Defending Players Deploying From Mechbays / Mech Hangars

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Defending Players Deploying from Mechbays / Mech Hangars (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Would it be cool for defending players in CW to deploy from a mechbay/mech hangar instead of being dropped in?

1. Yes (129 votes [95.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.56%

2. No (6 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Would it be cool for defending players in CW to deploy from a mechbay/mech hangar instead of being dropped in? Perhaps have a large hangar in the rear of the base, 12 rows wide 4 rows deep, one row for each player. If anyone thinks of any problems with this idea, how would you make it work? Share your thoughts and ideas!

Edited by ffofy7891, 24 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#2 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

This would be awsome. +1

#3 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

I agree

#4 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

And attacking team need to be "hotdropped" from the space - what the reason of orbital cannon if it let dropships fly safe?..

#5 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostMGA121285, on 22 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

And attacking team need to be "hotdropped" from the space - what the reason of orbital cannon if it let dropships fly safe?..

That's a good point lol, I hadn't thought of that.

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

You mean I now have a very fixed point where I know my airstrike is guaranteed to ruin a mech?

With the dropships we at least aren't 100% sure where the enemy mech will pop from, but a bay has only 1 door to deploy the mech from, which means I can drop my airstrike just a couple of feet in front of it as a mech is walking out, and watch it get carpet bombed.

Might wanna think of a solution for that problem.

#7 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

You mean I now have a very fixed point where I know my airstrike is guaranteed to ruin a mech?

With the dropships we at least aren't 100% sure where the enemy mech will pop from, but a bay has only 1 door to deploy the mech from, which means I can drop my airstrike just a couple of feet in front of it as a mech is walking out, and watch it get carpet bombed.

Perhaps have a mech have a five second invulnerability once he/she walks out of the bay. Many games implement this to prevent spawn kills.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

why does the mechbay only has to have one door? PGI couls still make mechbays with various doors.

th emchbay could be located a part more away from the omega objective, and alos have some indestructible turrets as defense.

s mechs would spawn in an elevator inside the emchbay, get lifted upwards to the mainhangar, which then has somethin like 2 or 3 exists.

in the hangar they are safe from airstrikes and arties. and since the mechbay has weapons spawncamping at closer ranges is also not possible (at leats no more than with the current dropships, or even less because the turrets are always there inlike dropship weapons which are only there when the ship arrives.)

Edited by Lily from animove, 23 January 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#9 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 23 January 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

why does the mechbay only has to have one door? PGI couls still make mechbays with various doors.

th emchbay could be located a part more away from the omega objective, and alos have some indestructible turrets as defense.

s mechs would spawn in an elevator inside the emchbay, get lifted upwards to the mainhangar, which then has somethin like 2 or 3 exists.

in the hangar they are safe from airstrikes and arties. and since the mechbay has weapons spawncamping at closer ranges is also not possible (at leats no more than with the current dropships, or even less because the turrets are always there inlike dropship weapons which are only there when the ship arrives.)

Typos galore lol. Might want to check your response before posting :) But yes, you have a point. The mechbays would be inside one large hangar, 12 rows wide, 4 rows deep, one row for each player. Each row could have a door as not to bottleneck players when trying to exit. In addition to granting a player five seconds of invulnerability when exiting, also give this to attacking players when being dropped in. Granting both sides this would eliminate spawn camping.

#10 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Not a bad idea, though 5s of invulnerability is way too long. 2-3s would be plenty.

#11 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

"What's behind door #3 Johnny?" :lol:

#12 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 23 January 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Not a bad idea, though 5s of invulnerability is way too long. 2-3s would be plenty.

However long it would take to negate the use of air strikes and arty strikes on the hangars and drop zones lol.

Edited by ffofy7891, 23 January 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

#14 AtlasKiller498

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 18 posts
  • Locationillinois

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 23 January 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Would depend on how long the animation for spawning leaves you vulnerable.

#15 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

So do you guys think having a few seconds of invulnerability would make this idea more viable?

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

View Postffofy7891, on 26 January 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

So do you guys think having a few seconds of invulnerability would make this idea more viable?

I honestly think walls would be better. Block LoS, block almost all fire.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostMGA121285, on 22 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Skip to 2:00 for Drop Sequence.
I think the cannon itself is more against the Jumpship rather than the dropships, as the dropships (Leopard class is the tiniest you can get in 3050) are a mite bit too small.
Posted Image

PGI is making Union class dropships for another game mode. One could assume it's for after defeating the Orbital cannons?
Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 26 January 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#18 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 January 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I honestly think walls would be better. Block LoS, block almost all fire.

That might work depending on where they place the mechbays / hangar.

#19 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

I think if you had as many as 3 separate hangars with 4 bay doors each. Perhaps a defender could select which hangar they drop from, so as to choose to drop nearer to, or further away from hot spots as needed, but which bay door they exit from out of that hangar through, could be random, for the reasons IraqiWalker mentioned.

I also think Attacking dropships should work similarly. Have 3 pre-designated "drop-zones", and 4 bay doors on the ship (just like a standard Leopard class dropship). Attackers select which drop zone they want to drop at, but bay door is random?

I think for the opening drop, it perhaps places the first round of lances, one per hangar/dropzone, possibly at random, or by selection/assignment in the lobby?

#20 Apophis Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

If a mech hangar was introduced, where inside the base would you place it? Since each CW map is different, be specific.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users