63 replies to this topic

#1 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Don't look at me like that! They are! Why would you willingly choose NOT to play a game mode we've been waiting for 2 years to get!? And why do some of these units that negotiate ceasefires think they can negotiate them on behalf of their entire faction, despite the fact that they have no control over, and no right to control the majority of those players.

/discuss

#2 XSurusX

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Nobody is forcing you to abide by the ceasefire. The merc units certainly to not. CSJ has taken a planet from CGB recently, and CGB has taken one from CW.

If you want to get 11 other players together and drop against another clan go ahead.

#3 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 22 January 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Don't look at me like that! They are! Why would you willingly choose NOT to play a game mode we've been waiting for 2 years to get!? And why do some of these units that negotiate ceasefires think they can negotiate them on behalf of their entire faction, despite the fact that they have no control over, and no right to control the majority of those players.

NAPs (Non aggression pacts) are a part of diplomacy and very relevant to modern warfare. This strategy can help not to have to invest time, effort and resources with an opponent for no good cause and also in principal then have alligned interests that then may help your own efforts with any warfare interests.

As such I don't see why these things cannot then translate into MWO as a strategy for alliances to exercise with each other as they see fit. This is simply allied groups of players "choosing" for themselves not to do something based on an agreement. As such it is their choice and you should respect the ability for them to make it if they so wish.

You may also find as has been explained in topical comments on the CSJ forum that some of these parties have in fact identified that this only relates to those groups or parties who wish to participate in such. There is no intent to stop others from doing what they wish as per their choice to play MWO as a result so that is an incorrect assumption. Or from people who are making remarks who may not understand the issues.

As such you may find that the argument you present may not be completely valid since choices are being respected as the official message from the player alliances and units who choose to do so. And quite rightly as you say as a player group your choices should equally be respected.

This does not then however make ceasefires stupid if they are then not your own preferred choice for activities on borders or as aggressive action, otherwise as per your presented argument you are then equally imposing the idea that you want others to choose differently how they should play this game.

#4 Tasker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Wow, a guy from the faction that has a billion units dropping every single time there is a window, while other factions' players are doing stuff like working, going to school, taking care of their kids, etc., thinks cease-fires are stupid?

Color me surprised.

#5 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostTasker, on 22 January 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Wow, a guy from the faction that has a billion units dropping every single time there is a window, while other factions' players are doing stuff like working, going to school, taking care of their kids, etc., thinks cease-fires are stupid?

Color me surprised.

A: I go to school, its not my fault my school puts 5 an a half hour gaps between my lectures
B: this isn't aimed at any faction in particular, its a hot topic and I want to hear opinions.

#6 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

Have we not discussed it even too much? :P

Btw, this his my own train of thought: this is community warfare, not "pug", "John", "Tom" Warfare.
CSJ is a great example of how a small faction with few players and much fewer units can coordinate, help each other and focus on their target to win, take planets, defend their holdings.

I might understand people attacking other Clans when there are no other targets available, but we have all seen many instances of mercs attacking allies just for the sake of doing it, even when they could have helped their faction on other planets. Even if there are no other targets though, and even if it is widely recognized that only a few pugs and merc units actively attack allied Clans' planets, these actions often create a climate of distrust and lead some hotheads to look for revenge, thus wasting even more time and resources. Simple, quiaff?

United, we win. Everyone on his own, we lose. In some way, it feels to me a pug drop on a bigger scale.

Edited by CyclonerM, 22 January 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#7 CH103

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

If I had my way there would be no non-aggression pacts between the factions of the IS, largely cause I find it boring fighting the same faction over and over again (usually Davion when I fought for Liao), but I understand why people want these NAPs so as long as I have someone to shoot I'm OK.

#8 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

If you want chaos and in-fighting, go to the IS.

All of the ACTUAL clan units are 100% committed to the taking of Terra.

#9 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

Like I've said before in other threads, it all comes down to the fact that a lot of hardcore old school veterans of Battletech want to see CW play out like Operation Revival in lore. Clans didn't fight Clans, and IS formed non-aggression pacts to deal with the Clan threat. Nobody has to follow these unofficial rulings, but a lot of people do since they are all Battletech fans.

#10 Locusthorde300

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I disagree. I want to play according to the Lore, so all the clans working together and not shooting at each other I deem to be a good thing. The clans didn't do it, we shouldn't either.

#11 Pet Dude

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

I thought the whole idea of MWO and CW was to have fun with non canon "lore" and explore changing the outcome of the lore war. Hence we could see FRR actually destroy entire clans or some other non canon event possibly happen. Also why they built in map resets.

#12 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostPet Dude, on 22 January 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

I thought the whole idea of MWO and CW was to have fun with non canon "lore" and explore changing the outcome of the lore war. Hence we could see FRR actually destroy entire clans or some other non canon event possibly happen. Also why they built in map resets.

We are trying to do things differently this time.

This time our goal is to win it all.

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostPet Dude, on 22 January 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Also why they built in map resets.

Resets are not so likely..

#14 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Resets are not so likely..

Apparently he hasn't kept up with current events. Seasons went away with the way they implemented joining factions.

Edited by Kain Thul, 22 January 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#15 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 22 January 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

/discuss

*holds head* where to begin................

1. We ARE playing the game. We are doing what we wanted to do for 2 years as you say (I personally have been waiting since MW3). We, The Clans, are invading the Inner Sphere, reclaiming it to re-establish the Star League.

2. The leaders of the various units that make up the faction agreed to this. YOU guys are NOT the faction. You are neither Successor State nor Clan, you are a go between. You CHOSE to be a mercenary.

View PostRepasy, on 22 January 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Like I've said before in other threads, it all comes down to the fact that a lot of hardcore old school veterans of Battletech want to see CW play out like Operation Revival in lore. Clans didn't fight Clans, and IS formed non-aggression pacts to deal with the Clan threat. Nobody has to follow these unofficial rulings, but a lot of people do since they are all Battletech fans.

This

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 22 January 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#16 Von Blumen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Remnant....

8 players....

Infinite flaming on every forum board...

For your sake, I really hope they don't implement contracts cause you guys will be the kid sitting on the bleachers crying cause no one picked you...

#17 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Ceasefires are useful, and also follow lore.

#18 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostVon Blumen, on 22 January 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

Remnant....

8 players....

Infinite flaming on every forum board...

For your sake, I really hope they don't implement contracts cause you guys will be the kid sitting on the bleachers crying cause no one picked you...

Great laugh right there. Wife looking at me funny laugh.

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 January 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Have we not discussed it even too much? :P

Btw, this his my own train of thought: this is community warfare, not "pug", "John", "Tom" Warfare.
CSJ is a great example of how a small faction with few players and much fewer units can coordinate, help each other and focus on their target to win, take planets, defend their holdings.

I might understand people attacking other Clans when there are no other targets available, but we have all seen many instances of mercs attacking allies just for the sake of doing it, even when they could have helped their faction on other planets. Even if there are no other targets though, and even if it is widely recognized that only a few pugs and merc units actively attack allied Clans' planets, these actions often create a climate of distrust and lead some hotheads to look for revenge, thus wasting even more time and resources. Simple, quiaff?

United, we win. Everyone on his own, we lose. In some way, it feels to me a pug drop on a bigger scale.

QFT

#19 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

I will just post my usual statements:
  • Clan/Clan ceasefires remove one complete new game mode (Clan v Clan) from the faction's players
  • Clan/IS ceasefires go against lore
  • Those who negotiate ceasefires only speak for their units, not for the faction as a whole
  • It is a race to terra, not a group effort. Only the first Clan to Terra wins.
  • MWO is not recreating the Clan Invasion. If they were, no one would play IS since IS are the default losers.

#20 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

Because what ever Clan makes it to Terra becomes The Clan. We are splintered now to keep us strong, it kept the lore clans, and also MWO units based on the Clans honed. We have been practicing between each other and in community events since Beta and in the case of Clan Wolf (Alpha and Delta) factions CGBI, or as it was known 72nd Assault Trinary in MechWarrior Living Legends days (which is MWO's predecessor). have been dropping together and have been preparing for our revival of the SLDF for a long time.

We know if we work together we can push to retake Terra and expand from their until the whole of the Inner Sphere is united under The Clans.

The Clan that takes Terra becomes ilClan. All other Clans are absorbed in to it, yet Clan Wolf does not really make everyone become Clan Wolf. Clan Wolf's leadership become the Khans of IlClan. All the other Toumans are formed in to one, and it would become a re-established Star League Defense Force From there we could decide how to bring the rest of the Inner Sphere from their barbaric ways of in fighting. Each Clan's Touman would become like a SLDF Corp, and the Clans as a whole the SLDF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users