31 replies to this topic

#1 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Howdy all
Been away from MWO for several months; moving, multiple jobs, welding projects, mucking around with the truck and motorcycle, yadda yadda
Since my lil alienware m11 pissed me off for the last time, decided to part together a new desktop to go with a desk I'm making for the girlfriend
My thinking behind these part choices is I want to into the new generation tech for this rig (ddr4, x99, haswell, gtx 9xx)
Now I have already purchased the case, ram, and power supply. And awhile ago I got the SSD and Win7 Pro 64bit from a friend
Critic away fellow Mechwarriors!

Hail the king, King Crab! (Eager to try it :P )

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($449.45 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($277.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($343.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($80.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.75 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($132.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair SP120 57.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: DEMCi Flex Filter 750D Kit ($49.99)
Total: $2455.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-18 13:29 EST-0500

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Other than the solid PSU, that may one day suffer due to SLI? :ph34r: I can see no objections......

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Nope...

My only consideration would to be go cheaper on the motherboard, and use saved funds plus the $99 on a full water cooling loop.

#4 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($244.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($449.99 @ Micro Center)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($83.97 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($44.65 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1661.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-18 17:07 EST-0500

Removed what you bought already, upgraded Monitor to one with G-Sync if you truly want one with newest Tech, Changed Mobo for Lower cost plus $25 Combo discount if you buy with the CPU, Removed the AIO Cooler, you could likely do a custom high end water cooling setup if you have the money for it. I heard good things about the Gigabyte G1 Cards & Switched Gaming Keyboard to one with Mechanical Switches that's apparently good thing along with adding a Gaming Mouse to go with the Keyboard. also, if you plan on getting another 970 to SLI Later on, I'd recommend returning the PSU and getting one that's Minimum 750W, i'd say go for this EVGA: http://pcpartpicker....ply-120g10750xr
Same price as the SeaSonic and still 80+Gold and Fully Modular, but 750W instead of 650W.

Edited by Lord Letto, 18 January 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#5 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

I'm not too worried bout going SLI as I usually pass along my older video card to my lil sis then buy a single higher gtx like a x80 ti

And my reason I picked the ASUS RoG Rampage 5 V is because I have had great life out of ASUS boards (had a P5N-E SLI for 7 years and was still rocking at BF3). Plus the reviews for the on-board soundcard and internet seem convincing enough to warrant using than buying seperate

The keyboard as of now is a place holder, kinda a reminder for me to check out at a store next time I'm in Burlington. Bit limited where I'm at as far as computer stores go so open for suggestions for what keyboards to try next I'm there

Another couple questions I have for you guys concerns the airflow of the case and whether this setup would not need to be OC'ed for my needs
First the airflow, the 750D case has yet to come in the mail. I was curious if the front stock fans was worth swapping to SP's because of the cover then add another 120 SP on the bottom just infront of the mother board. Kinda directing air in from the bottom front to the top back
Now the OC, I have only messed with hardware settings once and that was rearranging the 4gb ram ddr2 on my old desktop for BF3. I want this computer to last, so I'm a lil reluctant to do any OC outside factory parameters for wear and tear reasons
Games I'll most likely be playing are MWO, good ol' Skyrim, try the lastest CoD and BF, and maybe WoW again if my buddy hop backs on

#6 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($373.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($366.23 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($449.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1663.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 15:07 EST-0500
Changed Mobo from Gigabyte to a Asus, still a Asus but cheaper and if you decide to get both the CPU and Mobo at the same time from Newegg there's a $25 Combo Discount.
as for keyboards to try out, there's all of These: http://pcpartpicker....k=1&d=5&sort=a8
in the Gaming Mouse thread, this is apparently the best mouse: http://pcpartpicker....mouse-910004074

Edited by Lord Letto, 19 January 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Get a Samsung 850 EVO for an SSD instead (cheaper, better), and imo consider swapping out the keyboard. I have an X4 and I love it, but I paid $30 for it, and its full price was never more than $60 when it was actually being made/marketed. It's not an $80 keyboard. You might as well get a Razer Blackwidow of some kind for that kind of budget, or something else mechanical and/or decently macroed.

#8 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

I love my G19 keyboard, but it was a gift. I'd never spend that much on a keyboard myself. When you get local, just find whatever fits you best, but definitely go for mechanical keys. Unless you run heavy into macros, a regular 104 key will work just fine.

#9 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Aight I switched to the X99 Deluxe
Must admit, I'm a lil bewildered for the price of keyboards as of late :x

#10 Nimbus Captain Brannigan

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

yeah I'd do gigabyte gfx instead of msi, I'm building new rig too, did quite a bit of reading on each card, watched vid reviews. While diferences are miniscule gigabyte gfx seemed to run cooler while on load then other cards and everyone praised its overclocability. Even if you do not overclock it, from what I figured it would have higher life span due to proccessing cap being higher.

As for cpu, I read bunch of discussions about i7 vs i5, I decided to go with i5. Multithreading is way better on i7, but mwo not really liking multithreading that much, you would not gain that much of a performance gain out of cpu over i5. It didn't justify for me to spend extra money for almost no gain. Maybe later when game gets optimized fully it would get an advantage but as of now it seems i5 would perform better on mwo.

#11 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

@ Valheru Thunar
I'll stick with the 5k gen i7 as fas the CPU
The gigabyte card though, how did it stack against the evga cards? Saw one with 1.20ish stock clocking but the cooler looked lacking

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

As far as the Gigabyte vs MSI heat thing, I don't think I have an issue with my MSI 4G GTX970. First thing I did is set up a custom fan profile in afterbuner. Noise is still nonexistent; when gaming I hear my pump over anything else. I never get above 53C in MWO. Perhaps with the stock cooling, as the MSI is set up out of the box to keep the fans off for a crazy range of heat, there could be an issue. I want to say it wouldn't kick the fans in until your reached something like 65C. To me that was just not acceptible. I remember when my 9800GS used to run constantly at 75C just in Windows and I hated it.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

View PostGolrar, on 22 January 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

As far as the Gigabyte vs MSI heat thing, I don't think I have an issue with my MSI 4G GTX970. First thing I did is set up a custom fan profile in afterbuner. Noise is still nonexistent; when gaming I hear my pump over anything else. I never get above 53C in MWO. Perhaps with the stock cooling, as the MSI is set up out of the box to keep the fans off for a crazy range of heat, there could be an issue. I want to say it wouldn't kick the fans in until your reached something like 65C. To me that was just not acceptible. I remember when my 9800GS used to run constantly at 75C just in Windows and I hated it.

There is usually little difference between the branded GPU's when it comes to the custom ones, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte are all good brands, typically we recommend whatever is cheapest atm.

#14 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostScrawny Cowboy, on 19 January 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Another couple questions I have for you guys concerns the airflow of the case and whether this setup would not need to be OC'ed for my needs
First the airflow, the 750D case has yet to come in the mail. I was curious if the front stock fans was worth swapping to SP's because of the cover then add another 120 SP on the bottom just infront of the mother board. Kinda directing air in from the bottom front to the top back.

Some advice on fans: I took a look at your case, and it seems that some of the fan spots have filters. Whenever you have a filter (good for longevity, as long as your clean them!), make sure to use SP fans, and do NOT use AF fans, as they will not be able to handle the pressure buildup a filter creates.

Try to keep an even amount of fans, including the radiator, and balance the # in with the # out. Inequal amounts = positive or negative air pressure, which is bad.

I like your red theme, lets keep it going. Swap out the cooler's stock fans with two SP140 RED's, an enjoy a cooler, quieter, and better looking CPU cooler!

#15 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

View Postchiron, on 22 January 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

Some advice on fans: I took a look at your case, and it seems that some of the fan spots have filters. Whenever you have a filter (good for longevity, as long as your clean them!), make sure to use SP fans, and do NOT use AF fans, as they will not be able to handle the pressure buildup a filter creates.

Try to keep an even amount of fans, including the radiator, and balance the # in with the # out. Inequal amounts = positive or negative air pressure, which is bad.

I like your red theme, lets keep it going. Swap out the cooler's stock fans with two SP140 RED's, an enjoy a cooler, quieter, and better looking CPU cooler!

Hehe was waitin for someone to notice that ;)

Are the stock fans SP's?
Hope the front two are SP's at least, with a cover and dust filter

#16 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

You will know when it arrives! But the stock fans definitely seem to be different, according to the specs. They are listed at 35db, which are 2-3 times as loud as the SP140...they HAVE to be different.

#17 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:59 AM

The 6-core will be wasted if the primary purpose is to game. If the purpose is to game and do other stuff, then great.

I would go Samsung on the SSD.

Will be an awesome rig.

#18 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostAstrocanis, on 24 January 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

The 6-core will be wasted if the primary purpose is to game. If the purpose is to game and do other stuff, then great.

I would go Samsung on the SSD.

Will be an awesome rig.

So what if there is 3-4 extra cores waiting to be used...........Each core has higher IPC and memory bandwidth than ANY other I7,<-------this is what anyone would want What am I missing??????

*and for me, I would make MWO use each of the 12 threads on a 5820K no problem, after all there are 12 named threads that crytec uses

1 for engine to use,
1 for physics to use
1 for sound + water-possibly even own thread each
1 for particles
1 for shaders
1 for shadows.

jeeze I am getting all warm inside.....

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 24 January 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#19 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

I'm not too worried about the CPU being overkill, committed to purchasing it now as I'm having my father back in Cali pick one up for only $300 at Micro Center then ship it my way. Not a bad price :)

This last weekend I have ordered the CPU cooler, DVD drive, and an extra SP120 fan for the bottom of the case.

Next weekend I should be able to afford the motherboard if no other surprise expenses come up (gf accidentally left her wipers on when she started the car and the wiper motor stripped a gear with the blades frozen to the windshield :P )

#20 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Almost forgot to ask, what'cya guys think bout the Corsair Vengeance K95 keyboard?
It's way more than I would normally spend on a keyboard but the extra macro keys will be useful for rpg games plus they're all mechanical keys

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users