Pgi, Please Do An Animation Pass On Recent Mechs.

BattleMechs

108 replies to this topic

#21 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

I really hope we get a PGI response in here
100 ton mechs shouldn't prance

#22 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 28 December 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

I really hope we get a PGI response in here
100 ton mechs shouldn't prance

better luck tweeting them.

#23 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 28 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

better luck tweeting them.

Not even that works for me.

https://twitter.com/...863449024172032
https://twitter.com/...200189511471105

#24 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 December 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Spoiler

Lostech inverse kinematics. Cryengine is obviously incompatible with this ancient, barely understood feature from 1995, despite MWO having it at one point.

It seems that PGI didn't completely remove the IK system. When you kill a mech it is released from the server pre-animated key frames and becomes a ragdoll with correct IK chains (it seems this way at least).

If this is true, I think players should experience a slight stuttering or a mini freeze upon the death of a mech in their view. As the CPU will be under a load spike in order to simulate the IK system in real time.
Maybe that is why PGI disabled it. To reduce the CPU load so that it could be more toaster friendly.

Edited by Navid A1, 28 December 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#25 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 December 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

It seems that PGI didn't completely remove the IK system. When you kill a mech it is released from the server pre-animated key frames and becomes a ragdoll with correct IK chains (it seems this way at least).

If this is true, I think players should experience a slight stuttering or a mini freeze upon the death of a mech in their view. As the CPU will be under a load spike in order to simulate the IK system in real time.
Maybe that is why PGI disabled it. To reduce the CPU load so that it could be more toaster friendly.

>cryengine.
>toaster friendly for bronze age dual cores.

Pick one.

PGI decided they wanted both, and this is where we're at 3 days away from 2015. Do people even use dual cores these days?

#26 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 December 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

>cryengine.

Pick one.

PGI decided they wanted both, and this is where we're at 3 days away from 2015. Do people even use dual cores these days?

My poor laptop :(

#27 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 December 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

>cryengine.

Pick one.

Up until this august, I played MWO on a 2009 laptop with dual core core2duo with ati mobility 4650 1gb (overclocked). I was getting around 25-30 fps on medium 720p. there was stutter here and there, but it was not bad.
Funny thing is that when the IK system was there back in closed beta my fps was 30+ with the same settings.!!!
I guess PGI has a different idea about low-end systems.

At the very least....PGI could key-frame a much better animation. I mean, fine, if the animation is going to be pre-recorded and keyframed... at least key-frame a decent one.

But here's hoping that the IK system returns with the re-introduction of collisions... or at least reworked animations.

Edited by Navid A1, 28 December 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#28 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 28 December 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

Also fix the King Crab, it looks like it has a dislocated hip.

The King Crab has a butt full of dynamite and a booty like pow?

#29 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostSarlic, on 28 December 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Why?
Posted Image

The Valkyrie!
Want.

#30 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 28 December 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

The King Crab has a butt full of dynamite and a booty like pow?

lol...
somehow i doubt that the animators for this and the atlas or catapult are the same.

#31 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

View PostSarlic, on 28 December 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Why?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:41 AM

Oh please. This would make my day. All I want is decent walking animations on my favourite mechs (Timber, Mad dog & Dire) and anything that shares their leg moulds. The DWF looks like its about to fall over, and the timber wolf looks like its dragging its feet because it doesnt take a high or long enough stride.

#33 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

Is this how the warhawk/direwolf supposed to move?... This happily?

#34 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

bumping this thread because I just want a response.
I don't need an instant fix
but I'd just like to know if we'd get this in 2015 or not
I wouldn't mind if PGI took their time with this the way they did with quirks
I hope it's in the pipeline like collisions and stuff are

#35 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 December 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

They turned off the CE3 foot IKs from live entities when they were working on HSR and they said something to the effect of performance issues basically. everyone and the server had to track all the IK of all the mechs and the terrain all the time or you couldn't shoot a leg that was IKing like that hunchback. Or something like that. I swear if we had player owned servers it could just be turned on.
Once the mech is dead it does ragdoll and you can see the bone contraints in effect, but doesn't matter at that point to hitreg it's not a drain .

#36 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

I also noticed these issues, especially the adder/kitfox toes, other mechs have animations for these things.

Also, can't this game handle dynamic animations that react to terrain? Like in fallout for example when your chars legs move depending on what you are standing on. That would be very, very cool...

Dragon Age Inq does this too and it looks really good (despite the fact the game is trash ;p ).

#37 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostAxeface, on 06 January 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

I also noticed these issues, especially the adder/kitfox toes, other mechs have animations for these things.

Also, can't this game handle dynamic animations that react to terrain? Like in fallout for example when your chars legs move depending on what you are standing on. That would be very, very cool...

Dragon Age Inq does this too and it looks really good (despite the fact the game is trash ;p ).

The game had this before.

As they wanted to implement 12v12, they removed it. They said its going to be an extra load both on cpu and data transfer, Because the position of hitboxes in this game matters on every individual body part and server and client should stay perfectly synchronized at all times, as a slight lag can result in different leg states in server and client.

I wonder now that they moved hitreg and everything to server side. can't they implement the IK system back again?

Edited by Navid A1, 28 January 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#38 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

Up this thread!

#39 - S T R I F E -

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 06 January 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

IK system or not, when i look at direwolf/warhawk/stalker/summoner arm/stormcrow/kitfox toes/king crab butt/... i know PGI needs new animators.

The two weakest parts of the art team have always been the mapper(s) and the animator(s). The modelers have generally done a FANTASTIC job of bringing Alex's work to life, with a few notable exceptions with scaling issues and...*sniff*...let's not talk about the Catapult launchers just right now, agreed?

The King Crab is probably the most hilarious travesty of motion I've ever seen in my entire gaming career. It's readily apparent that the animator(s) working for PGI are really doing their best to muck through how they imagine giant war robots would move, without actually understanding any of the physical properties and phenomena that would govern their motion.

What's really disappointing though is that MW3, a game created in 1999, SIXTEEN years ago, generally had more fluid and believable mech animations than MWO has today, in 2015. This is almost unbelievable to me, since PGI is essentially right in the middle of video game animator Mecca.

You'd think that when people are paying, literally, 500 FRAKING DOLLARS for a $*@#$^ digital skin, they'd take the time to animate it properly...

I hate to be a negative nancy, but a spade is a spade.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:56 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 December 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

ahh.... the good times.
i think i read somewhere that PGI disabled that feature to reduce data transfer and/or server load so they could implement 12v12... I dont exactly remember what was the case.

I cant stop thinking about how awesome it would be if we could have IK system back.

another god reason for a return to 8v8......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users