123 replies to this topic

#1 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

I've dropped on every front available to me, in groups and solo in PuGs, and I just want to let you guys know that the fights and matches on the Marik border are the toughest, most organized, most hotly contested (both in game and in forum RP) and enjoyable fights in the game.

I've been in drops where we won big, got rolled like rookies, and more close matches than I can keep track of in both directions.

A couple days back I was in a PUG drop defending some planet against the clans, and a Seraphim pilot I were able to herd the cats, quickly come up with a 4 drop plan, and coordinate an Inner Sphere victory on Counter-Attacking a Clan Insurgent position.

All of the ribs, jibes, playground trashtalk, and forum photoshop a-bombing aside, NO other faction in the game has more respect on the field of battle in my mind.

You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work, and happy holidays.

#2 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

I've actually dropped against you! Was fun fighting against you! (I think I saw you in a Jager. Or it may have been your double. There is another guy with a name a lot like yours.)

/Bow. It is a honor to fight and be recognized, you guys keep up the amazing and tough fights as well! Its been such an amazing back and forth for the past few days.

For the moment, let us share the field as allies and drop against those dirty Clanners.

#3 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

I have to agree completely. Fighting on the Dav border has been the most fun I've had in MWO since closed beta, and the most MW fun I've had since MPBT: 3025.

Hats off to all Dav units, for no matter how the battle goes, they all (even their Competitive units) show true sportsmanship, and play the game in its intended "spirit", not just in "what's allowed". I've yet to see a drop that could best be described as "Metahumping" or "Bringing the cheeze".

Looking forward to more in 3051, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

Some of the hardest, best fights I've had are Dav/Mar border fights. Have to bring your A-Game, every drop every time. Ran 11 for 12 wins on the Clan border last night pugging and with my unit, flat out just can't do that in Marik space.

Props and due respect. You guys are some of the hardest fighting folks in CW, no question.

#5 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 23 December 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Some of the hardest, best fights I've had are Dav/Mar border fights. Have to bring your A-Game, every drop every time. Ran 11 for 12 wins on the Clan border last night pugging and with my unit, flat out just can't do that in Marik space.

Props and due respect. You guys are some of the hardest fighting folks in CW, no question.

I am so happy I found this thread. I signed my unit up for a 28-day stretch at the start of CW, and at first it was great! Then things took a downward turn, mainly with the realisation that my (and the rest of my EU colleagues) were having our gains swept from under us after we went to bed. Every night.

We show up, we still fight, we still end up on the winning side the majority of the time - we just keep haemorrhaging planets at the moment.

Of course, there are several more-than-competent units calling the FWL home. I think there are more with Davion, though ;) So it's nice to see that it's not such a roll as it appears in all the reports I read on waking :)

#6 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

Im sure both sides of the border are just happy Wazan is off the map. I was to the point I font care who takes I am just sick of fighting on it.

#7 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

View Poststevemac, on 23 December 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Im sure both sides of the border are just happy Wazan is off the map. I was to the point I font care who takes I am just sick of fighting on it.

I asked Russ on Twitter if he had a chance, to find out how many mechs were destroyed on Wazan over the last week.

#8 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:36 AM

People are going to sing songs about Wazan.

#9 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

I would also like to raise a hat tip to the Marik unit we fought on Wotan tonight. We were defending on the cold planet (sorry, am old and forgot/don't care about the name :unsure:) which is usually an easy defense but you guys scared the crap out of us with the light rushes. Was impressive to watch the level of team play in that match. We ended up winning but by the slimmest of margins. Well done. I dread the day we manage to get a planet on your border and have to fight you all the time rather than the few times you get bored and start defending steiner planets. 07 Marik.

#10 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostDonas, on 23 December 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

I've dropped on every front available to me, in groups and solo in PuGs, and I just want to let you guys know that the fights and matches on the Marik border are the toughest, most organized, most hotly contested (both in game and in forum RP) and enjoyable fights in the game.

I've been in drops where we won big, got rolled like rookies, and more close matches than I can keep track of in both directions.

A couple days back I was in a PUG drop defending some planet against the clans, and a Seraphim pilot I were able to herd the cats, quickly come up with a 4 drop plan, and coordinate an Inner Sphere victory on Counter-Attacking a Clan Insurgent position.

All of the ribs, jibes, playground trashtalk, and forum photoshop a-bombing aside, NO other faction in the game has more respect on the field of battle in my mind.

You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work, and happy holidays.

Hear, hear!

Every time I hear someone talking about how hard they have it in CW drops, I watch streams from their faction and I think "Seriously? THIS is what passes for competition on those borders?"

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the constant fighting between Marik and Davion has turned Marik's pilots into - hands down - the toughest sons of ******* to ever stomp across the battlefield!

#11 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 23 December 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

I asked Russ on Twitter if he had a chance, to find out how many mechs were destroyed on Wazan over the last week.

(K)(M)(T) = x

Where K = Kills per match (average)
M = Matches per day (average)
T = Time (in days)
and x = number of mechs destroyed

Conservative estimate of K=36, M=75. 8 Total days of fighting on Wazan.

21,600 'Mechs destroyed there by my estimate.

#12 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

(K)(M)(T) = x

Where K = Kills per match (average)
M = Matches per day (average)
T = Time (in days)
and x = number of mechs destroyed

Conservative estimate of K=36, M=75. 8 Total days of fighting on Wazan.

I did kind of the same thumbnail cocktail-napkin math and our figures aren't too far off, and I was just doing it for primetime

K= 60
M= 160
T= 8

5,760 Destroyed during 4 hour increments over 8 days.

#13 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

#14 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 23 December 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yeah seen that and jumped on it as well. Great idea

#15 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostPodex, on 24 December 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Spoiler

I'm not sure why Knight Rider, but sure!

*moves mouse to the "Like This" button*

#16 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 24 December 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

I'm not sure why Knight Rider, but sure!

*moves mouse to the "Like This" button*

Because I'm old and he is awesome. :D

#17 PhoenixNMGLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

I just want to weigh in and agree here. I have played against a lot of Davion groups over the last week and every one of them was a tough fight. Win to loss ratio of about 1:1 as it should be.

More importantly despite the trash talk from a few individuals on the forums (on both sides) there is a lot of mutual respect. I remember one of the Davion players chewing out a fellow unit member for trolling in game.

TLDR: Davion units are a respected enemy and I reckon if we both turned our attentions to the clans we would pretty much stop this 'invasion' cold.

#18 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Much agreed, Phoenix. Hearty fighters, every one of 'em.

#19 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm going to weigh in as well. Rather happy to see respectable Davion pilots saluting Marik pilots, and I offer my own salute to you guys as well in return.

I'm an average pilot at best, and I have to admit that fighting along the Davion border has been testing my skills (and patience :ph34r: ) a lot lately. Almost every single match has been a hard fought endeavor where our unit has won a few and lost as many.

The only gripe I have is that Davion uses their higher population to zerg a planet and win it with free wins. Although I can blame you guys for exploiting this feature of the game, I can't blame you for the strategy which is within the confines of this CW Beta. I guess this is just one of those scenarios PGI never thought of, and it does take a collective community to come up with sound strategies like this.

But this is Beta, and there are a LOT of bugs and features that need to be further addressed, and in the end, we're all beta testers right now.

I simply do not wish for my single gripe towards respectable Davion pilots be the only thing you focus on. You guys on that side of the line fight tough and hard and, to be honest, I believe a lot of the "elite" groups (they know who they are), could learn a thing or three about fighting CW battles within the spirit of the game as opposed to "meta cheesing" the crap out of the game. But hey, these units have no respect for themselves, so why should they respect others, right?

TL;DR: I respect and salute Davion pilots who bring good, tough battles in the spirit of the way the game is meant to be played. We Mariks have been able to get some wins just as much as you guys, and that's what has breathed new life into this game.

o7

Edited by Caine2112, 24 December 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#20 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

The only gripe I have is that Davion uses their higher population to zerg a planet and win it with free wins. Although I can blame you guys for exploiting this feature of the game, I can't blame you for the strategy which is within the confines of this CW Beta.

And then there's this douche, ******** up the thread.

For the last time:
DAVION IS NOT FARMING AUTO-WINS!

Zerging the queue for auto-wins isn't even POSSIBLE. You know that 36 defenders locks up a planet, right? Because a match takes 30 minutes, matchmaker searches for 11 minutes for defenders, and IT WILL ONLY SEARCH FOR ONE MATCH AT A TIME.

This means that when there are 36 defenders and 72 attackers, there are 36 attackers in a match, 12 attackers locked into a game and searching for enemies, and 24 attackers watching the counter tick UP while they stare at a lobby full of "PILOT RECEIVING ORDERS."

Davion doesn't get auto-wins. Our queue times are HORRIBLE. We wait our turn to play REAL MATCHES, and that's what we get!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users