Narc Impact Sound Effect.

47 replies to this topic

Poll: Add in a sound effect when you get NARCed (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Should NARC make a unique Impact sound?

1. Yes (193 votes [90.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.61%

2. No (20 votes [9.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Being NARC'd should have the same warning as being TAG'd... None. NONE! It's really underused and all it takes to counter it is that you type "Hunch, u narcd" in chat when you see it. It takes 4-5 tons to be used. That's the tonnage you could've spent on SRMS, better backup lasers, heatsinks or more payload for your own missiles.

If there has to be a warning, let it be a sound, indistinguishable from an AC/5 sound and with the same knockback and HUD damage direction warning. Ok, that's 3 warnings already, but you get the point.

Edited by Uthael, 07 April 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#22 TheArcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Been running a NARC/ECM RVN for months. I do find it incongruous that a NARC victim doesn't know he's NARCd, but the victim's teammates do. My sneaky-side wants me to say "No enemy should know my NARCs are active, other than infering it from the incoming explosive rain." However, my rational side agrees that the victim should just know, without the need for a warning from teammates. An impact sound isn't really needed.

#23 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostTheArcher, on 01 March 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

Been running a NARC/ECM RVN for months. I do find it incongruous that a NARC victim doesn't know he's NARCd, but the victim's teammates do. My sneaky-side wants me to say "No enemy should know my NARCs are active, other than infering it from the incoming explosive rain." However, my rational side agrees that the victim should just know, without the need for a warning from teammates. An impact sound isn't really needed.

Any kinda of immersion in MWO would be just.... Hmm.. You know. Wrong !! :P
Don't be that game ! ^_^ :blink:

#24 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

NARC beacons already tiny -shunk- sound when they attach, i should know i've walked up to my targets close enough to hear it once or twice and i used that lesson to catch the sound of someone nearby getting tagged with it once and chased the spotter off.

which means this poll is basically weather or not you're too busy staring blindly forwards in the hope of shooting someone to check your rear flank before the push and want to not be punished for your laziness. guess i'll need to build a decent missile platform to punish you guys for it even more.

#25 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,944 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 02 March 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

NARC beacons already tiny -shunk- sound when they attach, i should know i've walked up to my targets close enough to hear it once or twice and i used that lesson to catch the sound of someone nearby getting tagged with it once and chased the spotter off.

which means this poll is basically weather or not you're too busy staring blindly forwards in the hope of shooting someone to check your rear flank before the push and want to not be punished for your laziness. guess i'll need to build a decent missile platform to punish you guys for it even more.

They don't make any noise when they attach, they make a -poof- sound when they launch, and if you're within 120 meters or so you will hear the sound remotely, but there is no noise for when they impact a surface currently.
The poll is to add an impact sound.

Edited by Mister D, 08 March 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#26 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

I am still trying to figure out what the LTD modules effects were since they all have some effect of one kind, the narc doesnt seem noticeable only one i can tell diff with is the shock absorber one and the losing a leg one.

#27 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Someone on my unit said there should be specialized narcs...including one that changes your id to the other side for say 30 seconds and changes your name randomly. You get narced, show up as the enemy with a new name, and get team *****...I love this idea. Well?

#28 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

We have voip now. The NARC impact sound should already be...

' [insert player name here] you're narced. '

#29 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I'm sure it's been said, but NARC and TAG need some kind of IN MY COCKPIT indicator, instead of just letting everyone else around me know I've been screwed.

View PostRevengex, on 10 March 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Someone on my unit said there should be specialized narcs...including one that changes your id to the other side for say 30 seconds and changes your name randomly. You get narced, show up as the enemy with a new name, and get team *****...I love this idea. Well?

That's some really cool Call of Duty stuff right there. Why not just release a module that gives no red name and crosshair when targeted by an enemy? Maybe one where I'm invisible to UAV? Yeah, I'm kind of being a jerk...but we don't really need CoD stuff in MWO. CoD is a great game when you want CoD, it isn't very mechy.

And frankly half the shart in CoD isn't very military combat either.

Edited by Vermaxx, 20 March 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#30 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

I'd love if Betty would simply warn you when you've been NARC'ed. Like she'd start repeating: "TRANSMITTING LOCATION" with accompanied warning pop-ups or something.

#31 BetaVirus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

View PostMister D, on 12 January 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

I always thought it would be good to have some kind of sound for when the NARC beacon slams into a mech.

Just as when a Gauss round slams into you, it has a unique sound, and you know "I just got hit by a Gauss slug" you can identify what weapons have hit you by their impact sound.

Not sure how PGI feels about having some kind of warning light going off while you are narced, and I doubt it.

But I think just having a collision sound effect of a "THUNK!" when it hits your mech would be at least a heads up to what happened, and why all of a sudden you have 1000 missles raining down on your face.

Something easily dismissed as background noise in a fight unless you're paying attention.

Just a subtle metallic "thunk" like when you stick a magnet on your refrigerator kind of sound is all :D

!!!Try keeping it on par with a gauss sound!!!

The sound of a high powered industrial magnet hitting you or even the automatic drill and mounting function that would be needed for a Narc to stay on the mech would be heard in any event. Just think about what you would need to do for it to stay working and not breaking or coming off the mech when being shot, moved or otherwise knocked around.

That means that it is firmly in place and you can hear a thunk and a subsequent drill and mounting phase. try hitting a solid metal door with a small thick metal tube sometime. or even the sound of a metal drill going to work.

#32 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Simply adding a sound effect to the narc impact would be a slight nerf to the weapon and add more danger to the spotter because now as soon as the target is hit he knows to take cover or to turn around and start looking for the spotter. Granted its not supposed to be a complete surprised thats why your team mates can see your narced and warn you, so adding a sound effect to the victim doesnt seem like to much of a leap. The system already seems inferior to tag for me at least (personal preference, we can argue in a different thread) and I think removing its element of surprise would turn it into an absolute waste of tonnage.

So if a sound effect was added I think the narc receive some kind of buff as well.

maybe immediately transmitting target information on impact that way it helps out both direct fire team mates and the missile boats.

#33 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

i think i used to hear NARC impacts but engine drowned out the sound. If the existing sound was boosted 25% it would probably be enough yet still be stealthy.

(For the record i love NARC, came upon a team of 3 ECM and all their friends holding a well defended position. Many missiles from them. i kept my ECM on and threw out 2 tons of NARC on them to make them targetable. They got mad at me for that. Even saw them type in chat their frustration at my helping of my team. My team held their ground and stayed under my umbrella, we won, it was good teamwork on both sides. Well played all.)

#34 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 12 January 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Absolutely. The fact that your team can tell that you are narc'd but you cannot tell for yourself is crazy.

Precisely. I have no idea why this hasn't been implemented yet - an impact sound, putting the NARC'd icon up on your HUD, etc. No... apparently our mechs can read enemy weapon loadouts, but can't tell when they have a honking beacon stuck to them... of course, they also can't read friendly mech loadouts, so I guess the current situation makes a bizzaro world sort of sense...

#35 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

Betty, : "NARC Beacon Detected".

#36 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

One way you know you are NARC'd is if missiles come at you even under cover.

Edited by Wildstreak, 03 April 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#37 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

I dunno about a unique sound effect for the impact...

Now, Betty complaining 'Foreign object detected' or something along those lines would make more sense.

#38 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostFirelizard, on 06 April 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I dunno about a unique sound effect for the impact...

Now, Betty complaining 'Foreign object detected' or something along those lines would make more sense.

I only liked this because I would be slightly aroused if I heard that in-game.

#39 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

On top of a distinct thunk or clang sound for a narc hit, it should make a very faint sonar style ping sound for its duration

Each little bit of depth adds up

#40 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:15 AM

An indicator would be nice as well, since you can also detect allied ECM, enemy ECM, and you even have the status indicators on the allies/enemies overlay data. Why can't we have a little indicator in the cockpit?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users