig

fx9590 at 5.2 ghz
Sabertooth 990fx rev 1
32 GB Gskill ares 1866
GTX660 @ 1240mhz core 6800 mem
64GB Corsair force 3 (MWO is installed on the SSD)

best way to get the most performance
use "comp" settings IE all texture and detail settings maxed all effects (particles shadows est) low
run MWO from a ram drive it both makes map loading almost instant and it reduces hickups when the game loads new data in-game.

I average between 90-40 fps at 1920X1024 most of the time. there are still some short hicups but using a RAM drive really seems to help with this.

use DX9 with 64 bit as that seems to produce the best results overall.

hope it helps :).

#20 Osirustwits

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

Upgrade to a single card. When I built mine I was wondering the same thing about buying those cards I went with an asus R7 260x it was on a good deal I play on a 46 inch samsung tv and rarely have drops under 40. I have an I5 4670K and I only play on max settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users