Mad Dog Center Torso hit box

11 replies to this topic

#1 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

How small is the Mad Dog's CT hit box?
The past two or three instances I dueled a cored Mad Dog (in close-to-mid range), I have not been able to hit its CT as long as it twisted the tiniest bit.

Makes me think the Mad Dog has a microscopic CT hit box, bc I have decent aim.

Granted, I also have the handicap of piloting the BJ-1DC, which has the second worst turning (in both amount and speed) of all Blackjacks.

Edited by Savage Sweets, 22 January 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#2 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Try hitting the CT from the side you cant miss it

#3 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 22 January 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Try hitting the CT from the side you cant miss it

Hard to do that with the piss-poor turning of the BJ-1DC. It literally cannot look behind itself at all. Its torso stops almost exactly perpendicular to its lower torso's facing direction.

I did try shooting the CT from its profile, but the arm got in the way.

P.S ~ For the smart asses who want to say "then don't use the BJ-1DC" or some such similar nonsense; I'm not using the BJ-1DC bc I want to. I'm only using it to reach Elite & Master skills on my other two BJs.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostSavage Sweets, on 22 January 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

How small is the Mad Dog's CT hit box?

Posted Image
Purple.

It's almost impossible to hit from the side (like the Dragon's CT should be). But it is fairly large.

#5 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thank you, Koniving. It is indeed quite slim. From the profile... yeah, that's nearly impossible to hit.

#6 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

FWIW I have died to CT coring in my Mad Dogs all of once, and it was because I was overheated. The side torsi are pretty much impossible to miss and don't get that much armor, just shoot that instead.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Best to just take out the legs or if you are unnoticed, go for the cockpit if you can land 35 damage in a single blow.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

For comparison, why the "Kitfox" is better than the "Adder"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice something?

Now the Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, and then the Summoner.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now look at the Summoner from the side.
Posted Image
Protruding both front and back is the CT, available to shoot at from ALL sides.
O.o;

Now after all of them, the tankiest IS mech in the entire game (due to hitboxes not imperfect hit registration).
Posted Image
Notice a theme?

Ever wonder why a non-exploiting Jenner (most of them) are so easy to kill?
Posted Image
Of course, you can turn this around. "2" rear armor, max front. Enjoy your near-invincibility.

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

can someone explain the kitfox and adder situation?

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:33 AM

mad dog can nearly completely hide its CT when twistin in. The above pics show this. It is great, because if you know this as a pilot, you cna spread dmg quite well, and once you lost a CT, this helps to eat all damage in the destroyed CT, forcing damage transfer. Which then means artificially "increasing" the CT HP by this

so when you wanna hit the MDD reliably in the CT, best is to aim between his legs if it faces you legwiese and tiests the upper torso away.

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

can someone explain the kitfox and adder situation?

In which way? in terms of hitboxes? well adder has worse hitboxes, because look at the picture. lern where the hitboxes are and you now where to aim. Adder has a much easier to hit CT, and you cna even hit the rear CT of the adder from the SIDE (lol)

SCR shows extemely well why it is such an evil mech, it has a slim shape and with this come some slim hitboxes. Together with the weird shaped mech I general, it easily spreads damage when twisting by simply making it nearly impossible to stay on a single location with any non PPFLD weapons.

compare this to the Nova, and you recignize why those 5 tons + the lesser speed of the Nova are dooming the Nova to be such a "bad mech" If yous tart comparing the dragon and Nova CT, you will realise the Nova is as bad as the Dragon, but the Nova unlike the drgaon is a 50t medium not a 60t heavy. So additional form bad CT it also has those low HP.

#11 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

Interesting... personally from the screenshot I do not think it's "that" easy to hit compaired to the cutefox. and the rear (from directly 90 degree side on) doesn't look that easy to hit unless his back is slightly more aimed towards me.

Idk, I somehow pull bad hitboxes well. I do well in XL thunderbolts and battlemasters before quirks.

Thank you for telling me though, I can kinda see how some angles would be easier and such. (not by much but I am not quite sure, I am not much of a meta player even though I have the same elo as them. (my friends say that I am so skilled that I am on par with the meta players in Elo without doing meta lol))

Thanks again.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Interesting... personally from the screenshot I do not think it's "that" easy to hit compaired to the cutefox. and the rear (from directly 90 degree side on) doesn't look that easy to hit unless his back is slightly more aimed towards me.

Idk, I somehow pull bad hitboxes well. I do well in XL thunderbolts and battlemasters before quirks.

Thank you for telling me though, I can kinda see how some angles would be easier and such. (not by much but I am not quite sure, I am not much of a meta player even though I have the same elo as them. (my friends say that I am so skilled that I am on par with the meta players in Elo without doing meta lol))

Thanks again.

yes but think further think about an 20% twisted adder from 90degree angle vs a 20% twisted kitfox from that angle. The big Hitbox difference practically becomes a much easier to hit thing now. and even a short sweep over this can mean 2 or 3 hits on it, or a lucky gauss be devasting. So it has a lot more effect than many would think it the heat of the wild battle.

And metaplayers, well I can do very well in the Nova as well and other non meta stuff. But fact is, in other (meta) mechs you would be better. Also "metamech players" is no special attribute, there are many people with meta builds that still play bad because they are just not skilled players. But amongst real equal skilled palyers the mech and its lodout will decide the winner. and when both skillwise and mechwise are the same, the tiny gap of randomness will be the deciding factor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users