15 replies to this topic

#1 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hey all,

Idle curiosity prompted me to check into recent activity by Bryan Ekman on the forum, and have seen zero activity since September (when Transverse-gate happened ;-) ).

If I recall correctly, Transverse was Bryan's baby; he was going to be lead on that project while Russ took a more hands-on role for MWO. Has Bryan disappeared from the PGI scene in the wake of the Transverse collapse?

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

He posted on Twitter just a week or two ago. Seems like he is still around. Probably trying to figure out what to do with all the work they've done so far on Transverse. It could be that they're shopping around for another dev or publisher who may want to purchase the work they've done, or could be retooling it to be a bit different. Mechwarrior aerotech related or something.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Would be nice, but I fear Aerotech Online is just wishful thinking.

They'd probably get a huge flocking from the MWO fans, though. o.O;

#4 Wald0

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Can't blame the guy for not showing up after what happened to Transverse. It must have been really embarrassing being called out for blatantly copying SC's ship designs, having ridiculous stretch goals for the most basic functions for any video game, and only getting like a hundred backers total. Those are just a few things, the list goes on and on with Transverse

That's ok though, perhaps video games isn't really Bryan's thing, maybe it was time for him to move on anyways. Not everyone is capable enough to design a game. Better off leaving it to the talented people in the industry I would say.

Edited by Wald0, 28 February 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

He's a co-founder of the game and a creative director, so he's not as replaceable as a former CM.

#6 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostWald0, on 28 February 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

It must have been really embarrassing being called out for blatantly copying SC's ship designs,

To tell the truth, they don't copied any ship designs. There are only details which might be similar, the same you can tell about a lot SC ships, which are inspired by existing stuff. Pretty standard for the industry.

#7 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 March 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

He's a co-founder of the game and a creative director, so he's not as replaceable as a former CM.

Given what business is like, I would not stake your life on this.

I'd like to see Traveller happen, maybe some of you remember the old Traveller role playing game. It has a huge platform to base a pc game on.

#8 Creag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 419 posts
  • Locationadelaide Australia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

I started playing Traveller back in 1982 I think. It was good playing that role playing the since you had to draw and think of different maps as well as planets.

Edited by Creag, 02 March 2015 - 12:19 AM.

#9 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 01 March 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

I'd like to see Traveller happen, maybe some of you remember the old Traveller role playing game. It has a huge platform to base a pc game on.

which traveller?

original or megatraveller or the GURPS variant or the terrible D20 variant?

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 01 March 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Well there was this...

I bought it back in the day when it came out. I never could get into it, however. But you must remember, this was during a time where great games like Ultima 6, 7 and Underworld existed among others Sci Fi masterpieces like Sentinel Worlds I.

#11 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostFire for Effect, on 02 September 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

which traveller?

The original. Though Megatraveller is quite close to the original, close enough to use, just expanded options.

#12 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Well there was this...

I do not recall ever hearing about that one. May or may not have been marketed in Australia. Thanks for the link, I'll have to watch it.

#13 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 02 September 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

The original. Though Megatraveller is quite close to the original, close enough to use, just expanded options.

well as long as they are revising the rediculous ship combat rules. firing each gun seperately on ships that can have literally hundreds on guns and sand cannister throwers ^^

I recommend full thrust as basis...

https://boardgamegee...893/full-thrust

#14 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostFire for Effect, on 03 September 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

well as long as they are revising the rediculous ship combat rules. firing each gun seperately on ships that can have literally hundreds on guns and sand cannister throwers ^^

I recommend full thrust as basis...

https://boardgamegee...893/full-thrust

Looks interesting. Though I will confess I do like the Traveller ship combat system. Especially the vector based movement.

We (the people I played it with) never got into the huge starships. I think the Kinure (cannot recall spelling and my books are 3000 km away) was the biggest ship we managed to use.

EDIT: Sandcasters actually make sense. Especially for countering missiles.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 03 September 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 03 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Looks interesting. Though I will confess I do like the Traveller ship combat system. Especially the vector based movement.

We (the people I played it with) never got into the huge starships. I think the Kinure (cannot recall spelling and my books are 3000 km away) was the biggest ship we managed to use.

EDIT: Sandcasters actually make sense. Especially for countering missiles.

oh they do but EACH is rolled seperately; an absolut nightmare of bookkeeping... full thrust has also a semi vector system you cannot switch instantly but I really like the fantasy flight idea of different manouver wheels (x-wing, https://www.fantasyf...roducts/x-wing/ respectively star wars armada https://www.fantasyf...ar-wars-armada/ )

the basic idea is very good and can be adapted to any SF universe and its still fast enough for mass ship battles...

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Wow that’s a name I haven’t herd in a long long time

I never got the chance to play but other Airman that lived in the dorms loved that game

Star Fleet battles was what I liked

If I wanted to make money I would go with a name people are familiar with like
Wing Commander
Or Star Fleet Battles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users