• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Gentlemen,

Over the past couple weeks I have found that I am earning amazing amounts of cash fighting for the Jaguar. I should spend it because its not like I'm accruing interest.

That said I need some advice, part of me wants to get the Warhawk, it is a canonically Jaguar mech, powerful, and versatile, but I am not a very good assault pilot. I also am looking at the Direwhale...I mean dire wolf, mostly because holy balls that can hold some firepower. But again, assaults, I normally only pilot things that can at least go 80kph.

That leaves the Mad Dog, I would need to wait until the 20th for the Cbill MDD to be available for purchase but is it worth it.

My current Clan Stable is this:
x3 Mist Lynx
x3 Kit Fox
x3 Nova
x3 Stormcrow
x3 Summoner
x3 Timberwolf

So as you can see I'm lacking in assaults, thus my thought.

What say you my fellow clansmen?

#2 Elysium911

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

I see only one clan assault - Dwolf. And of course Dwolf with JJ (possible) will be added.

#3 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostElysium911, on 16 January 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I see only one clan assault - Dwolf. And of course Dwolf with JJ (possible) will be added.

I saw from the town hall they may be adding the DIreWolf S, that would be cool.

But there is the Warhawk, 85 ton Clan Assault.

Also I hope they add the executioner, 95 ton assault with JJ, it's awesome

#4 NotGiggity32

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

I own two Warhawks that I have mastered. The speed and hardpoints are pretty good. The downside to the Warhawk is the enourmous size of the side torsos. A competant opponent will strip your side torsos quickly and that is the end of you. The Direwolf can "facetank" better, but even tweaked for speed it can't go 55 kph. It is a difficult decision. I only do well in The Warhawk if there are other mechs around to distract my opponents and I accept a support role. LRMs work well if you have spotting support. I also like large pulse lasers on it too. If it gives you any idea of my opinion of the Warhawk I named the one I sold, "Glass Torsos".

It Depends on what you want to do with it. I would say if kills are important go with the Dire Wolf.

#5 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

Amarus Cameron,

In the order we use them by prevalence for the CW DROPDEC:

MDD
DWF (defenses primarily)
WHK

#6 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostGiggity32, on 16 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

I own two Warhawks that I have mastered. The speed and hardpoints are pretty good. The downside to the Warhawk is the enourmous size of the side torsos. A competant opponent will strip your side torsos quickly and that is the end of you. The Direwolf can "facetank" better, but even tweaked for speed it can't go 55 kph. It is a difficult decision. I only do well in The Warhawk if there are other mechs around to distract my opponents and I accept a support role. LRMs work well if you have spotting support. I also like large pulse lasers on it too. If it gives you any idea of my opinion of the Warhawk I named the one I sold, "Glass Torsos".

It Depends on what you want to do with it. I would say if kills are important go with the Dire Wolf.

Thank you for the very detailed response, that helps quite a bit, this is the exact type of response I was looking for.

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 16 January 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

Amarus Cameron,

In the order we use them by prevalence for the CW DROPDEC:

MDD
DWF (defenses primarily)
WHK

Thanks boss man, that helps me choose for the long run, I'll save the C-bills and buy me a slightly angry dog, any thoughts on which variant to buy first?

And I will be buying the warhawk eventually, just have to have the mech

#7 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 16 January 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

Thank you for the very detailed response, that helps quite a bit, this is the exact type of response I was looking for.

Thanks boss man, that helps me choose for the long run, I'll save the C-bills and buy me a slightly angry dog, any thoughts on which variant to buy first?

And I will be buying the warhawk eventually, just have to have the mech

Given the flexibility of omni-pods I never really worried about which to get first if I was buying them via c-bills, sorry to say. Not much help there.

#8 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

i am currently trying Mad-Dogs and finding them 'OK'. They have capability to run Lrms and Ssrms which are useful in light rush situations. Lack of high mounted weaponry is a hindrance in defense however. I think overall i prefer my two Hbr two Scr drop deck for attacking and defense.

A direwolf in an assault situation might be a liability. The Warhawk speed advantage is notable and it has excellent range options ( lights do not like 4 LPL...) Also for the Warhawk consider upcoming quirks (likely more than Dwf) and future model( will it have centre energy??)

#9 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

Buy them all.

Though the Hellbringer does bring some tactical advantages to gameplay with some flexibiltiy with builds and ECM. Good support Mech in varying roles.

Assaults: Dire Wolf is a good lane controller but not very mobile, if your used to fast action tactics with raids etc this may not be the mech to go for. But in a defensive role it does excel. If you generally prefer more mobility then the Warhawk in Mauler builds. The Gargoyle can be useful as a faster insurgent Mech with good armour to absorb attacks that is useful at say attacking installations but it laacks firepower and versatility. And tbh the idea of using a Timber wolf largely preferable anyhow.

The Mad Dog is a goto missile boat platform (LRMS, Streaks or Splat SRMs) and also an iconic mech so can recommend this one here for these purposes.

The Ferret is also worth a look due to its fast speed and harrassing potential. These faster mediums acting more as the defacto scouts for the Clans. Though the Mist Lynx can be useful here (if fragile) due to the ECM capability.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users