- - - - -

Need Help Setting Up Joystick

13 replies to this topic

#1 Jagd Konig

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hello, Sorry for verbose 10000 deadwood. My questions are at the bottom.
I'll put my life story in a spoiler for those who dont mind the read.

Spoiler

I am using the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. Here are my questions.

Are right handed sticks viable? How do they match up against the HOTAS and left handed Joystick and mousers.

Can I only use this right handed stick for gameplay?

Do I need to use Logitech Profiler for Keybinds or MWO Keybinds?

Can anyone kindly provide me with instructions or keybinds for dummies screenshot for this joystick so I don't have to waste more time confusing myself with the axis and inverts, movement and keybindings as well as any other things I need to do to get on my way?

Having base movement keybinds to start of with would be great.
I am having the most trouble with getting movement to be fluid or feel natural.
I can assign the other buttons later as they are much easier for me.

(Not sure why but trying to assign movement keybinds to a joystick really screws with my brain, not sure if I'm just dumb but it just confuses me really badly.)

#2 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Sorry to say so, but you are better off sticking with a mouse and using the 3d Pro to do rudder and throttle. Joystick support is god awful.Best case is mouse, rudder and throttle.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

MWO keybinds can be handled under "Controller" in options, which is Separate from Key Bindings. Remember that.

The important thing to find out is whether or not the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a Zero Order joystick. If the answer is no, then you will not like the experience you are going to get. If the answer is yes, then it will feel similar to playing with a PS2 / PS3 controller. Not perfect but good enough to get away with it.

You can have the tiny stick do mech movement and the big stick do aim, or you can switch it to be big stick for mech movement and tiny stick for aim. Make certain to use the "Configure Axis" part of Controller to set up your Sticks.

Personally, I like a throttle stick (of the HOTAS) setup for my mech movement.

#4 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Other than that:

IGNORE the axes under controller that say "turn left" or "turn right"
You want to set
Pitch axis (up/ down) and invert
Yaw axis (left/right)
and Turn axis (rudder)
as well as throttle

You definitely want to invert Pitch
You may have to invert throttle, cannot remember.

You need to write a user cfg file.
See this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-users/
To do this:
Download notepad ++ cause it is better than notepad
Paste in the user.cfg commands in the first post
Save it in the MWO main folder. (The one where you can see the \bin and other folders, or you are not in the right folder.
BE SURE TO SAVE IN THE "ALL FILES" format, and type in user. cfg
If you do not do this, it will be user.cfg.txt, which will not be read.
Experiment.
Be frustrated.

To answer Koniving: No the 3d pro is not zero order.

#5 DERANGEDDM

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

I use HOTAS - and I am left-handed, which makes it annoying... I am far from a great pilot, but it works with the config changes Hammerhai suggested.

#6 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

newbie running Saitek models I've used for 10+ years, and I have to agree - left hand on throttle, right hand on mouse. Program the most used commands into your throttle, leave the one-offs like thermal vision and view scoreboard on the stick, which sits off above right, out of the way of the mouse.

And sorry, gonna hijack now because I am so frustrated playing stop go stop go with the throttle slider bar. Is there a way to go into the joystick ui and remove the slider bar = throttle assignment? I try to click on it and it says "key binding" but then no other input works and I have to hit escape to unfreeze everything. Right now, the slider bar is conflicting with the throttle itself, and I'm at the point of literally superglueing it into to middle position to keep it from borking my movement.

#7 DERANGEDDM

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Throttle is OK. Lower the, and I cannot emphasize this enough, lower the sensitivity of the stick in the settings for MWO.

#8 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Fenris, pretty much the only way to do this is to go into controllers, re assign your x or y axis to slider, save and the be sure to re assign x axis (for instance), back to turn. This will clear the binding you do not want.

#9 Jagd Konig

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I will be returning the Joystick and replacing it with an ambidextrous model or something else.

This is very unfortunate. I love logitech's equipment and for the price I paid the joystick is great, but from what I have heard unless I'm a left handed mouser its going to be useless. (Just purchased a right hand only mouse :o ) Guess I'll just pickup the logitech gaming mouse instead.

I cant believe I didn't even think of this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one of the cheap ambedextrious or left hand joysticks or even a cheap HOTAS? (Amazon Link would be amazing)

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostJagd Konig, on 22 January 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for one of the cheap ambedextrious or left hand joysticks or even a cheap HOTAS? (Amazon Link would be amazing)

I personally have considered using this ambidextrous stick with my mouse:

http://amzn.com/B001S0RTU0

Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 23 January 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#11 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

BIG thumbs up for this one.
People like Loc Nar and EvilC are working to get the Joystick support thing rolling again, and the first pre requisite is Hall sensors, which this stick has.
I can highly recommend getting this instead !!!!
Foust used this in his cockpit, I think. Talk to him.

#12 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

I have the G 602 gaming mouse and like it,
the G 502 may be even better and cheaper to boot. Search for g 502 proteus and read the thread.
Will look at HOTAS s and let you know, but cheap is never good with them. Whales buy them, and they are priced to suit.
You may want to look at buying a CH throttle, and if you want to play Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen, upgrade later with a combat stick or fighter stick. Not Hall sensor, but very good rep for Durability and programming power.

Here the link:
http://www.amazon.co...ch+throttle+pro

Oh, and a rudder is actually just about a must for "niceness".
Just checked and it should be possible to use the mini stick on the throttle for rudder control in a pinch. Get it piecemeal, over time. Good luck.

Edited by Hammerhai, 23 January 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

I'm trying to replace my mouse because of hand problems.

I'm using a Logitech G13 Gamepad for my left hand and it is wonderful.

For me, it is about if I can even play any longer. The pain is very bad.

#14 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

lol, I did not know this thread was from here. I've been all over the internet and MWO forums.

One guy says he has it figured out but I having a hard time reaching his page or whatever.

And people are talking about writing a program on Notepad(?) and something about a cfg or something file and my brain started to hurt....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users