Restricting Clans To 3 Mechs Or By Tonage?

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Restricting Clans to 3 mechs or tonage. (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Restrict Clan Dropdeck to 3 or by tonage?

1. Dropdeck (16 votes [16.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

2. Tonage (19 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Ok the way it is (60 votes [63.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

CW has become a Clan roll for the most part. I was wondering if limiting the clans to 3 mechs per drop or lowering the drop weight would be a better choice to help with balancing CW.

Added third option.

Part of the reason for asking is Clans would normally drop as 5 mech stars which would be, I assume, 40 total mechs per match, to the 48 of IS. Being that PGI has stated they won't do a 10 vs 12, this is what I thought would work as a option.

I prefer Clan tech to IS. My affiliation is to my Merc unit, so I am stuck using IS for now. And yes tactics help but Clan tech is still Superior.

Edited by Drake67, 10 January 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#2 UberStuka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 277 posts
  • LocationBRANDON, MISSISSIPPI

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

I vote neither. IS can roll clans. Id suggest using a coordinated team if you are looking for balance.

The perks of running IS:

1) Mech options. Clans are very limited in what they can bring to a fight.

2) IS lights OWN clan mechs

#3 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

i think you need to Add a third option, (Ok as it currently is)
as some people, like my self, may not think theirs a problem,

#4 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Voting should never be public. I understand that people will game the system, but a simple choice allows for to much name calling and interpretation.

On subject, to many variables other than just all clan vs all IS. I think the development and players would all be knee deep with this change

#5 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

3 mechs, 300 ton limit.

GG I accept.

#6 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

Almost every CA match that hasn't been a complete roll the clans only use about 3/4 of their mechs. Thinking dropping one mech would also mandate tonnage loss as well. I would not like to see 36 80T mechs.

#7 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

I won't vote in a biased poll, there is no option for IS to get limited, what with their OP quirks and such...

I guess you haven't had the wonderful experience of being on an IS team that actually coordinates and plays well, or this lame poll would never have come up

#8 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Glad that you have put in the option "Don't change anything" in your biased vote.

#9 Dragon Fetladral

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

You are confusing teamwork being OP for clantech.

Play up the advantages of our IS mechs (knife fighter lights, quirks, PPD ACs) and you can do fine.

#10 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

If you're repeatedly getting rolled by Clans you're doing it wrong.

Tip: Take everything you've learned about how to get kills and make cbills over the past 2 years of pugging and completely forget it. CW drops require teamwork. Listen to whomever has taken over as the drop commander and realize that even a play you might not agree with will work quite well if implemented well.

#11 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

CMetz. Well spoken. Even in Clan pugg Groups you get rolled very hard. So open a Voting to prevent IS to take more than one light into their dropdeck?
I think in 12 premade vs 12 premade it is well balanced at the moment. Pugg vs Pugg always supports the Defender on the Ice map and the attacker on sulphur.

#12 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

I vote neither also.

I'm IS. I don't see any problems beating Clans either on attacking or defending when your group is working together effectively.

#13 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

Hi there,

What I've seen in this post really looks like the classical "OMG OP CLAN" debate, with IS crying clans are OP and others putting everything on skill and teamplay.

My personal take is that we are not going anywhere without any REAL data about win / lose ballance for Clan vs IS matches.

My personal opinion is that I totally agree with most that was said before: in CW, the best team with the most teamplay will always win. Nevertheless, I think that arguably Madcat is still the best heavy mech in the game, and Stormcrow is still the best medium mech in the game. Are there many people to think that at same skill levels, a player driving an IS medium mech will consistently beat an other one driving a Stormcrow ?
Therefore, I think that clanners get overall more effectiveness from the same amount of tons. For instance, being able to bring 3 stormcrows and 1 timby in CW seems overly good to me.

I've seen above someone telling that clans are hurt because they have less effective lights than IS, which is true. I however think this is quiete offset by the fact that Stormcrow is such a potent light mechs hunter.

I've also seen that clan would be hurt by the fact they have less mech choice than IS, which is also true, but offset by the fact clans are omnimech. Timby can brawl, snipe, boat LRMS... All very effectively.

To come back on the main point, I'd say again that we can't do anything without knowing the real numbers: do clans really win most of the time against IS in CW ? If so decreasing the available tonnage of clan dropdecks would be a really simple solution imho.

Edited by SuperPignouf, 31 December 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#14 Ogunn

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationHollywood, FL

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostDrake67, on 29 December 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

CW has become a Clan roll for the most part. I was wondering if limiting the clans to 3 mechs per drop or lowering the drop weight would be a better choice to help with balancing CW.

Soooooo, Can I assume you have never been on a team that brought all 3 PPC Thunderbolts? How about the teams that do the light Zerg rush? I have played against and lost on many occasion to both. The Timberwolf OP really? Has anyone noticed if you destroy an ear the whole torso and arm go with it? That is half of the TBs weapons! But wait. I know what you are going to say. What about the laser boat build. Well guess what? Two Large Pulse lasers and 4 mediums generate a whole lot of heat. You can barely get off two alphas or cycle your weapons more than twice before having to shut down. How exactly is that OP? As for the Stormcrow the laser build is only as good as the pilot that has mastered being able to balance shooting with torso twisting. The front torsos are actually really easy to pop, if the pilot is not torso twisting that is. That build also runs on the hot side. I think what you have been running into are organized groups of higher tier players. For instance most clans will not let anyone simply join the unit. Applicants must pass multiple trials before they awared the title of mechwarrior and allowed to drop in CW with unit tags. There are constant training drops stressing organization, teamwork and spreading damage. If you want to talk to units that have done well against the Clans talk to the 228th, ACES, and HHOD. These are IS units that have ropelstopped Clan units in CW.

#15 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

There's no option to remake CW. Biased poll.

The whole invasion gamemode should just be remade from scratch. There will always be thunderppcs, stormcrow rushes, same dropdecks, light zerg rushes.

The gamemode itself needs to change.

#16 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

Sorry but a) add a neither option to the poll and B) ive won plenty of cw games vs clans. Its really not that hard if you have smart players who dont try and slug at 500m. Light zerg rushes are not even possible with the clans. There smaller mechs are less effective so a well balanced IS drop deck is easier to achieve.

#17 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

Sorry, but clans feel quite underpowered atm.

I mean compaire the thunderbolt 9S with the Warhawk...

Warhawk prime (stock) = 5 seconds till over heat.
Warhawk prime (LRM 10 removed, more C DHS) = 6 seconds till over heat.
Warhawk prime (LRM 10, targeting computer removed, more C DHS) = 9 seconds till over heat.
Warhawk prime (only 3 er ppc's, rest DHS, 3.3-ish tons left spare, useless) = 15 seconds till over heat. (now less DPS as well)
Thunderbolt 9S = 20 seconds till over heat (3 er ppc).

If you are going to play "oh you just do not want 1 single IS mech beating you in a range fight" then sure... 65 IS mech out does a 65 ton clanner.

BUT 1 65 ton IS mech out doing 2 85 ton assault clan mechs that actually have er ppc's boated unlike the stock 9S?

Do not pretend your duel gauss jager and king crab do not do no damage. or your LRM's boats, or the awesomes or the lights with ER large laser or ER PPC quirks.

It's not like there are already other IS mechs that out do clans in ranged warfare... but the Thunderbolt 9S is a special case, it out does every mech possible in game and it out does 2 clan assaults at the same time...

We can't drop 3x the Warhawks and direwolfs to out do the 12 man teams of thunderbolt 9S's.
We do not have enough team mates to do a 36 verse 12 match

This is just an extreme case if the enemy team is one of those 12 man thudnerbolt teams but my point stands...

I personally think Clan mechs rather need 1 of the following.

A) Remove all nerfs to clan weapons. (energy heat nerf, LRM min range nerf, Streak reload time nerf, etc) (things like scatter shots for UAC's and AC's could stay)

B ) Add quirks in depth like the IS mechs for clans...

C) If clans make less damage and c-bills in a 30 minute game with 4 mechs then a 15 minute game with 1 mech. Then could you at least double the c-bill awards (more or less) in CW so the IS have something to shoot at? because I see to many threads complaining about all clanners withdrawing from CW....

Edited by Nightshade24, 10 January 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#18 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

I have been beaten by IS tech while piloting good Clan Omnis. I see no problem.

#19 JadeTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Clans are limited enough as it is especially for newer players who will be stuck using Trial Mechs until they are able to build up enough Cbills for a Mech, if anything I would vote for increasing the tonnage of the Drop Deck for both Clan and IS to 250 or 300 to allow for more varied Drop Decks.

Now if you are wanting to have this be more Lore-like we can change the way drops happen, have an IS Mech Company face off against a Clan Trinity, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen but in the spirit of fairness it wont.

#20 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Increasing tonnage would be appreciated. It would be nice to field a WHK-B, any Dire Wolf, and a pair of Storm Crows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users