Ghost Drop Campaigns And Their Counter.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

Ghost drop campaigns are a very serious threat to planets that we own, A well organized Ghost Drop Campaign (GDC) can take a planet from 0 to over 8 in under 90 minutes.

First I will describe how a GDC is carried out.

12 man premades, hereafter referred to as companies, gather in TS on voice comms is preferred. The enemy faction should be heavily involved in fights on other fronts when it starts.

One company gets in queue, it will very often get a ghost drop, this first drop gets things ready but does not kill omega at this point, as soon as first Co. drops, a 2nd Co. queues.

It gets a ghost drop as well more often than note, as soon as it gets a ghost drop another Co. queues up, at this point a few defenders have seen this planets queue shoot up, maybe a 12 man responds.

If a live drop does occur the next Attacking CO quickly queues, the first two ghost dropping units wait till the timer has almost expired on the first drop then all ghost dropping teams kill omega, leave game and leave planet queue.

Suddenly 2 or 3 segments turn red, the first notice many have that there is a threat going on.

The attackers often gain 4 attack missions in their first 4 drops.

Defenders might start to queue up, but when they look they see 12/12 , the attacking co.s do not enter queue until they have to. But if timed right the Attacking forces can more often force an attack on a new segment rather than a hold from counter attack.

This is done right before ceasefire, 4 to 6 ghost drop wins are almost certain if defenders simply respond to attacks by jumping into queue, and then just 2 to 3 real combat wins out of 6 or more real fights are needed, a 50/50 win loss is all that needs.

The response.

A 12 man must drop in defense asap. HOWEVER! and this is crucial, the second defending Co must NOT enter planet queue until the first team has been matched for 9 minutes.
At that point the second Defending Co enters queue and prevents ghost drop, live match occurs.
The Third defending Co also does not enter queue until 9 minutes have passed since 2nd Co was matched up.

In this way 3 Co's of defenders can hope to prevent ghost drops from an Attacking force of 4 or more Co's.

IF defenders are able to bring more Co's into this fight, it is often better for them to instead counterattack that factions planet instead of entering our planets defense queue.

Ghost Drop campaigns are usually carried out on IS/IS or Clan/Clan border fights, so that only a single faction is allowed to defend, IS/Clan fights the GDC is not as viable. GDC also requires good teamwork and timing among the CO's participating, as does the counter to GDC.

Yes Virgina, Ghost drops do swing worlds in the crucial hours before Cease fire and work best in prime time.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Since when (who?) is anybody even doing this? Sounds like a tinfoil hat conspiracy to me. Now go win some matches.

#3 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostTarogato, on 03 January 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Since when (who?) is anybody even doing this? Sounds like a tinfoil hat conspiracy to me. Now go win some matches.

roflmao, it happened last night to us at orestes courtesy of CI, it has been happening to Kurita and liao since the first week courtesy of -MS- and Davion.

I just explained exactly how it is done and the counter to it, but you just keep your head well buried in that sand and refuse to learn or adapt and just make snide and petty comments instead.

#4 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

No, I'm just wondering why anybody would go through the effort of coordinating all of that when just spamming as many people on the same planet as possible in a short period of time willy nilly without all the organisation is just as effective. (and if it's not, feel free to explain why)

Edited by Tarogato, 03 January 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#5 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostAbivard, on 03 January 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

roflmao, it happened last night to us at orestes courtesy of CI, it has been happening to Kurita and liao since the first week courtesy of -MS- and Davion.

I just explained exactly how it is done and the counter to it, but you just keep your head well buried in that sand and refuse to learn or adapt and just make snide and petty comments instead.

My unit was in on this defense. The first match we got the CI and actually beat them. But as always the percentage we control went down. The second match Srot apparently got tired of being bird food and beat the pugs I was with. My unit has been going around looking for the right faction, but if this keeps happening to the Republic we'll probably stick around. Loosing planets because you can't defend them is wrong.

#6 Mr G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

-MS- does not carry out ghost drop campaigns. When we drop we want to see defenders ready to fight us. Now will we attack a world on say the Steiner front to pull some of your units off the Ghost Bear front? Sure, that's just basic strategy."Besieging Wei to relieve Zhao" as it were. But we don't try and steal planets from turrets. there is no fun or challenge in that. Just like everyone else what we want is a good hard fight.

#7 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Starts smelling like LegoPirate in here :P .
Whatever, please ignore the Steiner border tonight. Let them have their ghost drops. We'll wrestle Hermagor out of Ghost Bear claws tonight and break the siege of Rasalhague. Then we'll proceed to cut the Ghost Bear invasion corridor in two. Ghost Bears have made themselves too many enemies, even within their clan ranks. They are not used to opposition like this.

#8 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

AREA MAN ANGRY AT WHAT HE IMAGINES REALITY TO BE

... more at 11.

Edited by StillRadioactive, 03 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#9 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 03 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

AREA MAN ANGRY AT WHAT HE IMAGINES REALITY TO BE

... more at 11.

OOOH, your writing an autobiography.Won't bother to read it, to much fantasy and revisionism I am sure.

Edited by Abivard, 03 January 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#10 Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostAbivard, on 03 January 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Ghost drop campaigns are a very serious threat to planets that we own, A well organized Ghost Drop Campaign (GDC) can take a planet from 0 to over 8 in under 90 minutes.

First I will describe how a GDC is carried out.

12 man premades, hereafter referred to as companies, gather in TS on voice comms is preferred. The enemy faction should be heavily involved in fights on other fronts when it starts.

One company gets in queue, it will very often get a ghost drop, this first drop gets things ready but does not kill omega at this point, as soon as first Co. drops, a 2nd Co. queues.

It gets a ghost drop as well more often than note, as soon as it gets a ghost drop another Co. queues up, at this point a few defenders have seen this planets queue shoot up, maybe a 12 man responds.

If a live drop does occur the next Attacking CO quickly queues, the first two ghost dropping units wait till the timer has almost expired on the first drop then all ghost dropping teams kill omega, leave game and leave planet queue.

Suddenly 2 or 3 segments turn red, the first notice many have that there is a threat going on.

The attackers often gain 4 attack missions in their first 4 drops.

Defenders might start to queue up, but when they look they see 12/12 , the attacking co.s do not enter queue until they have to. But if timed right the Attacking forces can more often force an attack on a new segment rather than a hold from counter attack.

This is done right before ceasefire, 4 to 6 ghost drop wins are almost certain if defenders simply respond to attacks by jumping into queue, and then just 2 to 3 real combat wins out of 6 or more real fights are needed, a 50/50 win loss is all that needs.

The response.

A 12 man must drop in defense asap. HOWEVER! and this is crucial, the second defending Co must NOT enter planet queue until the first team has been matched for 9 minutes.
At that point the second Defending Co enters queue and prevents ghost drop, live match occurs.
The Third defending Co also does not enter queue until 9 minutes have passed since 2nd Co was matched up.

In this way 3 Co's of defenders can hope to prevent ghost drops from an Attacking force of 4 or more Co's.

IF defenders are able to bring more Co's into this fight, it is often better for them to instead counterattack that factions planet instead of entering our planets defense queue.

Ghost Drop campaigns are usually carried out on IS/IS or Clan/Clan border fights, so that only a single faction is allowed to defend, IS/Clan fights the GDC is not as viable. GDC also requires good teamwork and timing among the CO's participating, as does the counter to GDC.

Yes Virgina, Ghost drops do swing worlds in the crucial hours before Cease fire and work best in prime time.

Just need to make visible those sectors where there is a struggle, the battle goes, it does not matter a ghost or a living drops, and to show how much attacking all involved (in the queue and in the battle).

#11 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

I've read OP's post like four or five times now and I literally cannot decipher what advantage he imagines people are trying to get by not killing Omega ASAP.

He does know that the numbers shown by the planet are the total of people on the planet, not just in the queue, right?

#12 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

Never mind that every single ghost drop I have participated in has been a race to kill Omega quickly so that we can go find a real fight elsewhere.

#13 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostAbivard, on 03 January 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostTarogato, on 03 January 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

No, I'm just wondering why anybody would go through the effort of coordinating all of that when just spamming as many people on the same planet as possible in a short period of time willy nilly without all the organisation is just as effective. (and if it's not, feel free to explain why)
You seem awfully quiet after my counter-example. =P

#14 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 January 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

You seem awfully quiet after my counter-example. =P

Try reading my post.
Then use your mind to think, instead of asking me to do your thinking for you as well as lead you by the hand down the rosy lane.

Edited by Abivard, 19 January 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

Okay, I did reread everything you posted so far.

This simple matter is - he who has more 12-mans wins.

Doing all this fancy stuff with waiting to destroy omega and queuing at the last second is really unnecessary because the defenders see NUMBERS in the queue, which is the sole indicator of a planet's current situation. It doesn't matter if three red pips show up all at one time or if they trickle in one at a time, the defenders can still see that attackers are in queue and about to get a ghost drop (or two). Waiting around is just a waste of time. What if those attackers, instead of waiting to destroy omega, just finished the match as soon as possible and queued back up? They immediately have another 12-man in the queue which the defenders have to contend with, and sooner, too, before enough defenders have likely showed up.

#16 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostTarogato, on 19 January 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Okay, I did reread everything you posted so far.

This simple matter is - he who has more 12-mans wins.

Doing all this fancy stuff with waiting to destroy omega and queuing at the last second is really unnecessary because the defenders see NUMBERS in the queue, which is the sole indicator of a planet's current situation. It doesn't matter if three red pips show up all at one time or if they trickle in one at a time, the defenders can still see that attackers are in queue and about to get a ghost drop (or two). Waiting around is just a waste of time. What if those attackers, instead of waiting to destroy omega, just finished the match as soon as possible and queued back up? They immediately have another 12-man in the queue which the defenders have to contend with, and sooner, too, before enough defenders have likely showed up.

That is just the point, defenders CAN NOT SEE the player queue unless they are just sitting and watching the map, solos , pugs, disorganized units, they may sit around and stare at the queues, but most want to use the time they have to fight, not to wait about in case of a sudden massive ghost-drop they will need to defend on.

Most organized Units/factions use 3rd party apps to monitor CW, the one thing none of these apps do is show the players in queue. So the first warning of ghost drops an active command has is when planet segments change, when they see a change and see a single 12 man ghost-dropping, they ignore it and stay focused on the main battles.

When it hits 3 or more is when they start to divert forces, and that is when they should notice 36 attackers. If they see a planet segment change and look at 36+ people in queue a 12 man is sent asap to block any further GD's, this is also why a well timed delayed win on the attackers also comes into play.

The best bet is to have gotten all 3 teams into a GD before ANY segment changes. This guarantees 3 GD wins and 3 attackers queued to force more Attack missions.

Sure, you can be sloppy and just pile on as random mobs... you may even find enough people who will suddenly all on their own decide to drop en masse on a planet that hasn't any battles going on in the crucial 2 hours before ceasefire and hope for the best.

#17 circumvention

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

Want to prevent ghost drops? THEN DEFEND YOUR PLANETS.

Besides, scrub factions are all doing the same thing now: not defending until the last 15mins, actually counting on ghost drops because it takes way longer to flip planets than stomping bad teams and pugs consecutively.

Abivard lambastes ghost dropping publicly, then no doubt does nothing about privately, because ACTUALLY FIGHTING hastens the planet flipping (since FRR is bad). GGclose.

#18 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostAbivard, on 20 January 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

That is just the point, defenders CAN NOT SEE the player queue unless they are just sitting and watching the map...

Most organized Units/factions use 3rd party apps to monitor CW, the one thing none of these apps do is show the players in queue. ...

Thank you! That's the one part of your argument that puts this all together and now it all makes sense to me.

Though I doubt that most organised units do indeed use 3rd party software, there are definitely a number of individual people who do. I, myself, actually look at the in game map very frequently, so I'm almost always aware of the queue numbers when I'm online. I use them to determine as a solo pugger when is a good time for me to drop - other wise I'm in normal/pub-queue.

#19 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

View PostTarogato, on 20 January 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Thank you! That's the one part of your argument that puts this all together and now it all makes sense to me.

Though I doubt that most organised units do indeed use 3rd party software, there are definitely a number of individual people who do. I, myself, actually look at the in game map very frequently, so I'm almost always aware of the queue numbers when I'm online. I use them to determine as a solo pugger when is a good time for me to drop - other wise I'm in normal/pub-queue.

All organized units use third party apps for CW.... only UN-organized units fail to use 3rdparty CW apps.

#20 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

You're not missing out on anything if you don't use them... they're just a tiny little convenience factor. =P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users