Cockpit Monitors

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Cockpit Monitors (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see functional monitors?

1. Yes, It'd enhance the experience of piloting a 'mech (139 votes [86.34%])

Percentage of vote: 86.34%

2. Maybe, if you could toggle it or the HUD (15 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

3. Nah, It'd be a distraction from the combat, because pew pew (7 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'd rather they just remove the monitors.

#22 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

Greetings all,

From the start of MWO there was a design purpose for the monitors.
- It was deemed necessary to include these elements in every 'Mech designed and built into the game.
- There was to be some form of info directed to the specified locations within each 'different' 'Mech.

We are now a few years into the game and still have no tactical use or ability for these systems or art/stats elements.
- We do need to either turn down or off the light emitting from these items in the cockpit. (new toggle setting)
- They do 'in some cases' block the Pilots view in side directions, but provide not current use.
- They are 'hard coded' into the cockpit design and set for 'future' info to be sent to them.
(may have been a bit too ambitious design, at the time for PGI)

From my earlier posts I've suggested the ability to 'place them out of the way'. But considering all the resources needed to actually complete that task, from art, design, animation, background code, it would be just as easy to make them work.
- Although the earlier 'Mech designs do still have 'way to large' sized monitors, some appearing in the 21 inch scale to the Pilot!
- If your going to place monitors of that size, in a sometimes tight fitting 'Mech cockpit, there had better be a very good reason.
~ if we look at the items that do have some form of info on them, they are not HUD images, but coded to the 'Mech cockpit and the location of that screen. Perhaps that is where the difficulties for PGI start.

Each screen in every chassis is located in a different location, perhaps a different size or shape, and needs the game engine or code to format the required information, have the different locations for each chassis cockpit set and send the display info to only those parameters. That's every 'Mech chassis we have now or will be designed in the future, still a bit of a daunting amount of code work for an engineer. Just to make 'what may never be' a Pilots usable feature. (and pay for the $ of design)
- Everything we see in the cockpit, controls wise, is only 'Artwork' and does not function.
- The entire reason for the monitors was as a 'quick reference' to the Pilot of what the main controls were showing.
- Many features were to be included in these displays, sadly the time and resources required has not been available to PGI to fill out there function.

In some cases, if you were to remove the monitor/s it would require the artists to 'sometimes' add additional cockpit wall detail that the monitors neatly hid and didn't actually need completing.
- For some pilots if they have there FOV set tight they may never even see those side monitors!
~ (I run 3 monitors so always have them present, not so great for some 'Mechs.)

It would be a reasonable question for Russ and one of the next 'Town Halls', if PGI has had any resent discussion about what to do with this, these elements. A least find out where PGI is on functionality or if placed into the 'much later' status for resource usage.

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

#23 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

I would prefer more options to the current views that have them force fed into the smallish boxes of the "Cockpit"

Back view and Downwards view (for death from above) gets my vote!

#24 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

View Post9erRed, on 24 January 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

- At one time (very early design and Beta) these side monitors were not just info screens, but on some 'Mech were actually side views. Replacing what could not be seen by the Pilot in that direction. (example: Hunchback and right view through the shoulder cannon.)

So is not true that is impossible with that engine, picture in picture.

#25 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

Greetings all,

To answer the picture in picture question:

No, it's not true. The engine can indeed offer more than one view, but it needs to completely render this 2nd view.
- Basically requiring two overlays of the same info, and very much a resource hog.
- It would cripple most borderline or low end systems and drive the fps down on every other system.

9erRed

#26 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:51 AM

Besides rear view and downwards view, I could use forward view for those cases I'm doing hit and run. I tend to hit obstructions in with my torso extremely twisted in those cases. However, I do understand using the monitors for these views is not practical, as it has been said in this thread.

How about some more detailed lancemate information? For example, which enemy letter they are currently targeting, if any. Some meaningless, purely ornamental images that would work just like the cockpit items might be good too.

#27 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

You know that sounds like it might be cool, if your lance mate had a target that show up on your montior, and was taged target 1,2or 3, or even A,B,D,C. Then you could Focus fire on that target, could be a both though if it was used for air strikes, or mortar strikes.

#28 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

#29 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

It's called a "neurohelmet" standard equipment you put on your head. That's why you have the HUD. I would rather have the HUD customizable. Not really sure, but extra functional monitors could impede the game performance (poor as it is now).

#30 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

I don't think we need all of the available monitor's that we have in the mech anyway.. the could remove some of them, and maybe allow us to add up to 4 monitor's to the cockpit

#31 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

The biggest problem with the extra monitors is depending on the unique mech's cockpit, not all the monitors are visible around the HUD. Maybe if the HUD was introduced into the monitors...

#32 L e x

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

It's simple:
  • Do something with them
OR
  • Remove them
Doesn't matter what they do with them. Put ANYTHING in them, even if it isn't dynamic.
Just not "Auto Detect - No Signal".

Whatever is easiest for you PGI, just put SOMETHING.

#33 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

The mechs should have a rear view monitor as well.

#34 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Sounds like the cockpit designs have them 'hard coded' into the screen, so you could imagine the work that might be needed to remove them all.
I would expect, but haven't actually checked, that the monitors are of a standard size and shape.
Even though they might be in different locations in each mech I would think it possible to designate a particular function to appear on them.
eg.
Display Readout A on Monitor type A
Display Command menu on Monitor type B
Display Comms chatter on Monitor type C
etc

Would be nice to see them having some function.
I wouldn't want to see I replace the virtual HUD, but the ability to alter where certain elements are displayed (HUD or monitor or not at all) would be nice.

@9erRed, the zoomed in radar is a good idea.

Edited by 50 50, 02 July 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#35 Val_yrie

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

I personally would really like to see at least the currently implemented monitors working in all 'mechs.
:v

#36 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

I think some of the newer Mechs keeps track of your mission kills

#37 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

I'd also like a way to snap between a camera view of what's behind you. I've been asking for this for a year.

#38 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

The only monitor I want above all others - back view camera.

#39 Val_yrie

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

I'd say just making the monitors work is a good course of action.
zoomed in maps.
the status of special equip (alive or destroyed)
heat sink status (alive or destroyed)
ammo status (what ammo is where and has it been used up yet?)
lance mate targeting info (who your lance is targeting?)
different views (would be really difficult. so not likely)
what equipment the mech has (bap, command computers, etc)
what ammo types are loaded on the mech and guns (if multiple types is added)
status of actuators (if we can ever crit them)
status of engine, cockpit, life support and gyro (if we can ever crit them)
if we are able to be targeted.
status of jump jets.
module data.
extra faff. (chat log, weapon status, ammo counts, lance mate data, heat and heat distribution, etc etc.)
mech computer system readouts (extra faff. status of computer systems, errors from systems as things are damaged, mech boot up process info, etc)
coolant level monitors (extra faff)
etc.

ill expand the list as more ideas are thrown around.

#40 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:07 AM

Definatelly, something needs to be done to fill in "the blanks" (pun intended)..

Static pictures or animations, doesen't matter, as long as its not empty black screens..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users