Looking For A New Is Medium Line

36 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

I have 3 Shadowhawks currently and I am looking to add to my medium collection (will have Enforcers when they become available). Anyway, I really like the Clan Stormcrow, but realize that most folks do. I also realize that I cannot recreate that mech in an Inner Sphere Chassis. I enjoy playing laser builds along with SRMs and some autocannons on occasion. I would like to have some agility.

So far I am considering the following:

Hunchbacks (tried the 4P out as a trial mech and it felt pretty nimble, tough, and deadly enough)

Wolverines (Probably start with 7K or maybe 6K, loved these guys in Btech...)

Vindicators (do not know much about this guy)

Centurions (had these at the beginning, they were meh then, but willing to relook)

Thanks!

#2 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

So...You are looking for a medium mech capable of being a laser boat, an srm boat, or an autocannon boat. Oh, and you want it to be nimble... Umm... I think you are asking for a bit much from a medium chassis, but out of your options I'd try the hunchback. You can build a standard engine variant with lasers that is both tough and packs a punch, along with a standard engine variant with ac/20 or guass. Your srm variants are gonna have a lot of lasers plus ammo, which starts affecting available tonnage and hps. You are probably gonna have to go xl with them. Overall, the hunchie has plenty of variants and hardpoints to exploit. It may not have the pure speed of others, but it makes up for it with a fairly nimble twist and a body that lends itself to spreading damage.
Personally I dislike the hunchie. I prefer medium mechs with jjs and more speed rather than overall firepower. That's a personal thing though, and based on what you've said I think the hunchie is the medium for you. Good luck, and remember to play on smurfie and take into account quirks before going on a huge spending spree!

#3 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

I am sorry I was not more clear in my post, but I was not asking for all 3 in one mech, but I wanted to let folks know my weapons of choice...not a big LRM spammer, I also generally do not use the AC/20s and I use lasers more than PPCs. I would like to be somewhat agile though, yes. Once again, I apologize for not being more clear and thanks for the advice on the Hunchie!

Edited by MechLord71, 22 December 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#4 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hunchback 4G

AC20+machine guns+3 med lasers = quite well rounded and fun to play once you learn how to protect your hunch

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostMechLord71, on 22 December 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

...but I was not asking for all 3 in one mech....

I am not sure in which manor you mean mech - but each variant of the Hunchie only does one thing

Some specialize in balistics
Some in Energy

Only one carries all 3 hardpoints - and it is frequently considered the worst.

#6 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

I meant I did not expect 1 variant of a mech to have all 3 weapons I prefer (lasers, small to medium autocannons and SRMs). It is late, guess I should not post when I am tired :)

Edited by MechLord71, 22 December 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

If you have any MC available and are willing to buy a Medium Class Hero, one you could consider is the Griffin's Sparky.

Do you know about mechspecs.com or smurfy's? And there is a third I've seen recently being metamechs.com

There you can see options for yourself and we can give our opinions of what we've ran ourselves.

Because who knows if you end up liking to run IS LPLs were you might consider the BJ-1X as an alternative over other Medium mechs that allow for multiple energy weapons.

Any particular weapons or specific styles of play suit you best? Because outside of the Shadow Hawks the only ones I could recommened would be Griffins or Wolverines from what you've said so far.

#8 anfadern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

Get a Jenner with 4MPL, fast agile and have enough firepower

#9 eblackthorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

Vindicator 1AA is a fast nimble mech with great bonuses to PPC's. Here's my build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...22bf7dec5708e6d

Blackjacks can be very versatile mech. The DDC with 2 ac/5's can do some serious damage. The Arrow or BJ-1 can make great AC/20 & Ml mech's

Edited by eblackthorn, 23 December 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

Go for the Wolverines,the quirks are really good.

If you want absolute tanking ability,Centurion,those mechs can take a beating before they go down.

#11 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:24 AM

If you want a faster, nimbler, more agile Shadowhawk, that still packs a punch and is very XL friendly, the Trebuchet line is not to be overlooked.

#12 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hunchback and Centurion can fit the bill for what you're asking, although you're going to have to get a different variant for each type of weapon you want to boat.

For Hunchbacks, you basically have 4 options (because realistically the 4J sucks). The 4SP is an SRM6 + medium laser brawler. It's very good at what it does. The 4P is an all laser boat. The 4H and 4G are both combination laser + autocannon, with the 4H fielding an AC10 + 5 lasers, and the 4G fielding an AC20 + 3 lasers.

For Centurions, they're all great. They each (with the exception of the AH and YLW) have torso-mounted energy and launcher hardpoints, with a shield arm on the left, and a right arm that is intended to be carrying their "primary" weapon. The A and the D each have ballistics hardpoints there, with quirks for either the AC/10 or LBX-10 depending on which one. The AL sacrifices the ballistics hardpoints for more lasers and quirks that benefit large lasers. They're all very effective.

Shadowhawks' really only benefit over them IMO is jump jets and the fact that you can viably fit XL engines, something centurions and hunchbacks don't do well. Not only that but because they were already so powerful before the quirks were implemented, they didn't receive quirks that were all that significant and as a result the Hunchback and Centurion (which were quirked to hell and back) now outperform them when fitted to quirk.

I have no experience whatsoever with Wolverines. I do love both hunchies and centurions but I play them very differently. All my cents are fitted to act as brawlers and I make heavy use of the shield arm. Hunchbacks I hang back a bit and act as fire support, hanging with the assaults and heavies (except of course the 4SP which plays unlike any other hunchback). A centurion pilot who knows how to use torso twist to his advantage and lead with that shield arm effectively can stay in the fight as long as many assaults.

Edited by ContingencyPlan, 23 December 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#13 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostContingencyPlan, on 23 December 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

For Hunchbacks, you basically have 4 options (because realistically the 4J sucks).

Have you SEEN how fast the 4J can pump out LRMs with the quirks now? Particularly when you add an LRM10 Cooldown module?

The thing can be downright evil now as a fast LRM carrier. Particularly if you drop in an XL and stay behind the lines.

Edited by MarineTech, 23 December 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#14 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostMechLord71, on 22 December 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

I have 3 Shadowhawks currently and I am looking to add to my medium collection (will have Enforcers when they become available). Anyway, I really like the Clan Stormcrow, but realize that most folks do. I also realize that I cannot recreate that mech in an Inner Sphere Chassis. I enjoy playing laser builds along with SRMs and some autocannons on occasion. I would like to have some agility.

So far I am considering the following:

Hunchbacks (tried the 4P out as a trial mech and it felt pretty nimble, tough, and deadly enough)

Wolverines (Probably start with 7K or maybe 6K, loved these guys in Btech...)

Vindicators (do not know much about this guy)

Centurions (had these at the beginning, they were meh then, but willing to relook)

Thanks!

I would strongly suggest the Hunchback line. Relatively cheap, so if you don't like them then they won't set you back too much. But the range in variety of the different variants gives you a lot of options for finding what you like. You can laserboat, you can build around a big cannon, you can lrm spam, or you can mix them up a little. They are also very durable and a little more secure than the Centurion with your main punch housed in a torso rather than an arm.

Centurions are still a very good choice, being able to benefit both from STD and XL builds. They are simply one of the most durable mechs in the game, though their "best" builds tend to focus on their ability to "zombie" well and can get a little boring for some.

If you like laser builds, then Blackjacks are worth a look. While most of the variants have AC-oriented quirks, they still have good affinity for laser builds. The 1X can get you the same laser punch as the Hunchback -4P but with a better spread across your mech for more intuitive and heat-friendly weapon groups and less risk at losing all of your weapons from one lucky jerk with dual gauss. The high arm placement of the hardpoints also gives them a nice sneaky feel for poking wars.

Griffins are also fairly strong right now. Not going to be as durable as the Hunchback, but you will be more nimble and probably carry a stronger punch, though you don't necessarily have as many options across the variants.

I would try other stuff before you invest in Vindicators. Don't get me wrong: it's one of my favorite mechs, but it's kind of its own beast. Not quite as nimble as other options and it can be durable, but Vindicators tend to carry their biggest punch in their arms and their arms have a tendency to suddenly fall off...

#15 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thanks all! I will give the Hunchies and Cents a look...maybe the Wolverine as well.

#16 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Dragon! Oh wait, that's not a medium you say? Ah well, it felt kind of like one to me.

#17 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Wolverine: Lots of variety between variants, and they all perform admirably in their roles.
Griffin: Still pretty strong, but got 0 useful quirks outside of the Sparky. Pretty much a dedicated SRM boat.
Hunchback: 4P and 4SP are currently the two viable variants, the ballistic ones are all pretty fun.
Centurion: Still meh, post quirk in the 50 tonner arena the Hunchback is just better.

Overall from what you've said I'd recommend the Wolverine (for the Wubvarine) or the Hunchback for the 4P. The Sparky is a 3rd option if you want the C-Bills from a hero and don't mind spending real cash.

#18 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

Guess I forgot the Kintaro. I like the trial one, even if it is an LRM-boating piece of junk.

#19 Berserkre

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAshland, Ohio

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

I like the KTO-18 right now with a TAG and 5 LRM5's. With the quirks and cooldown modules you can really keep an enemy pinned down. Works best with another LRM boat helping to get through AMS, but I've had some really solid games with that build.. especially in CW.

#20 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostDagon Zur, on 23 December 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

If you want a faster, nimbler, more agile Shadowhawk, that still packs a punch and is very XL friendly, the Trebuchet line is not to be overlooked.

I like the Trebs but recommending them as Shadowhawk alternatives, not sure I can agree with that. Granted they can be super fun mechs but they are definitely less durable. Their arms help keep them alive but thats also where they keep most of their weapons. Mostly though, it's just that they're too big.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users