Restrict Urbanmechs To Private Matches Only

72 replies to this topic

Poll: matchmaker restrictions for Urbanmechs (182 member(s) have cast votes)

restrict urbanmechs to privates matches only

1. yes (9 votes [4.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

2. no (173 votes [95.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.05%

Vote

#21 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:28 AM

What is wrong with you op? Maybe YOU should be restricted to private matches only. :/

#22 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

There are always going to be mech people dislike.

If you don't like them, don't drive them.

I personally HATE Clanner tech. Hated it in the TT, hate it here. One day I may pick up one or two of the very, very few I like. Wont pilot them, just like the profile they have.

So you hate the Urbie? That is your opinion.

Want it restricted to Private Only?

Why?

What reason do you have besides "The UrbanMech is stupid." argument I have seen?

Does it fill a role in the current Order of Battle?
I don't think so, but then again seen some really messed up builds.

Are people going to run around with them for laughs? Sure. But that is what this game is about fun. Mind you if someone wants to bring one into a CW drop I am calling they are going to have to convince me that it is a good idea and give me a very good, and brief statement of intent with the mechs loadout.

PUG drops? *Shrugs* Whatever dude. It's your hide. I will gladly take my Cent AH can opener and send your Urbie to the R2D2 scrap pile.

While I pick them up? Maybe. Again for giggles.

If you want to restricted them within YOUR drop deck or YOUR unit that is up to you and your people to decided.

Trying to place a restriction on a mech that hasn't seen combat yet is silly.

Makes more sense, to me, to take the Clans out of the picture.

But that is me. I knew coming into this game it was going to happen. And I have had good and fun fights on the Clan boarder. Still doesn't mean I think they have a true place in BT.

The Urbie is one of the sillier icons of BT. Most people played with them every now and then.

Get use to the fact that a game with 600 mech types (Source: Sarna) and a massive number of variants. Some mechs (Trebuchet) having up to 10 variants you are going to run into mechs you don't like which other people will.

Either accept that a mech you find distasteful is going to be around and live with it. Or go find another game. It is a bit harsh to say, but with the way you both formed this topic and the lack of solid, well reasoned arguments why the Urbie shouldn't be in the game it sounds like the greater expanse of BT is lost on you.

Heck I sit here and wonder what the heck I am going to do with the Panther. Don't really like them so they may end up hanger queens.

This is the first time I have stated my feelings on both Clanner tech and the Panther.

I do not slam people for liking them nor try to ban something that has become a core part of the game because I dislike it.

That is silly.

It is like the people that yell Build X is OP.

Be glad we can do mods to mechs. By lore moding a mech was very, very rare since they are military hardware and even in legacy mechs it was easier to keep them all stock.

#23 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Interesting question: is there anything as detrimental to a team as a purely LRM-farting TBR not exclusively built as an LRM boat (the Chassis doesn't make a good LRM boat); denying the team its remaining firepower and its ability to tank damage?

Or any sneak-peekabooing 100-Ton Assault remaining close to the drop point, watching his team getting slaughtered 300 meters in front of him?

Not spouting the usual hogwash of "it's the man, not the machine" - ideally you have a good man in a well-built mech catering to his assets; but having been spectating out of an endless plethora of mechs by now; i find myself fearing untalented pilots in hyped-up machines far more than those in disadvantaged mechs. Commando is a prime example: you rarely see one nowadays, and compared to other mechs of its weightclass it seems like a weak joke - but the guys piloting those are usually the most dedicated; and will give you one hell of a time when the dance begins (seriously, i've seen some guys pulling stunts in that thing :blink: - hats off).

The Urbielovers are anything but undedicated (and what's the likelihood of a complete newcomer to go for the Urbanmech); so it seems to me pretty likely they will do pretty much anything to make their trashcans work. That doesn't mean it will be the most powerwulf mech; but i wouldn't count on taking one down without a fight.

Edited by Latorque, 22 January 2015 - 04:10 AM.

#24 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

OP, do you see where your argument falls through and sounds rather elitist? You want to exclude play that is not up to your particular standard of performance? Are you also advocating that people who aren't very good at the game should be restricted to private matches?

Your rationale for not letting a mech in public matches is based on performance, and that same rationale could be applied to recommend banning many of the players from the public queue, regardless of their mech selection.

That opinion won't be well received, and rightly so. We shouldn't be trying to exclude people and make this community smaller. This game needs to grow and thrive.

Sure, I groan a bit when I see an LRM Atlas, but if the pilot is trying, more power to him. We are all still developing our preferred playstyle and the skills to go with it. I'll be laughing when the meta continues to shift and eventually becomes the LRM Atlas. Remember when pulse lasers were complete rubbish?

The only ones I think should be relegated to the private lobbies are the ones who intentionally sabotage their team in an attempt to lose the match. Drop them out of pug queue until they can learn to play nice with others. Aside from that, anything goes. Get in your stompy robot and have some fun.

#25 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:38 AM

You think Urbie useless? Then dont use it. Why others who think other way should have no way to play?..

#26 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostVinJade, on 21 January 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

360?
that would ruin the day of those who love to run around slower moving mechs as they will always be in the gun sights of the Urby, lol.

I can just see the image of a dead raven after it tried to get behind this mech, hehe

Well that is how I read the top part.
"Comes with full +360 degree rotation."

#27 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

You want to restrict a mech based on what? You know how everyone going to fit said mech? To be honest, your reasoning on a mech that hasn't even come out yet, to be banned from public matches, which let me remind you, in a game where people have just about full control on what they have on their combat unit. Hell if I wanted to, I can flood my atlas with small lasers, will it be effective combat mech? Most likely not, but the point is, I can still do it, and still join a game. So let me ask you....

Who are you, to dictate what people can join a game match in, who are you to dictate what goes on a mech? Who are you to dictate why someone should be cut out of content because a sad soul, "doesn't feel comfortable with having said mech on his team."

Tell you what, if you don't want urban mechs on your team, get 12 friends, and play together.... Don't have friends? Time to stretch those social skills and make some.

#28 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

R U NUTS?!

#29 WhineyThePoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hey what a great idea! And while we are at it, why don't we ban all non-meta mechs. But why stop there? We should just have all players perform several IQ, eye-hand coordination and reaction time tests, then just ban everyone who is not above average. And just for the heck of it we should group people according to race and religion, there will be no cross-species contamination!

On a side note I was being sarcastic. This is a free-to-play game, and should be free for any and all to play however they like. If anyone doesn't agree with that, there is the door (points towards the logout button).

#30 SnowFox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

Holy crap it hasn't even been finalized and someone is throwing out the hate..............

Sir, you have issues, its a game deal with it.

Edited by SnowFox, 22 January 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#31 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

well - lets sum it up:

most people in this thread obviously want to be able to use their urbanmech in pugs and cw and justifiy that with the possibilty to use a bigger engine on it - thus making it competive to other mechs. If people really do that - fine, I would not have any problems with that.

However - what nobody did explain yet was - is the urbanmech without a heavy ballistic weapons and 3 times faster than it was designed for really still a urbanmech? And yes - this is a serious question

On the other side - what we will see is many people joining games in their urbanmech with stock builds - which are far from beeing competive - just for their personal fun while runining the match for any other player. And that actually is the very definition of trolling ...

well ... lets see how long it takes untill the first people start crying because too many people troll around in their urbanmechs or because they get shot either by teammembers or as priority targets by enemies because people are just fed up with the trolling.

#32 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 22 January 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

well - lets sum it up:

most people in this thread obviously want to be able to use their urbanmech in pugs and cw and justifiy that with the possibilty to use a bigger engine on it - thus making it competive to other mechs. If people really do that - fine, I would not have any problems with that.

However - what nobody did explain yet was - is the urbanmech without a heavy ballistic weapons and 3 times faster than it was designed for really still a urbanmech? And yes - this is a serious question

On the other side - what we will see is many people joining games in their urbanmech with stock builds - which are far from beeing competive - just for their personal fun while runining the match for any other player. And that actually is the very definition of trolling ...

well ... lets see how long it takes untill the first people start crying because too many people troll around in their urbanmechs or because they get shot either by teammembers or as priority targets by enemies because people are just fed up with the trolling.

And you don't seem to understand what people are attempting to tell you, locking out mechs based on a single person's opinion is bad. Clearly, majority of the people here don't agree with your opinion, at all. The mech isn't even out yet, and you are already giving it ****.

Clearly, the only one trolling is you.

#33 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

After reading this post, my answer was:
"Hell No"

But seriously people, let this thread rot. All the OP is doing is degrading an unreleased chassis and the people interested in it, which makes no sense. So it's best to leave this topic alone and move on. We have already heard enough of that, "Urbanmechs are useless" crap anyways. So let's not add anymore fuel to the fire.

Edited by Will9761, 28 January 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#34 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

I do like the 77 vote to 3... OP you have been voted off the island

#35 TRW

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

maybe you should make us a list of mechs and builds we are allowed to use in public matches so that we dont offend you anymore with our uselessness.

#36 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Can we restrict the OP to private matches?

#37 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 21 January 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Its pretty simple: Urbanmechs are useless compared to every(!) other mech, therefore people who use them will be liabilties to their team.

While I can understand that some people would want to play fun matches (private matches) - I don't see any reason to use an Urbanmech in a normal (pug) match or in CW.

imho, everyone who uses an Urbanmech in a standard (pug) match or in CW is just a troll who wants to ruin the match on purpose. Therefore I would like to have Urbanmechs restricted to private matches - so that people still can have their fun machtes without ruining matches for people who just want to play and give a crap about the Urbanmech.

You do know we have a mechlab right? Mechs can be upgraded? Right now go put a STD 100 in a spider + AC10 and some ammo, with 2 JJs, and see the carnage you can wreak.

#38 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 January 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

You do know we have a mechlab right? Mechs can be upgraded? Right now go put a STD 100 in a spider + AC10 and some ammo, with 2 JJs, and see the carnage you can wreak.

and that is exactly the kind of troll builds I mean - an std100 gives you a speed of 54 / 59.4 kph - which is a little to low for a light since it survives on the basis of not getting hit only. You might have some "success" with that build since people will focus on enemies which presents an actual threat to them. Now consider half of the team having such fun builds ... well of course you won't even consider that - just as pretty much everybody else in this thread did not think it through.

#39 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

The problem with the whole "lights survive by not getting hit" methodology, is that there is enough pinpoint Alpha out there these days that anything short of a Heavy (and even MOST Heavies) actually have to rely on "not getting hit".

Sure, being 30tons of SLOW isn't gonna help matters much, but a good pilot will nail you whether you're going 30, or 130, short of Latency and/or Jumpjetting Fubar of the Hitreg.

Where the Urbanmech makes it work, is that he's packing an AC20 in a frame the size of a Commando. Chances are, he's gonna get HBK-4G level AC20 Quirks too (one would hope), to allow him to use it effectively. And with the exception of Alpine and Tourmaline, none of the maps are even BIG enough for the Urbie to NOT make it into combat.

Personally though, I think this thing is likely to become a NASTY PPC Bucket, with an upmarket engine. Probably top out at around 120kph, with an ER PPC, and Smaller Profile than a Spider.

Sure, it's DOA. Just like so many mechs before it....

Edit: And just having played around in Smurfy, it can actually run Dual PPC, and still go 100kph.

Edited by Thunder Child, 25 January 2015 - 04:16 AM.

#40 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:22 AM

The same type of people that do 3+ kill, 700+ dmg matches in Locusts and Mist Lynxes will be the same type of people occasionally carrying you in an Urbanmech.

Likely, the people that die with 2 dmg in a Locust or Spider in the first 60 seconds of the match, will be the same people that will troll you with Urbanmechs.

The mech matters very little, it's the pilot inside that counts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users