24 replies to this topic

#1 $imon Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 272 posts
  • LocationYour sisters house eating her cookie & drinking her milk

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

So is it just me and my unit or is anyone else noticing that CW has had EXTREEMLY low pop for the last 2-3 nights ? only 1-3 planets in all of clan space to fight on, and those planets are not even 60+/60+......and its like this about 3-4 hours before NA ceasefire, and staying that way till then.

WTF ?

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:58 AM

The shiny has worn off probably.

#3 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

Planet stacking is limiting choice.

Observations seem that people like to invest their time with agressive action towards the end of a time window. This since any action in between can be whittled down over time more readily.

However some observed action does occur at various times with the idea of consolidating an attack in preperation for maintaining them. This has been evident with CSJ attacks on Kurita.

---

The main problem is that people tend to stack where the action is and all congregate on that activity as a result. This then limits any diversity in where encounters exist on the map.

This is all down to player behaviour and the ability to defend multiple points of interest when it relates to the Clan vs IS interactions where defense options can occur accross that tech split.

Question is should this flexibility and player choice be maintained in order to allow freedom of choice in terms of where you fight? I think for the majority of people this is simply a Yes in terms of maintaining choices.

The other issue is perhaps also the wild disparities in player populations per faction and then also the number of planets available to attack on the fronts.

A consideration could be to start to consider logistics with distance more sensibly that may help to limit who can be involved with defenses.

E.g. If a certain light year range from the planet crosses a border into a faction that can help you defend then they will then be able to but outside of that range they cannot respond to defending.

So in the case of CSJ, lets say that a chose range from a Kurita attack on a CSJ world and this was within an adjudged defender range then they could assist in defensive action. But Clan Wolf may be outside of the defensive range and then may not be able to respond. This would mean that CW and CJF would have to invest interests elsewhere, thus limiting the blob.

This would equally apply to IS factions where if they again are not within the same acceptable defense range they cannot help defend those interests. So for example Liao would then be limited for defending IS factions on the Clan front.

Considering that travel and supply lines would be relevant in the game then this would make these a more valid representation of effect with logistical efforts.

The idea then of those factions not be able to play against clan opponents then not actually fixed dependant on their contracts since these are a plyer choice led thing with people being able to move around with factional choices. Also I would say that in the likes of Davion if you choose to play Davion as a permanent loyalist faction and that this may limit choices for playing against Clans makes it more sensible in terms of what would be a reality.

Again the only reason why the defense option between IS and Clan allows for all factions to defend is to allow opportunity for all players to at least play Clan vs IS encounters. But not mixtech and not alternative tech which would need a factional change to do so. Whether then salvage options to integrate the idea of Mixtech may become relevant to allow for these things later down the line may then releave the idea of instant super light year jumps accross space I'm unsure?

However, surrending some freedoms in terms of these unillateral defense on the Clan vs IS borders may then reduce the stacking that is occuring since then multiple points of interest would have to be chosen as a result of limiting who can get involved. I'm just unsure whether the player population distributions would support the idea at various considered light year reaction distances to defend or not, but this would be a tuneable option to some extent.

Question is which is more important: Ensuring all have Clan vs IS games or making CW interesting by not having so much planet stacking? It may be the choice of a lesser evil here if it is needed?

Edited by Noesis, 22 January 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#4 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

King Crabs and Mad Dog levelling.

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostSimon Osis, on 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

So is it just me and my unit or is anyone else noticing that CW has had EXTREEMLY low pop for the last 2-3 nights ? only 1-3 planets in all of clan space to fight on, and those planets are not even 60+/60+......and its like this about 3-4 hours before NA ceasefire, and staying that way till then.

WTF ?

Not to mention for us CSJ guys we had 3 merc units join up and flood the queues....

I haven't been able to get a match since they joined up...they clog the queue and get to planet to 100% before i get done dinner.

Not that they are doing anything wrong....just playing the game they want to play. But it has forced me to NOT have a game to play.

I guess its off to play something else! I think my Playstation is calling my name..... :P

#6 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Competitive units are training and having matches for either MCW or MRBC, season just started after vacation, so, you might find low population of active 12s at CW

#7 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North / The Wolfs Den

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostSimon Osis, on 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

WTF ?

I'm surprised to see you are surprised... I mean, u didnt see this coming? CW is not fun right now. Needs much work.

#8 $imon Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 272 posts
  • LocationYour sisters house eating her cookie & drinking her milk

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

@Fox Kell. yes it dose need a lot of work. Idk maybe it is just cuz I have been in the game since the 2nd round of CB invites, there for I have been waiting like 3 yrs for CW. So even though yes it dose still have a ways to go, I love it and have completely stopped dropping in the public que. never could stand the lack of verity of tactics in the PUB que, even though that is due to small maps and poor over all design.

Edited by Simon Osis, 22 January 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

We had more than four 12 man teams dropping for the Wednesday Night Warfare twitch stream.

This event was held by the Wapigs Mercenary Co. and the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.

We were able to get a few pilots that are not part of units up and running with us, it was glorious charging the turrets live targets for once.

#10 Tvrdoglavi

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

I was disappointed with the way CW turned out. Waiting for matches got old quick. Haven't played MWO since Elite Dangerous came out.

#11 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

What Darth Revis said+ the utter deflation of any excitement generated by the prospect of the weaker Omnis getting a bump. I thought IGP was out of the picture? Anybody tried War Thunder Ground Forces?

Edited by Ryokens leap, 22 January 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#12 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 22 January 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

Not to mention for us CSJ guys we had 3 merc units join up and flood the queues....

I haven't been able to get a match since they joined up...they clog the queue and get to planet to 100% before i get done dinner.

Not that they are doing anything wrong....just playing the game they want to play. But it has forced me to NOT have a game to play.

I guess its off to play something else! I think my Playstation is calling my name..... :P

You can always attack Clan Ghost Bear. :ph34r:

#13 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

I would really like to enjoy community warfare, but as it stands right now it isn't very fun with the limited options for attacking with only one planet per adjacent faction. The ceasefires between factions do nothing to help with this as they reduce an already reduced number of options.

I'll use the Smoke Jags as an example, the one Kurita planet is usually at 100% well before the ceasefire window expires so everyone stops attacking it because there really isn't any point. The dragon isn't going to make an attempt to retake it so the attacking population drops to nothing. So you can either just sit in the Kurita attack queue for hours for nothing or go attack the bears.

If you go attack the bears and you somehow get a match you end up basically being berated from the defending bears the whole match because they have a "ceasefire" and you just broke the law. Not to mention if someone decides to mention it in the forums a whole new level of **** is coming your way because you are now considered rogue and deserve banishment from the game and your birthday is taken away.

I know you guys are trying to be as close to lore as possible but I just want to play some matches. I could care less who's name is on a planet if I can't even get a match in an evening. I'm here to play a game, I'm not here to sit and doing nothing because someone else says so. If PGI didn't want clans attacking each other it wouldn't be an option.

#14 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:44 AM

One idea might be that if a faction does not respond to 100% aggressed planet on their border in a reasonable amount of time that it then allows for another planet to be opened up on that front?

Edited by Noesis, 23 January 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#15 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

This is because the lines change 3 times a day when people live on a weekly schedule, and tthis causes burnout. Also planets flip too easily meaning you only have to work at keeping a planet for 2-3 hours rendering all drops before that useless.

Those are the biggest reasons I see for steady decline of population.

#16 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostRed Legs Greaves, on 23 January 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

I would really like to enjoy community warfare, but as it stands right now it isn't very fun with the limited options for attacking with only one planet per adjacent faction. The ceasefires between factions do nothing to help with this as they reduce an already reduced number of options.

I'll use the Smoke Jags as an example, the one Kurita planet is usually at 100% well before the ceasefire window expires so everyone stops attacking it because there really isn't any point. The dragon isn't going to make an attempt to retake it so the attacking population drops to nothing. So you can either just sit in the Kurita attack queue for hours for nothing or go attack the bears.

If you go attack the bears and you somehow get a match you end up basically being berated from the defending bears the whole match because they have a "ceasefire" and you just broke the law. Not to mention if someone decides to mention it in the forums a whole new level of **** is coming your way because you are now considered rogue and deserve banishment from the game and your birthday is taken away.

I know you guys are trying to be as close to lore as possible but I just want to play some matches. I could care less who's name is on a planet if I can't even get a match in an evening. I'm here to play a game, I'm not here to sit and doing nothing because someone else says so. If PGI didn't want clans attacking each other it wouldn't be an option.

We're going to keep hitting CGB every night that we have enough players after Kurita's worlds hit 100%. Feel free to join us. Bring your friends!

#17 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

If PGI didn't want clans attacking each other it wouldn't be an option.

PGI doesn't "want" anything--we're the players and we play however we want and they give us the avenue to do so.

#18 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

Actually, if you are a Merc, you are here to do exactly what your faction tells you to do. That is all.

#19 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 23 January 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

We're going to keep hitting CGB every night that we have enough players after Kurita's worlds hit 100%. Feel free to join us. Bring your friends!

These CSJ mercs are the most pathetic of the bads. You know going in that every serious CGB unit will be taking planets south, you know fighting Kurita is currently a cake walk, and you knew before joining CSJ that there was a total of 2 options for attack. Sounds like an exciting week left for you and the other amateur hour pilots.

I know, you guys are here for good fights. You look like clowns, btw.

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostGyrok, on 23 January 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Actually, if you are a Merc, you are here to do exactly what your faction tells you to do. That is all.

This line of wishful thinking doesn't mesh with reality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users