Getting Started In Cw, Questions.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner Kisiel

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

So I am interested in getting into CW. I originally signed a contract with CGB but didn't do a drop yet. I just am not quite ready to get into it yet. The reality is I like the "underdog" type fighting and this is the only IS group that appeals to my in the lore. CGB seems to have plenty of players based on posts I read on this subforum.

My questions are this:

What mech type would be most advantageous to drop with as a solo CW player?

Are lights good which right now is my preferred IS type?

Do I really need to join a group to participate effectively?

Can I just listen to coms on Teamspeak or do I need to participate with a mic?

I've played eve online before and did the whole coms thing, I just don't really want to get into that level again. I am more than happy to just listen and be a good soldier.

Just looking for some basic CW info. Btw... first post on this forum... exciting.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostGunner19, on 17 January 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

So I am interested in getting into CW. I originally signed a contract with CGB but didn't do a drop yet. I just am not quite ready to get into it yet. The reality is I like the "underdog" type fighting and this is the only IS group that appeals to my in the lore. CGB seems to have plenty of players based on posts I read on this subforum.
I question your familiarity with the terminology and I offer a few clarifications:

[edit: oh woups, I just realised you posted in the FRR forums and are interested in the FRR, not CGB. Well, I'll leave this paragraph in here in a spoiler anyways, though you probably already know all this and I just misread your OP - sry 'bout that.]

Spoiler

Innersphere Houses (plus the FRR, which is not a "house" per se) can only play using IS mechs in CW, while the four Clans can only pilot Clan mechs. Visit the following link, and go to where it has No Mech Selected, and you'll get a handy dropdown that lists all the mechs for both Innersphere and Clan and this is also a mechlab where you can build mechs in it to test out loadouts and workout tonnage issues without having to use the clunky in-game mechlab. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

What mech type would be most advantageous to drop with as a solo CW player?

Are lights good which right now is my preferred IS type?
Read four categories linked on this page to see if this helps answer your question: http://metamechs.com...munity-warfare/

Do I really need to join a group to participate effectively?
No, but I highly suggest you begin making friends and looking at units, especially once you have for sure decided which faction you are most attached to (be it Clan Ghost Bear [edit: FRR], or any of the other 9 choices). Playing with a unit is the best way to experience CW and you'll learn a lot from the more experienced players who are willing to share their knowledge. That said, participating in CW as a solo only player is perfectly feasible, it's just not as rich of an experience.

Can I just listen to coms on Teamspeak or do I need to participate with a mic?

I've played eve online before and did the whole coms thing, I just don't really want to get into that level again. I am more than happy to just listen and be a good soldier.
If you are looking at units or even just amalgamating your own group of friends that you round up, Teamspeak becomes highly recommended. Even simple tactics such as calling targets (i.e., "Focus Charlie, right torso is open") becomes very effective via comms and employing more advanced tactics becomes so much easier. Is a mic required? Well, that depends on the groups you end up playing with. Some people get along just fine without a mic and they merely listen in on comms and type in chat when they have something to offer - that can definitely work. Still yet, some people are older/hard of hearing and don't use comms at all but still participate in units. Some units require you to have a microphone and comms set up, while other groups are much more lax.

With time, you'll find out where you sit in the thick of things - I'd even give it a good month before you're completely settled and comfortable with what you're doing. None of this is overwhelming because you'll find that members of this community (those on TS and in units) are extraordinarily friendly and will guide you through things, provided you are able to adequately explain your position, the breadth of your experience, and what you're interested in learning about.

* This is the central FRR Teamspeak hub: http://mwomercs.com/...hub-ts3-server/

* This is an ongoing effort to list the FRR units so that you may consider them: http://mwomercs.com/...t-registration/

* This contains threads for each unit respectively and myriad details about them and how to join or "try out" any of them: http://mwomercs.com/...ment-kungsarme/
[shameless plug: I am a member of the Isengrim unit :)]

Edited by Tarogato, 17 January 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#3 Gunner Kisiel

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

First, thank you for the detailed reply.

CGB is not an "IS group" nor is it by any stretch of the imagination an underdog.

I should clarify... I joined CGB on the fist day i started the game; knowing it was a clan... I didn't have an idea where they stood as far as "power".

I popped on this subforum to read about the only inner sphere group that appealed to me. I am still not sure what side I want to play for. I seem to be most point efficient in the Storm Crow (i know; clan), but I want to give the Firestarter a good try. I can't seem to do as well in IS medium mechs.

I used to play MW4 with an IS merc unit when I was a teenager, MWO seems every bit as fun and it should hold my interest for a long time.

I'll keep reading up.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

The Firestarter is a staple in the Innersphere dropdeck. Most people's dropdeck includes one light mech, and it's always a Firestarter, or something with ECM (such as the Raven 3L, though the ecm spider, ecm commando, and ecm locust are sometimes used)

The Stormcrow is a beast of a mech. Widely regarded as overpowered. It's not necessarily actually overpowered, but it is a force to be reckoned with and both the laservomit and streakboat configurations are a staple in Clan decks.

As far as Innersphere mediums go, you have your choices. One of course, is to go with an ECM Cicada, but that's more of a light mech, really. The hero Griffin (Sparky) is an excellent choice, but really all the other IS mediums have their place and can be used effectively. I've even seen some Vindicators perform admirably against the clans. I couldn't suggest one medium, but Wolverines, Shadowhawks, and Griffins are probably the most common.

Also, remember that in CW, you are limited by tonnage, not mech classes. So you can bring all medium mechs, or no medium mechs, so long as you fit under 240 tons total.

However, if you're going to be playing Innersphere in CW, I strongly suggest taking a look at the Thunderbolt chassis. The 9S and 5SS are extraordinarily common, and the 9SE is a fantastic mech for the pubqueues/non-CW. When you get it Elited out, it handles not too differently from some medium mechs.

Edited by Tarogato, 17 January 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#5 Klappspaten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostGunner19, on 17 January 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

First, thank you for the detailed reply.

I should clarify... I joined CGB on the fist day i started the game; knowing it was a clan... I didn't have an idea where they stood as far as "power".

I popped on this subforum to read about the only inner sphere group that appealed to me. I am still not sure what side I want to play for. I seem to be most point efficient in the Storm Crow (i know; clan), but I want to give the Firestarter a good try. I can't seem to do as well in IS medium mechs.

I used to play MW4 with an IS merc unit when I was a teenager, MWO seems every bit as fun and it should hold my interest for a long time.

I'll keep reading up.

IS mediums are in my view one of the hardest class to successfully use in MW:O. That beeing said, if you give yourself the time to use them, you can have a lot of fun in them.

Since I´m kind of into IS Mediums a lot, I can give you some advice there.
As Tarogato said, I would start with one of the 3 Mediums from the Phoenix Pack, Shadowhawk, Griffin or Wolverine.
The first big question you will have to answer is in what kind of role you want to play it. If you want a fast hard hitting Mech you will need to rely on XL engines, which makes the IS mediums a lot more vulnerable than comparable Clan Mediums.
If you stick with a STD engine, you will either have to lower speed or firepower significantly.
XL Mediums do very well on flanking attacks, you look out for an target that is vulnerable, get in, drop it as quick as you can and then retreat. Stay close to cover and on the edge of the battle. You´ll need to keep a cool head and make shure you are aware of the whole battle. In a mech like this you can deal serious damage, but when things turn sour, you usually die a quick and horrible death.
Mediums with STD engines usually have a different role. They excel in support roles. Their job is to lend additional firepower to the larger mechs. Pick an assault mech, the bigger the better, and stay close to him. Around 100 to 150 meters behind him is ideal. In that position you can support him directly, by attacking his targets, or indirectly by defending him against flank attacks.
For example, if an enemy light Mech attacks "your" assault, he will begin to circle around him, which will bring him directly in your line of fire. If "your" assault attacks a target you can add some pressure by attacking the same target. Giving the enemy pilot even more to think about and take him down more quickly.
Whatever you want to do, stay in, or close to cover, if you come under enemy fire, retreat, break the line of sight and attack somewhere else.
When you pilot an IS medium, you have to be a sneaky sob and you will do fine.

That being said. You do not have to be in a unit to enjoy CW. However I would strongly recommend it, this game makes a lot more fun when playing in a group. The same goes for the public que.
We have a lot of units with a lot of nice people in the FRR and there will be one in your timezone.
If you chose not to become part of a unit and still want to be a valuable player in CW, make sure you bring a diverse dropdeck and support your teammates. If there is a unit group in your drop they usually will tell you what they want you to do. Follow these orders and you will be fine.
In a few day we will get faction groups, so if you meet a unit group in CW that has room for you, join them. Even if you don´t get on voice coms, it will make their life a LOT easier when they know what they have to work with.

And a final word about the FRR.
When my clan decided witch faction we would join, over one and a half years ago, I voted for another faction. Now however I would never even think of joining another faction. The people we have are just great. They are committed, fun to play with and a bunch of really nice people.
And we damn sure have the best and toughest fighting in the Inner Sphere. If you want to have just the right mix between competitive and casual the FRR is the place to go.

Edited by Klappspaten, 18 January 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#6 Theaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Stalkers, Atlas, King Crab and the main Assaults. With a smattering of Awesomes, Highlanders, and Banshees. Surprisingly few Victors.

#7 Gunner Kisiel

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Again everyone; thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am really leaning towards going IS when I get ready for CW. I tend to lean towards the "follow your assault and support" play style. I have been doing fairly well with that in the Stormcrow Clan MPL builds.

I've tried the Atlas before but gave up on it, I just couldn't make it work for me. I really wish the Orion was more viable (based on what I read). I really like the idea that it is somewhat of a smaller Atlas and it looks good*. Is the Orion at all competitive or tonnage efficient?

*looks shouldn't matter.... but they do.

#8 Klappspaten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Since the quirks you can make the Orion work. Usually you can have some success with most of the IS Mechs, unless you want to go super competitive.

And I would recommend o give the Atlas a second look. When I tried it first I hated it, but since I got the AS7-S for free I gave them another go and do quite well in the S and also in the DDC. And now I enjoy them a lot. Just don´t go smaller than a 340 engine. :D

When you are used to Clan Mechs you will probably need some time to get used to the IS stuff, but once you know how to position yourself and how to engage you can get some MEAN brawlers out of the IS Mechs. And when I say MEAN, I mean it.

#9 Gunner Kisiel

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

So I tried out the Orion... The mech just didn't feel right. I fear I am a terrible brawler. I moved from that to the Thunderbolt 9S... I love that mech. I think its the high energy mounts and good quirks but I am getting similar stats (avg damage per game and damage/game/ton) to my Stormcrow on an IS mech. Very encouraging. Looking forward to getting it to elite and getting into CW now with FRR, Thanks again for the help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users