12 replies to this topic

#1 Sergey Zhukov

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

Sorry if I'm missing an infodump thread on this somewhere, but I've gotten to the "middling" stage of skill in MWO where I'm savvy enough to not make completely stupid decisions all the time, but I don't have all of the skill or 'Mechs that I need to really make an impact in regular solo-queue pub matches. In fact, it's become rather frustrating to me, since most players don't seem to pay attention at all. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking no more than 50m behind my lance in formation and a super-fast 'Mech like a Pirate's Bane Raven will come up behind me and harass me to death after I've been damaged in another firefight, evading all of my attacks, and none of my lancemates turn to help even though I've got the damn thing targeted. I end up helpless because I'm in a heavy 'Mech that can't land enough good shots, due to the slow torso twist and turn speed.

Another example from today -- I played an Assault match in Viridian Bog where we advanced along the eastern side of the map, and the enemy team advanced along the western side, passed by us, and then hit us in the side. We lost five 'Mechs, and they still had eleven, but they had made a rather severe mistake because their entire team was now to our side or back, leaving their base undefended. I frantically said in team chat, "let's cap, the path is clear to their base." If we could funnel them into attacking us while we held the cap point, maybe we could stand a chance. It would be a gamble, but it's not like you have a lot of options when the enemy team outnumbers you two to one. Hopefully, their bloodthirstiness would get the better of them. Instead, the entire team followed one guy who decided to turn and fight on the enemy team behind us like lemmings. The lack of tactical acumen and situational awareness is getting really frustrating -- which I am also not surprised by, since I've read before that pubs can be frustrating. It's even worse for me because I tend to learn things quickly.

TL;DR: Could someone suggest any decent units willing to pick up a learning, but not completely inexperienced player? I don't know anything about the community in MWO; I played some when the game had only recently come into closed beta, but the lack of content at that time turned me off, and I've only recently gotten back into it. I'm willing to play only Community Warfare if that's what it takes -- in that case, my preferred allegiance is House Steiner, if anyone can suggest any Steiner units willing to take in intermediate pilots (my completely arbitrary and pointless contract with Marik will end shortly).

Edited by Sergey Zhukov, 26 December 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#2 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Well, since you're already wearing the FWLM faction tag, might I suggest http://www.house-marik.com.

We have a large population of various types of units housed there, and the option to not be part of a unit at all and just fight for Marik (which is actually the largest "unit").

We accommodate all skill levels and aid in "upping your game" if you so desire.

Nevermind, saw your last sentence.

#3 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

If you have it out for Marik blood, might I suggest... continuing your contract with House Marik.

They're overdue for a civil war.

#4 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 26 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

If you have it out for Marik blood, might I suggest... continuing your contract with House Marik.

What you did there...

I see it.

#5 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Another thing to think about is how much role play do you wish to be involved in?

CW lets people ham up their lore/acting skills.

What you want to do is visit the TS addresses and talk to people. See who you like. Look for established units recruiting in the forums. Some may have tests or requirements in order to join. Others just might be a group of friends. Up to you to decide.

Decide where on the spectrum between (fun---competitive) you want to stay. Also (dedicated-----casual).

FRR has been pretty cool so far, no drama, some RP but not too much. Too busy fighting for that crap.
Ghost Bears seem cool.
Kurita like to RP quite a bit, as do Davion, Steiner, Marik. Davion seems to have their *hit together. Steiner made a deal with Clan Wolf...which, lore-wise, pissed many people off. Politically, its a decent move though may cost them later.
Havent seen any Liao on the field, really.
Clan Wolf likes to talk smack, which is fun, but i know they are just jealous of what CGB has done. ;)
CJF and CSJ i havent really seen much of.

#6 Sergey Zhukov

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 26 December 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

Another thing to think about is how much role play do you wish to be involved in?

CW lets people ham up their lore/acting skills.

What you want to do is visit the TS addresses and talk to people. See who you like. Look for established units recruiting in the forums. Some may have tests or requirements in order to join. Others just might be a group of friends. Up to you to decide.

Decide where on the spectrum between (fun---competitive) you want to stay. Also (dedicated-----casual).

I was hoping for some suggestions -- a place to start. That said, obviously you've offered me some. I'm okay with some role-play having played quite a few tabletop games and P&P RPGs myself, but I don't really want to have to address people by rank every waking second while I'm on Teamspeak. I've done it before, and that just feels forced. I guess my rule of thumb would be keep the role-play off of Teamspeak, since I prefer to be able to speak however I want when I'm actually in the game.

Is anyone here familiar with the NetBattleTech mod for MechWarrior 4? That was the closest thing I saw to a more BattleTech-accurate MechWarrior game before MWO came out. There's also a league for it, which I played in briefly, under Clan Smoke Jaguar. It was kind of like our current Community Warfare, except we basically drew up all the galactic strategy maps in the forums, and we had to coordinate matches to fight over planets ourselves. The atmosphere in that league (CSJ in particular) is pretty much ideal for me. Pre-mission planning and 'Mech coordination, but no unnecessary flowery language in the Teamspeak chat. So I guess you could say I'm looking for a somewhat dedicated unit that keeps the role-play outside of 'Mech combat. I don't really want a unit that sees winning as the most important thing in the game, but I do want a unit that tries to win. Let me know if you have any other suggestions that stand out in your mind, and I'll start looking at the recruiting board.

View PostStillRadioactive, on 26 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Heh, I don't have it out for House Marik. I choose Steiner because of my personal heritage.

Edited by Sergey Zhukov, 26 December 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#7 Moku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

The 10th Solaris Rangers is always open to new and casual players. We also are recruiting veteran players for community warfare and league activities.

Visit us at http://10SR.enjin.com and join us on our Teamspeak Server between 8-11pm EST.
steiner.teamspeak3.org PW: 1kill

Moku 10SR

#8 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostMoku, on 26 December 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

The 10th Solaris Rangers is always open to new and casual players. We also are recruiting veteran players for community warfare and league activities.

Visit us at http://10SR.enjin.com and join us on our Teamspeak Server between 8-11pm EST.

Moku 10SR

I'll second this. Come give us a try. o7

#9 Sergey Zhukov

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostMoku, on 26 December 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Moku 10SR

Funny enough, I checked out the Steiner units and yours was the one that interested me the most, so I put in an application already. I looked at the Skye Rangers Brigade, but the strictly-structured ranking system just absolutely screamed unnecessary intra-unit conflict; you know, there's always going to be some jackass that takes his fake military rank way too seriously and pisses someone off. And I'm a Libertarian, so having orders barked at me all day just instinctively pisses me off no matter how you slice it.

#10 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

If you're a libertarian, go pirate. All the great houses are authoritarian garbage only suitable for raiding and using as a base of operations.

We'll(The Brethren) take anyone who has a good attitude and doesn't ruin everyone's day by complaining a lot on coms.

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Definitely check out The Brethren. They have four Raid Groups; three based on time zones and one for competitive players. They offer training for new-ish pilots along with a good dose of fun and camaraderie without any drama. The focus is on keeping it fun and casual without making the game into a second career.

Site: http://brethrenmwo.enjin.com/

TS info: brethrenmwo.enjinvoice.com

Recruitment Poster:

Posted Image

#12 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

Stop by ts.nstalkers.com and check us out.

#13 $imon Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 272 posts
  • LocationYour sisters house eating her cookie & drinking her milk

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:59 AM

Sergey, I know you said you were looking for a IS unit....but if you still have not found a new home, how about being a part of clan smoke jaguar. the clan I am in just started up 4 days before X-mass, we are only at 10 members currently, but seem to be getting about 1 new player every 2-3 days.

If you are interested
web site: http://267th-battlec....enjin.com/home
TeamSpeak3 server: STRANAMECHTY.INFO
PW: StranaMechty (pw is case sensitive)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users