10 replies to this topic

#1 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

This is not a guide but a tool to help players in learning how to make more heat efficient and balanced mechs that will improve performance on the battlefield. The Tourmaline Torture Test was developed by the Free Worlds Technical Institute Commandant, HeavyHead and myself for the Seraphim to test heat efficiency and DPS as balanced with speed in the worst heat environment possible. It helps players to learn to find ways to run their mechs as quickly as possible, doing as much damage as possible without overheating. Overheating is often fatal on the battlefield, so this tool should help you in learning how to control your mech better.

Post your videos of your favorite runs below and share your insights!

Brought to you by The Seraphim
www.seekhim.com

#2 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

I ran most of the mechs in my garage through this test. Here are the results:

3:00 - LCT-1E (6x SPL)
3:05 - TBT-3C (1x LPL, 1x ML, 2x MPL) (with an XL380) [rubbish/joke build]
3:06 - FS9-A (8x SPL) [META]
3:10 - LCT-3S (4x SRM2)
3:26 - TDR-5SS (7x MPL) [META]
3:27 - TDR-9SE (3x LPL, 2x ML)
3:42 - CDA-3M (2x LPL)
3:46 - BNC-3M (4x LPL, 4x ML)
3:47 - GRF-1N (3x SRM6, 2x ML)
3:48 - TDR-9S (3x ERPPC) [META]
3:51 - SCR-PRIME (2x ERLL, 3x ERML) [TRIAL]
3:53 - CTF-3D (2x LPL, 1x Gauss)
4:17 - BNC-1E (3x AC5, 4x MPL) [META*]

I started with cockpit'ing, but I did a second run of those mechs and found I was actually faster by not aiming for cockpits. I aimed CT on all mechs except the Cicada and sometimes the Jenner, where I went for legs. Most of my 120+ mechs did rear torso instead of front.

Seems to highly favour speed. My Banshee 1E was the slowest performer, simply because it walked the slowest. It downed targets before I got anywhere near them. Similar with my Wubshee, but it walks faster, so it performed a lot better at this test even though it's actually way too hot to bring into a group queue environment. It does great in solo queue, because noobs... however. I can just alpha twice and overheat with it and most pugs are dead because they don't know how to spread damage or perform evasive maneuvers.

*Meta build actually replaces the 4MPL with 2x LL, but in this test I killed most things with the ACs alone before I even got close to the mechs, so I'm considering this to be equivalent to running the meta build. Completion of the torture test in this case is limited by your engine size, and in this case I was using the meta engine size (60kph).

Edited by Tarogato, 21 January 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#3 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

That's really good.

Apparently you found a better route or are just better at delivering damage than me.

Hope you enjoyed the test!

#4 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

I used the same route as in the video, except for the the Locust 3S, where I discovered I could go wide out to the left around the back of the Catapult before I went to the Cicada.

I did enjoy, I like timetrials, for some reason. =]

#5 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Yep... that was the alternative route. I am always looking for faster ways to do this.

#6 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

For some weird reason the fastest mechs with a halfway capable loadout perform the best in this test.

#7 UnHolyLegion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:38 AM

Am I the only one who noticed his mech's footsteps were in beat with the music?

It's still too early lol

#8 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Not tried, but one flaw I see in creating a balanced mech is that you can boost speed, firepower and heat management together simply by taking less armour.

Also, it's not as simple as saying "do the test with full armour", since this overlooks the chassis to chassis survivability. For example, in the case of the Banshee mentioned above, the benefits of the high armour cap and good hit boxes are ignored.

Another point, is that while the test may help general balance, suitable for pugging, it may not be optimal for team play where you can make use of the extremes rather than take middle of the road configs.

I'm not saying this to dismiss the idea though, I actually really like it. Beyond a honing tool, it has heaps of value as a mini game/challenge. I just wonder if there is something that could be added that would help with finding a more optimised mech?

#9 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 20 January 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

This is not a guide but a tool to help players in learning how to make more heat efficient and balanced mechs that will improve performance on the battlefield. The Tourmaline Torture Test was developed by the Free Worlds Technical Institute Commandant, HeavyHead and myself for the Seraphim to test heat efficiency and DPS as balanced with speed in the worst heat environment possible. It helps players to learn to find ways to run their mechs as quickly as possible, doing as much damage as possible without overheating. Overheating is often fatal on the battlefield, so this tool should help you in learning how to control your mech better.

Post your videos of your favorite runs below and share your insights!

Brought to you by The Seraphim
www.seekhim.com

Yep - any time I want to test a new build, I always do a test drop on Tourmaline to see how it holds up.

#10 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

View Post5LeafClover, on 21 January 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Not tried, but one flaw I see in creating a balanced mech is that you can boost speed, firepower and heat management together simply by taking less armour.

Also, it's not as simple as saying "do the test with full armour", since this overlooks the chassis to chassis survivability. For example, in the case of the Banshee mentioned above, the benefits of the high armour cap and good hit boxes are ignored.

Another point, is that while the test may help general balance, suitable for pugging, it may not be optimal for team play where you can make use of the extremes rather than take middle of the road configs.

I'm not saying this to dismiss the idea though, I actually really like it. Beyond a honing tool, it has heaps of value as a mini game/challenge. I just wonder if there is something that could be added that would help with finding a more optimised mech?

Well, I run my mechs through there decked out for battle, not just to complete the challenge. It's like the difference between running a military obstacle course and doing it for real with people trying to kill you. You get the idea, but your simulation is only as good as can be made without that extra element.

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

This would probably be horrible in the desert... even worse in Terra Therma:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea67bd2bd51dad3
14x Med Pulse Lasers