My Isp, Ping Etc.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

I am at a complete loss at what i should do here, so I hope some one reads this and has some miracle I can try to help.

I have Frontier internet. DSL. 4mbps DL and 128K UL(, nope, not a typo, 128K) It is the fastest thing they offer here, as Frontier bought the physical land lines 20 years ago(lines installed in the early 70's) from my local owned phone company. If you want a laugh, go to Frontier's facebook page. I am not alone.

Anyway, back to how and what I am after. My ping in MWO, it, like everything with my internet, has been slowly going bad over the last couple years. i have hit critical recently. I dont mean a sudden jump, I just mean, the net is simply so bad I can not use it for anything. Again, I can not get cable or a fiber line. I am left with satelite(I hear average ping is 600) and one other option, century link ISP has recently dropped lines on the highway near me. More on that in a sec.

In MWO, during prime time play, I get 500-600 ping, somtimes it fluctuates down to 350 or so, but when it swings by 250+ ms, it is actually worse because of packet loss. A year ago, I was in the 250-400 ballpark, with 400 being the high high end, and usually I didnt see over 300 much. It was livable.

With the new laser HSR code, lasers hit, and do full dmg. With 500ms ping, people can shoot me with full salvos of mpl before i even see them. wub crows are so potent vs anything I run, I just do not know where to go anymore. I can not shoot things, without taking more return fire then I can dish out, because they can fire twice to my once as they see me, and shoot, before I even see them on my end.

I have worked with that in the past, and when lasers were doing 0-100% dmg based on bad HSR, they werent as lethal. My K/D is right around 1.5, my W/L is in the green by a good bit and I rarely play a mech that i have mastered, and I own 100+ mechs, so most of my stats were generated using mechs with barely basics unlocked. Bad HSR was able to give me enough cushion to outperform my own packet loss HSR issues caused by bad connections. It wanst a two way street, HSR for the enemy player would allow his hits to peg me, and my hits would miss, especially lasers and other multi-hit weapons like big salvos of missiles because of bad packet loss. but HSR was shoddy enough I wouldnt get melted, and I play well enough not to worry much about LRM or even direct fire stuff like guass etc.

Lasers though, they are different. travel time is instant. before, they werent potent enough to bother me so much, but now with correct HSR, my PING is litterally murdering me nightly in the form of 50 point laser alphas fired before I can see past the rock i am behind.

I do not seek some kind of game play alteration, PGI certainly can't adjust something to help my shoddy ISP. I am after some long shot that someone here will see this, and have some tricks I can try to better my connection somehow. I posted a traceroute in the one thread the PGI guys started if someone wants to look. I want to try to salvage my current connection, because Frontier policy is "everyhitng is a contract" even though you never actually sign one, and so leaving service they will charge me, and I **** you not, nearly 500 dollars. So, while I could try my hand with Century Link, the idea of losing half a grand just to disconnect is not appealing.

About Century Link, every review I have read says they are crooked as **** also, things like moving bill dates forward so you have an entire extra billing period by the end of the year, service outages for weeks at a time they do not correct and still charge full price for, etc.

I have invested hundereds of dollars in this game, and I LOVE IT. I am broken down with this turn of events on how the laser HSR and my horrid ISP have combined into some kind of super wall i can not find a way over. I hope some one here can lend a hand.

#2 ItchyTriggerFingers

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

This is a real pickle you're in brother!

Im not a tech head, so my input is limited, and possibly stupid..

It sounds like the lines are kinda average and you may want to look into bypassing them (if at all possible). I know some of the places here offer naked internet with satellite dishes on the roof that work on LoS to the exchange, thereby completely bypassing any ground lines. A neighbouring friend of mine went from ~7mbps to ~21mbps overnight.
Do Frontier Internet offer something like this?

Otherwise, is there is a third ISP that might be able to pick up the disconnect fee for your business? ISP #2 sounds dodgy and might be trying to recover $$ from the install? So maybe hold out for a bit on them? Danno..

Really hope i don't sound too stupid with that post. At the very lest, have a bump :)

#3 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

Try Pingzapper.

#4 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostItchyScrot, on 19 January 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

This is a real pickle you're in brother!

Im not a tech head, so my input is limited, and possibly stupid..

It sounds like the lines are kinda average and you may want to look into bypassing them (if at all possible). I know some of the places here offer naked internet with satellite dishes on the roof that work on LoS to the exchange, thereby completely bypassing any ground lines. A neighbouring friend of mine went from ~7mbps to ~21mbps overnight.
Do Frontier Internet offer something like this?

Otherwise, is there is a third ISP that might be able to pick up the disconnect fee for your business? ISP #2 sounds dodgy and might be trying to recover $$ from the install? So maybe hold out for a bit on them? Danno..

Really hope i don't sound too stupid with that post. At the very lest, have a bump :)

Is there a technical name for the "naked internet" ? I have not heard of a service like that before, and honestly there is a large cell tower like, 1/4 mile behind my house that got put up a couple years ago. It might be worth a shot if I can find someone that does a service like that here.

View PostIronClaws, on 19 January 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

Try Pingzapper.

What is Pingzapper? Is that like a program I download? I will Google it after work, but in the mean time, any advice specific to this Pingzapper's use you could give would be appreciated.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Do you have friends and family that uses Frontier? What are their pings like?

If it varies or is better than yours, your lines to and in the house may need to be replaced. Has a service rep been called?

Also, are you connected via hardware to the DSL modem or are is it wireless?

http://www.dslreport...rum/frontiernet

#6 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

update 1:

i tired Pingzapper last night, did nothing for me. I also put Leatrix on just to see, and it made.... some kind of difference. hard to quantify, my ping bounced around a lot more on the scoreboard indicator in game.

As for Frontier with friends in the area, yeah it is bad. just a little history:

In the 80's, Frontier bought my local phone company lock stock and barrel. That means they own the actual physical lines in the ground(some werent in ground yet, Frontier didn't bury my parents phone in their yard until 2002, and they used the old wire just put it underground, that wire was from the 40's) and the office building etc.

because of tthat, they basically have 100% say in who(companies) gets to use the lines. They decided, nobody can, so Frontier has a monopoly in my little town in every sense of the word. They have price gouged higher and higher, and done zilcho for any upgrade except in the case of complete failure. case in point, the line junction in front of my house, the one that was up a pole in 1972, failed last summer, I had no phone for 2 weeks. They finally put a new line from the road to my house and a new junction box. The lines in the road were put in ground in the 70's I am told by neighbor.

tech support, well they sent me a new modem to replace the ten year old one I had, and my ping actually went up by 75. They say "it is all looking good from our end" so thats what they are good for.

I have been a squeeky wheel on Frontier's facebook more recently, hoping to get some attention. Want a laugh? go check that place out.

Basically, I have decided the actual lines are the issue, and I do not know where to turn.

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

One thing to consider with Centurylink is that they participate in the government program to offer subsidized "broadband" internet to people with lower wages, so they are under some level of government magnifying glass. It may not be a very significant one, but it's something. Also, Frontier must produce the agreed-upon contract for your service when requested and is obligated to share all terms of the contract with its customers. This gives you the ability to get concrete details, and a much better way of navigating through all of this. Don't let them 'talk' to you, just get that information and then figure the rest out after. Obviously if it will cost $500 to make the switch then it's pretty risky since you don't know what you're getting from Centurylink. I'm willing to bet there is a cheaper way out, though. Centurylink may also be willing to give you a 7,14, or 30-day test run at a minimal cost in order to win a customer - something to consider. Comcast and AT&T do that quite a bit.

#8 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostEldagore, on 19 January 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

I hope some one here can lend a hand.

You are either or both--far from the main node of your network provider, and/or, their server modem/router went bad long time ago. I would contact them directly about your extremely high ping and ask if they can look into that on the server side and perhaps change their modem server blade. And don't just settle for the first technician or so called technician who tells you everything is fine--ask for manager or their supervisor because you want this issue resolved. My ISP once changed their server side modem/router because it was going bad due to my complaints and them looking into it, but for a different problem, not ping related, so.. it can happen and their old modem there might not even meet the specifications of their line (under-rated) or it might not be operating in the proper mode (perhaps in some compatibility mode) or you were placed on the wrong modem speed to begin with at the very start of your service and since you didn't bother to look into it... You get the picture? You need to deal with your ISP--demand improvement on their end.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

Update 2:

So on Thursday(I think it was, might have been Friday, have to work all weekend and last makes this week a blur) I saw not one, but TWO Frontier vans in town. I have not seen even one since last August. they were coming in off the highway that runs to the closest major net hub to my little town.

Coincidentally, (or most likely not at all) my PING has returned to the 200-400 area as of Friday night, with 400 being the high end and usually floating around 290 or so, give or take 40. Now, that sounds attrocious, but I have been playing that way since open beta, and I can not describe the difference between 400 ping, and 600+ in MWO.

i even had a match today where I started at 60 ping. Of course, that only lasted about 12 seconds into the match(at the "connecting" team roster match startpage) but holy batman, I havent seen that in 3 years.

So, while I am not satisfied whatsoever with Frontier, and will continue looking for alternatives over the next few months, at least i can actually go back to wrecking faces in MWO again.

I want to thank everyone here that posted some ideas for me, and I hope to see you on the field soon, either on my team or in my crosshairs. :)

P.S.- don't forget Frontier's facebook page if you need a good laugh, or want to give some pity points to the couple people tasked with replying to all the hatred posts the customers make.

#10 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Make sure you check the UDP box when you use Pingzapper.

#11 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSagunay, Québec Canada

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

satellite internet

Edited by IG 88, 26 January 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

"Satelite" is Hebrew for "Lag"

#13 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostGoose, on 26 January 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

should be better then 128k

Edited by IG 88, 26 January 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#14 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

I also want to point out that its IMPOSSIBLE that you have only 1 ISP in your little corner of the world.

View PostGoose, on 26 January 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

ALSO IF you don t live in america (the continent) you are most likely to use 2 or 3 satellite in order to connect to the mwo server in montreal.

Edited by IG 88, 26 January 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#15 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Is there no available WISP in your area? I used to be on one and got great ping(routing issues aside), although crap bandwidth. It might require some google-fu, but you should turn up something.

View PostIG 88, on 26 January 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

IF you don t live in america (the continent) you are most likely to use 2 or 3 satellite in order to connect to the mwo server in montreal.

I would like to point out that there are no less than 3 Transatlantic fibre cables connecting to Halifax alone, another routed thru NFLD, and 2 Transpacific cables go to Vancouver. And that's just the direct to Canada cables. So...yeah...not likely satellite.

#16 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I can only suggest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users