123 replies to this topic

#21 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

And then there's this douche, ******** up the thread.

For the last time:
DAVION IS NOT FARMING AUTO-WINS!

Zerging the queue for auto-wins isn't even POSSIBLE. You know that 36 defenders locks up a planet, right? Because a match takes 30 minutes, matchmaker searches for 11 minutes for defenders, and IT WILL ONLY SEARCH FOR ONE MATCH AT A TIME.

This means that when there are 36 defenders and 72 attackers, there are 36 attackers in a match, 12 attackers locked into a game and searching for enemies, and 24 attackers watching the counter tick UP while they stare at a lobby full of "PILOT RECEIVING ORDERS."

Davion doesn't get auto-wins. Our queue times are HORRIBLE. We wait our turn to play REAL MATCHES, and that's what we get!

Posted Image

View PostCaine2112, on 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

I simply do not wish for my single gripe towards respectable Davion pilots be the only thing you focus on. You guys on that side of the line fight tough and hard and, to be honest, I believe a lot of the "elite" groups (they know who they are), could learn a thing or three about fighting CW battles within the spirit of the game as opposed to "meta cheesing" the crap out of the game. But hey, these units have no respect for themselves, so why should they respect others, right?

TL;DR: I respect and salute Davion pilots who bring good, tough battles in the spirit of the way the game is meant to be played. We Mariks have been able to get some wins just as much as you guys, and that's what has breathed new life into this game.

o7

#22 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

It's really getting old, seeing all the hard work put in by the leadership structure and by the hundreds of pilots we put into drops every day, and having it discounted in every single goddamn thread as "farming auto-wins" when the reality couldn't be farther from the truth.

This thread offered a chance to just be good sports and congratulate each other on hard-fought matches, which absolutely every single one has been... and even in THIS thread, there's no getting away from the downright false accusations of farming auto-wins.

You'd be pissed off too if you got accused of exploiting in every single ******* thread you read.

It's in every faction's forums. It's on /r/mwo. It's on /r/outreachhpg. It's on twitter. It's ******* everywhere, and it's completely false. Russ even tweeted about it!

#23 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

Don't let one statement ruffle your feathers. I'm sure you've heard worse allegations, as have the rest of us. We all know that the fights have been arduous to say the least, and there is a strong respect for each other as a result. Let's keep that spirit going and not give in to anger over a non issue.

#24 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostPodex, on 24 December 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Don't let one statement ruffle your feathers. I'm sure you've heard worse allegations, as have the rest of us. We all know that the fights have been arduous to say the least, and there is a strong respect for each other as a result. Let's keep that spirit going and not give in to anger over a non issue.

It's not even that there are worse allegations... it's just that it's the exact same allegation from every single faction... and the vast majority of individual units.

And it's an allegation of something that's not even possible when defenders are present.

It's just... we're fighting a 3-front war against enemies who (when taken together) greatly outnumber us, and all we ever hear is "it doesn't matter because Davion cheats by zerging the queue."

I just wanted ONE thread without it. One. That's it.

Can you please help get the word out there that coordinated zerging of the queue for autowins isn't even possible? So many people automatically dismiss it when they see a Davion tag next to the explanation, but Davions and devs are the only ones who really know how bad the population imbalance makes our queues... and the devs have already spoken as much as they're going to.

#25 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have limited reach, but I can try to shut things down when I hear them.

#26 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Meh, if you listened to the 228, Marik hides from them.

Truth is, we'd rather play against the "comp" teams on the Davion border because they understand the concept of sportsmanship and aren't all filled with epeen and douchebaggery.

Allow me to illustrate. Marik is Godzilla and units like the 228 are annoying hornets buzzing in your ear.

Posted Image

We're not playing the game to give our lives meaning, We're playing to relax and have fun, as most of us are old enough to remember MPBT: 3025. Loosing a match can still be fun, loosing a match to Call of Battlehalo kiddies who'd teabag you if they could make the mech do it, isn't.

#27 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

Gesture not withstanding, I love the Oatmeal.

Edited by Kjudoon, 24 December 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#28 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

So far there have two campaigns that I enjoyed the most. The first was the insane defense we put up on persistence, and the second was the Old Kentucky back and forth. Those two have been the most fun I've had in CW.

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

We're not playing the game to give our lives meaning, We're playing to relax and have fun, as most of us are old enough to remember MPBT: 3025. Loosing a match can still be fun, loosing a match to Call of Battlehalo kiddies who'd teabag you if they could make the mech do it, isn't.

Sad part is that it's not even a joke. If they could the really would make the mechs teabag.

#29 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostPodex, on 24 December 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

I have limited reach, but I can try to shut things down when I hear them.

Thank you.

I'm working on a post that I'll put up in each house's forum regarding exactly how matchmaker works. It'll be completely stripped of any faction pride, just a technical description of how players are handled.

It'll probably be dismissed as "Davion propaganda" by 90% of players, but... as long as there are a handful of people like you out there who will listen to reason, I have to try.

#30 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm working on a post that I'll put up in each house's forum regarding exactly how matchmaker works. It'll be completely stripped of any faction pride, just a technical description of how players are handled.

You mean this?
http://mwomercs.com/...45#entry4041845

#31 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Thank you.

It'll probably be dismissed as "Davion propaganda" by 90% of players, but... as long as there are a handful of people like you out there who will listen to reason, I have to try.

The main thing is to strip out anything Davion. Keep it written in 3rd person and as objective as you can. If they lash out, don't fight. State your business and don't go back.

#32 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Precisely that.

I'm going to re-word it and add flow charts to avoid the "TL;DR" trap, but I'll definitely link to that (and Russ's response!) as citations.

Can you try to spread the word as widely as possible?

#33 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

I do, most everyone I drop with gets it, but I'll still spread the word to the unenlightened.

Maybe someday I'll tell you how to be able to tell what map you're going to get in CW ;)

#34 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

I do, most everyone I drop with gets it, but I'll still spread the word to the unenlightened.

Maybe someday I'll tell you how to be able to tell what map you're going to get in CW ;)

I can help there. The individual territories on each planet were seeded with a map value according to a random assignment table that is based on that planet's climate. The RAT for icy worlds are simply 100% Boreal, so each territory within that planet is seeded with Boreal as its map. The RAT for caustic worlds are simply 100% Sulfurous, so each territory within that planet is seeded with Sulfurous as its map.

The vast majority of planets have some mixture of the two, so for an 80% Boreal planet, the RNG selects a value from 1-100 for each territory. Any value 1-80 results in that territory being permanently assigned Boreal. Any value 81-100 seeds that territory as sulfurous.

So from that, my understanding is that for planet x, if you see territory #3 as Boreal... territory #3 will be Boreal until the devs have a reason to reroll that planet's territories (like the introduction of a new map).

#35 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

I can help there. The individual territories on each planet were seeded with a map value according to a random assignment table that is based on that planet's climate. The RAT for icy worlds are simply 100% Boreal, so each territory within that planet is seeded with Boreal as its map. The RAT for caustic worlds are simply 100% Sulfurous, so each territory within that planet is seeded with Sulfurous as its map.

The vast majority of planets have some mixture of the two, so for an 80% Boreal planet, the RNG selects a value from 1-100 for each territory. Any value 1-80 results in that territory being permanently assigned Boreal. Any value 81-100 seeds that territory as sulfurous.

So from that, my understanding is that for planet x, if you see territory #3 as Boreal... territory #3 will be Boreal until the devs have a reason to reroll that planet's territories (like the introduction of a new map).

Nope.
It's WAY much simpler than that right now, and proven to be correct 100% of the time, regardless of planet.

You're overthinking it.

#36 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

multiply how many wins you have by 42.832, divide by the inverse of Plank's constant plus the square root of shoe and you'll know what map you'll get two days from now.

Simple.

#37 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

Name calling aside, it is possible to get outwins. Granted there can only be 15 matches at any given time, but Marik isn't able to field enough people to defend 15 matches. At best we do around 6. Hence auto-wins. It's proven you can do it.

I respect friendly debate, and if you can provide ample irrefutable proof that it is indeed impossible to get auto-wins due to flooding the queue on one side, I'll retract my previous post.

Let's keep it civil. Name calling is for douchebags.

#38 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 24 December 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Name calling aside, it is possible to get outwins. Granted there can only be 15 matches at any given time, but Marik isn't able to field enough people to defend 15 matches. At best we do around 6. Hence auto-wins. It's proven you can do it.

I respect friendly debate, and if you can provide ample irrefutable proof that it is indeed impossible to get auto-wins due to flooding the queue on one side, I'll retract my previous post.

Let's keep it civil. Name calling is for douchebags.

Please stop. Three twelve-mans completely locks a planet out from the possibility of auto-wins.

I can personally attest to the fact that Davion has only taken one planet due to a last minute auto-win.

You're arguing your feelings against cold hard fact.

#39 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

FLIPPING INCREDIBLE GODZILLA AND HORNET COMIC
-CLIPPED FOR LESS SCROLLING-

Holy smokes that may be the single funniest thing I've yet seen in these forums since closed beta.... My wife was like "Hey what the hell are you laughing at? oh.... its you're robots.... dork..... oh hey... is that gozilla?....wait... thats funny! "

And I've been good! I wanna know how to tell what map!!!! Is it too late to get a letter out to Santa?

#40 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Simply put, Matchmaker will only work one set of attackers at a time. So while there's a maximum of 15 games going at any given time, it will not search for a second game until the first one has launched.

This means that - if a team is on course to get an auto-win, they're sitting there for 10 solid minutes. After those 10 minutes are up, THEN Matchmaker picks up the second group and starts THEIR 10 minute waiting period.

The maximum length of a match is 30 minutes. This means that - even if every defender drags the game out to the maximum length of time - the first defending group will be free to defend a new match before the fourth attacking group's waiting period is up.

If you don't believe me about matchmaker working one group at a time, come to Davion for a week and see how much time you spend waiting on a Liao planet with 40 defenders (not nearly enough to max out the territories) in queue. You sit there and stare at "PILOTS RECEIVING ORDERS" for sometimes upwards of 30 minutes, because Matchmaker has other groups ahead of you, waiting for their turn to wait on defenders.

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 December 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Nope.
It's WAY much simpler than that right now, and proven to be correct 100% of the time, regardless of planet.

You're overthinking it.

... read the loading screen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users