128 replies to this topic

#1 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

Apparently windows is offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 for anyone with 7, 8, or 8.1 upon release. This is exciting because I will be able to rid myself of 8.1 but worrisome because it may affect my MWO experience.

Does anyone with more computer knowledge than I have an idea how long it would take MWO to update for Windows 10 compatibility? Does running on a different version of windows require huge back end work?

Thanks,
Pugnax

Edited by Pugnax, 21 January 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

It already works in the tech preview.

#3 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Yes, the transition will be free. They confirmed this in online translation of Windows 10 today.

And I don't understand your problems, MWO works great on Windows 8.1. It may work better on Windows 10, but it will most likely require Direct X 12.

It's hard to tell how munch work and time it will require PGI to add DX12 support for MWO, biggest question here: will it be worth it?

#4 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

I am on Windows 7 6bit and plan to stay there. I am also trying to get away from Windows OS and have switched most of my rigs over to Linux mint except two main gaming rigs I have. I have experience with Windows 8 and 8.1, but I really don't recommend upgrading to either of them. I haven't on my systems, and really see no need to nor desire to support Microsoft if this is the new path they are taking.

I would say MWO will play just fine on Windows 10, and it shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I am even keeping Windows 7 on my gaming rigs is the fact that at this time its needed to play games that are Windows only. With Steams new OS and the direction of streaming games over Linux and Steam systems, I am hoping to get rid of all but one of my rigs running Windows as a OS.

#5 Midian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

You will have a year to avail of the upgrade so I'm sure you'll hear of any MWO issues from others before the year is up :-)

#6 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostTank, on 21 January 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

And I don't understand your problems, MWO works great on Windows 8.1. It may work better on Windows 10, but it will most likely require Direct X 12.

I don't have a problem running MWO on 8.1, I just don't like 8.1. My question was more surrounding how much work it would take PGI to get MWO running smooth on 10. From other comments it doesn't sound like much.

#7 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

From whats been spoken about Win10 its THE gaming OS. MS has geared it towards gamers....

#8 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 21 January 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

From whats been spoken about Win10 its THE gaming OS. MS has geared it towards gamers....

I am not sure Microsoft's version of a "gaming OS" fits my version of a desktop OS I want on my rigs. Maybe they will give us all a kinect with a purchase of the OS, maybe they will be Blutooth kinect's and take a survey on how many rooms we have in our house so we can have one in every room of our home. :ph34r: Ummm yeah, No thanks.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 21 January 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

I am not sure Microsoft's version of a "gaming OS" fits my version of a desktop OS I want on my rigs. Maybe they will give us all a kinect with a purchase of the OS, maybe they will be Blutooth kinect's and take a survey on how many rooms we have in our house so we can have one in every room of our home. :ph34r: Ummm yeah, No thanks.

Do you need a glass from the kitchen? I mean for all that kool-aid.

As stated, MWO appears to work on the Win10 tech preview build already. Further, it has been stated before that some if not all of that really odd random hiccuping MWO does has been alleviated. If gaming is what you want to continue to do, Win10 is obviously the way to go for the foreseeable future.

I'm a Linux guy. Really. I work with it every day, and have for the past 6 years (well, 6 years at the end of February. That doesn't count all the years I've used it personally (since Mandrake 8.1 in 2001). Never, even with the latest improvements to WINE or Cedega, would I recommend gamign on Linux with the latest games in mind. Games that are a couple years old or older, sure. New games? NOPE. Especially with most new games now using newer engines due to newer consoles.

Hell, has anybody even tested MWO on Linux? It's probably a pretty awful experience.

#10 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

LOL.... Cool aid hey? Seriously Wired, I think in the post just above I said I am sure Windows 10 will work just fine with MWO. I will not be needing to upgrade from Windows 7 anytime soon, and damn sure won't be down grading to Windows 8 or 8.1 for sure. Microsoft seems to have their head up their a$$ since they started with Windows 8, but if you and others love it, enjoy it.

Once MWO goes to steam, even if it doesn't have a Linux version or mac version, which I highly doubt it will, should be no problem streaming it from a single Windows rig to a Linux rig. With Steams OS, I am hoping for big things to start to happen for Linux based systems. Will it happen? I don't know but it sure is a lot further along then Linux used to be for gaming. I have not tried to test MWO on any of my Mint rigs, because I am to busy still testing it on my Windows gaming rig, as I think most of us that play this game are. :lol:

Btw... I have worked with Windows 8 and 8.1 builds, and every person that I have come across that has bought a new computer or laptop, (family members, friends) all of them had to have me go back and reinstall the OS clean, and take a bunch of $hit out of the base install. I also have a Microsoft account, and have tested Windows 10 test build, I am not seeing much except Windows 8.1 with a 10 slapped on the label. Like I said, No thanks.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 January 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#11 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

MWO runs considerably better in the 10 Tech Preview than it does in 7.

There is no reason to not immediately switch, hell there's no reason not to switch to the Tech Preview unless you don't want another reinstall once 10 goes commercial. Unless you hate Windows just for the sake of hating Windows and/or are just dying to jump over to a dying set of OSes in the desktop space that command less than 1.5% of marketshare, 10 is where it's at.

#12 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostCatamount, on 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

MWO runs considerably better in the 10 Tech Preview than it does in 7.

There is no reason to not immediately switch, hell there's no reason not to switch to the Tech Preview unless you don't want another reinstall once 10 goes commercial. Unless you hate Windows just for the sake of hating Windows and/or are just dying to jump over to a dying set of OSes in the desktop space that command less than 1.5% of marketshare, 10 is where it's at.

So I guess its Cryengine and Microsoft's fault that MWO Isn't optimized for all our gaming rigs then? I have been running Linux Mint for 8 years now, I could care less about its market share. IMO, it simply is my choice for a operating system. I don't just hate Windows, I just don't like where they are going in the last 3 years with there OS design choices. I mean hell, I stood by Vista and was fine putting it on my rigs, never really had a problem with it with any of my rigs. When Windows 7 came out, Microsoft had listened to its customers and improved from Vista. IMO, Windows 8 and 8.1 is just trash.

I have installed Windows 10 test build and played with it, but I have not tested MWO or any games with it yet. Can anyone really confirm that MWO improves enough on it to justify the upgrade? Anyone have a link or results of their own?

If you already have Windows 8/8.1 it doesn't matter, you get it for free, but if you don't have it already I am not sold that it would be worth it.

Here is a Quote from Phil Spencer regarding "their" vision for Windows 10.....

"For the Xbox team, this is the beginning of our discussion with fans about the work that we’re doing to bring gaming to the Windows 10 operating system. It’s really nice to finally be able to talk about this, we’ll continue the conversation throughout the year. We remain omitted to gaming on console, but we know that we have fans and gamers that also play on PC and phone.

It’s important that we build out the features that we have, learning from what we’ve done on console and helping make Windows 10 the best operating system we’ve ever created for gamers on PCs."

I sure hope they don't try to turn our PC's into the Xbox one.1 or just another OS for tabs and phones again. I mean why would he even bring up the part about gamers on phones when discussing a desktop OS? Seriously? :lol:

Here we have a company that creates and sells a Desktop OS, and yet they also create and sell their own gaming console. What motivation do they really have to step it up and make gaming on a PC with their "New shiny" OS coming a better gaming experience for PC gamers? BTW, don't forget about all those hard core phone gamers out there! Sounds kinda like a sales pitch to me.... I could be wrong though, time will tell.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 January 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#13 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Can anybody use the tech preview or is it an exclusive group? If so, anybody got a link to the DL for this lazy guy? I'd be willing to give it a try.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

If you do a clean install, Directx 9c will need to be installed. Other programs may need to be installed. I would suggest making another partition and doing a clean install.

The Consumer Preview will be available next week, that is when the next build is scheduled.

https://insider.windows.com/

Windows 10 will launch "later this year". The Technical Preview will end on 15 April 2015.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 January 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#15 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

I may just get a real cheap 64GB SSD to throw win 10 on......aw yeah....

#16 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

I haven't trusted MS to wipe their own arse since they let MW fall by the wayside.

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

I just installed it on two spare 7200 rpm drives in raid 0, Lets see what happens hey? I am patching MWO right now, and am trying to install all my normal stuff, CPU-Z, core-temp, CPU gagets...etc. etc. So far everything has gone pretty smooth on the install end.

Its saying 3 hours and 45 mins for the patch..... SWEET!

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 January 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:52 AM

All the unnecessary hate for windows 8, does a different UI really bug you guys that much?

At a base install level Windows 8 uses less system resources than 7, which translates into snappier performance out of the box.

As for Windows 10, people would have to be on the extreme ends of madness not to take up the free upgrade offer within the first 12 months, i can understand people wanting to wait 6-9 months to let the dust settle but to say never? really.......

I can certainly see MS game plan, offer it out for free hopefully unifying and boosting its market share onto a single OS that will also push DX12 into the mainstream as opposed to having some limited to 10 or 11 and not 12.
It would certainly be better for the gaming community for DX12 to become mainstream.
MWO works fine on the TP so the release candidate should be no different.

But given how long it took PGI to half adopt DX 11 i wouldn't expect them to code for DX 12 anytime soon.

#19 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

Well my results with build 9841 is not looking to hot right at the moment. Just played one game after getting the game patched, and updating Windows 10. I can not get the 64 bit client to run so far, it comes up a error and a fail to start message. It does run in 32 bit, but like I said... I ran a fraps bench mark and its not looking to hot right now. I will test more later today when I get a chance.

Btw... yeah, I am on a 64-bit build.

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 22 January 2015 - 02:29 AM, said:

Well my results with build 9841 is not looking to hot right at the moment. Just played one game after getting the game patched, and updating Windows 10. I can not get the 64 bit client to run so far, it comes up a error and a fail to start message. It does run in 32 bit, but like I said... I ran a fraps bench mark and its not looking to hot right now. I will test more later today when I get a chance.

Btw... yeah, I am on a 64-bit build.

People have had said problem the fail to launch on 64bit in Windows 7 and 8 not sure if anyone found the root cause of the problem tho.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users