Modules I'm thinking of getting
  • Seismic Sensor 2/2 (10,000)
  • 360 Degree Target Retention (15,000)
  • Cool Shot 9x9 (15,000)
  • Cool Boost (15,000)
  • UAV Upgrade (15,000)
  • Imp Arty/Air strike (15,000 each)
  • Weapon modules?

I just got back into playing after a several month hiatus. When I left, only the first tier of weapon modules were available, not all 5/5, and we only had 2 or 3 slots per mech total.

So, how useful are the weapon mods? What's the total GXP cost to get 5/5, how many CBills to get the module, and how powerful is the effect? I generally run Blackjacks, Novas, and Thunderbolts so I've got a pretty wide array of weapons, if it costs me 15,000 GXP and 6 million CBills just to improve Inner Sphere Medium Laser range, that will only help me on 2 of my 7 or 8 most commonly played mechs which doesn't seem like a great deal.

What should I get. Also, is there a general precedence for which modules to get? I'm assuming Radar Deprivation is #1, then most are going to depend on how you play (i.e. Seismic if you're a sniper, Decay if you like LRMs, Strikes for comp players, etc.)

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

If you have seismic, I would definitely buy the upgrade first of all. Seismic and Radar Derp are the best across-the-board mech modules.

Weapon modules are really helpful, but less widely applicable. They cost 3500 XP total to unlock to level 5 and 3MM CB each.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

the UAV modules are worth it.
Improved Air/Artillary Strike is worth it.
Enhanced Narc is completely mandatory if you ever use Narc.
Seismic 2 if you actually use Seismic (personally I find Radar Dep and Target Info to be more valuable)
Shock Absorbance if you play any mech that takes fall damage easily (particularly: Locust, Commando, Raven)

Cooldown modules for weapons that you want to be able to fire faster.
Range modules for weapons that you wish did more damage further out.

Coolboost/9x9: only if you think "one more alpha" is worth 40,000 C-Bills and however much GXP and C-Bills for the actual unlock. Basically not worth it, unless you're one of those people that is less attached to support modules and likes to be more selfish.

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostTarogato, on 21 January 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Coolboost/9x9: only if you think "one more alpha" is worth 40,000 C-Bills and however much GXP and C-Bills for the actual unlock. Basically not worth it, unless you're one of those people that is less attached to support modules and likes to be more selfish.

Coolboost has saved my butt more than once. I don't think it's selfish at all. Round a corner into a half cored Assault mech while piloting a medium and what do you do? While it can be used offensively, it's a great defensive tool as well.

#5 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

I've not found the need for seismic yet although a lot of folk love it.

I find a lot of my builds run with a few m/las as backup weps so I'm more often than not using the associated range & cooldown modules.

If I'm sniping in my UAC cheese Jager, I like the advanced zoom.

If I want to feel dirty, then it's the 2/2 target decay in the LRMboat.
Although since radar dep module, this is nowhere near as useful as it used to be!

UAV upgrade would be my choice though.
No matter what build/chassis the UAV is always handy for calling in teammates eager for a kill when you're under fire or raking in the cbills for targetting bonus.

#6 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

Of note: range enhancements on weapons that scatter, such as SRM, also appear to gain tighter grouping at closer range.

#7 Akerlof

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the input. I went with MPL range because I'm using those on both my TDR-5SS and BJ-3 at the moment and they're so short ranged. Then I got Cool Shot 9x9 because just about everything I run is an energy boat that runs hot.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostAkerlof, on 22 January 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the input. I went with MPL range because I'm using those on both my TDR-5SS and BJ-3 at the moment and they're so short ranged. Then I got Cool Shot 9x9 because just about everything I run is an energy boat that runs hot.

With the top level MPL range module plus the quirks on the TDR-5SS, you can reach out a little over 700m, (with diminishing damage) 352 for full damage if I remember correctly. That ain't no joke. Good choice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users