• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

2 more missions...
A real nail biter...I was disconnected and lost about 1.25mechs while restarting and rejoining. That is why I lost command, and it didn't help in a very contested game.
Posted Image

Mission #2...
They had to make a desperate run at the gun at the very end...
Posted Image

Edited by MechregSurn, 06 February 2015 - 01:52 AM.

#22 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

It can be done, just guard the ALPHA gate on the hot CW map, throw everything at it.. do not peek.
Posted Image

#23 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

a loss on the new map, but we defended GEN 3 to the last and almost pulled it out.. they had to rush with their last mechs for a dramatic, sacrificial win.
Posted Image

#24 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

Honestly, my most consistently successful missions against Clans so far have been tagging along with Steiner pre-made groups. Which unfortunately are often hard to find, but when I can find them a Steiner unit will get me a win more often than not (particular shout-out to SRoT, I can't remember any drops with them that I've lost off the top of my head, at least as long as they made up more than half the team).

I generally observed three things that have to come together for an IS win against Clans to happen.

1: Map Awareness. Knowing what your objective is, knowing whether the enemy has to come to you or vice versa (ie when to camp, when to push), knowing where the kill zones/death traps are, paying attention to enemy contacts and reacting appropriately. Map awareness is vital to success on either attack or defense.

2: Cohesive Action. Regardless of what your loadout or particular tactic is, it is vital that everyone execute it cohesively and descisively. If you're pushing a single gate, everyone needs to fully commit when the push starts. If you're split-pushing, both sides need to commit simultaneously, evaluate how much resistance they're facing, then uniformly commit to pushing or holding based on that evaluation (see: Map Awareness). Synchronizing pushes and dropping in mechs that can work together (ie not dropping an assault during a light rush) are important.

3: Effective brawling. Let's face it, Clans are generally superior at range. They suffer less fall-off, do more damage, and being at range partially negates their weaknesses by giving them more time to keep their long-duration lasers on target and allowing them to disengage at-will to dissipate heat. The TDR9S or a coordinated LRM spam drop has the potential to trade effectively with Clans at range (though the latter depends on a lack of ECM or effective allied ECCM, good luck with that), but for the vast majority of IS mechs you want to get close. In practice, I have never yet seen an IS team win a ranged trade against a Clan team. Every winning IS team I've seen managed to close distance and brawl.

Being close allows you to spread out Clan laser damage via effective torso-twisting, negates the Clan drop-off advantage (you both have zero drop off at short range), and most importantly allows you to aggressively put pressure on overheated mechs with low-heat IS weapons, resulting in either self-destruction via override or free damage for you while they struggle to cool down. Use terrain whenever possible to force engagement ranges into the sub-400m bracket, where IS Autocannons and Large Lasers can be used to their greatest effect. Agree on a kill-plan (legs, STs, CTs, the important thing is everyone is trying to hit the same spot), concentrate your fire, force them to overheat and close in to finish them. Landing hits and making sure not to spread damage are obviously important to effective brawling, so good aim helps.

#25 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostE Rommel, on 21 February 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Honestly, my most consistently successful missions against Clans so far have been tagging along with Steiner pre-made groups. Which unfortunately are often hard to find, but when I can find them a Steiner unit will get me a win more often than not (particular shout-out to SRoT, I can't remember any drops with them that I've lost off the top of my head, at least as long as they made up more than half the team).

I generally observed three things that have to come together for an IS win against Clans to happen.

1: Map Awareness. Knowing what your objective is, knowing whether the enemy has to come to you or vice versa (ie when to camp, when to push), knowing where the kill zones/death traps are, paying attention to enemy contacts and reacting appropriately. Map awareness is vital to success on either attack or defense.

2: Cohesive Action. Regardless of what your loadout or particular tactic is, it is vital that everyone execute it cohesively and descisively. If you're pushing a single gate, everyone needs to fully commit when the push starts. If you're split-pushing, both sides need to commit simultaneously, evaluate how much resistance they're facing, then uniformly commit to pushing or holding based on that evaluation (see: Map Awareness). Synchronizing pushes and dropping in mechs that can work together (ie not dropping an assault during a light rush) are important.

3: Effective brawling. Let's face it, Clans are generally superior at range. They suffer less fall-off, do more damage, and being at range partially negates their weaknesses by giving them more time to keep their long-duration lasers on target and allowing them to disengage at-will to dissipate heat. The TDR9S or a coordinated LRM spam drop has the potential to trade effectively with Clans at range (though the latter depends on a lack of ECM or effective allied ECCM, good luck with that), but for the vast majority of IS mechs you want to get close. In practice, I have never yet seen an IS team win a ranged trade against a Clan team. Every winning IS team I've seen managed to close distance and brawl.

Being close allows you to spread out Clan laser damage via effective torso-twisting, negates the Clan drop-off advantage (you both have zero drop off at short range), and most importantly allows you to aggressively put pressure on overheated mechs with low-heat IS weapons, resulting in either self-destruction via override or free damage for you while they struggle to cool down. Use terrain whenever possible to force engagement ranges into the sub-400m bracket, where IS Autocannons and Large Lasers can be used to their greatest effect. Agree on a kill-plan (legs, STs, CTs, the important thing is everyone is trying to hit the same spot), concentrate your fire, force them to overheat and close in to finish them. Landing hits and making sure not to spread damage are obviously important to effective brawling, so good aim helps.

Every piece of advice here is completely sound. These are the pointers you should be listening to. Pay attention folks.

#26 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Yeah E Rommel's advice is pretty much the secret to NKVA and Night Scorn's success. It's how to play well.

#27 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

The number one advice I can give to solo players in the CW cue is to look at the planets cue and see if there's a group of 6-11 you can be the extra guy for. If you see 11 single players waiting to defend and the planet shows one less than a multiple of 12 needed for defense, you are gonna have a bad time.

Look for a place for you to fit into a team and you'll be the extra guy and it will go well for you. You'll have an organized team to work with and at worst, it will be a learning opportunity. Join a team of people who are all solo and it's gonna be a cluster.

#28 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

One thing that might help more people get into CW in general actually, might be if units started running 8-11 man pre-mades deliberately for recruitment purposes.

The reasoning behind this being that a team of 8-11 is usually enough to carry 1-4 pugs, as long as said pugs at least know what W and M1 do.

This will absorb some of your faction's pugs into effective teams, allowing your unit to spread its forces over more fights while reducing the number of 12x1 pug teams feeding your enemy. More importantly though, it gives them a chance to see effective play first-hand, introduces them to Teamspeak, builds rep with your unit (as long as your members are on their best behavior, choose your "recruiters" wisely), and improves morale by showing them not only that beating Clans is possible, but how to do it.

Yes, it'll be less effective than a pure 12-man because the pugs more often than not *will* be a drag on your team, and sometimes you'll get completely screwed by discos or people who only manage to do 93 damage across 4 mechs (seriously, seen it happen). When you absolutely, positively must ensure a win against a tough opponent, a 12-man is probably the better option.

But if you're not putting the pedal to the metal at the time, I'd recommend splitting into groups of 8-11 for the reasons outlined above, while keeping just a couple pure 12-mans as a clean-up crew. The exact number of course depends on how many people you've got to fit into those groups, and how many pugs you believe your unit is capable of carrying.

Edited by E Rommel, 22 February 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#29 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Rommel gets it.

a 9 man drop is the ideal training ground for puggers and a great way to find smart puggers to recruit.

#30 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yep, know that one first hand as my unit rarely ever has enough for a 12, but often runs 6 - 10.

At 8 - 10 you can still carry the match if the solo players run off and die.

At 8 - 10 the solo players can see an effective attack/defense, viable tactics, and is most likely to stick with a single large group staying together.

A group of 8 - 10 can focus on helping the few solo players rather than a small premade trying to herd 6+ solo players.

Often the same solo player will drop on the same world over and over if the player finds success running with the 8 - 10 player premade. This helps team cohesion even if the solo player doesn't want to join the unit of the premade; at least both sides will know how to work with the other and what the other is likely to do.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 23 February 2015 - 07:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users