Lone Wolf In The Frr

7 replies to this topic

#1 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

(original time spent with the Mariks thread here- trying to keep each contract in the proper faction

http://mwomercs.com/...f-among-mariks/

comments welcome- derails aren;t :) )

---------------------------------------------

journal entry #291

well finally got out of the mech graveyard know as Wazan and took a short contract with the FRR. yeah sure i gotta start near the bottom but i made a few contacts while on loan to stop the clans up here before so at least i didn;t get stuck on garritrooper detail. no credits in that.

anyhow no sooner did i get off the transport did people start running around all trying to get ready for action. Turns out some place Alleghe was considered vulnerable and the FRR were rallying up troops. since i hadn;t unloaded my mechs yet, my dropship was given orders to head to the front and help out the attack. Talk about not even getting a chance to unpack.

First spot had me with some mercs (note to self-i really should learn which ones are the mercs and which ones are the house troops- house troops get whiny when i call them mercs) from the C4T defending a recently taken base fromfrom clanners from C4T and other clanners. Worst thing about these jobs is that the defenses aren't fully repaired so it's easier on the attackers. Turned out these guys had their act together and we managed to shift to the needed front quick enough to drive them back and secure the base.

Then they shuttled me over to another hotspot (i think they didn;t have the numbers they thought they had considering how much i moved around the past few days). mercs on our end which i figured was a bad sign when i saw some insignia from AS and GCGB on the other side, fortunately there were less than a lance of each. or maybe there was i lost count. another deal where we had to hold what had been taken. This one was more of a problem as these guys were much more unpredicatble. i think they had multiple attacks through multiple gates at the same time. Fortunately for us the first couple pushes were a bit unorganized and we were able to do enough damage that by the time they got their act together we managed to hold them off with only moderate damage to the main generator.

Finally got some shuteye after that. too tired to even update this or visit the pub for what seemed to be the traditional drinking party to celebrate. That was good and bad- bad because most of the regular troops were too hung over when the alert sounded in the morning to do anything. Good because i could make some more credits. Both sides were starting to get worn down as both sides could only gather random mercs to take the battlefield. This one was a brawl. Gates being left unwatched. Pushes outside the walls to chase 2 mechs when 6 were coming through another. The clanners stopping to duel people instead of pushing to the target. Not sure how it happened but someone we hung on and they retreated. Generator was down to the backups but the enginneers claimed they can fix it before the backups run dry so i guess this counts as a win.

Last battle before i finally got pulled back to the secondary bases behind the lines we had to make the push ourselves this time. Another merc job. even the clanners could only respond with the same. Still we did have a couple veterans to organize but a couple of greenhorns who never even read their mission briefings. Intial push went fairly well, got one defense generator and i nearly took down the second myself before i had to fall back. We finished the job on the second wave and even got some minor damage to the guns in the process but we were losing mechs left and right even though we had taken out the defense generators around the main turret. Third wave came in but they were expecting us at this point, did some more damage to the turret before being driven off. we almost had it! couple more shots would have done it.

Final wave comes in, i'm in my Jenner and suggest the lgihts flank one way after the big guys get their attention going the other. Shockingly everyone agreed to give it a shot. They went in, and after a slight delay so did we. Clear sailing on our end right up to the guns itself. Caught a t-wolf looking the wrong way and jumped right over him with a direct line of fire to the guns when the second t-wolf took out my central stabilizer and my left gyro just as i was about to fire and i ended up spinning off unable to get a shot off ((ooc- stupid lagspike)). The heavies were bogged down but the last jenner and a cent managed to get the final shot in after taking heavy damage themselves and the turret went down taking out the clanners with it.

we were in no position to do anything else after that so i was happy to see the dropships come and get us out of there with fresh mechs coming in to hold the line. i dunno how things are going to turn out in the end but all i knows is that i got 4 solid paychecks out of this. never won that many in a row on the marik front. think coming this way for a bit was a good idea after all.

better get some shuteye now. let the other guys go celebrate. credits are too good to risk dulling my edge now.

#2 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

Love the stories man. I know you hate the Steiners and all but you need to make your way to that front some time. would love to see some stories on your travels up that way. Keep it up man, get a vote for every post from me.

#3 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

Liked your story quite a bit :)
Currently being Merc in the FRR is nice, lots of opportunities! A second part would be great ;)

#4 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

pat- oh i spent a little time defending the steiner borders before that front openned up on the marik side again. dunno if i go that route- would probably go dracs first.

war- i usually only have a couple days a week where i have time to do CW but i should get another post or two up before the contract expires,

#5 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

Journal entry #298

was a rough go today. been stuck at base with a cold and finally decided to drag myself off to make some credits. I probably should have stayed in bed. Went to a place called dawn- except it was already dusk when i got there so someone better rename the place- or sue for false advertising or something.

was the usual run of the mill mercs, few steiners and yes actual Liao pilots were seen- i thought they were myths like the periphery worlds. of course we got stuck counter attacking because whoever was trying to defend the place did a horrible job of it and now we had to clean up the mess. unfortunately the other side decided to bring som ecm with the stromcrow/t-wolf lines of doom and destruction they usually used.

did seem kind of odd to see the clanners charging out from the walls instead of the FRR berserker charge- of course that would have required actual FRR pilots on this run. plus we had some raw rookies who didn;t even know what they were supposed to be shooting so the two pronged charge turned into 6 mechs trying to get through two of the perimeter walls and 6 mechs actually going over and trying for the objectives. managed to run with another jenner and take down our target but the other side got stalled.

that was pretty much it- unit cohesion fell apart, no one went to push from the opposite side of the base while the clanners were charging to our landing area and totally out of position. i tried but turrets ripped me apart and had to fall back to the designated retreating spot. as we fled the planet the clanners were mooning us and started dueling each other to try and get some action in for the day or something.

i think i'm going back to bed now, maybe when i wake up this'll just turn out to be a med induced dream or something.

#6 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

journal entry #306

Man they must have remembered my contract's just about up and wanted to squeeze every last bit of work out of me these past few days. Unfortunately things didn;t work out too well for my bank account. On the plus side a couple merc units made an offer to join them but the idea of chains of command and all that aren't really my cup of tea. might join on a mission by mission basis down the road to get a feel for them but right now i'll stick it out alone.

First stop on my grand tour of the FRR was at some place called the Edge. didn't look too good when i saw more than half the clanners had the WB insignia on their mechs while our side were just mercs, though there were a couple of pilots i'd have actually heard of on our side. Broke down surprisingly to a massive brawl of all things. The clanners kept pushing along the same side and we kept cutting them off. Fortunately i had set up my LRM mechs for this run and managed to pound them from the other side of the hill while the close in fighters finished them off. We ended up winning but it was down to the wire as far as mechs went. Those two guys i mentioned? 22 kills in the four enemy waves that came at us before they gave up.

Next next came a trip to Kelmarnock where half the defenders came from marik space, RSR made up one of the friendly lances. The RSV in bigger numbers were behind the walls. Bit of a communication problem as two RSR guys were both giving orders- might have been a seniority issue over there who knows? We had another guy shellshocked from being up against the clans for so long and he was going space happy on the comms, of course the fact we had a lance of rookies with us didn't help. We barely managed to take down one of the secondary objectives befoe being driven off planet.

During the retreat we got redirected to ol' Goito again. Had some success there in the past but not today. A lance from BOR was with us aginst a bunch of Clan Bear Claw (note to self- grab some pastry after this- i missed lunch)/ Ghost Bear/ Bear Knuckles whatever they were- (extra note to self- try to remember names- may help with getting future contract if you don;t call Kuritas Clanners for instance) as the FRR tried to go on the offensive. That didn;t work too well either. Got a few secondary objectives but were cut up long before we could get too far into their base. At least the retreat went pretty orderly.

Then command decided "oops we forgot to keep the attack going on Kilmarnock- better get some people there." and sent me back there again- probaly could have saved a lot in fuel costs if they just left me there to begin with. Ah the joys of having "superior" officers. Remind me why i'm better off sticking it out alone most times. Anyway this looked promising to start, ran across the AS mercs that i was on the wrong side of the battlefield from on the Steiner front. Liao must have made them a better deal at some point because they were with them now. Then again the other side turned out to be a nearly complete unit from JGx on the clan side.

Think we had comm problems on our end though, or someone gave me the wrong channel because not a word was heard on internal comms the entire fight so i had no idea what the plan was going to be. We barely got the gate open before the clanners swarmed out of the open gate and pushed us back before we could even cross the barrier. A few people were making a fighting retreat so i decided to hop the gate opn the other side while most of the clanners were outside the base. Might have worked out better had the next wave of reinforcements arrived so ended up being a full lance by the generator when i got there and could only damage it before running for my life. The rest of the fight went about the same, another couple lights managed to hit a couple of the other generators but we were nowhere close to completing the mission.

Apparently AS and JGx had some bad blood betwen them from some past clash i suppose, since they both spent more time yelling at each other over comms (dunno who hacked whose comm net- probably the clanners the way things had gone that run) than anything. Anyway the clanners rolled right through us and we barely got out alive.

I think it's time to head back to the Marik front though. You can only stare at t-wolf/stromcrow barrages for so long (now they seem to be tossing some ecm into the mix of late) before you get sick of seeing them. Got a toehold in the FRR, they promoted me to some militia rank that i have no idea what it means. But time to go back to Dav fighting again.

i'll probably come back up up here to the FRR again. The beer's better here anyway. Just need to fight something other than the dynamic duo of clandom.

#7 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostTanar, on 16 January 2015 - 05:24 AM, said:

(...) something other than the dynamic duo of clandom.

This is why, when u see a FRR sign in a mechwarrior, u know is a stubborn and balanced, nearly Zen, defender. When we hold the ground, we do that to the very last second that ejection is possible.

#8 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

((the adventure continues back in marik space. but don;t worry. i shall return!))

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4128332

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users