239 replies to this topic

#21 Rascally Jack

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

My 955 @4.0Ghz was struggling even with lots of cooling help. I swapped over to my backup pc which is a $145 dell 790 w/ i5-2400 and get 10-20 fps improvement same video card same ram 16GBram with a PNY-460-OC. I upgraded to an XFX-DD R9-290X thinking that would help... nope not for the amd... the intel just ate it up and asked for more. Sooo time to upgrade I told myself and bargain basement shopping I went.

I picked my i5-4690k up for $215 on sale at amazon beginning of the month.

Final build upgrade after Christmas presents opened this month... yep late Christmas
i5-4690K $215
ROG ASUS Maximus VI Formula - gift what can I say?? I had my eye on an ASROCK Z97X Killer.
Seidon 120V water cooler all in one - $50 plus rebate
R9-290X - 289.00 plus rebate plus 4 games
16GB Ram @ 1600 - original
Crucial 240GB SSD- original
1k PSU $110 plus rebate
Case - original
3x Jetflow 120 - original

MWONLINE max advanced settings MSAA
damage glow on
motion Blur - high
v-sync off
DX11
FPS 70+ to 100+ depending upon what map and how involved the brawl is
Temps crawl up into the upper 40s under load

I am a true blue new Intel convert just sayin
Just be patient and watch for the deals shopping daily is key when searching for a new system but also patience to wait on that sale.

#22 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

If AMD then FX83xx....i would not go less....

#23 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I have an FX 8320 with a 270 (non X) no over clock on either and I do decent in MWO usually 60-50 with dips to around 25 in regular games. You have to turn Smoke/particles down to low, Post medium, the rest on high. In every other game I do a lot better but if MWO is your "Go to game" then I would go Intel because MWO hates AMD. (that said don't expect a miracle with Intel MWO just needs optimization in general). The Issue I have with the 280(nonX)($220) are that if you look around you can usually find a 290 (nonX) for about 30-50 bucks more(usually around 270-280, I've seen them on sale for 250), the 280X (at around 250$) being almost the same price as it. Which unless you intend on upgrading often is usually worth the price difference (how long it keeps "new release" games looking good/decent). Personally I cant justify the price difference between 290s and 970s (better on power and PhysX otherwise I would say comparable) so I would stick with AMD for graphics cards.

#24 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Anybody who is recommending an AMD chip for MWO is nothing more than an AMD fanboy or assuming that the budget for the build is rock-bottom and it would be simply impossible to afford even a lower-end Intel chip.

Intel is king for MWO, hands-down. There is no disputing it. Every single ounce of performance data in the hardware subforum shows this.

#25 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

AMD cpu's seem to be a crap shoot. I have the same AMD cpu as several people in my clan. We all have similar GPUs and randomly some of us have issues and some of us don't.

#26 Crazy Billy Joe Bob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

The GPU is the most important item for your gaming build, as that will be your bottleneck for performance, and a fast HD helps loading. The CPU can be any decent one, and there are a lot to choose AMD or Intel, but you usually get more bang for the buck with AMD at the lower end, and mid-range Intel, but the markets shift all the time and new chips keep lowering prices. Also, if you plan on using one or two GPU cards is an expensive option.

#27 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

^this is wrong when it comes to MWO, we've already proven beyond a doubt that CPU cycles are what MWO preys on hardest.

#28 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostCrazy Billy Joe Bob, on 10 January 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

The GPU is the most important item for your gaming build, as that will be your bottleneck for performance, and a fast HD helps loading. The CPU can be any decent one, and there are a lot to choose AMD or Intel, but you usually get more bang for the buck with AMD at the lower end, and mid-range Intel, but the markets shift all the time and new chips keep lowering prices. Also, if you plan on using one or two GPU cards is an expensive option.

While technically correct, MWO is poorly threaded and dumps too much load on one core. This means a bottleneck can occur where other threads are waiting on a clogged core.

#29 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostReiko 1337, on 10 January 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

is AMD worth the cost reduction in a build?im building a new pc next month and was thinking about taking a fx-6300 to save so cash for a more powerful gpu.Also if not overclocking is it worth it to buy a i5 4690,or is a 4670 a better choice?

for mwo? no an fx-6300 is not worth it, if not oc'ing the 4670 would be a good choice. but to get a 4690k for teh option in the future is def something to think about.

#30 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

for mwo? no an fx-6300 is not worth it, if not oc'ing the 4670 would be a good choice. but to get a 4690k for teh option in the future is def something to think about.

yeah, you could get a 4690K or if budget allows a 4790K with a Z97 board if budget allows it but you can keep it Stock during the warranty period and if you still have it after the warranty ends then you can play around with overclocking it.

#31 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Intel usually has a pretty loose enforcement policy on K-series CPUs. There is also a separate plan you can get through Intel that will specifically ensure a chip destroyed by OCing is still replaceable under warranty. Honestly, I've never seen the need since I'm pretty responsible when it comes to pushing my chips. My 2600K was pushed to 5.05GhZ for a few initial benchmarks and then left at 4.4GhZ for a daily OC, while the 5820K I have now has not seen anything past 4.3GhZ (because there's really no need to go any faster).

#32 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostCrazy Billy Joe Bob, on 10 January 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

Wrong on so many levels for MWO.

MWO performs better on Intel chips because of architecture differences and bad coding.
If MWO is your primary game then pick an intel chip, OC is so easy these days and you'd have to do something pretty special to ruin a chip.

I would go with something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card ($292.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $806.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-11 03:48 EST-0500

I included a PSU because although you say you have one, you haven't said what brand it is or how old.

Edited by DV McKenna, 11 January 2015 - 12:49 AM.

#33 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:48 AM

Intel Fanbois dont understand the concept of Value/Performance to Money and its questionable if the common Intel Fanboy Underive has any understanding that goes beyond rambling around over out of context claims of some artifical supriority that boosts their E-Peen.

#34 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 11 January 2015 - 12:48 AM, said:

Intel Fanbois dont understand the concept of Value/Performance to Money and its questionable if the common Intel Fanboy Underive has any understanding that goes beyond rambling around over out of context claims of some artifical supriority that boosts their E-Peen.

And AMD fan boys can't understand the mounds of data in these forums that shows AMD chips under-perform in this game, partly due to their architecture and partly due to shoddy coding

To me as someone who has owned both systems under MWO the value/performance is relative to if that computer provides me with the experience i want if it does not then i've just wasted money when i could have had my desired experience for slightly more outlay upfront

Edited by DV McKenna, 11 January 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#35 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

If I have an AMD with 4 cores, is there anything I can do to help with MWO until I am able to replace/upgrade CPU and other hardware?

#36 wuCkTEC

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAUT

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:06 AM

If you buy new hardware go with intel, better perf/watt, and every $$ spent directly translates into more fps. if budget is tight go with a small haswell i5 ... still outperforms most amds at stock

although the recently released 64bit client boosted my fps significantly (only on dx9 api, fx8350 running at 4.4ghz) i would still recommend an i5-k or i7-k for high end rigs, cause i can imagine comparable intel chips run still 25% faster (in my case would be from max 119->148, avg 75->93, min 60->75)

Edited by wuCkTEC, 11 January 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#37 Gammeth1975

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

I recently upgraded from a fx6350 @4.5ghz to a 4690k @4.5ghz. I can confirm that, on MWO with the same r9 280x, the Intel chip makes a HUGE improvement to frames and allows much higher settings.

#38 Johnny Rico

• PipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

wow,lots of feedback here,thanks,and thanks letto for the tigerdirect build list,i screenshot that to my phone and will use that when i do the purchase.didnt mean to start a mini war but i was thinking along he same lines about amd

#39 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostReiko 1337, on 10 January 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

is AMD worth the cost reduction in a build?im building a new pc next month and was thinking about taking a fx-6300 to save so cash for a more powerful gpu.Also if not overclocking is it worth it to buy a i5 4690,or is a 4670 a better choice?

I have just done exactly what you're thinking, and it comes down to what fps you want. If you are ok with 45fps avg on high settings, then a 6300 can accomplish that with no OC and only a Radeon 270. Your geforce 970 would do even better.

In the end, it's your money.

Edited by chiron, 11 January 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#40 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 11 January 2015 - 12:50 AM, said:

And AMD fan boys can't understand the mounds of data in these forums that shows AMD chips under-perform in this game, partly due to their architecture and partly due to shoddy coding

To me as someone who has owned both systems under MWO the value/performance is relative to if that computer provides me with the experience i want if it does not then i've just wasted money when i could have had my desired experience for slightly more outlay upfront

It's not even something so subjective as that.

AMD guys, well other AMD guys besides me ( ;) ), talk about value/performance, well where in the hell in the price lineup does AMD achieve that? By the time you've committed to a proper AMD chip, an 8350 or now 8370, you've just paid for a better i5. Sure, you can get an FX6300 for $110, but at that point why not get an i3-4330 for $127 that performs hilariously better? By the time you've paid for the cooler to OC that FX6300 to parity, at best you've paid the same amount to get the same performance, only with way more power draw with all the drawbacks therein, and now possibly needing to throw 50-100W onto the PSU as well. You've also thrown out any serious future upgrade options, in contrast to purchasing an i3. Suddenly this isn't looking so value-laden :)

Edited by Catamount, 11 January 2015 - 08:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users