#1 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

Some of you don't know me, but I developed and ran the Mechwarrior Registry for 10 years. It was an online planetary mechwarrior league that played from MW2 through MW4 Mercs.

I have been mech piloting for a long time, but I am actually a tactician and strategist. Thus my passion for resource based planetary leagues. Some of you may even be interested to know that I once led the Romulans to victory in Starfleet Command's online league. Roms were hated and had few players, but we figured it out.

The first few weeks, I merc'd for the clans and eventually decided that the bigger challenge was developing a way to beat them with all their advantages.

Enough about me, here is the nitty gritty rules for beating the clans in CW as it stands in the current Beta.

#1. You drop deck should be 2 large assaults and 2 fast lights (at least 1 ecm). Medium mechs are where the clan mechs have the largest advantage. A Stormcrow is unequalled at its weight class.

#2. On Defense, protect the Alpha/Charlie spawn point. Many clans have such a large advantage that they have resigned to farm IS players spawn points. If the first spawn point falls, the match turns into a 8 vs. 12 match. The clan group then proceeds to farm the opposite spawn point, and the match becomes a 4 vs. 12.

#3. Take Artillery strikes and use them all. This is the only way to break up the clan formations and spawn farms, at least until we get Tom Toms.

#4. Everyone on an IS team MUST present a firing line at the alpha gate. If they don't come in alpha and the game is lost.. it is worth trading 33%-50% victories where we currently get about 10% or less.

#5. Concentrate fire on the largest clan mech you can find. Always go for the bigger mech. Clan light mechs are at best equal to IS light mechs.

#6. On offense, the clan groups will very likely come out because most are focused on getting to the opponent spawn to farm kills. So, prepare for them to RUSH.. even when you are on offense. Make a firing line, art strike them.

This is my short, opinionated guide. Please comment, improve, ignore or use to kick clan butt!

#2 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

This is very unsound advice.

#3 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

I disagree with you on nearly all points.

#1 - Thunderbolts are the best IS mechs right now. Take 3 of them and a Firestarter/jenner

#2 - Protect the generators? That's how they're going to win. If they are that focused on spawn camping then you should be able to core them from behind.

#3 - Okay, I'll give you this one. I don't like it, but arty spam is effective.

#4 - If they scout at all then you will lose 100% of your games. Find where they are going and present a firing line there.

#5 - This is fine with one minor tweak: Shoot Dires, then Timbers, then the biggest left.

#6 - Depends on the map really. In the Ice map they will hang back and make use of their superior range. If they do come out, then a light rush can probably take out the generators before they can get back.

For my advice: Teamwork and coordination are OP. That's the key to winning. If you can get on comms, then that's the way to do it, if not then focus targets, stay with the team, and coordinate through chat.

#4 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

You mean you're still playing CW (Continuous Waiting)? Also known as Spawncamping Mode or Ghost Drop Mode? You're better off waiting until it's no longer Beta and then come up with a guide for the live version instead of a guide for a broken Beta that's going to be fixed (it wouldn't be Beta if it didn't need fixing) sometime this year.

#5 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

I do have better individual stats when taking 3 tdr and a fast ecm light, but with a atlas I can sometimes delay or spoil the first "clan death ball zerg" of less confident groups. if we have 3 atlas at the alpha gate, they simply wouldn't get through the gate.

Edited by MechregSurn, 31 March 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#6 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Advice from a faction noted for never winning CW battles, "3 atlas in a row at the gate" is this your IS alt posting?

Atlas is the very worst mech you can take, even the DDC is terribad.

if you do insist on following OP's advice, please stay far away from the clan border.

#7 Salinor

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

[color=#959595]if we has 3 atlas at the alpha gate, they simply wouldn't get through the gate. [/color]

[color=#959595]You drop deck should be 2 large assaults and 2 fast lights (at least 1 ecm).[/color]

Are you sure your not a steiner in disguise? :blink:

#8 Prophetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 750 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostAbivard, on 31 January 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Advice from a faction noted for never winning CW battles, "3 atlas in a row at the gate" is this your IS alt posting?

if you do insist on following OP's advice, please stay far away from the clan border.

You make me want to take back our wins defending your CJF planet last night. It ended at 47 percent.

We helped right after the Davies threw up the white flag. So don't give me that our faction doesn't win any CW matches.

Your also wrong about an atlas DDC being a bad mech for CW.

We might take your advice about staying off your clan front if that's how FRR feels about HK pilots.

#9 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:10 AM

Advice from a faction noted for never winning CW battles.

I lol'd.

#10 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

This is pretty funny. I'd love to challenge any FRR loyalist unit to a CW match and see the outcome.

#11 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

Advice from a faction noted for never winning CW battles,

/looks at FRR Territory
/looks at Kurita Territory
/looks again at FRR Territory

Seems Legit.

Abivard, your posting does more harm to the FRR than the full weight of the Clan forces combined.

#12 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 03 February 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

/looks at FRR Territory
/looks at Kurita Territory
/looks again at FRR Territory

Seems Legit.

Abivard, your posting does more harm to the FRR than the full weight of the Clan forces combined.

Every faction has a Gyrok.

View PostAbivard, on 23 January 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

This is very unsound advice.

It would be to everyone's benefit that you share your accumulated knowledge rather than just dismiss what was being presented as helpful advice. The IS doesn't have the benefit of 55 days of pug drops to hone their tactics. If you want people to defend your borders successfully, then add your wisdom to the pool, don't piss in it.

#13 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

Well, after running many pug drops, which is my focus here, we found a tactic that works vs teams and requires little coordination after the beginning of the match.

1. Have the group take 3 to 6 lights in the first defensive wave. They get to the gate faster than the clanners but need to be used as interceptors when they enter the gate. The bigs then get better shots as the clanners try to hit the light mechs. It sows confusion.

2. When the lights get killed they return to the gate in larger mechs. This cuts off reinforcements and presents a flanking manuver to the main clan force. This forces the clan to recreate a deathball before entering the gate in wave 2. It also forces them to open additions gates, which may split their force depending upon the group.

3. Because of the faster clan mechs, if there is not a large pug force at the gates to defend, everyone retreats to defend the base. Either way the match is now a toss up,

#14 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

Faction was a wrong choice, " Solo pugger faction" as opposed to 'Unit factions' is what I meant to convey.

I meant no disrespect to the DCMS as a whole, nor to any real units or coordinated groups that are in the DCMS. The FRR and DCMS have enjoyed a close relationship since almost the beginning of CW, I have fully supported and worked towards our two Dragons to combat the Clans as well as speaking out against Davion aggression against the DCMS whilst in the midst of massive clan assaults.

I Apologize for a poor choice of a word and being to lazy to type more words that would have better clarified what I meant.

I do stand firm on pugs being a detriment to community warfare based on THEIR anti-social behaviors and complete disregard for others, as well as the unsound advice of the original OP's post.

#15 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

I would like to add an addendum to the OP's guide: do not treat IS assaults and lights as the second coming of Jesus and assume they'll win you the match. Hop on a VOIP client to coordinate with your team instead. I would rather join a well-coordinated team composed of trial lights with a few well-equipped leaders making calls than a team filled with the most expensive assaults it can field that can't coordinate their drops. Pugs get farmed, that's just how it goes.

P.S. the D-DC is far from terribad.

#16 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

If Atlas is the worst mech possible, I will take the XL Stalker in the trials list. And then Locusts and then Awesomes. I'll spam XL Stalkers if I have to get across that the Atlas has plenty of uses. Maybe you can't find any, but for sure it's the best form of ECM upfront and brawling has potent in S/DDC.

#17 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

If the tactics discussed here have brought the DCMS success, perhaps we should put pride on the back-burner and see if we can learn something from them. In the SoR, we've been working on tactics that are similar, using the beefier builds to actually farm the clans on both attack and defense, while keeping a small handful of interceptors built to handle lights. This has been wildly successful on all but the most skilled of competitive teams. The only problem is, we don't have enough people doing it. There's always room for expansion in tactics though. I'd personally welcome any combat footage, tip, hint, or whatever that can help us fight back the horde of clans on all of our doorsteps.

Even though this is still beta, we have the opportunity to band together to show the clans that they are not welcome to stay in the Inner Sphere. All it takes is organization, dedication, communication, and teamwork. The clans have obviously figured out how to do this effectively, or they wouldn't be knocking on the doorstep to Terra. Look to the lore. We're actually in a similar situation, with the factions still splintered, the FRR on the brink of extinction, and the future of the IS hanging in the balance as the clans sweep in at a frightening pace.

As a dedicated FRR pilot, I also have to admit there is a vested interest for us to make friends in every place we can. In canon, the FRR has a very short history, but for MWO, for this time, we have a chance to write a unique story on the battlefield, and create a unique turning point in the history of Mechwarrior Online. I hope I don't come off as too RP-like, but it's things like this that take games to a whole new level, when you have a community vested in taking the experience to new levels.

All one has to do is look around these forums for examples of how the game has influenced players. Everything from storytelling to tournaments has sprung up around what we have here. Even if CW isn't finished, we have enough at the moment to have an outstanding time if we can focus on what we love about the game.

#18 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

I will post the scores of the next few pug drops via screenshots the next time I am on to lead drops. Last night we were pretty successful, losing one match at the gun but up 40-25 (ish), winning one counter-attack, and losing one defense horribly.

#19 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

I hate to say it but I don't think I can really stress enough that pug dropping usually does more to hurt the borders than it does to help them. You don't have to be a tryhard but we have open house teamspeaks that you are free to join. At the very least make sure your team is in communication.

#20 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

2 pug drops from last night...

1st victory in a counter attack... cool, but I am more concerned about defensive wins as pugs.
Posted Image

Loss at the gun, but we were up 40 - 29
Posted Image

Edited by MechregSurn, 05 February 2015 - 08:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users