#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostBsrlin, on 24 January 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

This version of the game is chaotic/hectic in comparison to the version I played then...and I remember the repair/reload vehicles that followed me into the battles (there were three)...they had to be guarded a bit as the AI would find them and destroy them...the three-sided contraption would close up around the mech and do it's thing...Ok, enough memory lane: (I'm 56 years old in RL, maybe getting to that "I remember in my day stage"?...nah, ;) )

That would be Mechwarrior 3. In my opinion one of the best Mechwarriors made. Though from what I've seen, oddly enough some of the truly best were made before 1990, such as the original Mechwarrior and the Battletech video games like Crescent Hawks.

I really do enjoy the depth of those. I wonder if you've played Megamek (an online version of the TT) / Battletech itself? You'd be quite surprised what sorts of interesting things can be done. Last night I played til 4 in the morning with a few MWO players on Megamek. When my Hunchback died by headshot, her final move (random pilot gave me "Chrissa Davis") had her firing 8 medium lasers. One of them crit the new guy's foot, forcing him prone for 30 seconds and later to try and navigate with a limp on especially hill-bound terrain.

My Urbanmech went undefeated (even got to spend some time HullDown in a bunker-like position to try and ambush someone). The Nin Kei bit the dust though and the Cataphract 4X took quite a beating (but it also did most of the damage to everyone). Not bad for a four way battle against a Guilotine, Centurion CN9-D3, two Marauders and an Annihilator swearing Zellbriggen despite having the biggest unit there with quad Ultra/10s.

----

Back on MWO. One thing that might help you is an old military mentality for squads. "Do as your leader does. Go where he goes. Shoot where he shoots, even if you don't see a target."

Also if you get a chance to gang up on an enemy, go for the legs -- it makes certain the enemy can't get away.
What mech(s) are you using at the moment?

#22 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hmm, thought this would have generated a bit more interest!

#23 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 24 January 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

Hmm, thought this would have generated a bit more interest!

What?!

*loosens necktie* I'm tell ya, no respect at all. I used to share my cockpit with a mop...

#24 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:44 AM

Another Code sent out!!

ONE LEFT.
I was going to give it away tonight, but.......really...I'll let the worker drones show up at their respective offices and dole it out Monday night to give all the noobs who are thoughtful enough to read the...."new" player forum a chance!

p.s. I wish I could give my pirates bane away...lawd i hates that thing..yet, having coughed up real money...I'm loathe to toss it in the fire

ok Back to my

Posted Image

#25 Marvinini

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

Ok, not sure if it still applies, as I didnt really get what you are reffering to when you're talking about worker drones, but I'll try my luck anyway by posting here.
I just started playing about 2 weeks ago and wouldn't mind a boost in progressing a little faster, as I think I'm slowly getting the hang of things...
Was just browsing the Forums to get some inspirations on how to improve my play when I found this topic. So this will just serve as my first Forum post :)
Thanks for the toppic anyway. Helping newbies along is something I consider a good thing ;)
Regards,

Marvin

#26 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostMarvinini, on 25 January 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Ok, not sure if it still applies, as I didnt really get what you are reffering to when you're talking about worker drones

One of the folks who got a free mechbay last week mentioned the only times they actually visit the forums were during the work week....now, while I can't condone using WORK time to screw off...figured I'd wait till monday night before giving the last one away.

Everyone is still in the running (EXCEPT those two how got it already!!)

#27 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Only a couple hours left to get your entries in!!

#28 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 26 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Only a couple hours left to get your entries in!!

So, did I count up just 9 people on this post that wanted the premium time and you gave two of them out already to that list? What'cha going to do, roll a die for the last one? Oooo... oooo... would you settle for a bad joke?

The rookie fresh out of training camp goes up to his superior for his first assignment.
He asks his commanding officer, "What is my first assignment, sir."
His commanding officer looks at him and says, "Well, we're in need of a new assault pilot since our last one KIA'd. The Clanners are really tearing us up out there on the front lines and are enjoying targeting the biggest mechs first. So, I'm giving you the option of choosing your own mech to fight in. How do you feel about that pilot?"
The rookie says, "Awesome."

Edit: Awwww... looks like I was too little to late to try... ;)

Edited by Scum of the Earth, 26 January 2015 - 09:07 PM.

#29 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 25 January 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

p.s. I wish I could give my pirates bane away...lawd i hates that thing..yet, having coughed up real money...I'm loathe to toss it in the fire

Do you Locust with the regular ones? The Peanut Butter is an amazing machine, but if you go straight to it expecting ECM to cover your rear you're going to get thrashed. I'd recommend trying the 3M out if you haven't already to get a feel for the "made of tissue paper" playstyle. Getting the hang of getting within 30 meters and back away alive will help you a lot. Plus you totally already have a good engine. :D

#30 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

Yes pleaseeeeeee!!!! If not too late...

#31 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostTim East, on 26 January 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

Do you Locust with the regular ones? The Peanut Butter is an amazing machine

Actually, it went on sale, and bought it. Then, purchased two more, grinded them out to master, then and only then, finished off the PissBat as I named it.
I keep seeing amazing threads about its success, and it just doesn't ring with me for whatever reason.
Like my affair with the shadowhawks, never like them, and yet, the Kintaro (for me) is a slayer, 300 battles just under a 2 KtD ratio, it always, always makes money regardless what my team does. I'd rate myself as "average"

Porcorosso101, I had intended on ending it Sunday night, but very surprised at the interest, so I ran it until Monday night and really? Stunned more didn't want it.

Either our player base IS dwindling, or (as I suspect) the vast majority of new players, download, and plunge right into battle, and either get hooked, or uninstall the first night.

And, I do not think the majority of players ever visit the forums. If they do, its for specific "whats the best assault" type questions skipping arguably the most valuable subforum here

#32 Vyntex

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

I have been reading this post for a few days but was hesitant in responding. I have just started playing for about 3 days. Saved up the Cadet Bonus and purchased a Timberwolf as I am a bit of a fan. Was suprised how quck it was to get it with Cadet Bonus + Challenge 3 day XP. Not sure why Tonnage is off.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5290779b6705c0c

Thanks That Dog

Edited by Vyntex, 27 January 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#33 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostVyntex, on 27 January 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

I have been reading this post for a few days but was hesitant in responding. I have just started playing for about 3 days. Saved up the Cadet Bonus and purchased a Timberwolf as I am a bit of a fan. Was suprised how quck it was to get it with Cadet Bonus + Challenge 3 day XP. Not sure why Tonnage is off.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eaa5b0adbbe8674

It might have been a tad easier than normal, because a sale just started making the T-wolves (and a bunch of other clan mechs) 25% off of their regular c-bill price.

#34 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

vyntex, you have zero armor, jack those numbers to max, THEN start adding goodies, and barely shave armor as needed

TBR-C

#35 Vyntex

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 27 January 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

It might have been a tad easier than normal, because a sale just started making the T-wolves (and a bunch of other clan mechs) 25% off of their regular c-bill price.

I bought it like a day or two before sale. I was like the Timberwolf will never go on sale lol.

#36 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostVyntex, on 27 January 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I bought it like a day or two before sale. I was like the Timberwolf will never go on sale lol.

Ah, that sucks. Well, if you can grind out the c-bills quickly you can pick up another one before it's over :)

#37 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 27 January 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Actually, it went on sale, and bought it. Then, purchased two more, grinded them out to master, then and only then, finished off the PissBat as I named it.
I keep seeing amazing threads about its success, and it just doesn't ring with me for whatever reason.
Like my affair with the shadowhawks, never like them, and yet, the Kintaro (for me) is a slayer, 300 battles just under a 2 KtD ratio, it always, always makes money regardless what my team does. I'd rate myself as "average"

You know, the trial Kintaro served me admirably. I really should think about buying them, but I'd have to get/free up more mechbays first. Plus I think if I do wind up spending money on this game again, it'll probably be for a Dragon pack. I loved my Dragons back before the wipe.

The thing about the PB is that you can't solo things like a regular Locust, which is why I like it less than my 3M even though it statistically performs better. I really just hate hanging back and poking until my team finally decides to attack or is all dead from snipe-warrior online. Also, I'm not super-fond of the default loadout on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users