- - - - -

Targeting Arty Strike

25 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

I must be missing something - my arty strikes (red smoke drop) don't always go where I want. Can someone give me the Idiots Guide version of how to use them?

#2 Charlie Brumfield

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

target their feet.

#3 AzureDragoon

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

Arty Strikes are centered on whatever your arms reticule is currently over. So where ever the Targeting pip/circle is, is where the smoke appears. and where the strike centers on.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Be wary of "invisible walls", if it strikes an invisible wall or edge (since collision geometry is not as precise as render geometry) your strike may actually land in the wrong place (and probably far too close to your mech)

If it blocks a weapon it will block the aim of an arty strike.

#5 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Wherever your targeting reticle is aimed at, (the little circle in the center of your crosshairs when you are stationary), is where your arty strike will be dropped.

You may be experiencing the "ghost wall" phenomenon where you are essentially peeping through an undisplayed surface.
Many players experience their shots hitting an "invisible wall" when aiming at a mech emerging from cover.
At lower graphic levels I seem to recall some mention of fine details of terrain not being drawn in and this could explain your issue?
I'm not sure if it applies to Artillery/Airstrikes though.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 22 January 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Be wary of "invisible walls", if it strikes an invisible wall or edge (since collision geometry is not as precise as render geometry) your strike may actually land in the wrong place (and probably far too close to your mech)

If it blocks a weapon it will block the aim of an arty strike.

I've seen it anecdotally be blocked by walls that are NOT blocking my weapons, leading me to hypothesize that the line of sight is drawn from somewhere on your 'mech - but I haven't duplicated the issue in testing, so it's just urban legend material for now. It was real fun dropping an airstrike so close to my Atlas that I couldn't see the smoke, though...

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 22 January 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I must be missing something - my arty strikes (red smoke drop) don't always go where I want. Can someone give me the Idiots Guide version of how to use them?

Point the "o" crosshair where you want the strike to occur. The red smoke will land there.

Be aware that there are invisible walls along most surfaces, like buildings and cliffs. Aiming too close to these will hit those invisible walls.
You can use any kind of laser to test for them.
Posted Image

In the image shown, an invisible wall is preventing the laser from going to the intended target. Such invisible walls can interfere with your arty strikes too.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

If you do aim at a mech, it's supposed to drop at its feet.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 22 January 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

If you do aim at a mech, it's supposed to drop at its feet, directly above where it was standing at the time you called for the strike.

To clarify.

#10 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

I always thought arty should be like the TAG - you point the arty-laser at a point and that's where the boom happens. So you have to hold it on target while the arty's inbound. Maybe even have a countdown thingy? I dunno - seems like that would be more fun, and skill based, than a huge, obvious smoke plume that doesn't always hit where you're aiming.

#11 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

If you can, if you have the angle, target between the legs right behind the target. If you hit it right. He will not see the smoke and after the first hit he will start going back, into more hits. If you cannot get the angle, target the mech itself, it will put it right under it.

Pro tipp: You can target stuff from the underside. Like the topside on Crimson Strait. Seismic while under it. Look where the most guys are and target your ceiling. The shells will hit the topside.

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have noticed that if you try to send arty while using the advanced zoom, you're going to have a bad time.

#13 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Thanks all. I'll try all that.

Related - I appears the training grounds do not have unlimited ammo? So I can only get in one arty strike before I have to quit match and then restart a new one?

#14 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

And I am pretty sure if you use the arty in the training grounds, it still costs 40K c-bills.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 22 January 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

Thanks all. I'll try all that.

Related - I appears the training grounds do not have unlimited ammo? So I can only get in one arty strike before I have to quit match and then restart a new one?

yes, the training grounds are for you to test out a new Mech build or get to know the maps, one of my tests for a new Mech is weather or not I have enough ammo to kill at least 6 of the testing grounds Mechs, if in a Mech where the primary weapons are ammo based, I run out without destroying at least 6 of the targets I almost definitely need more ammo.

if you had limitless ammo or strikes this would not be testing your Mech build

#16 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Ah that follows.

And I've been practicing with it in game all night, so allowing unlimited ammo in the training grounds wouldn't have saved me that much time anyway. I'll just keep working on it. It appears that I was targeting off my torso reticle instead of the arms.

Its not really *that* effective, but boy does it make people scatter out of their hides! :)

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 22 January 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Ah that follows.

And I've been practicing with it in game all night, so allowing unlimited ammo in the training grounds wouldn't have saved me that much time anyway. I'll just keep working on it. It appears that I was targeting off my torso reticle instead of the arms.

Its not really *that* effective, but boy does it make people scatter out of their hides! :)

yes area denial that is the primary use for Artillary and Air Strikes, I have had about 6 "hits" (the targeting reticule flashed red when you cause damage) but ended the match with less than 30 damage before.

UAV is far more effective for causing damage (assuming your team has any LRMs), helping your team or earning cbills/XL

#18 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:54 AM

Just to add a nice little trick some chap/ess discovered...

You can (apparently) aim at an active UAV and fire an Arty strike which will drop directly underneath it. :ph34r:

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostC J Sparrow, on 23 January 2015 - 02:54 AM, said:

Just to add a nice little trick some chap/ess discovered...

You can (apparently) aim at an active UAV and fire an Arty strike which will drop directly underneath it. :ph34r:

You're giving away top secret information! Shhhhhh!!! :blink:

Another good one is deliberately targeting invisible walls to get arty strikes to go past the surface you want to shoot around. If you hit the invisible wall of an overhang, for example, it drops below. If you hit a ceiling, even if the smoke is below the bombs go above.

#20 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

oh, so we're giving up glorious tech of the Manifold are we???

If they are hiding behind a lower building, with a higher one behind them, target the building directly behind, and above them. Arty rains down between the two.

If you're under the bridge in, say Crimson, and your seismic..you do have seismic, dont you?? says you have 2-4 of those ******* red evil players on top..drop the arty at YOUR own feet! Arty rains down above, and they never see it coming.

I have two more, but you must be worthy before I spill the beans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users