Narc Impact Sound Effect.

47 replies to this topic

Poll: Add in a sound effect when you get NARCed (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Should NARC make a unique Impact sound?

1. Yes (193 votes [90.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.61%

2. No (20 votes [9.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

I always thought it would be good to have some kind of sound for when the NARC beacon slams into a mech.

Just as when a Gauss round slams into you, it has a unique sound, and you know "I just got hit by a Gauss slug" you can identify what weapons have hit you by their impact sound.

Not sure how PGI feels about having some kind of warning light going off while you are narced, and I doubt it.

But I think just having a collision sound effect of a "THUNK!" when it hits your mech would be at least a heads up to what happened, and why all of a sudden you have 1000 missles raining down on your face.

Something easily dismissed as background noise in a fight unless you're paying attention.

Just a subtle metallic "thunk" like when you stick a magnet on your refrigerator kind of sound is all :D

Edited by Mister D, 20 March 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#2 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

oh god yes, anything to know you have a damm homingbeacon stuck to your mech

#3 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Absolutely. The fact that your team can tell that you are narc'd but you cannot tell for yourself is crazy.

#4 Sevrid

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:14 AM

I mean as much as I would like to know when I'm lit up like a Christmas tree, to me, the whole idea of narc is kind of a stealth mission thing. If someone knows they were hit they will start looking for the person who hit them. And narc is so underused right now do we really need to make it harder?

#5 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 479 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostSevrid, on 13 January 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

I mean as much as I would like to know when I'm lit up like a Christmas tree, to me, the whole idea of narc is kind of a stealth mission thing. If someone knows they were hit they will start looking for the person who hit them. And narc is so underused right now do we really need to make it harder?

I believe it already does make an unique, subtle impact sound.

NARC isn't that underused. I see it about fairly often, but it's not essential to missiling for either Inner Sphere or Clan, so there are plenty of boats who never would consider it, and plenty of teams who never would devote lights to carrying it as taggers/narc beacon spotters.

The thing about NARC is, it is a radio beacon with a clamp that fires and hits like a missile and for it to be sending targeting data quite effectively across the battlefield that is strong enough to not be interfered with by all the electromagnetic bursts, ecm, eccm means it has to be broadcasting pretty powerfully, for it's brief 20-30 second life span (great batteries and antenna). That powerful signal apparently is picked up by all your allies, so thier onboard computer shows YOU narc'd but it seems the mech that is itself effected still cannot determine this about itself. That, TO ME - seems incorrect.

Even if the NARC is a very overpowering broadcast signal on the target that the target's own computer can't identify correctly because it's external sensors get errors or do not "scan" the space that is the mech itself, there should be something showing that powerful targeting and telemetry/(counter ecm too) signal blasting across the battle field around you... interference (light) on your HUD screens, odd random bits of data or numbers like telemetry showing your x, y coordinate showing ON YOUR screen, because your targetting computer has detected your coordinates being sent out via radio wave and has recognized you need to know. Something. It doesn't have to be a klaxon, nor a bitchin betty report - just a subtle data/coordinate pop u, or something weird like on the MINI MAP, your location is suddenly being indicated in some unusual way for even you to notice... if you see on the mini map that you are lit up this way, or appear as a blinking Icon, or in an odd color, you realize you are actually NARCed.

This would be my suggestion. But just to be clear, those who know to be wary of NARC are often in teams and when they see individual NARC shots, they usually seek cover if they know they were exposed, furthermore they ask their team mates, AM I Narced. Unfortunately the reply rate is about 50%... too often it's,"Uh, what's NARC... the "symbol" I mean", or something like that said, due to many players not really paying attention to anything they don't see on themselves - so never really knowing that the "wifi signal strength" symbol by the targeting brackets was the clear indicator of NARC beacon being on a given mech they are targeting, or having relayed to them, or even seeing on their own team because they have pressed "q".

Also, Narc beacons, they do make a sound that is audible when it hits, it's just not an explosion, so gets lost in the background. I've heard a sort of "klumphf" sound after a torpedo's away sound from a jenner - k or anansi spider and was fairly certain I was NARCed, ending up being glad to have then retreated to cover, informing others that there was a NARCer and therefore possibly Missile Boats to take out, which we then proceeded to do when they started firing on my Narc location that was tempting but where actually I could avoid most or all of the volleys, perhaps taking a little damage deliberately so they would keep firing rather than manuver away from my teammates hunting them and their NARCers.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 13 January 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#6 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Isn't a Narc notification thing something in the works? Or was that just a tweet by Russ somewhere?

#7 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

Greetings all,

I would agree that having some form of mini map, HUD, indication of an active NARC would be what we need.

That 'other game', actually has/had similar items/indicators displayed for the Pilot.
- When a NARC goes active, requesting 'service' it is a lit yellow NARC bar on the HUD. (Enemy NARC'd)
- If it's in range of your mini map, it's indicated there by a pulsing yellow strobe around the target.

Now these features could be included into MWO.
- A target NARC, show yellow NARC bar. (and mini map strobe)
- Your 'Mech NARC'd, show flashing Red NARC bar (and red mini map strobe on you)

Note here: This was also linked to TAG and displayed similarly.

Currently we have nothing happening with the mini map to show any changes to ECM, TAG, NARC, Enemy Air Threats.
- It's as if the HUD mini map is not functioning and only has the basic info of IFF 'Mech's and there facing direction.
- It can't even be zoomed into for detail info or heaven forbid, set to 'passive mode'. (sorry, another topic)

Yes, the HUD mini map would need to be completely redesigned and quite a few features added to it. With the addition of the 64bit driven computations, much more precise data, this could allow PGI to look into added features for this key element and tool for the Pilot.
(I'm not asking or looking for 3D terrain mapping models to be displayed, but only the basic elements that are actually in the game now. Small changes that bring big returns for all Pilots and a much better situational awareness.)

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 13 January 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

I think the visual aspects of Narc are ok ATM.

Its a stealth weapon, you don't want the enemy knowing he is Narced too easily, good teamates usually call out if a friendly is narced.

Some kind of blinking target for 5 seconds on the enemy who has been NARCed is ok, to give a better "heads up guys, this is the target to aim at" kind of deal, but nothing too over the top.

Thats why I think just a subtle impact sound would be more than enough, gives a warning to those who pay attention, but it stays stealthy.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

half of the narc missile is a big foam like mass to stealthy land on your mech without a "clonk" noise. super ninja missle :P

IS narcs however have simply a pillow strapped on the front, because silent ninja foam is lostech.

#10 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

Congratulations. Great Idea. Forced me to hit the like button. :)

#11 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Greetings all,

An add-on to my previous post about having some indication on the HUD of an 'Active' NARC.

- If this device has such a powerful EMP system, to disable the targets ECM capability,
- And broadcast a multi-wide targeting beacon.

It should effect the target 'Mech's systems to some extent, causing a slight 'flux' or interference in the Pilots HUD display.
- Possibly a display of some static interference that indicates to the Pilot there is a NARC present.
- This does not have to be static to the effect to make it difficult for the Pilot to 'fight his 'Mech', but should be enough to show there is a powerful transmitter/device attached to his 'Mech.

~ As everyone has mentioned about this device, every other Pilot can see the effected 'Mech except the 'Mech Pilot himself.
~ With the global C3 comms systems we all enjoy, this info should have been transmitted to the effected 'Mech within seconds as it doesn't deter other target info or systems use.

Just some observations and suggestions,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

#12 Lhaim

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

That would be a cool thing to have instead of just some icon, voted with yes.

#13 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Very much yes, The NARC beacon should have a similar sound as being hit by an SRM2 with out the explosive effect.

#14 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

You mean "incoming missile" doesn't give it away :)

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

I was saying this before... Get NARCed... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP !! Make one of those useless panels that you have go crazy.

Sound is one of things that is sort of broken in MWO.. The fact that you can't HEAR tens to hundred ton mech scraping against each other.

Edited by ShinVector, 17 February 2015 - 01:12 AM.

#16 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

I believe adding a NARC icon to the HUD was confirmed as a "soon" feature.

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

I like the idea of it making an audible "beeping" sound while it's active, as well as a subtle "thump" when you're hit by one.

Something like this...maybe a bit more subtle: http://www.pond5.com...puter-beep.html

#18 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

No sound, but... I find it absurd that you would not know if a transmitter/homing device were attached to your mech. Instead of sound how about a HUD message similar to "LOW SIGNAL"? perhaps "SIGNAL INTERFERENCE" or some such thing.

#19 HUNTERS MOON

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

The yes folks just want to eliminate Narc.

Make Narc hits count the same as KILLS.....upset the order..now we are talking....

Make a "RETURN TO SENDER" module...have it and all LRMS return to the boat....I'm an agent of chaos...

Edited by RENEGADEMOON, 26 February 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#20 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

A constant beeping noise, some kind of alarm in the cockpit, blaring klaxons, or some ICON popping up letting you know you're NARCED, all bad, and removes the stealth of NARC.

A one time, low volume easily dismissible as any other weapon's fire, thunk when it hits you is all it needs.

Edited by Mister D, 26 February 2015 - 05:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users